CPU_wrong_001.jpg
CPU_wrong_003.jpg
0ed588560508a90ac12405b838c8209559d63350.jpg
holo_zero_003.jpg
holo_zero_004.jpg
holo_zero_004.jpg
holo_zero_003.jpg
holo_zero_001.jpg

There are 3,082 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 62.
#701 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's funny, Luis has another pinsider in another thread saying the exact opposite - "lets see
More details and video!" Damned if you do, damned if you don't! Lol

I’d post something showing the MOD in action when it’s done. The more he posts while in development the more people, typically the ones that won’t purchase anything anyway, will demand more elaborate features/functions etc. I found it to be counter productive to post updates when I was in this game.

I got all sorts of emails asking for this and that and once it was all said and done the majority of the petitioners never purchase a MOD anyway.

1 week later
#702 5 years ago

It's awesome your making this hologram mod, I'm interested in one as well. Can you please put me down for one.

#703 5 years ago

I'm going to try a new solution for the screen. It is a monitor type model, which has everything integrated in its own housing, so it is not necessary to connect a flat cable between the panel and the video controller, nor to fix the controller to the support. All in one, ready to use, simply fixing it to the acrylic bracket that I have already designed, easy, comfortable and safe.

The price I got is very good, practically cheaper than the one I had for the TFT + video controller panel. Also the freight cost for purchase in quantity is cheaper.

It is also 13 inches, Full HD 1920*1080, IPS (this is the best quality), with HDMI input and 12 volts of power. It includes a small metal support that will be very interesting to fix it to the acrylic support that I designed. This would facilitate the assembly of the kit and eliminate possible problems or breakage by not having to connect the panel with the controller with a very fragile flat cable between them.

It even includes a remote control, with which we could adjust the level of brightness, contrast and saturation of the color. I have ordered some samples to test it, I hope to have this display here in a week, while I continue working with the tests with the cards I designed.

TFT_001.jpgTFT_001.jpgTFT_003.jpgTFT_003.jpg

TFT_004.jpgTFT_004.jpg
#704 5 years ago

and hey! it comes with metal hosing
got to love the chinese and their horrible use of english to a global audience

#705 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

I think not, but how would I know

I laughed my ass off when I saw this. I'm currently working on a project that I hope to bring to market in a month or so. I had a very good idea from the start what the profit would be when its said and done (and I still chose to do it ). For most its about the hobby not the $$$$ ,

#706 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I laughed my ass off when I saw this. I'm currently working on a project that I hope to bring to market in a month or so. I had a very good idea from the start what the profit would be when its said and done (and I still chose to do it ). For most its about the hobby not the $$$$ ,

Agreed. I just get a kick out of all the posts from guys saying this MOD will put PinballSP’s grandchildren through college

#707 5 years ago

This thing will be not cheap but sometimes it's better to have it instead not.
I think at least 400-500$ or more.If I can see the price of the LCD,but it's IPS Full HD.Really nice solution if it work and more safety for installing because everything is on it.So at final you will have HD Creature upgrade.
Really want to see how it will work.But do it right and you know easy for assembly and disassembly.

Some off:I hate Data East machine with their misunderstanding.My current project Star Trek 25th prove it.But will do it only for this machine.

#708 5 years ago

Will this mod include the monitor or for shipping over seas purposes user buys their monitor

#709 5 years ago

The board to test the kit is ready, tomorrow I will program the firmware, assemble the last board that I designed for the HolomodSP Kit, and start to test everything on my work table with the original CPU playing the game, to verify the trigger of the videos according to the input/ouputs configurable by the user.

Aún no recibí el monitor de 13 pulgadas que pedí, mientras probaré con el panel TFT que tengo, aunque esa no será la pantalla del kit. También puedo conectar la salida de video, al monitor de mi PC, para las pruebas.

HOLO_001.jpgHOLO_001.jpgHOLO_002.jpgHOLO_002.jpg
HOLO_005.jpgHOLO_005.jpgHOLO_006.jpgHOLO_006.jpg
HOLO_010.jpgHOLO_010.jpg

HOLO_003.jpgHOLO_003.jpgHOLO_004.jpgHOLO_004.jpgHOLO_007.jpgHOLO_007.jpgHOLO_008.jpgHOLO_008.jpgHOLO_009.jpgHOLO_009.jpg

#710 5 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Will this mod include the monitor or for shipping over seas purposes user buys their monitor

The kit will include everything, but if someone has a monitor and wants to save money, I can offer the kit without the monitor, but it must be 13 inches, Full HD, HDMI and I suggest IPS for the best quality.

The only problem you can have is with the monitor's power supply and the type of connector you use. The monitor that I will include in the kit, is connected to 12v DC with a round jack (positive center), but also the size of the jack could be different, in that case the power cord that includes the kit would not work and you would have than create your own.

#711 5 years ago

The adapter boards for WPC CPU and flat cables, totally assembled, all connected and ready to test. Now I go to assemble the last holomodsp board I designed, with some improvments, and I can start to test the kit.

holo_004.jpgholo_004.jpg
holo_003.jpgholo_003.jpgholo_005.jpgholo_005.jpgholo_006.jpgholo_006.jpg
holo_001.jpgholo_001.jpgholo_002.jpgholo_002.jpg

#712 5 years ago

Appreciate the updates and looks to be a nice product when you're ready to release it. Looking forward to it.

#713 5 years ago

I am new to the CFTBL. My hologram does not work. I am not sure what this new kit does and if it replaces my factory hologram parts. I have read a bunch of the posts and I am still unsure?
Thanks for a brief update.

#714 5 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

I am new to the CFTBL. My hologram does not work. I am not sure what this new kit does and if it replaces my factory hologram parts. I have read a bunch of the posts and I am still unsure?
Thanks for a brief update.

It replaces your stock mechanical hologram with a screen that shows HD videos when key events are triggered, so instead of just showing the Creature for a few seconds when you complete FILM letters and when you find him in multiball, this will be a lot more active during the game. That's a brief summary. For reference, you can get an idea of what's possible with this kind of set-up if you search for Pinsider Mike D's Creature Hologram replacement mod.

#715 5 years ago

Looks fantastic SP. Really nicely designed.

#716 5 years ago

Looks great, let's see some video of it working!

#717 5 years ago

pinballsp thanks for the great updates. Very excited to see this!

#718 5 years ago

Today I received the monitor, it is very good, a product very well done and with good performances.

But not all is good news, this monitor is quite heavy, probably because of the metal case it has. Only the monitor without any accessory, weighs 1561 grams, and after removing a piece that serves to put it on the table, the weight drops to 1388 grams.

It is clear that all the metal of the casing, is the one that adds so much weight to the product. The weight of the TFT panel that was going to use at first, together with its video controller, is very light, weighing only 295 grams.

I will try to remove the casing, and I am sure that the weight will be reduced significantly. But I have to see how the monitor is without the case, it must be safe and also all the circuits must be well secured, I suspect that there will be no problem to remove the case.

The problem of such a weight is also that for international shipments, mainly to the USA it can be quite expensive.

The monitor, as seen in the image, has a frame that makes it longer and wider than the TFT panel that it had, so I will have to redesign the acrylic bracket, so that it fits, as it now exceeds the location of the braces that hold the acrylic bracket to the playfield.

In any case, to work here doing tests is much more comfortable to use the monitor than having to work with the TFT panel and the video controller, these are very fragile, mainly the flat cable that connects them, is not ideal.

moni_002.JPGmoni_002.JPG
moni_004.jpgmoni_004.jpg
moni_001.jpgmoni_001.jpg

moni_003.jpgmoni_003.jpgmoni_005.jpgmoni_005.jpgmoni_006.jpgmoni_006.jpgmoni_007.jpgmoni_007.jpg

#719 5 years ago

Is this monitor available in the US? If so, maybe consider shipping the mod without it and leave that to the end user?

#720 5 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

Is this monitor available in the US? If so, maybe consider shipping the mod without it and leave that to the end user?

This is a Chinese monitor, but you can use any LED monitor of 13 inches, HDMI, and IPS for the best quality. I can offer the kit without the monitor, no problem. The Raspberry Pi 3 and the HDMI cable can also be optional.

Really the only essential thing is my electronic board, the program and the acrylic bracket with the straps to fix the monitor under the playfield. A power supply cable with round connector is also necessary, which must fit into the monitor's supply connector.

#721 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

This is a Chinese monitor, but you can use any LED monitor of 13 inches, HDMI, and IPS for the best quality. I can offer the kit without the monitor, no problem. The Raspberry Pi 3 and the HDMI cable can also be optional.
Really the only essential thing is my electronic board, the program and the acrylic bracket with the straps to fix the monitor under the playfield. A power supply cable with round connector is also necessary, which must fit into the monitor's supply connector.

I belive this is the same exact monitor on Amazon..https://www.amazon.com/Eyoyo-inch-Field-Monitor-1920x1080/dp/B0762NKY3D

#722 5 years ago
Quoted from gameroompinball:

I belive this is the same exact monitor on Amazon..amazon.com link »

That would make it easier for shipment to the US

#723 5 years ago

Show the image!!! Super excited and impressed w your work!!!!

I'm in !!!

#724 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

But not all is good news, this monitor is quite heavy, probably because of the metal case it has. Only the monitor without any accessory, weighs 1561 grams, and after removing a piece that serves to put it on the table, the weight drops to 1388 grams.

Sorry am I missing something? That's 3 pounds right? Seems like about what it should weigh to me.

I'd rather have a heavier monitor with a solid case than a flimsy TFT with no case please.

But as long as you spec the exact monitor that I can buy locally, I'm happy to go with that too.

#725 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I'd rather have a heavier monitor with a solid case than a flimsy TFT with no case please.

Agree 100%.

#726 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Sorry am I missing something? That's 3 pounds right? Seems like about what it should weigh to me.
But as long as you spec the exact monitor that I can buy locally, I'm happy to go with that too.

Excessive weight not only affects the cost of international transport, it is also important with respect to the weight that acrylic support for the monitor can tolerate.

A weight of 1.5 kilos may already be excessive for the acrylic holder to securely hold the monitor to the playfield.

My idea is that the weight of the monitor does not exceed 0.5 Kg, which means that the metal casing of the monitor should be removed, which is where most of its weight is.

You can use any monitor, 13 inches, HDMI, IPS, with external dimensions do not exceed 32x20cm, thickness not greater than 3.5cm. Eyoyo is ok if remove the metal housing.

Sin título-3.jpgSin título-3.jpg

#727 5 years ago

I disassembled the monitor, and after removing the case, the total weight is significantly reduced to only 711 grams. The housing consists of three pieces, the front, a rear cover for circuits and connectors, and an internal plate that separates the TFT panel from the rest.

The weights of the parts of the casing are 162 grams for the front, 240 grams for the back cover and 270 grams for the internal plate.

I have to study it, maybe it is more interesting, keep the monitor as it is with its original cover, for security and to make it more robust, and focus on improving the braces that fix the bracket to the playfield, so that they hold more weight. Or remove only some of the parts of the case as the back cover, which is the most expendable, in addition to the heaviest.

MONI_CARCA_001.jpgMONI_CARCA_001.jpgMONI_CARCA_002.jpgMONI_CARCA_002.jpgMONI_CARCA_003.jpgMONI_CARCA_003.jpgMONI_CARCA_004.jpgMONI_CARCA_004.jpgMONI_CARCA_005.jpgMONI_CARCA_005.jpg
#728 5 years ago

Maybe that plastic monitor bracket might have to be made of metal.

#729 5 years ago

Have you thought about putting the monitor/TV on the cabinet floor? The design is easier and you won't be adding weight to the bottom of the playfield. I looked at putting the screen on the bottom of the playfield originally as well, but it was cumbersome and a pain to install.

Regarding shipping, I was able to package everything in a 10x10x10 inch box, weighted about 8lbs in total. That of course didn't include the TV, but I found most people wanted to buy their own monitors.

Just my 2 cents, carry on.

#730 5 years ago

This is a very small monitor, only 13 inches, I think I can fix it to the playfiled. I will probably keep the original monitor, maybe just remove the back cover to lower the weight, but I keep the front cover so that the TFT panel is secure.

It would not be necessary to have the main part of the bracket that I designed (this reduces the weight), that function is now done by the monitor itself that already installs all the parts attached to the casing.

I just need to design a wide 5-hole clamp, fixed in the same place as the original, and a pair of narrow straps on the sides of the monitor. If I do them with the right material and thickness, they can hold the weight of the monitor well, which can be kept at only 1 kg, by removing the back cover.

I have to study if I make those acrylic braces, even if they are thicker, of 4 mm, or if I make them of aluminum.

a57bcd32-9320-42df-b07d-93903b40f497.jpga57bcd32-9320-42df-b07d-93903b40f497.jpg

#731 5 years ago

Going to be epic!

#732 5 years ago

Good news and bad news, this seems like a joke.

The good news is that there are monitors with plastic housing, and that therefore weigh much less. This monitor that I am testing is a metal case, which weighs a lot. The same with plastic housing weighs less than half.

Also, I'm studying replacing the 13-inch monitor with an 11.6-inch monitor, with this size I can put the monitor very close to the hole in the playfield, and so the bracket would be much more compact, with shorter straps, and easier to manufacture and mount. The problem in this machine to install the monitor very close to the hole, are the two coils that are on both sides of the hole that limit the maximum width of monitor + bracket. I have that measure, and I just need to check if an 11.6-inch monitor without housing, or even a 10-inch with housing can be installed in this way.

I'm going to order monitors of 10 and 11.6 inches, always IPS and with HDMI. The resolution can be Full HD, but for these small sizes, even with 1280*800 it has to look very good. Keep in mind that with a 13-inch monitor, even Full HD, only part of the screen is seen through the hole, so in practice the number of lines and columns is less. And if we put a monitor of 10 or 11.6 inches, very close to the hole, which practically the entire visible area is going to see through the hole, although it has less resolution, in practice it is the same.

And the bad news, the Chinese are on holidays all the next week, so I will not be able to manage the order of the 10 and 11.6 inch monitors until then, especially to be able to test if they fit well in the hole, without touching the coils, to design the final bracket. Meanwhile I will continue testing with what I have.

As for Eyoyo, it is not a manufacturer, just one of the many Chinese companies that buy from several manufacturers and label the products with their brand. Now I have contacted another Chinese supplier, who claims to be a manufacturer, and offers me monitors with plastic casing at a very good price, in addition to a cheaper shipping cost, although this may be because they weigh less as the plastic casing.

#733 5 years ago

can we see a vid of the content that will be going on whichever screen? Super excited to actually see this...guessing you've got a mock on your bench....thanks...mark

#734 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Good news and bad news, this seems like a joke.
The good news is that there are monitors with plastic housing, and that therefore weigh much less. This monitor that I am testing is a metal case, which weighs a lot. The same with plastic housing weighs less than half.
Also, I'm studying replacing the 13-inch monitor with an 11.6-inch monitor, with this size I can put the monitor very close to the hole in the playfield, and so the bracket would be much more compact, with shorter straps, and easier to manufacture and mount. The problem in this machine to install the monitor very close to the hole, are the two coils that are on both sides of the hole that limit the maximum width of monitor + bracket. I have that measure, and I just need to check if an 11.6-inch monitor without housing, or even a 10-inch with housing can be installed in this way.

I really think you are heading the wrong direction here. You are trying to mount something large, heavy, and delicate to the PF which you move in and out of the game, slam... without a proper hard mount and trying to play with straps and plastic. All while the game is designed to have a a panel mounted to the bottom of the cabinet... which would be a much more safe and stable mount point. All these concerns about spacing, etc all go away if you just replace the mirror.

#735 5 years ago

Could you do a mini projector and shoot from the bottom of the cabinet up onto the window?

#736 5 years ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

Could you do a mini projector and shoot from the bottom of the cabinet up onto the window?

It seems more complicated and would not have as much quality as the monitor, and it would also lose a lot of brightness and contrast. A quality IPS monitor, coupled directly as close to the playfield hole as possible, is the best option.

#737 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

can we see a vid of the content that will be going on whichever screen? Super excited to actually see this...guessing you've got a mock on your bench....thanks...mark

I was studying the matter of the monitors and the design of the bracket to fix it to the playfield. As soon as I can, I prepare a video of the test board, play a game with the CPU on my work bench, and trigger some video according to the state of the lamps and the hologram mechanisms.

In these moments what worries me most is to solve the mechanical part, so that it is robust, reliable and easy to install.

#738 5 years ago

I saw that Mike chimed in and as he has done this, I would think his input would be very valuable? Your thoughts on the monitor issue Mike? How did you resolve in yours as I have never seen your older mod.

#739 5 years ago

did you look at #729?

#740 5 years ago

I did, but I re-read as I have not seen MikeD's mod. Was his mounted to the bottom of the cabinet?

#741 5 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

I did, but I re-read as I have not seen MikeD's mod. Was his mounted to the bottom of the cabinet?

Yes it is.

#742 5 years ago

Can someone who has Mike’s mod take a pic of how it looks mounted on the cabinet?

#743 5 years ago

I already have the whole set of boards, mounted and connected, I just need a double flat cable that connects the CPU with the HolomodSP board and with the board that displays the status of all the lamps.

PLACA_006.jpgPLACA_006.jpg
PLACA_002.jpgPLACA_002.jpgPLACA_005.jpgPLACA_005.jpgPLACA_007.jpgPLACA_007.jpgPLACA_008.jpgPLACA_008.jpg

#744 5 years ago

Just an itchy buyer but you don't know if you don't ask as they say. At this point would you Guess this is a 2018 project or a continuation into 2019? I'm betting others were wondering the same but had to ask.

#745 5 years ago

I love the little daughter board for the matrix but it appears that you might be missing a few of the modes from it
sppinball daughter board (resized).jpgsppinball daughter board (resized).jpg

shouldn't there be LED indicators for all of the modes present on the 3 signposts?
unlimited millions - creature feature - extra ball countdown (left signpost)
super jackpot - jackpot - rescue - multi-ball restart (center signpost)
big millions - movie madness - count up to feature (right signpost)

(unbolded modes are the ones missing LED indicators on your daughter board)

#746 5 years ago

Quoted from j_m_:

I love the little daughter board for the matrix but it appears that you might be missing a few of the modes from it
[quoted image]
shouldn't there be LED indicators for all of the modes present on the 3 signposts?
unlimited millions - creature feature - extra ball countdown (left signpost)
super jackpot - jackpot - rescue - multi-ball restart (center signpost)
big millions - movie madness - count up to feature (right signpost)
(unbolded modes are the ones missing LED indicators on your daughter board)

I just put some to see them directly, quickly.

All the lamps, bumpers, flashers and mechanisms of the hologram are displayed in the two 8x8 LED arrays in the center of the board. These matrices correspond to the tables of lamps and solenoids that are in the manual of the machine.

TABLAS2.jpgTABLAS2.jpg
#747 5 years ago

I'm not going to lie, I keep coming back hoping to see a video. Carry on, sir.

#748 5 years ago

I’m so happy I bought a nice used hologram. If this ends up getting produced I’m a buyer but holy F I’m not holding my breath. If it’s not one thing it’s another. GLTWS

#749 5 years ago

I want a nice used original hologram if anyone decides to sell.
Meanwhile I’m number 100 waiting in the virtual queue to buy pinballsp’s brilliant mod.

1 week later
#750 5 years ago

Today I ordered samples of these two monitors, 10 inches and 11.6 inches, IPS, HDMI, Full HD. Both are very light, one with plastic housing and the other with aluminum.

The idea is to return to the original design of the bracket, so that the monitor is very close to the hole, in this way it will be much more compact and with very short ties, probably all in one piece.

The limitation is the separation between the coils under the hole, on both sides. The 10-inch monitor fits securely, and the 11.6-inch monitor, if remove the case should also fit.

My friend José from Portugal, will send me a cardboard model of the area of the playfield where the hologram hole is, with the coils and the visor that surround it under the board, in this way I can design with precision the final support.

Now I will have monitors of 13, 10 and 11.6 inches. The ideal for me would be 11.6 inches, this would cover the entire hole, with a very compact support, a few centimeters away from the hole.

When I have the definitive monitor, for those who want the kit without a monitor, I will tell the model and the brand. It is important that it fits the bracket that I will design and that it has the necessary quality to offer a good image.

monitor_10_001.jpgmonitor_10_001.jpgmonitor_10_002.jpgmonitor_10_002.jpgmonitor_116_001.jpgmonitor_116_001.jpgmonitor_116_002.jpgmonitor_116_002.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
There are 3,082 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hologram-mod-for-creature-from-pinballsp-is-under-development/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.