Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 289 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Taxman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

apk (resized).jpg
    20160813_195641 (resized).jpg
    BreakfastShits (resized).png
    birdflu (resized).PNG
    th (resized).jpg
    Medicinal,Man! (resized).jpeg
    science1 (resized).jpg
    bubbleboy1a (resized).jpg
    double_dip_1 (resized).jpg
    JM (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2464 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Can't believe it's 2017 and we're still on the fence about science.

It's disheartening, isn't it? I've got a degree in environmental science, my fiancé in bio, my very close friend is an engineer, and another close friend is in grad school for physics. We're basically the Big Bang Theory when we all get together. I feel like whenever I hear someone deny science/research/medicine, I'm taken back because so many of my peers wouldn't think to really question it. I've tried to entertain other arguments, but... I can't.

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cybergoonie:

The Flu vaccines contain mercury, a heavy metal known to be hazardous for human health.

No it doesn't. Well, large multi-dose bottles of the vaccine contain thimerosal (which contains mercury), but single use injections do not. Also, the mercury found in thimerosal is completely harmless for all intents and purposes. Saying "vaccines contain mercury, so they're bad!" is like saying, "table salt contains sodium--an element that EXPLODES when touching water--and chlorine, a harsh element we use to SANITIZE our pools! Never EVER consume salt again!" When salt/sodium chloride is absolutely necessary for nervous system/neuron transfers. No sodium in our bodies=death.

Also, it's important to recognize the different forms of Mercury: Ethylmercury and Methylmercury. Methylmercury=bad. Found in fillings, fish, can harm your central nervous system. Ethylmercury=type that is broken down by the body in thimerosal, and is cleared from the bloodstream quite easily. Harmless.

Source: CDC "Understanding Thimerosal, Mercury, and Vaccine Safety" February 2013

Quoted from Cybergoonie:

There is mounting evidence that flu shots can cause Alzheimer's disease.

Absolutely not true. Not even close. This myth was perpetuated by Hugh Fudenberg who made the claim with absolutely no evidence. In fact, yearly flu vaccines are being found to decrease your risk of Alzheimer's.

Source: Alzheimer's Association and Journal of the American Medical Association October 2013

Quoted from Cybergoonie:

It’s all about the $$$$$$$$$ and has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your health and well being.

Wrong again, sir. Flu vaccines developed by Glaxo SmithKline, Sanofi Pasteur, and Novartis, (the top 3 companies who develop the flu vaccine) only accounted for 0.3% of their total profits per year, and around only 4.5% of their total combined profits.

Source: Kalorama Information April 2014

Quoted from Cybergoonie:

To those that aren't ready to unplug from the pile of crap society, the government, or CDC feeds you etc...then that's fine. They want you to be sheeple.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but as someone who has peer reviewed countless articles of scientific literature in my college days, and has worked in the government, I'm confident in the scientists who tirelessly work to keep completely preventable diseases at bay. Who'd have thought we would be able to eradicate entire diseases that have a devastating impact on humans?! (I'm lookin' at you Smallpox, and hopefully you too, Polio).

Vaccines are truly a modern marvel. Not supporting them has a profound impact on human health (i.e. Measles, Mumps, and Whooping cough outbreaks in NYC due to non vaccinated children.)

Links to citations:
    http://www.kaloramainformation.com/Content/Blog/2014/04/04/Quadrivalents-Boost-Flu-Vaccine-Sales
    http://blog.alz.org/timely-topic-flu-vaccine-not-linked-to-alzheimers/
    https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/patient-ed/conversations/downloads/vacsafe-thimerosal-color-office.pdf

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Do you hear canned laughter after every other word you say ?

Everyday The laughter keeps me up at night, and I can no longer go to the movies without disturbing everyone around me

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

Am I wrong for thinking that if the flu shot is so effective, then those who get the shot shouldn't have to worry about dying from the flu just because they ran into a contagious person who hasn't gotten the shot?

Yes, because flu vaccines are developed months before "flu season" starts. Scientists, using field models and historical data, try to predict which flu virus will be the most virulent that particular year, and essentially use a "best guess" to determine what strain they'll use.

Generally, there is more than one strain used in vaccines for broader protection. More often than not, they get it right. Sometimes they don't, and other strains become dominant that aren't protected through the vaccine. Either way, there's always more than one strain of the flu floating around. Getting vaccinated doesn't guarantee safety 100% of the time, but it gets damn close.

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

That's just a theory....or an educated guess.

Be careful how you word yourself, wickerman.

In scientific literature, the word "theory" has a completely different meaning than it does in "standard english;" and in my opinion, the failure to make the distinction between the two meanings is what causes such controversy between the public and scientists.

To clarify:

In terms of "common" usage, the word theory does convey "educated guesses" or "contemplative thinking."

In science, however, the word theory (It SHOULD be referred to as a "formal theory" or "scientific theory") represents a wholly substantiated explanation of the real world though repeated testing using the scientific method. Scientific theories are the most reliable and comprehensive form of knowledge.

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

If they are high risk shouldn't they be the ones getting the shot?

No, because often the people at the highest risk are incapable of receiving the vaccine. There are plenty of people who are unable to receive the flu vaccine. Anyone under the age of 6 months old cannot receive it, people with severely compromised immune systems cannot receive it, or people who are allergic to any of the components of the vaccine.

Vaccines work on two levels: The first level is through "herd immunization." This process is only effective when large groups of people receive a vaccine, and therefor do not become a disease vector (i.e. they cannot pass the flu to others). This is how people protect those who cannot receive the vaccine, since enough people surrounding them cannot pass it around.

The second level is the personal immunization factor: Where you, yourself receive immunization to keep diseases from spreading.

#128 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So basically, only people that aren't prone to getting sick can take the vaccine?

Not entirely. The only people who cannot be given the vaccine are those with extreme conditions (again, like certain allergies, disastrously weak immune systems, infants). The whole premise of getting as many people vaccinated is to produce that "herd immunity" that DOES protect the people who are most vulnerable. This is why nearly all healthcare workers receive it, and that's why it's important that as many people as possible are vaccinated (not just for the flu, but for as much as possible).

There are plenty of vulnerable/prone to illness people out there who are completely able to receive the vaccine as well, and it serves as a strong protection for them. If anything, those people are the ones who should be getting immunized first.

#221 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

They don't vaccinate for smallpox

They don't need to vaccinate for smallpox anymore because the disease was completely eradicated due to the widespread administration of the vaccine. Polio and measles are probably next up for complete eradication. Hopefully.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/holiday-sharing-the-flu?tu=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.