rollpinpunch (resized).jpg
Flipper6 (resized).JPG
Flipper5 (resized).JPG
Flipper4 (resized).JPG
Flipper3 (resized).JPG
Flipper2 (resized).JPG
Flipper1 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I offered to help my friend rebuild the flippers for his Hollywood Heat pinball machine. I helped him find the rebuild kit online but encountered an unexpected problem when tearing the old ones apart. I can't figure out how to get the piston out from this metal bracket. The kit came with a new piston obviously, but I need to keep this metal bracket intact. The two of us couldn't figure out how to pry it apart. There is a pin going though the middle holding the piston in place, but I can't seem to pry it out. It won't push through either side. I saw another gold pin which you can see in the picture that turned with an allen wrench, but it also won't come out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Flipper1 (resized).JPGFlipper1 (resized).JPG

Flipper2 (resized).JPGFlipper2 (resized).JPG

Flipper3 (resized).JPGFlipper3 (resized).JPG

Flipper4 (resized).JPGFlipper4 (resized).JPG

Flipper5 (resized).JPGFlipper5 (resized).JPG

Flipper6 (resized).JPGFlipper6 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

It is a roll pin. A roll pin punch works great. I use a short length of 2X4 with a small hole through it ( so you don't nail the roll pin into the 2X4 ) then hold the object over the hole. Set a roll pin punch on the roll pin, and whack away with a hammer.

Reverse the procedure to secure the new plunger.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Thanks LTG I appreciate the help. I googled a roll pin punch and I think I know what I need to do. Put the small thin part of the punch in the hold and hammer it through.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Put the small thin part of the punch in the hold and hammer it through.

If you use a regular punch, careful you don't get it stuck in there.

A roll pin punch has a rim that fits over the edge of the roll pin, and a small extrusion ( half round ) that sits in the hole in the roll pin.

rollpinpunch (resized).jpgrollpinpunch (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Ok, hopefully my last dumb question of the day. Am I knocking out the gold pin or the metal one in between the plunger? I'm not even sure if the silver one is a pin or if it's part of the bracket.

#6 6 years ago

These aren't dumb questions. All great stuff to ask BEFORE you take a punch and a hammer to that pin.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

These aren't dumb questions. All great stuff to ask BEFORE you take a punch and a hammer to that pin.

Especially when it's not mine.

#8 6 years ago

remove roll pin

f9f2634744d1d21be75a9b9cec25e1ea97587597 (resized).jpgf9f2634744d1d21be75a9b9cec25e1ea97587597 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Am I knocking out the gold pin or the metal one in between the plunger? I'm not even sure if the silver one is a pin or if it's part of the bracket.

oldschoolbob pointed it out.

See the oblong hole in the new one ? See where the old one pivots ? Knock the gold rivet out and you don't accomplish swapping old plunger with new.

#10 6 years ago

Oldschoolbob, it's embarrassing that I need a diagram but that's actually perfect for me so thank you very much. LTG you are the best as always.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hollywood-heat-flipper-rebuild-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.