Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1143 (resized).JPG
IMG_1144 (resized).JPG
IMG_1142 (resized).JPG
IMG_1149 (resized).JPG
IMG_1150 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hello. I just picked up a Hollywood heat and when I was playing it at the persons house it played fine other than 1 of the 1 amp slo blow fuses needed to be replaced because it was dead. We tested this by moving it from the different places that use the 1 amp slo blows (the out hole, the ball kicker, the left and right target banks). The game played fine. When I got it home and set it up I replaced the 1 amp slow blow with a working one and booted up the game. The game booted fine but I couldn't start a game. I also couldn't get it to test mode. I shut it off reseated the connectors and then when I turned it on the display wasn't working. Then I tested the fuses and turned it back on and the game looked like it was going to work, the display came on it scrolled through the 1st and 2nd score and then froze. Still not able to start a game. Still no test mode. I reseated the connectors again and when I turned it on test mode was on the display but I couldn't step through it. I turned it off again checked the fuses again turned it back on and got boxes on the display. Also different playfield lights would be lit each time or the 3 bottom ones would be and then one would go out and then another. I even tried a different outlet in a different room thinking it was a power issue. I don't know what to do next and wonder what happened during the move. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read this

IMG_1150 (resized).JPGIMG_1150 (resized).JPG

IMG_1149 (resized).JPGIMG_1149 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

The F10 fuse keeps blowing. That's the problem. Where do I go from here? Any help with this would be super greatly appreciated.

#3 6 years ago

Is that a green ramp?where did you get it?

#4 6 years ago

ForceFlow told me that the MPU only needs 5v & the slam tilt to boot. With the machine off, try disconnecting J4 & see if it boots. You can also disconnect J5 or J6, but I don't know which has the slam tilt connected. You could check wire colours for that.
Disclaimer: I'm quite the noob & I'm going off my Raven manual, so hopefully someone who knows what they're doing can help.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

forceflow told me that the MPU only needs 5v & the slam tilt to boot. With the machine off, try disconnecting J4 & see if it boots. You can also disconnect J5 or J6, but I don't know which has the slam tilt connected. You could check wire colours for that.
Disclaimer: I'm quite the noob & I'm going off my Raven manual, so hopefully someone who knows what they're doing can help.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks. Right now the machine boots up differently each time.

Some times the outhole solenoid will fire and stay engaged, other times it will fire properly other times the knocker fires. The display shows a variety of things, the random times it wants to show anything at all. Different lights on the playfield are illuminated and then some will go out while the game is on.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from pinostalgia:

Is that a green ramp?where did you get it?

It's actually a custom re-theme of a Hollywood Heat. It's Return of the living dead. A few pictures attached. The ramp was just painted.

IMG_1142 (resized).JPGIMG_1142 (resized).JPG

IMG_1144 (resized).JPGIMG_1144 (resized).JPG

IMG_1143 (resized).JPGIMG_1143 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago

Do you have a multimeter? I'd start by checking voltages at the power supply board. There should be test points on the board you can use to test the various voltages. Test them all, jot them down, and post them here. Without good voltages, you could wind up chasing your tail trying to get to the bottom of this...

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Do you have a multimeter? I'd start by checking voltages at the power supply board. There should be test points on the board you can use to test the various voltages. Test them all, jot them down, and post them here. Without good voltages, you could wind up chasing your tail trying to get to the bottom of this...

I will do that. Also, this is my first system 80b and I heard gottlieb was notorious for grounding issues and there's an upgrade that you can get to help with the grounding issues. It's like a wire that connects to the CPU. Does anyone know exactly what that is? Thanks again for your help in all of this.

#10 6 years ago

Pinwiki has a section on them http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Ground_updates
As I understand it, the ones on the transformer panel are the most important & if you ground each board, the one between the MPU & driver board is redundant. I did it anyways using the -072 molex pins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hollywood-heat-weird-things-are-happening?hl=pinostalgia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.