IMG-20221010-WA0000 (resized).jpg
2023-09-12 20.29.32 (resized).jpg
E3CE37DF-94A8-43DA-AD1D-26FC789C9A43 (resized).jpeg
Finished Pinball -16 (resized).jpg
Finished Pinball -15 (resized).jpg
Finished Pinball -13 (resized).jpg
Finished Pinball -11 (resized).jpg
Finished Pinball -10 (resized).jpg
There are 282 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 8 years ago

My daughter and I have been playing Hollywood Heat the last couple nights, and it dawned on me that I'd never had as much fun playing pinball with her than HH. The quick multiple locks and multiball stealing is crazy fun. For the price, this game turned out to be crazy underrated.image_2.jpegimage_2.jpegimage_1.jpegimage_1.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#2 8 years ago

Did the half shirted break dancer scare everyone away? It's a cool club. Really...

#3 8 years ago

Anyone else have a modified Teed Off ramp? How did you end up mounting it? Also, the playfield is pretty dark. Have you added spots?image.jpegimage.jpeg

#4 8 years ago

I had one for a minute but sold it. Fun game for sure. Too many system 80b quirks for my liking. I thought my playfield was dark then realized I had several hard to find lights out. Mine had the original ramp which was of course cracked and had been repaired.

#5 8 years ago

Quirks as in technical issues, artwork or strange gameplay design? I agree that this game is truly quirky. I wouldn't choose it as my only pin, but with a few others in the collection, it shines.

#6 8 years ago

I just grabbed a project HH for short money. It's a couple away in the queue for fixing but I'm looking forward to ideas and suggestions from people that enjoy the game. Theme is awful but the layout looks interesting.

#7 8 years ago

Quirks as in technical issues. Specifically sound dropping in and out and display acting crazy. Even after doing the ground mods in bottom of cabinet, replacing large filter capacitor, new 5v trim pot on power supply...

#8 8 years ago

Hollywood Heat was my first and last system 80b. Way too many other pins using more reliable hardware.

#9 8 years ago

All the issues with my Black Hole turned out to be bad edge connectors, so I'd check there first on any system 80. I'd love to find a Hollywood Heat to play (not own). I pumped a lot of quarters into this game at Georgia Tech.

#10 8 years ago

Put in some much-needed spot lights. The upper playfield was very obscured by the translight reflection. Going to add led strips at bottom and on new ramp. Also working on a pink flamingo topper. image.jpegimage.jpeg

1 week later
#11 8 years ago

I can only get the knocker to fire when set to points for extra ball instead of actual extra balls. I love knockers. I love extra balls! Why can't I have my cake and heat it too!

#12 8 years ago

I am jonesimg sooo bad for this game. There is a fully shopped one on location about 2 hrs from me and a ratty one a about 45 mins from me. Also on loc. I'm on a buying freeze but come August...ohh it it game on!!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

I am jonesimg sooo bad for this game. There is a fully shopped one on location about 2 hrs from me and a ratty one a about 45 mins from me. Also on loc. I'm on a buying freeze but come August...ohh it it game on!!

There's something about this game's flow that gets my heart pumping. My desire for a ridiculously long and high-pitched multi-ball bonus keeps me turning it on daily. Good luck in your search. This club needs more members!

3 weeks later
#14 8 years ago

Well, I'll bump an older thread for giggles... I recently picked up an HH and really enjoy the game. I agree the playfield is really dark in spots, so I added the flexible 2-LED bulbs to allow 1 to shine "up" through the plastics, and the other turned to illuminate the dark spots. It turned out really nice. I was lucky enough to score a 2nd playfield from the previous owner when I bought the machine (mostly just wood, but some parts/plastics still remain as backups).

I'm having an issue with my ramp though. Every time I shoot for the ramp, the ball seems to "hop" as it goes over the metal flange and often skips right over the side of the ramp making the shot almost impossible. I have tried to straighten the flange out, but it doesn't really seem to help. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, WTF are the 2 < > buttons for on the front of the machine? lol

I'm also working on doing a "soft re-theme" of this title for fun. Nothing major, just some alternate artwork that I think matches the original theme well enough. I'll post pics once I get it finished.

#15 8 years ago

We have a new member!!! I'm still loving this game, btw.

I haven't had any issues with ball jumps on the ramp, other than the hot shot ramp . Which happens to be one of the strangest additions to a playfield I have seen. It's also strangely satisfying to hit.

The buttons are for high score name entry. Not sure why they didn't just use the flipper buttons. Again, Gottliebs are weird, and that's partly why I love them.

I'd love to see the retheme. Keep us updated!

#16 8 years ago

i just cranked up the levelers on the back legs, and I love it. I was worried that the ramp would be hard to hit with the increased slope, but it's exactly the opposite. I also just had a Hot Shot ramp straight to ball lock shot. I love that feeling.

What are your thoughts on glow balls in this machine? Has anyone tried it?

#17 8 years ago

Some day this club will blow up like a hot night on Hollywood Blvd, and I will say that I saw it happen.

#18 8 years ago

Count me in . It was my first pin. Bought it non working and fixed it all up. She started the addiction for me.

#19 8 years ago

I've stopped breaking windows until the replacements arrive.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#20 8 years ago

This game is for sure the next tx sector

1 week later
#21 8 years ago

Just picked one of these up, gotta love the style factor.

Are there any ground mods for the boards in the backbox themselves? I did the one under the playfeild but I'm experiencing resets and the game often won't start until I 'tap' on the board connectors. Also the right flipper isn't working, I'm hoping this is ground related as well...

#22 8 years ago

All the ground mods were completed when I purchased mine, so I never looked in to what they entail.

I was experiencing resets at one point. A wire had come off of the little reset board on the bottom right of the backbox

#23 8 years ago

HH was my second pin ever and it lasted about a year before letting another pinsider take over the enjoyment.

It takes a bit of skill to lock all the balls for multiball and drive towards the higher scores. Challenging for sure.

HH was the basis for a Pinsider remake of a Goonies themed pin.

1 week later
#24 8 years ago

Just had a 3mil bonus. Gotta love that sound.

#25 8 years ago

Just got mine all LED'd.

Went heavy on the Pink / Cyan as per the 80's theme. I love it.

20151229_144732_(resized).jpg20151229_144732_(resized).jpg

20151229_144849_(resized).jpg20151229_144849_(resized).jpg

20151229_144917_(resized).jpg20151229_144917_(resized).jpg

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

Just got mine all LED'd.
Went heavy on the Pink / Cyan as per the 80's theme. I love it.
20151229_144732_(resized).jpg
20151229_144849_(resized).jpg
20151229_144917_(resized).jpg

Great look aesthetically, but way too dark!

#27 8 years ago

Looks good! Hopefully the flipper issue isn't a problem still? Who'd you use for the led's?

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from anthony691:

Great look aesthetically, but way too dark!

Nah! It's not that dark in person. The light is more even (less extreme brights and darks) in person than it looks photographed. I do love the colors though.

Quoted from str8cash:

Looks good! Hopefully the flipper issue isn't a problem still? Who'd you use for the led's?

Thanks! The wiring was really wonked out... It's resolved now but I'm shocked that it was working before. Still need to resolder a few points, but it is working now!

I went with Comet, very happy with the quality of their LEDs. Compared to my last order, ablaze from Pinball life, Comet is WAY better. No comparison IMHO.

3 weeks later
#29 8 years ago

Let's blow this thread up!!! Catch it on fire!!!

#30 8 years ago

Might be tough, considering this is Hollywood Heat we're talking about.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but let's not fool ourselves... It's not anywhere close to an A title.

Still, kudos for trying!

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

Might be tough, considering this is Hollywood Heat we're talking about.
Don't get me wrong, I like it, but let's not foll ourselves... It's not anywhere close to an A title.
Still, kudos for trying!

You're right. It's no Deadly Weapon, but it deserves more attention.

The Heat is on!

#32 8 years ago

I played a couple beat up Hollywood heats and couldn't stand the game until I finally played a really nice one at a pinball expo and liked it, I have a couple Gottlieb from that Era that I really like, plus I like the price point, wouldn't mind owning one myself but every time I see one for sale it's either too far away or a complete turd.

#33 8 years ago

Does anyone have a fully working one for sale? It doesn't have to be pretty, but I need one that works 100%!

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

Let's blow this thread up!!! Catch it on fire!!!

Well I'll help! I just piked up a Raven and would love to put a HH next to it. Anyone have one for sale within 200 miles of Detroit, let me know

X

1 week later
#35 8 years ago

My Hollywood Heatbgot a lot of airtime this past weekend. We streamed it at www.twitch.tv/fz_berz

Check out the archives and tune in tonight for some WCS. I'm therealwobblychair, btw.

#36 8 years ago

God, such a great game!!! Still looking for mine.....

#37 8 years ago

YES! A thread after my own heart. I did make Goonies from a Hollywood Heat and had another really nice example at the same time. I love the layout and playing a multiplayer game is the best way to play.

#38 8 years ago

Sold my HH a few months back, but already miss it. Super fun game, totally underrated. I hope to get a nicer one in the future.

#39 8 years ago

Just set mine back up. Will be for sale soon in case anyone sees this and is interested. We are moving. ...

#40 8 years ago

Sent you a message Carl

#41 8 years ago

I bought one for $250.00 shopped it and played the you know what out of it. It was fun but I had to sell it because I did not like the translite (mainly the girl on the left) or that annoying siren sound. But don't get me wrong it was fun! Underrated for the price.

Rob

1 month later
#42 8 years ago

I played this many years ago, but it was ratted out then. Not sure what they look/play like now.

If I could find one local (NorCal) I'd probably pick it up for nostalgia's sake. But the only ones I see for sale are back east, where I can't look at it first and it would cost 50% of the game price to ship it here.

Maybe one will turn up eventually. Some of the pics in this thread show that it can be sort of cool looking.

Robert

#43 8 years ago

I might be one of the few that love these cheesy knockoffs from Gottlieb like Deadly Weapon and Hollywood Heat. I've been looking at a Spring Break recently and will probably pick it up soon. The unique layouts from these Premier Gottliebs are what draws me in and for the price, you can try it and if it doesn't tickle your fancy, move it along. Great to see some love for HH.

#44 8 years ago

Just had ours restored, still dealing with board issues though. Ill post pics once its complete.

#45 8 years ago

One day I woke up and thought "man, I've never learned to solder, perhaps a dead pinball machine would be fun?". Two weeks later, found a dead heat in a guy's garage for a hundred bucks. The flash-lamps had all locked on, and melted out the inserts. I found Clay's guides and got to work. Re-did a huge chunk of the cpu board from battery damage; Learned to use a logic probe; got to learn about pbresource; sprayed a ton of varathane. It was a huge adventure, now I maintain like 12 machines for friends in the area. I have it on location at a local brewery, and it is a tank.
It will always be my favorite machine. I couldn't believe how fun it actually was, that first time I was crapping myself while everything booted.

This thread is awesome and true, thanks!

#46 8 years ago

Here it is in pink, green for St. Pats a few years ago. Also, I may have photoshopped my head onto the translite. Sometimes I just stand by the machine when it's crowded and see if people notice.

10994778_10155191085425344_1038534980_n_(resized).jpg10994778_10155191085425344_1038534980_n_(resized).jpg

11057458_10155310290425344_2715821161175186681_n_(resized).jpg11057458_10155310290425344_2715821161175186681_n_(resized).jpg

10410884_1090173924328609_4662045281735302398_n_(resized).jpg10410884_1090173924328609_4662045281735302398_n_(resized).jpg

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

I may have photoshopped my head onto the translite.

That's just awesome-o.

Sadly, I'm not actually in this club. I'm a TX-Sector snob.

#48 8 years ago

Haha. I try not to even look at my translite. I would love a good alternate translite. I am awaiting parts and expect to get mine up and running soon.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

Here it is in pink, green for St. Pats a few years ago. Also, I may have photoshopped my head onto the translite. Sometimes I just stand by the machine when it's crowded and see if people notice.

10994778_10155191085425344_1038534980_n_(resized).jpg11057458_10155310290425344_2715821161175186681_n_(resized).jpg10410884_1090173924328609_4662045281735302398_n_(resized).jpg

Nice Skycursor poster. That was a fun game down at LAX.

#50 8 years ago

I'd like to find an NOS or nice non-faded original translite.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 282 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hollywood-heat-club-meet-out-front-of-the-carlyle-hotel?hl=luckycreature and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.