• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
20190706_213249_resized_1 (resized).jpg
That_Resistor (resized).jpg
2019-10-29 07_17_14-Internet Pinball Machine Database_ Premier 'Hollywood Heat' Images - Internet Ex (resized).png
HH_CPU2_nvram - Copy (resized).jpg
HH_CPU3_socket - Copy (resized).jpg
HH_CPU1 - Copy (resized).jpg
2019-10-28 10_12_15-https___www.pinitech.com_product_images_ram_locations_ramloc_gottlieb80.jpg - In (resized).png

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

I've been trying to find someone local with another 80B game I can do some swapping with, but no luck so far. gdonovan offered, but it's a couple of hours ride, which is tough given a busy schedule. I'm sure there's another game closer, but I haven't had much luck finding one so far.
PROM2 has been reseated a couple of times, no change unfortunately. I'll throw a sticker over that window as suggested!

If you wish to mail the board down, I don't mind doing some troubleshooting in my Hollywood Heat.

Its only here till next month though as it is spoken for.

#102 4 years ago

I have a non-working Gold WIngs, and a non-working Monte Carlo in the shop at the moment. If you'd like, you can send the board to me and I can throw it in both to see if I get ANY change in boot up.

Also, I have 2 piggy-deux in house that I can plug in to see if that helps.

PM me if you'd like to send the board out to me. I am in PA so shipping should only be a day or 2 each way.

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

I've been trying to find someone local with another 80B game I can do some swapping with, but no luck so far. gdonovan offered, but it's a couple of hours ride, which is tough given a busy schedule. I'm sure there's another game closer, but I haven't had much luck finding one so far.
PROM2 has been reseated a couple of times, no change unfortunately. I'll throw a sticker over that window as suggested!

In case you decide to continue troubleshooting in light of the offers to ship...you said you’re taking these reading with a logic probe, correct?

If so can you confirm whether on U1, you see 5V/High on the RDY line (pin 2) and pulsing on the IRQ line (pin 4)?

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

In case you decide to continue troubleshooting in light of the offers to ship...you said you’re taking these reading with a logic probe, correct?
If so can you confirm whether on U1, you see 5V/High on the RDY line (pin 2) and pulsing on the IRQ line (pin 4)?

pincity Yep, I have a basic logic probe. As long as there are suggestions on what/how to troubleshoot, I'm happy to keep doing so!

U1 (6502) Pin 2 = High
U1 (6502) Pin 4 = High

Note: Probe set to TTL, Pulse and hooked to 5V

I did not read "pulse" from what I could tell. Both read the same (High).

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

pincity Yep, I have a basic logic probe. As long as there are suggestions on what/how to troubleshoot, I'm happy to keep doing so!
U1 (6502) Pin 2 = High
U1 (6502) Pin 4 = High
Note: Probe set to TTL, Pulse and hooked to 5V
I did not read "pulse" from what I could tell. Both read the same (High).

Thanks. So pin 2 looks good, but 4 should be pulsing, not remaining high. Seems like the program is either not starting or crashing at some point.

Since the RAM install is the latest work...

I know you said you ohm’d out all the connections from the pins on the RAM socket to the various connection points elsewhere on the board.

Did you also check continuity from each RAM pin to each other RAM pin to confirm that there isn’t anything (stray solder, etc) bridging any pins to each other that shouldn’t be?

Looking at the schematic, from what I can tell, the only pins that should show continuity to each other on Z5 are:

Pin 9 to Pin 10
Pin 11 to Pin 12
Pin 13 to Pin 14
Pin 15 to Pin 16

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

Thanks. So pin 2 looks good, but 4 should be pulsing, not remaining high. Seems like the program is either not starting or crashing at some point.
Since the RAM install is the latest work...
I know you said you ohm’d out all the connections from the pins on the RAM socket to the various connection points elsewhere on the board.
Did you also check continuity from each RAM pin to each other RAM pin to confirm that there isn’t anything (stray solder, etc) bridging any pins to each other that shouldn’t be?
Looking at the schematic, from what I can tell, the only pins that should show continuity to each other on Z5 are:
Pin 9 to Pin 10
Pin 11 to Pin 12
Pin 13 to Pin 14
Pin 15 to Pin 16

Yes, I verified no bridging aside from the ones that should be (post#69). I was hoping that would be the issue, but it seems like everything is okay there.

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

Yes, I verified no bridging aside from the ones that should be (post#69). I was hoping that would be the issue, but it seems like everything is okay there.

D’oh! Sorry, missed that!

Section 5.6 on this page on the pin wiki may be helpful. Some of the things you’ve already tested are on there.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

I would probably next be checking to make sure continuity from all the address, data, etc lines to the piggyback are intact. It’s tedious but may be necessary to either find the issue or eliminate the variable.

This thread also talks about a high IRQ line https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gott-sys80b-mpu-irq-stuck-high

Also, if you have access to a rom burner, you could try burning a test rom.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Coalinga, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 15.00
There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hollywood-heat-stopped-booting-after-nvram/page/3?hl=maxash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.