Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 55 days ago by Mopar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1566 (resized).JPG

#1 67 days ago

Need words from Pinside “Wise Men” this Holiday season. I own a CCM Hollywood located at my son’s house, so I'm not there often enough to observe issues. Today I changed the flipper bats For the second time in about 1000 games. They were Really cracked. The ball smacks the top glass too often, and the flippers always seemed way too powerful. Further, last month I changed one of the flipper coils which had burned out, also for the second time (both are Standard OEM equivs, not hot ones). When I shopped this game years ago, I never thought to check for high tap. So today, I checked the Xfmr voltage between the two terminals: green wire (marked “comm”) and white wire (marked “30v”) and measured 34.0 volts. Schematic says it should be 30.0. The schematic also shows an empty (open) terminal marked “33v” which appears to be missing on my Xfmr. Incoming line voltage measures 120.7v. I see no evidence of rectifier hacks.

So the question is, should I try reducing the PF voltage from 33.7 to 30v? If so, how? And, do you think it would make any difference in reducing damage? Greetings!

#2 65 days ago

Last month I went through 2 Hollywoods and both played fast. I'm pretty sure both
had a 33V terminal, but kept it on 30V
I'm sure you have good rubbers on the flipper bats. It's strange that new bats would
crack. Now and then the ball hits the glass on mine, and also the ball has flown over the
flipper, so it's pretty active, but no sign of damage..
I'm sure the voltage can be lessened coming out the transformer if you feel that's best.
These guys (Digi-Key) should be able to help you out.. 1-800-858-3616

#3 64 days ago

Thanks Mopar. Very helpful to know you’ve been through two of these. I’ll give digi-key a call (haven’t seen that referral in here before) and see what they recommend. I also installed a full new set of rubber rings which actually adds to the damage by increasing the rebound force. Gotta do something before the glass breaks.

#4 63 days ago

Yea, no problem. I found Digi-Key to be customer friendly. If you
explain your situation, I'm sure they'll be able to fix you up with
a type of resistor that'll work out for you..

1 week later
#5 56 days ago

Bump for post #1: to see if anyone has any additional thoughts on this high voltage transformer issue before I start messing around with resistor-hacking of the flipper coils. Thx

#6 56 days ago

If it's only the flippers that seem to be too strong, then maybe changing the coils or reducing the
power only on those, but if the slings and pops also seem too strong, then I'd say a resistor
in between the 30V terminal and its line. As long as it remains around 30V, it"ll be fine..
The transformer should have a 33V high tap. You sure it's original..

#7 56 days ago

Make sure if you go the resistor route, that the resistor is sized properly for power dissipation. And derate it even further.

I'm far from being an expert compared to some of the guys on Pinside, but I would probably just look for a lower power coil for a cleaner look.

Good luck!

#8 55 days ago

Another thought, if it's primarily the flippers that you're concerned about, you can try replacing the
original return compression springs with a couple that's a little stiffer..

IMG_1566 (resized).JPG
#9 55 days ago
Quoted from Mopar:

If it's only the flippers that seem to be too strong, then maybe changing the coils or reducing the
power only on those, but if the slings and pops also seem too strong, then I'd say a resistor
in between the 30V terminal and its line. As long as it remains around 30V, it"ll be fine..
The transformer should have a 33V high tap. You sure it's original..

The transformer looked old enough to be original, and I saw no evidence of replacement. I could find no marked "33V" terminal on that transformer, only "30V", and that's the one that measured 34V.

As far as the pops, slings and K/Os, they all operate with high force, but they don't cause nearly as much damage as the flippers.

#10 55 days ago

The stiffer spring idea is worth a try, but it'll be a while before I can get to that.

#11 55 days ago
Quoted from fixintoplay:

The stiffer spring idea is worth a try,

Okay, but it wouldn't have to be much stiffer.
If the other components seem to be working high force (especially the Kick Outs),
I'd maybe give digikey a call about a resistor. Maybe take away 10 or 12 percent.
Adapting it between the 30V terminal and 30V lead wire wouldn't really look much
of a hack..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Hardware
Pinball Haus
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Great American Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 14.95
$ 11.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 29.95
Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside