You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot from 2022-11-30 16-22-30 (resized).png
Screenshot from 2022-11-29 22-52-26 (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

Hello everyone,
I have a 80B Hollywood Heat machine that instantly burns out the fuse to the popbumper. I have tried a number of fuses, replaced the pop bumper driver board, and beeped out all the grounds. My machine has the grounding mod (wirenut all the ground wires to the transformer case). I even verified the coil was good by directly powering it via a DC power source (it pops in that case) and checking the resistance (it was a nominal 4.5 ohms)

I feel like I have tried everything.

The popbumper semantic shows two grounds across it. (see attached image) Pin 6 and Pin 2 should effectively be the same ground, however when using each one as a reference I get a ~.25 volt discrepancy when reading to pin 5. Could this be causing the issue? Should I just short these two grounds together? Why would the "DC Ground" and the "Solenoid Ground Bus" be at a different potential, and why even have two different grounds in this case?

Please advise.

Screenshot from 2022-11-29 22-52-26 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2022-11-29 22-52-26 (resized).png
#2 1 year ago

DC ground and your solenoid ground should be connected via the ground mods, so your discrepancy is different resistance in the wiring/connectors. Solenoid grounds were probably separated from DC grounds for noise suppression from the solenoid. Go ahead and try jumping the 2 grounds together there for testing.

It's odd that its popping the fuse as the pop bumper driver board is supposed to reject spurious inputs including a stuck switch, and just fire it once for the period.

Is the +5 sagging when it pops?

#3 1 year ago

I shorted the two grounds together; same issue (burned out fuse). As I beeped the other coils (flipper, etc) I noticed that they are able to beep to ground... is this expected? Those coils still function in game. So strange!

I am not sure how to test the +5 sagging when it pops, as I can only make it pop with an external power source (rest of the game is off)

#4 1 year ago

It locks when you turn on game? Is the connector keyed? I thought the power was cut to all solenoid via the relay.... Maybe not on 80b.

#5 1 year ago

It looks like all the coils I tested against have a lead to ground. (see attached screenshot)

None of the coils appear to "lock on", and other than the pop bumper everything works. When I ran the direct power source to the coil the device read a load of about 2.5 amps, a bit more than the 2 amp that the fuse is rated for. Could the coil be "a little" shorted? How bad would it be to try a 3 amp fuse?

Screenshot from 2022-11-30 16-22-30 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2022-11-30 16-22-30 (resized).png
#6 1 year ago

Measure the resistance of the coil on the pop that blows the fuse.
Compare to others.
Perhaps the coil has undergone heat stress and therefore, lower resistance.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#7 1 year ago

Hi Chris,
I took out the pop bumper coil and measured the ohms - it was right on spec. I also verified that it pops when out of circuit with an external power source. For good measure I replaced the diode too.

After putting it all back together I got a few weak pops, then another dead fuse. There must be a short somewhere but I can't seem to figure out where it could be...

#8 1 year ago

Gentlemen,
I have solved the mystery. It was deep, dark, and maybe a little silly.

I had recently purchased this machine. It ended up that someone before me had attached the pop bumper coil diode in the wrong orientation. This in turn fried to the driver board which caused the coil to lock on causing the fuse to fail. After I replaced the driver board I very quickly had the same issues again. (and another dead transistor on the driver board)

After this I removed the coil and examined the diode - it was reversed from how it should have been in the semantic! So, I bought ANOTHER driver board and decided to get a new coil for good measure.

Now it all works!

Moral of the story: If your coils are acting strange check the diode orientation... you never know if some silly goose before you turned it around!

#9 1 year ago

Well done.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hollywood-heat-80b-gt-pop-bumper-burns-out-fuse-instantly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.