(Topic ID: 324090)

Hollywood Heat, doesn't recognize playfield switches

By TooManyToyz

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hello fellow Pinball fans. I recently purchased a Gottlieb Hollywood Heat and have been chasing down all the problems. Everything is now working EXCEPT it doesn't see ANY of the playfield switches in test mode. Therefore it won't start a game. Where should I look first? I have done the ground mod in the body, but not in the head. Also the slam switch bypass. Is there a tutorial or FAQ for everything to be done to a System 80B machine? A little background on me, I recently retired from over 40 years as an electronics tech. At one point I had a business repairing home arcade machines, but they were mostly EM's and early digitals, Flash, Gorgar, etc. Mostly Williams and Bally. I have virtually any piece of test gear you can think of, and have no problem doing board level repairs.

#2 1 year ago

It is common for coil voltage to get sent down the switch lines. Diode test z11,12,13, and 14 to see if any are bad

#3 1 year ago

Tested with my Fluke 87. Z11 appears to be bad. I'm going to go ahead and replace all four. How do I prevent this from happening again?.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from TooManyToyz:

Tested with my Fluke 87. Z11 appears to be bad. I'm going to go ahead and replace all four. How do I prevent this from happening again?.

Don't make adjustments under the playfield with the game turned on.

#5 1 year ago

Don’t replace all 4.
    Replace the one you think has failed.
    Use a socket.
    Then test.
    You don’t want to introduce uncertainty into the process.
    One step at a time.
    Z15 should be tested also.

Robert Doerr has created a small board that blocks shorts to HV. I can’t recall his PinSide name.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from TooManyToyz:

As said by others, replace and test each. If the underlying problem is gone, it's usually someone adjusting with the machine on, then you should see half the matrix come back. If by chance you have to replace multiple there is a daughter board available on pinside that adds blocking diodes to prevent this

1 week later
    #7 1 year ago

Thanks Pinsiders. Following your advice, I removed the 7404 Z11, and socketed a new one. The game now coins up and starts. This leaves just the usual driver replacement, contact cleaning, and adjustment, lamps, etc. I should mention that I purchased this as a non-working project game, so I have no idea when or how the damage was done.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hollywood-heat-doesn-t-recognize-playfield-switches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.