• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
20190706_213249_resized_1 (resized).jpg
That_Resistor (resized).jpg
2019-10-29 07_17_14-Internet Pinball Machine Database_ Premier 'Hollywood Heat' Images - Internet Ex (resized).png
HH_CPU2_nvram - Copy (resized).jpg
HH_CPU3_socket - Copy (resized).jpg
HH_CPU1 - Copy (resized).jpg
2019-10-28 10_12_15-https___www.pinitech.com_product_images_ram_locations_ramloc_gottlieb80.jpg - In (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MaxAsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hey All - while working on another issue with my Hollywood Heat (Gottlieb System 80B), I seem to have done something to cause it to stop booting.

I removed the battery last night, removed the 5101 RAM, socketed the position, and installed NVRAM. I've never had an issue doing this in all the machines I've added NVRAM to, so when I hooked everything back up and powered it on, I was surprised to find it's not booting up. I get GI and attract mode lighting effects, but no tone, no display, game won't coin up or play. Solid red light on CPU board currently. The fact that it's in a form of attract mode seems good, but I'm at a loss as to what I might have done to kill it.

#3 4 years ago

That won't risk damage to the NVRAM? Not sure how the power situation works on an 80B when it comes to that.

#6 4 years ago

Okay, thanks. I'll see if I can reattach it via jumpers temporarily I guess.

Any other thoughts / suggestions? The last two 80B games I did NVRAM on there was no issue.

#10 4 years ago

PinballManiac40 I purchased the "5101 DUAL CE Battery Eliminating NVRAM" from Andrew's site http://nvram.weebly.com/

Yep, I removed Z5, socketed it, and installed the NVRAM in the correct orientation. I checked the connections/traces, they all seem okay.

To answer the daughterboard question, it looks like someone may have reflowed it in the past already. Everything looked solid, and "pushing on it" didn't change anything.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I do not have any experience with that one in particular from him, thought I had bought some other type for system 11 and WPC.
Do you have an old 5101 RAM you can try?

I've used his 5101s in several games without issue, but I guess it's possible I got a bad one. I'll dig through my parts for another old 5101, but I doubt it.

I pulled the board just now and checked all my solder work, and verified continuity from both the NVRAM side and bottom side to all the respective termination points. All came up good. I tried Gary's battery idea just for kicks, nothing there either. Still just booting to attract mode + GI lighting and nothing else.

I pushed on the daughter board in several places as suggested, no change. Question: Is it the where the daughter board is soldered to the main board that's the problem, or is it the PROM socket on the daughter board itself that has issues? Would I need to remove the whole daughter board and reflow the underside of it?

#15 4 years ago

I found a Sharp brand LH5101-45 and an Intel? P5101L-3 in my "removed parts" pile from doing other NVRAM installs. Not sure if the Sharp one is valid.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

I found a Sharp brand LH5101-45 and an Intel? P5101L-3 in my "removed parts" pile from doing other NVRAM installs. Not sure if the Sharp one is valid.

I tried both, no change at all. So I'm guessing it's not the RAM itself that's the problem. I guess I need to go back to basics. Suggestions on what to start with, testing-wise?

I've got 5.06V at the 100uf filter capacitor by J1, so power is getting there.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

OK -- 5V at the board input but need to know what the voltage is at the 5101 socket.
Probably difficult to measure at Z5. Z4 uses the same power - measure voltages between pins 14 and 7.
If that is ok -- what is voltage at pin 4 of Z4?

G-P-E Measuring Z4 between 14 and 7 the reading is 4.50V , Measuring at Z4 pin 4, also 4.50V

Measuring at Z5 is actually easy on the NVRAM, it's even labeled in the model he makes. I tested Z5 between pin 8 and 22 and I'm getting 4.50V there are well.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

As long as you *do not* plan on going back to using batteries, you can short out CR34 to bring voltage levels up a bit. Might try temporarily shorting CR34 to see if it helps.

Shorting CR34 didn't seem to have any effect, unfortunately. Do you want me to short it, then check those voltages again to see if they changed significantly?

#22 4 years ago

Sure, here you go. If you want more detail, or the back of the board, please let me know. (Note: on the "before" pic with the battery still attached, and original RAM still there, I know that the connector on the bottom is partially off. I decided to take the pic as I was starting to take the connectors off to remove the board).

HH_CPU1 - Copy (resized).jpgHH_CPU1 - Copy (resized).jpgHH_CPU2_nvram - Copy (resized).jpgHH_CPU2_nvram - Copy (resized).jpgHH_CPU3_socket - Copy (resized).jpgHH_CPU3_socket - Copy (resized).jpg
#25 4 years ago

I don't think the game will boot without the reset board plugged in since this is a system 80B. Normally, it is plugged in just to the right of the MPU, which currently is showing missing in the pictures.
[quoted image]

It's never had a reset board, and booted fine before I did the battery removal and Nvram install. I had another 80b without one as well. I don't think that's the issue, at least I hope not since there isn't one in this game!

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Question Max- Did you ohm out the pins on the socket to make sure they are all have continuity to their destinations?

Yes, I always check that after installing a socket. After this had trouble, I pulled the board and rechecked. All test good from what I can tell. I checked from the solder side, as well as the nvram side. Andrew's design gives you a layout of all the pins topside, you can test right on them, and they're even labeled as you can see in the pics, it's great.

#31 4 years ago

Have you tested all the pins to adjacent pins on the IC socket to be sure too much solder did not flow thru to the top side shorting out adjacent pins?

Yep, I checked that... there are (3) sets of adjacent pins that should be connected together, the rest not. Good point though, for anyone else, definitely check that.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

System 80B games will boot up with no 5101 (NV)RAM installed. Remove the NVRAM module and try to boot the board. If the board now boots up the NVRAM likely needs replaced. If the MPU is still locked up something went wrong during the socket install or the daughter board cracked solder during the nvram socket install.
The FM16W08 works down to 3.3v. The CE combining chip is a 74HCT00D. I haven't run into any situations where the v drop from the battery block diode causes issues.

Thanks @barakandl That's good to know, I had no idea. Just checked with nothing in the socket, same issue, so the NVRAM is good (no surprise since the other old RAM chips didn't help either I guess).

So is the next step to pull the board again, and reflow solder to the daughter board connections where they go to the main board? Or should I desolder the daughter board completely from the main board, reflow the underside of the daughter board, then reattach it to the main board? I haven't had daughter board issues with the 80B games I've owned.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Double check around the IC socket install if it stopped working after putting that in. Make sure not traces or holes got torn out and make sure nothing is shorted together that shouldnt be. Like where a trace passes between two IC socket pads.
The daughter board is a pain to rework. You can try to reflow solder but you dont have access to all of the solder joints without removing it entirely which is not the easiest thing to desolder.

Okay thanks, I'll check everything again. I didn't think about checking where traces pass by other socket pads, they do sneak between them. Worth checking for shorts on non-adjacent stuff as well.

I guess I need to do my best to try and desolder that daughter board. I have a feeling it will be a huge pain, but if I'm pulling the board again to test, I might as well try. I have a feeling it will be a tough one.

barakandl In terms of trying to fix this... is the replacement board on your site a better option for my situation? Or is the Piggy Deux a better choice? I've never needed a replacement or work around on any System 80B before.

#38 4 years ago

Check out that RAM IC socket thoughly first.

Just tested the socket. I checked from every pin to every possible other pin. The only pins that show connectivity between each other are the ones that should:

Z5, Pins
9 & 10
11 & 12
13 & 14
16 & 16

Assuming I'm reading the schematic correctly, that's all as it should be.

#39 4 years ago

Pulled the board, rechecked the socket work, all seems good. Checked out and reflowed the daughter board from behind the CPU. I didn't expect it to change much, and it hasn't.

Anything else you can think I should test? If removing the daughter board is as hard as some people say, should I go for the Piggy Deux workaround board? Or maybe try to find someone local with another 80b and borrow their board just to make sure that's the issue?

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

74HCT00 parts are rated for 4.5 to 5.5V operation. At his 4.5V, he's at the very bottom edge of the parts rated VCC range. I would think shorting CR34 would bring the VCC back into proper operating voltage range. Running at the voltage extremes (either high or low) is never a good idea.
74HC00 parts will run at the lower voltage range (2V to 6V) with no problems. And since the two CE inputs are driven by 4000 series CMOS operating from the same Vbat voltage - the 74HC00 would be a much better choice. Food for thought - two FET's and a pullup resistor would have been a good choice as well.
As to the mention of not running without the reset board. Some boards refuse to operate properly without the DIP plug installed regardless of whether or not the reset board is connected. This is due to the addition of a pullup resistor that Gottlieb added during 80A days.
When this resistor is added - some of the boards come back to life.[quoted image]

I love all this info, thank you.

I left the jumper on CR34, and measured the same pins Z4 pins 7 & 14 = 5.06V (pin 4 also 5.06V). No change, still not booting.

Where to next? Is it possible one of the connectors could be an issue? They probably haven't been taken on/off in at least a decade or two. Would repinning or doing more than cleaning the board edges be a possible fix? Trying to eliminate whatever I can before I start running around buying stuff.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Or easiest --> just tell people to jumper over CR34 if using this module. Not that this helped the O.P., though.

It's okay, knowledge should still be out there, even if it doesn't help my specific problem

#48 4 years ago

Anyone near Southern NH want to let me borrow a system 80B board to test?

#51 4 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

With the NVRAM out of the board, take some close-up pictures of the front and back of the 5101 socket. There might be something someone catches in those pictures that could help you out. Otherwise, if I was you I'd use a meter on continuity test and beep things out at the 5101 socket -- without any RAM in there. Use the schematic to verify connections and check adjacent pins for address/data lines that SHOULD NOT have a connection.

Thanks @acebathound , I appreciate that write-up. Sadly, pressing the daughter board doesn't help at all, so I guess there's a solid that's that's not it.

I've pulled the board several times since I installed the socket, and tested everything. It seems good, but maybe it's worth a third go around. I'm pretty sure I've checked every possible mistake/issue, and "beeped" out everything with my meter, but it won't hurt to do it again. Perhaps some pics wouldn't hurt, since it will give everyone a chance to see if I'm visually missing anything. I even searched the board for solder splashes and such, no luck.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Is there any chance you somehow fried the ROMs maxash?

Not sure how I would have, so hopefully not. All I did was remove the RAM / battery, and install the socket.

#55 4 years ago

No luck so far. Debating pulling the RAM socket and trying again, but I'm a little worried about the fragility of these pads/traces with multiple attempts going at them.

1 week later
#56 4 years ago

Cleaned all the edges and connectors again, made sure everything was making good contact, no change. Frustrating

#58 4 years ago

barakandl thank you for that info, I'm game to run through what you said, but I'll be honest, I got a little lost in there. It sounds like you were suggesting two things:

1) Check continuity between the 5101 and the 6502 / Piggyback chip. I was trying to figure out where from the schematic section, but I'll be honest, it's a little confusing.

For example, I see A0 - A7 on the 5101 as pins 4, 3, 2, 1, 21, 5, 6, 7. They seem to be labeled as a group "A", which goes over to AB0-AB10, BAB11? Which then heads over to the 6502 A0 - A11, pins 9-20? I'm a little confused there, my apologies. I'm pretty good with schematics usually, but chip-to-chip stuff and the logic involved isn't as in my wheelhouse sometimes. I'm sure I'm just missing something simple.

2) Remove ROMs (not sure which), turn the game on, and poke around with a logic probe? I'm a little unsure of what to do there. I have a probe, but I've only used it a handful of times on arcade games in the past. Happy to perform whatever testing you suggest, just a little more explanation/guidance would be awesome, if you have time.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I am saying check continuity from the CPU chip to the most likely problems which is 5101 since you just reworked there and the usually problematic piggyback. I think the B thrown in stands for "bus". Its a bit confusing they used multiple designations for things that are electrically connected but AB0 = A0 and etc.
D0 = 6502 P33 = 5101 P9&P10 = PIGGYBACK's 2764 socket P11
A0 = 6502 P9 = 5191 P4 = PIGGYBACK's 2764 socket P10
The BAB10 through BAB13 for upper address piggypack socket is shown on the PROM selection section and connect back to Z10 or Z12.

Okay, makes more sense. I'll do some continuity testing today and report back.

Side question: I'm pretty careful about ESD and such, but is it possible I might have zapped it and messed something up? Never had an issue with that, but figured I'd ask as an aside.

#64 4 years ago

Okay, just verified continuity as follows is all good. I tested from the top of the socket I installed at Z5. Here's where I tested to and from successfully for continuity:

Z5

Pin 1 = 6502 Pin 12
Pin 2 = 6502 Pin 11
Pin 3 = 6502 Pin 10
Pin 4 = 6502 Pin 9
Pin 5 = 6502 Pin 14
Pin 6 = 6502 Pin 15
Pin 7 = 6502 Pin 16
Pin 8 = GND
Pin 9 = 6502 Pin 33
Pin 10 = 6502 Pin 33
Pin 11 = 6502 Pin 32
Pin 12 = 6502 Pin 32
Pin 13 = 6502 Pin 31
Pin 14 = 6502 Pin 31
Pin 15 = 6502 Pin 30
Pin 16 = 6502 Pin 30
Pin 17 = Z4 Pin 10
Pin 18 = Z36 Pin 8
Pin 19 = Z36 Pin 2
Pin 20 = Z36 Pin 9
Pin 21 = 6502 Pin 13
Pin 22 = C11

So it seems I'm getting the connections I should to the next components in line, which leads me to think that my socket is installed correctly.

Thoughts?

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

This is why I use the Frank Lindenmuth battery boards instead of NVRAM.

Never had any issues with NVRAM, always been great. I'm thinking it's something else, given the fact that the socket connections are testing good. Hopefully someone has another suggestion on what to try next.

#69 4 years ago

Also, check continuity from pin 1 to pin2, pin2 to pin 3, etc... just in case you got a solder bridge across 2 adjacent pins.

Yep, that was one of the earlier suggestions, that's been checked as well. There are several that are supposed to be connected, and they test as such. I even went through every combination just to be sure, and nothing is bridged that shouldn't be.

#72 4 years ago

It's a longer thread... it was mentioned earlier that you can actually boot the game without RAM (another member tried and proved that was true). So even if the NVRAM was bad, taking it out would have let it boot, and that didn't work sadly. I also put the original back in, no change.

I don't have the reset board, never did, so that's not it either sadly.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

A picture shows the reset board is not installed, so its not an issue with that. In the same picture I do see an EPROM without a cover on it. The fluorescent lamp used in the head may be able to erase bits over a long period of time. I have noticed in some EPROMs you can crash the CPU just by shining a bright light into an uncovered erase window. After exhausting continuity and short problems it may be time to verify the ROM content and if good try test a ROM.

Interesting, I saw the uncovered EPROM and wondered about the safety of that. I've seen plenty of games where the old cover was gone on these, but not one with a fluorescent light. I wasn't aware that might be an issue with those. I don't have a way to verify the ROMs or make a test ROM myself, but could probably get some help with that. With the ROM files not being readily available, what's the best method for that?

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

Yes but the picture also shows the connector still connected to the MPU. The spring break I worked on would not boot in that situation. I had to completely remove the connector/wiring

I removed the socketed reset piece, just to see if there was a change, no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Yup do the ground mods first. Removing the board means the connectors are seated differently now, could have created a little ground resistance.

I know all the cabinet mods, but haven't done the board ones before. I'll happily do them, but perhaps some temporary jumpering for testing wouldn't hurt too, just to see if it's related. Or I guess I could test continuity to ground for various places, that wouldn't hurt either.

Would a ground issue cause it to not boot like this? Attract mode lights, but nothing else? My ground issues before were always different, so I'm curious.

#87 4 years ago

www.pinwiki.com for ground mod info.
I also suggest adding a small DVM meter to the aux power supply to indicate the exact voltage output. Adjust it to 5V - 5.1V.

Sitting solidly at 5.03V , I tweaked it slightly to 5.09V just for the heck of it, not change in boot.

#88 4 years ago

Try this:
While the machine is on (not booted, but with GI on) push a little on the little daughter card on the MPU. If you see the displays flicker, you've got an issue there. PiggyDeux to the rescue for that.
Also, with the machine off, press on the daughterboard while someone turns the machine on...see if it'll boot.

If you mean the reset board, I don't have one. I never did, this game didn't have one when I got it (and it booted and played just fine).

If you mean the daughter board on the actual CPU board, I can't remove that (it's soldered on). I've tried all the "press on the daughter board" stuff and haven't have any change, sadly. I thought maybe, since the board was lightly resting facedown briefly during the socket install, maybe I screwed it up that way, but it seems unlikely, I was pretty careful.

I've was pondering using someone like Coin Op Cauldron (since cost is low even though lead times are a while). I also thought about buying the $50 PiggyDeux. Given that messing with the daughter board seems to do nothing, I'm not sure if that would be a waste of money. I hate when I can't figure out the issue, makes the decision making portion much harder ha.

#89 4 years ago

Checked a bunch of board-related grounds, seem to have ground continuity, but I'll start working on that stuff just in case. I'm still wondering if repinning all the connectors is worthwhile? Seems like a crazy chore, but that's the only other major thing that was messed with.

#93 4 years ago

Thanks, yep I mentioned that as an option earlier, and was debating it. I was hoping to narrow the problem down to that before spending $50. One of those situations where board repair would run me about twice that with a guarantee, so tossing $50 at a maybe seemed iffy without trying to figure out more first. Sadly not much luck with that so far, despite some great help and suggestions from everyone.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

1) clip right onto the cap on the MPU to check voltage. I aim for 5.05-5.07v, much higher will kick in the crowbar circuit if I remember right.
2) Have you checked pin 40 of the 6502 and seeing if it is low/high with your logic probe?

1) Yep that's where I test it, and it's within that spec

2) No, wasn't sure what exactly you wanted me to do there. Did you just want me to hook the probe to 5V, TTL, and test that pin and see what happens when I turn the game on?

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Yes you are checking for a high or low signal.
On start up it should be low and then after a second switch to high. If it does not switch to high there could be a problem with the reset section of the board. So if stuck low, look at the reset circuit.

It's always high, assuming I did it right.

I had it set on Pulse, TTL, hooked to 5V. Probe on Pin 40 of the 6502, turned the game on, immediately was High ("1" on my probe) and never changed. There *might* be a very slight flicker on the low just before it shows high, but we're talking less than 1/10th of a second, if that. I'm guessing the "low" I should be seeing is not that brief.

Let me know if I did that wrong.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

Sorry if it’s already been suggested but to eliminate “environmental” factors (bad grounds, power, etc) that others have mentioned, are you able to put this board in another 80B machine and confirm that it also doesn’t work in another machine? At least that should support the theory that its a board issue.
Or do you have access to a known good board that you could put into this machine to confirm that it boots?
Edit- I reread your original post and it sounds like the board is somewhat booting. Is PROM2 all the way in? It looks like it’s somewhat out of the socket in your post but it could just be the angle. I WOULD get a small sticker or something on the PROM window to protect it from being corrupted by UV light however.

I've been trying to find someone local with another 80B game I can do some swapping with, but no luck so far. gdonovan offered, but it's a couple of hours ride, which is tough given a busy schedule. I'm sure there's another game closer, but I haven't had much luck finding one so far.

PROM2 has been reseated a couple of times, no change unfortunately. I'll throw a sticker over that window as suggested!

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

In case you decide to continue troubleshooting in light of the offers to ship...you said you’re taking these reading with a logic probe, correct?
If so can you confirm whether on U1, you see 5V/High on the RDY line (pin 2) and pulsing on the IRQ line (pin 4)?

pincity Yep, I have a basic logic probe. As long as there are suggestions on what/how to troubleshoot, I'm happy to keep doing so!

U1 (6502) Pin 2 = High
U1 (6502) Pin 4 = High

Note: Probe set to TTL, Pulse and hooked to 5V

I did not read "pulse" from what I could tell. Both read the same (High).

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

Thanks. So pin 2 looks good, but 4 should be pulsing, not remaining high. Seems like the program is either not starting or crashing at some point.
Since the RAM install is the latest work...
I know you said you ohm’d out all the connections from the pins on the RAM socket to the various connection points elsewhere on the board.
Did you also check continuity from each RAM pin to each other RAM pin to confirm that there isn’t anything (stray solder, etc) bridging any pins to each other that shouldn’t be?
Looking at the schematic, from what I can tell, the only pins that should show continuity to each other on Z5 are:
Pin 9 to Pin 10
Pin 11 to Pin 12
Pin 13 to Pin 14
Pin 15 to Pin 16

Yes, I verified no bridging aside from the ones that should be (post#69). I was hoping that would be the issue, but it seems like everything is okay there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MaxAsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hollywood-heat-stopped-booting-after-nvram?tu=MaxAsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.