• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

$(KGrHqQOKjgE6RdHWLSuBOu6rc211g~~60_3..jpg
Original_Under_White_Light.jpg
Pinball_Heaven_Repro.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

The last couple one ebay in fact went for around $1400-$1500 from what I recall.

Actually, they've never broken $1000 (I've been following these closely for the last year and have kept a comp record).

The most recent was this one (I just won it on Ebay for $865):

ebay.com link: itm

Here are the ones before that:

$860 - 4-3-11
$595 - 1-18-11 (opened; previously displayed on a wall)
$930 - 12-17-10
$670 - 10-10-10

While its great to finally have a perfect one, now that I took the plunge, I'd imagine $200-$300 reproductions are virtually guaranteed.

#13 12 years ago

The problem with the one from Pinball Heaven is it's essentially just a solid green blob in the general shape of the Creature (as seen in the attached pic). Note it has no face.

Personally, I'd rather have an original that's blue & clear and still has all the Creature's details.

Pinball_Heaven_Repro.jpgPinball_Heaven_Repro.jpg Original_Under_White_Light.jpgOriginal_Under_White_Light.jpg

#15 12 years ago

Here's what Martin Reynolds said a few years back about originals and the road blocks facing reproductions:

"Seems that these were manufactured by Polaroid, using a contact print process from a holographic master. The hologram is recorded in a transparent medium, which changes its refractive index after exposure and processing. Processing consist of a dip in Xylene, which causes the exposed emulsion to swell, and then a bath in hexane, which displace the Xylene but does not allow the swelling to subside. Now, the hologram supply is exhausted and they have gone from a $20 novelty to a $400 rarity. There have been efforts to remake them, but here are the barriers:

1) You need a license from Universal - The Pinball Factory states that it has paperwork prepared.
2) The master hologram has been lost (probably looked like a piece of dirty glass)
3) The original model is unavailable. It appears that The Pinball Factory has a green one, and there may be another in private hands.
4) No way to get an EXACT duplicate. Which means that the replacements won't be worth so much.?
5) Have to find someone to make the master and reproduce the holos.
6) After all these expenses, are there enough buyers to cover the costs."

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

...Still, the question remains ... how many people would actually buy one? I guess that all depends on how many people currently have CFTBL's with bad holograms, and how much the repros would cost.

Color me in for a lifetime supply of a half dozen or so.

Given the shortage and Ebay comps on originals, I think they'd fly off the shelves.

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from Mads666Mikkelsen:

What would you all think the price reduction should be on a CFTBL with no hologram, (which would normally cost $3000,- with a original hologram) ?

The answer is quite murky:

A CFTBL with NO hologram isn't very attractive to buyers--unless it's cheap enough. We saw an earlier thread on this forum where someone got a great local deal off CL for one with no hologram for $1800.

I believe that was an exception.

Without seeing your machine, and assuming you're referring to an average CFTBL with a blue hologram, my guess is it would take somewhere around a $500 discount for someone to willingly pull the trigger on a CFTBL without a hologram--for the simple reason the hologram, while seldom seen in gameplay, is an important part of the game's lore.

$300 wouldn't do it for me: I'd want more off the price (and potential buyers would use this as a bargaining chip).

The enigma then becomes what's a blue hologram worth?

Some people suggest not very much; however, the above example illustrates their worth to be more than a little...especially if no reproductions are ever made again.

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Gene has the rights through Universal. He did the MB playfields, and told me at a show that paid Universal a lot of money for them. He also told me that there is a person who has the original model that wants an unreasonable amount for the model.

When I talked to Rick at Planetary Pinball at a show this year about it, he said they'll not make one. Too much cost.

Hmm...well if that's the case what value would you guys assign to a blue one that's still clear?

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

From what I understand, the stages are green to blue to black. Don't know what chemical reaction that causes this, and don't know if it is true.

I suppose therein lies the unknown: no telling how long a blue one will last--or for that matter, how long an NOS will last, or how long a reproduction will last.

FWIW, on RGP, John Wart recently mentioned he's had a blue one for 5 years: it arrived blue and is still blue.

#26 12 years ago

this auction ended 3 days ago CFTBL mr pinball in australia - check out the hologram. no mention of the hologram hack.

Wonder what exactly this guy did here?

$(KGrHqQOKjgE6RdHWLSuBOu6rc211g~~60_3..jpg$(KGrHqQOKjgE6RdHWLSuBOu6rc211g~~60_3..jpg

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from JDub1006:

I was told the originals are super hard to find...some thing to do with the chemicals between the plastics.

Direct UV light is also known to kill them.

#37 12 years ago
Quoted from Mads666Mikkelsen:

What abute coold, frost ?

Don't know.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hologram-for-cftbl?tu=nm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.