Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20161202_234433 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161202_234417 (resized).jpg
RAVEN photo 08b (resized).jpg
IMG_20161202_175302 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161202_175139 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I am looking at this Hollywood Heat CPU board. There are two wires that have broken off the CPU board in the connection to the sub/aux board.
Can anyone tell me where the wires are supposed to go?
Does you System 80b board look similar?

The white wire coming off the A24-P2 connector obviously goes in to the 3rd connector slot on the aux board. I can see the wire still in the connector, it has just broken off.
But the orange/white cable, the 2nd-from-the-top on the aux board connector, I have no idea where that connects to.

IMG_20161202_175139 (resized).jpgIMG_20161202_175139 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161202_175302 (resized).jpgIMG_20161202_175302 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

That's your connection to the reset board... For the most part unnecessary once you get everything up and running properly.
White with orange stripe (plug pin 6) should go to pin 24 of A24-P2 (cathode end of diode on DIP adapter). Pin 24 of TC1 is actually an unused position and connection to the CPU board is actually made through that diode. This is the reset output from that reset board - being disconnected shows the reset board has been doing -nothing-.

Is that yellow wire really tied to pin 17?!?! Pin 17 is your CPU reset line and this connection would render the entire reset module useless. That should be tied to the IRQ line which is on pin 16.

On that machine, the function of this reset module is to monitor the CPU board's IRQ line. If it goes inactive (stuck high or low due to locked software and/or hardware), the reset module would time-out after a brief period and send a reset pulse to the CPU board to restart things (hopefully).

And - if the caps on the reset board are originals... they are small value caps which tend to go bad as time progresses. If you plan on keeping the functionality of the reset boards, I would replace caps C1 thru C4.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

And - if the caps on the reset board are originals... they are small value caps which tend to go bad as time progresses. If you plan on keeping the functionality of the reset boards, I would replace caps C1 thru C4.

Thanks, will order replacements.
I am trying the game step-by-step. I had the CPU connected to the power supply and had 5.0V across C1, so my next test was attaching the display and see if the game boots, but alas it did not.
I was hoping the game was not booting due to the reset board not being attached, but are you saying that if it is not connected then it wouldn't interfere with normal booting? If so then that means even after I fix this (soon) I will still have other major issues on the board to find.

Also, I found this photo from a past Raven I had...

RAVEN photo 08b (resized).jpgRAVEN photo 08b (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Is that yellow wire really tied to pin 17?!?! Pin 17 is your CPU reset line and this connection would render the entire reset module useless. That should be tied to the IRQ line which is on pin 16.

And yes, It is tied to 17 for some reason!
And I got a photo of the schematics and yup, the other line that is loose should be on 17.

Please please please tell me there is a chance this might be causing it to fail?
Anyways, I won't get a chance to work on this until next week, but I super appreciate your reply.
~cait

IMG_20161202_234417 (resized).jpgIMG_20161202_234417 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161202_234433 (resized).jpgIMG_20161202_234433 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

Ick. That board has quite a few hacks on it. The red wire going to the 6502 (D1 from the looks of it), the green wire to the via on the board and I think A0? at the pinout on the daughterboard. Also looks like some hot glue under the daughterboard / eprom board so that may have been pulled and "fixed" at some point since that daughterboard is notorious for cold/cracked solder joints. I'd guess that's part of what's causing your board not to boot and it's the first thing I'd clean up if I was repairing the board.

I'd have pointed you to this.. http://www.pinitech.com/products/gottlieb_piggydeux.php -- however, considering some of the hacks I'm seeing I'd have to see the back of the MPU too to know what kind of other hacks or pulled pads/traces might be on the back. Sorry if any of the hacks were your attempts to fix anything, I'm just pointing out what's visible

I've also got this available, that might help you diagnose the board further depending on your skill level:
http://www.pinitech.com/products/gottlieb_universaltester.php

But it may also be more cost-effective or save you time to just send the board out for repair to someone like Chris Hibler @ http://chrishiblerpinball.com/ Just depends on how far you're wanting/willing to go yourself in regard to money and time spent.. or if you're set on learning & fixing yourself.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

And yes, It is tied to 17 for some reason!
And I got a photo of the schematics and yup, the other line that is loose should be on 17.
Please please please tell me there is a chance this might be causing it to fail?
Anyways, I won't get a chance to work on this until next week, but I super appreciate your reply.
~cait

This was attached incorrectly but won't be the source of your problem. Just leave that plug uninstalled to the reset board until you figure out why the main CPU board isn't running. Disconnect the 7 pin plug from the reset board. Leave that 40 pin DIP adapter installed as that 3.3K resistor on the adapter is a pullup for your Read/Write signal. This resistor greatly helps with some of the more stubborn boards.

#7 7 years ago

Your Hollywood Heat CPU board has a Genesis Game Rom (705). Hollywood Heat should be 703. I agree with acebouthound: replace the piggyback and clean up the mess around it; by a pro if you are not experienced with PCB repairing.

Marco

#8 7 years ago

The jumpers appear to be there due to broken traces often caused by futzing around with that EPROM adapter. The jumpers on your board go between the U3 (where adapter is plugged into) position and components to the left of U2 (beneath adapter) position so there is probably a trace break between the U2 and U3 positions. Most probably at U3 where headers are soldered.
The plus side to using a replacement adapter type that plugs into new U2/U3 IC sockets is it will actually jumper over breaks between U2 and U3 and also provides redundant connections to signals that don't have breaks.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=140-101
This does require you to install normal IC sockets at U2 and U3 positions whereas the other adapter just plugs into TC1.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Sorry if any of the hacks were your attempts to fix anything, I'm just pointing out what's visible

Oh no worries, none of this is my doing. This game was pulled out from a storage and I'm having a whirl at trying to get it running again.
The game's flipper rubbers were literally layers of rubber bands.
Thanks for the piggy-back board link.

Quoted from acebathound:

Just depends on how far you're wanting/willing to go yourself in regard to money and time spent.. or if you're set on learning & fixing yourself.

When it comes to board work I always get someone else to do the fine soldering for me, but I try and do all of the diagnosis on my own. I like the trouble-shooting and analysis aspect. I'm crap with a soldering iron, but love me some schematics.

Quoted from MarAlb:

Your Hollywood Heat CPU board has a Genesis Game Rom (705). Hollywood Heat should be 703.

LOL omg!
Does that mean if it worked it would boot up and display the Genesis startup text on the displays??

#10 7 years ago

also: the driver board AND the CPU board are labeled 705 (Genesis)! Guess this machine borrowed some parts, but they operated it with the Genesis ROM? wierd.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hollywood-heat-cpu-wire-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.