CPU_wrong_001.jpg
CPU_wrong_003.jpg
0ed588560508a90ac12405b838c8209559d63350.jpg
holo_zero_003.jpg
holo_zero_004.jpg
holo_zero_004.jpg
holo_zero_003.jpg
holo_zero_001.jpg
There are 3,082 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 62.
#1052 4 years ago

Very excited to see this in action.

I would lose the rotating cube entirely. Keep it simple. Use the full screen.

The video has sound, where will sound play when the videos play? Or is that just for jazzing up the youtube video?

#1053 4 years ago

Great work. Very interested for my Creature but I also do not understand the rotating cube as it does not fit with the game in any way.

Cheers.

#1054 4 years ago

I don't get the rotating cube either.

#1055 4 years ago
Quoted from Bakerman:

Great work. Very interested for my Creature but I also do not understand the rotating cube as it does not fit with the game in any way.
Cheers.

Agree, do not use effects they did not had in that time. Just keep it plain and simple. No creature will need that 'fancy' videos . So basically the mod has my attention but it will all be in the execution of the video's if it is for me.

#1056 4 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Agree, do not use effects they did not had in that time. Just keep it plain and simple. No creature will need that 'fancy' videos . So basically the mod has my attention but it will all be in the execution of the video's if it is for me.

No offense but I disagree, it’s a mod, make it as flashy and elaborate as possible leaving the original hologram in the dust. People make all kinds of mods including LEDs which are not plain and simple but flashy and very noticeable

#1057 4 years ago

Extracted and vectorized the necessary elements to create the animation for the KISS. The monster was also isolated, from the scene of the film, in order to color it image by image, add water, vegetation, sky and some other animated element.

As for the videos, as I said, everyone can create their own videos, enable or disable the ones I give with the kit, or replace them with others, in that aspect the Kit is totally open to the configuration and customization that each one want to do

I already gave the information of the video format and the tool (ffmpeg) to be used to convert any video format to H264 format without audio, which is the one that manages the kit.

a5523d55-334b-49c1-a620-e11f22a28a97.jpga5523d55-334b-49c1-a620-e11f22a28a97.jpg
ScreenHunter_008.jpgScreenHunter_008.jpg

#1058 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Very excited to see this in action.
I would lose the rotating cube entirely. Keep it simple. Use the full screen.
The video has sound, where will sound play when the videos play? Or is that just for jazzing up the youtube video?

There is no sound for now, maybe in future firmware updates I will add it to the software if there are enough interested people to request it. It would also require additional hardware to mix the Raspberry sound with the sound of the machine. That requires an additional study, and taking care of it now would delay the project even more.

#1059 4 years ago

First test for the video of hardware and software testing phases, during system startup. Indicates the status of the hardware and software. If an operational problem is detected, an error message is displayed, and the program stops.

In this video there are still a few things that I do not like and must be corrected. Put the header text in the upper part, the phase under test in the middle of the screen, indicating the number of the 11 possible phases, and in the lower part place a status bar that indicates the percentage of the total checked.

The background video is being rendered, it is the one that requires more time of process. I'm waiting for the video of the KISS and the monster, and I can already try and show the product in operation.

My idea is to offer the product with the first 5 videos, the rest of the videos will go up to the Github, as the designer finishes them, for free download. Likewise, the firmware updates will also be uploaded to the Github. All updates are free and the initial package of 22 videos of the kit.

#1060 4 years ago

Final version of the check video at startup.

The general text of the verification process has been placed, in the header, the checking phase now appears in the center and numbered, a status bar is added indicating the checked percentage of the total to be reviewed (11 phases).

#1061 4 years ago

Trying one more idea for the monster video of the Hologram for Creature kit.

We still have to make many corrections until the final video, for now they are just tests. The monster comes out too small and should be more focused. The background is going to change to a more nocturnal environment, a darker sky, with fewer stars, and darker vegetation. We are going to add some more special effects.

For this video, the monster has been extracted from the original film (in black and white), and painted image by image. In that aspect the work is quite good, also the effects of water, both that of the moving lake, and the splashing of the monster's arms against the surface of the water, all this has been added.

#1062 4 years ago

This is starting to look great, good job!

#1063 4 years ago

Cool.
So what is this thing going to cost?

#1064 4 years ago

Really like how this is coming along - good stuff!!

Keep the updates coming

#1065 4 years ago

I know there is no added sound for this mod as of yet, but looking at that creature video I keep hearing this in my head and thinking yeah it needs to play that...

#1066 4 years ago

This is the final version of the System Check video. Added sound and some texts were fixed. In the header now it says "Checking System, please wait ...", and after finishing all the checks it now says "Ok and the game starts now ...".

Although all videos will include sound, the first firmware version will not use it. And when I add sound support to the firmware, in the future, some additional hardware will be needed to be able to connect the Raspberry's sound output to the pinball sound mixer. I have to study the design of the additional hardware, to try to make it as simple as possible to install.

#1067 4 years ago

This is awesome. I cant wait to add this to my game.

#1068 4 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

Cool.
So what is this thing going to cost?

Thank you. I have not yet calculated the final price. In addition I am constantly contacting new suppliers to try to get better prices, mainly the TFT panel, which is where I find the most price differences.

The estimate, as I said long ago is between 300 and 370 Euros + shipping.

#1069 4 years ago

Definitely interested in this Mod...

#1070 4 years ago

I think 280-350 Euros was the speculated price, but I understand that will depend on the final components. It looks like a must have upgrade wherever the price lands!

Quoted from pinballsp:

The estimate, as I said long ago is between 300 and 370 Euros + shipping.

#1071 4 years ago

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere in this post but what is the power supply for this? What will it connect to? I'm pretty overloaded now with mods, may have to disconnect one to support this.

Greg

#1072 4 years ago
Quoted from aceshye:

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere in this post but what is the power supply for this? What will it connect to? I'm pretty overloaded now with mods, may have to disconnect one to support this.
Greg

The kit's power supply will be the unregulated 12v of the driver board. It can be connected to J116, J117 or J118 with two quick splicers, it is the easiest way.

I enclose images to identify the connection points for the unregulated 12v, and a video on how to use the quick splicers for a quick and easy connection.

WPC89_001 .jpgWPC89_001 .jpgWPC89_002.jpgWPC89_002.jpgWPC89_003.jpgWPC89_003.jpg

#1073 4 years ago

Some improvements in the videos for the kit.

Video of ERROR in System Verification. Sound effects have been added and now the phase in which the error occurred is shown, remaining there for several minutes, the program is stopped until the problem is resolved.

As for the Monster video, some quite appreciable modifications have been made, although there are still some things to improve (increase the brightness and saturation of the monster), but it is already close to what I want to achieve with this video.

#1074 4 years ago

Looking good. One issue to note- if there is a malfunction during loading will you be able to bypass to play a game?

#1075 4 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

Looking good. One issue to note- if there is a malfunction during loading will you be able to bypass to play a game?

If an error is detected, at startup, it is because something is missing, or some of the hardware has failed, the kit cannot start.

For example, the configuration file may be missing, the videos may be missing, there may be a hardware error in the pinball, there may be a security problem. These are all problems that do not allow the kit to work correctly or cannot work directly, so the error message appears on the screen and it stays that way until the problem is solved.

All this does not prevent the pinball can start and you can play it, but the kit will not work until the problem detected is solved.

#1076 4 years ago

Your power distribution won’t work. Trust me and develop a new power source or miserably fail.

You are also missing a lot more videos since you need an error message for every single issue „detected“ or any combination of errors by your system or a dynamic text overlay according to the generated error message.

Just saying...

I doubt with this amount of unnecessary details you won’t finish it anytime soon. Prove me wrong.

#1077 4 years ago
Quoted from Raaalph:

Your power distribution won’t work. Trust me and develop a new power source or miserably fail.
You are also missing a lot more videos since you need an error message for every single issue „detected“ or any combination of errors by your system or a dynamic text overlay according to the generated error message.
Just saying...
I doubt with this amount of unnecessary details you won’t finish it anytime soon. Prove me wrong.

I never understood the logic of posts like these. To actively post (likely someone's second troll account judging by the number of posts) hoping for failure is befuddling.

#1078 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I never understood the logic of posts like these. To actively post (likely someone's second troll account judging by the number of posts) hoping for failure is befuddling.

Totally agree with you.

And for more information, this TROLL, I am 100% sure that he is GERMAN and has already been banned from the forum previously for creating fake accounts to insult and provoke.

But this german guy is so clumsy that he doesn't even serve as a troll, he is immediately hunted. He and his German friends, instead of devoting themselves to their things, they only know how to come to my threads to annoy and provoke.

#1079 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Not really. I just have enough experience and gave a clear advise that it will fail!
I owned the game SEVERAL times and as a former owner and tech guy I can clearly say it WILL fail. Anyone with a healthy sense of knowledge (so to speak) would have checked the specs of these ports, the power consumption of the used parts and summed everything up. Basic maths and has absolutely nothing to do with trolling.

#1080 4 years ago

If I’m not mistaken you don’t own the game yourself, right? @pinballsp

Ask your friend if he’s willing to draw permanently 4-5A off that connection. Good luck!

#1081 4 years ago

After the TROLL chapter, let's continue with the important thing, and ignore the german TROLLs.

As for the monster video, I have instructed the designer to make some modifications.
1.- Increase brightness, color saturation and sharpness of the monster.
2.- Center the monster, now it is somewhat displaced towards the bottom of the image.
3.- Add a blinking text that says "Creature found ..."

monstruos_cambios.jpgmonstruos_cambios.jpg

#1082 4 years ago

Also what is the spaceship UFO in the background of the monster- dont remember that in the movie

#1083 4 years ago

It's looking great. I'm definitely interested in this.

#1084 4 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

Also what is the spaceship UFO in the background of the monster- dont remember that in the movie

It's not in the movie, but I found it funny to add it.

#1085 4 years ago

The graphic designer, who is being quite good, both in the quality of what he is showing me, and in his seriousness as a professional, is suggesting me to model the monster in 3D.

If the cost does not increase too much, and the quality improves markedly, it is likely that I will pay the extra cost to model the monster in 3D.

#1086 4 years ago
Quoted from Raaalph:

If I’m not mistaken you don’t own the game yourself, right? @pinballsp
Ask your friend if he’s willing to draw permanently 4-5A off that connection. Good luck!

Dude, save your breath giving advice around here just gets you labelled as a "troll" id just let the kit ruin peoples machines.

Any one with a brain would power this seperatly from mains via its own dedicated psu. I really don't see why it has to come from the machine causing all sorts of stress to old components.

#1087 4 years ago

pinballsp a high detailed model that would match similar detail and quantity of your current video is no small feat by any measure. It would need to be modeled, character rigging, skin weighting, and texturing. BUT... once you have a solid model you can then use it for numerous custom animations.

#1088 4 years ago

Salut,

I'm following the progress of this mod since the beginning (as my hologram is dead) and I'm impressed by the progress since you started to re-focus on this project.
I hope I will be able to bring the monster back to live soon with your mod (I have to admit at some point I lost hope ).

Two remarks:
1) Please provide videos without the "jokes" like the UFO. For me it is not making much sense and, if it is an option, people could choose "neutral" or "funny" videos.
2) I do not know about the troll, but I think it would be good if the kit could use an external power supply (rather than getting it from the driver board) as well. We all know that the PDB and connectors are used a lot by the pinball already, so having an independent power supply would be my preferred option, even, if connecting to the PDB would work.

Thanks again for your effort and if you can keep the current price tag between around 300 to 350 Euros, I'm definitely in for this mod.

Cheers

#1089 4 years ago

I'm just curious from a technical angle. Could you plug a computer PS into the service outlet & tap into the 12v from that?

#1090 4 years ago
Quoted from flugs:

Salut,
1) Please provide videos without the "jokes" like the UFO. For me it is not making much sense and, if it is an option, people could choose "neutral" or "funny" videos.

Anyone can make their own videos, to replace the ones I provide. However, I already told the designer to provide me some of the videos with variations, removing or maintaining some elements. But I can not please everyone, because the possibilities are endless, the kit will have 38 videos (22 main), I think many more than the original idea offered.

Quoted from flugs:

2) I do not know about the troll, but I think it would be good if the kit could use an external power supply (rather than getting it from the driver board) as well. We all know that the PDB and connectors are used a lot by the pinball already, so having an independent power supply would be my preferred option, even, if connecting to the PDB would work.

The board will have a 2-pin connector installed, and I will provide a 2-wire cable with 2 quick splices. Any external power supply that supplies 12 volts can be connected to that connector. So it will not be a problem to use a source other than the voltage supplied by the pinball.

Quoted from flugs:

Thanks again for your effort and if you can keep the current price tag between around 300 to 350 Euros, I'm definitely in for this mod.
Cheers

Thanks for your support.
I haven't calculated the price yet, but it will almost certainly be in that price scale.

#1091 4 years ago

flugs if your comfortable wiring in an additional power supply there is no reason why this mod should not work.

#1092 4 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

I'm just curious from a technical angle. Could you plug a computer PS into the service outlet & tap into the 12v from that?

Way overkill. Just use a typical brick transformer. Self contained and just wire the output side to whatever harness you need

#1093 4 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

You can, but you will have several problems, so I suggest you do not use it, at least not for the hologram kit.

The service plug, being in parallel with the AC mains plug, means the following shortcomings:

1.- You don't have a protection fuse
2.- You don't have the thermistor, nor the varistor, which also adds protection.
3.- You also don't have the line filter, which removes possible interference from the power grid.
4.- And the WORST, you don't have the power switch, so what you connect there will ALWAYS be ON, even if you turn OFF the machine (with the switch).

wpc89_red.jpgwpc89_red.jpg

#1094 4 years ago

I was not suggesting using the service outlet and I agree with you pinballsp I have wired in many in the past that leverage the switch thermister and fuse so it’s switched

#1095 4 years ago

IIRC, wasn't there a vendor on Pinside that offered a solution to keep power-drawing mods off the factory boards? Wish I could provide more info...I *believe* it was around $55.00 or so....

#1096 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

The graphic designer, who is being quite good, both in the quality of what he is showing me, and in his seriousness as a professional, is suggesting me to model the monster in 3D.
If the cost does not increase too much, and the quality improves markedly, it is likely that I will pay the extra cost to model the monster in 3D.

These recent videos are looking quite good. I'm excited about the product based on these test videos.

Regarding 3D modeling, I agree with the other poster, doing proper 3D animation is costly and does require a lot of different skills to give you a convincing result in the end. So you're adding technical as well as artistic risk, adding cost and adding time. I'm fine with waiting, but I think the if quality of these last two video is the same for the rest of the videos you are quite good for a version 1, personally.

However, I'm quite worried about tapping board power. Would you please consider an option that wouldn't pull power from a 25 year old power driver board? I would feel a lot better about that. I've had a hell of a lot of problems over the years with my WPC power driver boards and I really don't want to add more stress to them.

#1097 4 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

IIRC, wasn't there a vendor on Pinside that offered a solution to keep power-drawing mods off the factory boards? Wish I could provide more info...I *believe* it was around $55.00 or so....

Not sure if this is the one you meant but @applejuice makes a Power Expander Board for WPC and WPC-95 Games

https://mypinballs.com/electronics/store.jsp

I'd probably look to use this myself rather than pull power from the PD board

#1098 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

These recent videos are looking quite good. I'm excited about the product based on these test videos.
However, I'm quite worried about tapping board power. Would you please consider an option that wouldn't pull power from a 25 year old power driver board? I would feel a lot better about that. I've had a hell of a lot of problems over the years with my WPC power driver boards and I really don't want to add more stress to them.

As I said you can use your own 12v power supply, instead of the unregulated 12v supplied by the pinball. On the HolomodSP main board, there is currently a 2-pin connector to connect the 12v power supply, and a round jack to supply that voltage to the display. I can exchange them so that the round jack is the input 12v power, and use a 2-pin connector to supply voltage to the screen.

The only problem you have to solve is where to connect the AC input of your power supply. You can't do it on the pinball service plug, because that plug is before the power switch. And according to the schemes, from the power switch, it goes directly to the transformer, there is no option of making a quick connection, without making a modification, even if it is simple.

You have two options, solder the AC wires of your power supply to the contacts of the pinball power switch, or modify the wiring of the service plug, as indicated in this link so that it is connected after the pinball start-up switch. https://www.flippers.be/power_wiring.html

But I don't think this second option is easy to do for most people. It will not please those who want a plug and play product, without complicated installations that require pinball modifications.

My suggestion is still to use the unregulated 12v, supplied by the pinball, unless you already have enough mods connected to those 12v, and the total consumption can affect the operation of the pinball.

I have here a main connection box of a WPC, later I will see if there is any possibility of doing something that allows a quick connection of an external power supply, but I think it is not possible, based on the schemes.

ff3b5b5dfe98a79d803ae507421f48617a12672b.jpgff3b5b5dfe98a79d803ae507421f48617a12672b.jpg

#1099 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

As I said you can use your own 12v power supply, instead of the unregulated 12v supplied by the pinball. On my board, there is currently a 2-pin connector to connect the 12v power supply, and a round jack to supply that voltage to the display. I can exchange them so that the round jack is the input 12v power, and use a 2-pin connector to supply voltage to the screen.
The only problem you have to solve is where to connect the AC input of your power supply. You can't do it on the pinball service plug, because that plug is before the power switch. And according to the schemes, from the power switch, it goes directly to the transformer, there is no option of making a quick connection, without making a modification, even if it is simple.
You have two options, solder the AC wires of your power supply to the contacts of the pinball power switch, or modify the wiring of the service plug, as indicated in this link so that it is connected after the pinball start-up switch, but I don't think this second option is comfortable for most people. https://www.flippers.be/power_wiring.html
My suggestion is still to use the unregulated 12v, supplied by the pinball, unless you already have enough mods connected to those 12v, and the total consumption can affect the operation of the pinball.

[quoted image]

I have a 5v and 12v expander board to keep the load off the original boards as I have quite a few mods on my Creech.
I would run it from this.

mpe_assembled_std1 (resized).jpgmpe_assembled_std1 (resized).jpg
#1100 4 years ago
Quoted from vulcan903:

I have a 5v and 12v expander board to keep the load off the original boards as I have quite a few mods on my Creech.
I would run it from this.[quoted image]

Having extra connectors with 12v or 5v is not the problem. I can make board similar to that, and offer them as an extra with the kit, for a few euros. But that is not going to solve the main problem, which is where to connect the external power supply, so that it is easy, fast and without having to make modifications to the main pinball junction box.

Where is your external power supply connected, can you post an image ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

€ 24.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,082 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hologram-mod-for-creature-from-pinballsp-is-under-development/page/22?hl=bsbdmd83 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.