IMG_20200218_183649 (resized).jpg
20190331_122943 (resized).jpg
8EB477E6-9A91-4C15-B681-4EEC2FED2404 (resized).jpeg
index(2).jpg
80D8FB96-E77E-43A7-861A-DA8465D5C26E.gif
20180729_212811 (resized).jpg
20191013_054529_resized (resized).jpg
20190323_220347_resized (resized).jpg
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

So I am looking at #hollywoodheat and #goldwings

Simple question... which do you prefer to play (and why)?

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Thanks!

Please take with big grain of salt that I only played each of these games a handful of times.
I think Gold Wings has a bit more replay-ability to it as Hollywood heat is a little rinse and repeat in order to just keep getting the mb in it.
With that said I do have Hollywood Heat on my pinside wishlist and I hope to pick one up if the price and location is right. I have plans to mod the theme a little bit.

Gold Wings is decent theme and was just surprised at how much fun it was to shoot. Definitely want to play more of that in the future. I think overall it is a better theme and better looking, and better playing pin.

#3 4 years ago

Like them both but gold wings has more play in my opinion. I’ve owned them both and still have gw

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Thanks!

Raven!

#5 4 years ago

I've owned both...Gold Wings all day!

#6 4 years ago

I've never played either, but Gold Wings wins on theme and art package!

#7 4 years ago

I've seen this one! Is it better than HH and GW?

#8 4 years ago

Thanks all! So GW is winning so far.

Diospinball what are your mod plans? I may be buying a HH that needs shopped so I have the ability to mod from the start!! Looking for some sick ideas!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I've owned both...Gold Wings all day!

Why do you say that @jodyg?

#10 4 years ago

Had both, Gold Wings wins all day.

Wanted to like Hollywood Heat, great theme and sounds but the gameplay was very shallow. Sold it to a co-worker.

20190323_220347_resized (resized).jpg20190323_220347_resized (resized).jpg20191013_054529_resized (resized).jpg20191013_054529_resized (resized).jpg
#11 4 years ago

The topper
The loop
The air raid siren
The Top Gun theme
The sweet ass music
Gold Wings forever

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Thanks all! So GW is winning so far.
diospinball what are your mod plans? I may be buying a HH that needs shopped so I have the ability to mod from the start!! Looking for some sick ideas!

Oh... Change the backglass... But, not to the Grand Theft Auto or Miami Vice... Nope... I'm going to keep the spirit of the original concept, but just inject some steroids and a lot of cheese into it. Will be fun... And really fit my collection. Especially once I mod out my Raven to the same concept.

And I think I got a great idea for a topper, that will only fit my new retheme.

Raven is next I think on my list. But, I am working on my Sinbad topper right now... And I don't know if I'll do vinyl sides for my cabs... Don't have the room. But, I would love to actually vinyl all the sides with new artwork.
But, that's a lot of work and I'm lazy. So most of my plans are new translites, and custom toppers. And custom apron cards.

#13 4 years ago

@diospinball. I like the alternate gold wings translite. Not the top gun one bc then you gotta change the box graphics. I like the way gold wings (looks to) plays with no outlanes. I like the jet theme and I think missing could be easy and really fun.

HH is even cheesier and corny. I want to like it but y'all are saying gold wings all day.

I might end up with 3 if I throw in the space Odyssey I'm going to look at as well. Hahaha

Definitely leaning towards GW tho!

Keep the thoughts and posts coming! Thanks y'all!

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

@diospinball. I like the alternate gold wings translite. Not the top gun one bc then you gotta change the box graphics. I like the way gold wings (looks to) plays with no outlanes. I like the jet theme and I think missing could be easy and really fun.
HH is even cheesier and corny. I want to like it but y'all are saying gold wings all day.
I might end up with 3 if I throw in the space Odyssey I'm going to look at as well. Hahaha
Definitely leaning towards GW tho!
Keep the thoughts and posts coming! Thanks y'all!

Space Odyssey is a GREAT EM, sold mine to a best friend for his game room and think about getting another time to time.

#15 4 years ago

Gold Wings has such a unique layout that actually works. The layout is like no other game really, since it does not have the typical Italian bottom. Increasing the bonus multiplier is key, and sinking the half million shot in multiball while the multiplier is high is one way to a high score. Hollywood Heat is fun, just not on the same level as GW, to me. The captured ball/loop ramp area is pretty much identical geometry to Teed off as well.

#16 4 years ago

Mine also has this translite...I think it is an eBay item.

20180729_212811 (resized).jpg20180729_212811 (resized).jpg
#17 4 years ago

Hollywood Heat but never played Goldwing. Wish I hadn't sold mine, the ramp jump to the upper playfield area was original.

#18 4 years ago

We have both. I prefer GW. Its the funky layout and the music that do it for me.

Did some one really put pinstadiums on that GW? Wow....

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

We have both. I prefer GW. Its the funky layout and the music that do it for me.
Did some one really put pinstadiums on that GW? Wow....

Not Pinstadiums....homemade ones that cost about $15 to make. Now, that idiot did do a full 2-pac automotive clearcoat job on the PF though.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Not Pinstadiums....homemade ones that cost about $15 to make. Now, that idiot did do a full 2-pac automotive clearcoat job on the PF though.

I was thinking about making a set of magnetic ones for streaming....interesting.

#21 4 years ago

I was thinking about making a set of magnetic ones for streaming....interesting.

I make mine to be flush magnetic mount. They look nice and clean that way, with no light gaps.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting/page/7#post-4478368

#22 4 years ago

I love Gold Wings but...has anyone been able to set theirs up so that the loop to 500k Lane is consistent? I have never played one where that shot worked.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

I love Gold Wings but...has anyone been able to set theirs up so that the loop to 500k Lane is consistent? I have never played one where that shot worked.

Yes, its a tricky shot but I have made the special time to time.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Ive tried switching out the post on the right of the that right loop, adjusting the metal guide and just eyeing the alignment. On mine it just doesn't seem possible to get it, its almost like there needs to be a bit of back spin on the ball to get it to go up the playfield about 1/8 an inch to nail that shot. Otherwise I just get the carrier on accident from the yellow pop bumper.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I did cc 2pac on an N'O'S' pf what does that make me

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

I did cc 2pac on an N'O'S' pf what does that make me

I’d love to get my hands on a cleared NOS GW playfield!

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I’d love to get my hands on a cleared NOS GW playfield!

It does look great. I also ended up finding a complete set of NOS plastics also. It amazed me how much better the new plastics looked, the originals were so faded.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

It does look great. I also ended up finding a complete set of NOS plastics also. It amazed me how much better the new plastics looked, the originals were so faded.

I just got a partial set of NOS plastics a couple weeks ago. Bummed that about half the clouds were missing but man, that pink is vibrant. Plus I got a new carrier and left flipper plastic so it looks great!

#29 4 years ago

I've owned both...at the same time....I think Goldwings is a better player with more to do, but the music is SUCH a bore to me (I know most don't care about that, but it's a big deal to me). I mean really, it in no way matches the theme of the game, they completely dropped the ball on this one in that area. So for me it's Hollywood Heat. I've owned 4 Hollywood Heats over the years, and i wouldn't mind owning another again! Not to say at the right price that I wouldn't own another Goldwings......because i'm a sucker for Premier of that era for the odd layouts (Currently have a Spring Break and an Arena), but if i had to pick one, it'd be Hollywood Heat.

#30 4 years ago

Played Hollywood heat today. I was impressed. The upper play field is purposeful. The ramp shot is hard. The loaded /trapped ball is really cool! It played will and I found myself wanting to get another game in.

Then I played Shadow and WHOA! HAHAHAHA

really want to play GW as I liked HH and GW seems to be getting most of the votes. Sadly there aren't any GW's near me.

#31 4 years ago

I prefer Gold Wings.

#32 4 years ago

hollywood heat "la cucaracha" sound effect is just playing stupid.

#33 4 years ago

I never played Hollywood Heat, but Gold Wings is a lot more fun then I first thought looking at the layout. Music is pretty catchy too.

#34 4 years ago

I made some ghetto stream stadiums (tm lol) for my gw last night. Ill try and stream this weekend if you want to check it out.

80D8FB96-E77E-43A7-861A-DA8465D5C26E.gif80D8FB96-E77E-43A7-861A-DA8465D5C26E.gif
#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

I never played Hollywood Heat, but Gold Wings is a lot more fun then I first thought looking at the layout. Music is pretty catchy too.

Not the first song that plays, and not the multiball music, but there is a second song during game play that i think is triggered by getting certain points that is so sweet.

I want to recreate it with a Metal Band feel to it.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Played Hollywood heat today. I was impressed. The upper play field is purposeful. The ramp shot is hard. The loaded /trapped ball is really cool! It played will and I found myself wanting to get another game in.
Then I played Shadow and WHOA! HAHAHAHA
really want to play GW as I liked HH and GW seems to be getting most of the votes. Sadly there aren't any GW's near me.

There's one on Facebook marketplace in NC if you don't mind a project....and overpaying (Seller won't go below a grand..it's missing the siren, GI is out and has a ton of fade).

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Not the first song that plays, and not the multiball music, but there is a second song during game play that i think is triggered by getting certain points that is so sweet.
I want to recreate it with a Metal Band feel to it.

The music change when the ball goes down the "Danger Zone" left lane is really cool.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The music change when the ball goes down the "Danger Zone" left lane is really cool.

My wife always does an 80s style dance when the gameover music plays.... its unavoidable.
So many awesome 80s sounds

#39 4 years ago

From watching a few youtube videos. I really like the light show on Goldwings... But, then again when it comes to light shows. I'm pretty easy to impress.

WOW A YELLOW CAR!

#40 4 years ago

Hollywood Heat is a much better game IMHO than Gold Wings. I've played both...Gold Wings didn't impress me in the least.
I've owned two HollyHeats. Sold the first one to a friend who HAD to have it. Picked up another than I'm going to hang onto.

BTW...I need the lower right big plastic on HH if anyone has one...begging...
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#41 4 years ago

I have both and i like both of them, although i would like to recode the music abit on HH for more 80's Miami synth LOL

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Oldschool77:

There's one on Facebook marketplace in NC if you don't mind a project....and overpaying (Seller won't go below a grand..it's missing the siren, GI is out and has a ton of fade).

Oldschool77 this is the one i'm looking at also. I don't care about the siren, it's going in my house. That siren would need to be disabled anyway. What's "GI"? and i can't tell if it's got a lot of fade... where are you seeing that?

#43 4 years ago

I made some ghetto stream stadiums (tm lol) for my gw last night. Ill try and stream this weekend if you want to check it out.[quoted image]

how do you do the "ghetto" ones. and yes, i'd like to see it.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

I have both and i like both of them, although i would like to recode the music abit on HH for more 80's Miami synth LOL

Yes,it would be cool to turn one into a Vapor Wave theme with TNA appeal.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Yes,it would be cool to turn one into a Vapor Wave theme with TNA appeal.

Yeah i dont really get what they where thinking with those "la cucaracha" parts and chopped up music LOL

#46 4 years ago

Owned Hollywood Heat for a bit and play Gold Wings on location regularly. Goldwings unique layout probably wins out by a hair for me while hh reminds me of ngg. Both have great cheesy 80s sounds. I actually like hh lights when done with lots of pinks, greens and blues. Feels Miami viceish. Alternative translite for hh is a great buy also.

index(2).jpgindex(2).jpg
#47 4 years ago

Speaking of alternate translights

8EB477E6-9A91-4C15-B681-4EEC2FED2404 (resized).jpeg8EB477E6-9A91-4C15-B681-4EEC2FED2404 (resized).jpeg
#48 4 years ago

When I had Hollywood Heat, I added a mix of Pink, teal and purple Titan rubber around the playfield. Really worked well with the playfield color scheme.

20190331_122943 (resized).jpg20190331_122943 (resized).jpg
#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

how do you do the "ghetto" ones. and yes, i'd like to see it.

I bought a $20 behind the TV led kit with two 24" strips that plug in USB for power.

I used some card board pieces and tape to make them, and then used adhesive backed magnetic strip to stick them to the rails.

Looks ok, we will see how it looks on camera this weekend. I dont need an insane amount of light to help my stream image quality.

#50 4 years ago

Im live now, and Ill be live later tonight.

https://www.twitch.tv/nouseorname

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hollywood-heat-vs-gold-wings-?hl=luzur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.