Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 289 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Taxman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

apk (resized).jpg
    20160813_195641 (resized).jpg
    BreakfastShits (resized).png
    birdflu (resized).PNG
    th (resized).jpg
    Medicinal,Man! (resized).jpeg
    science1 (resized).jpg
    bubbleboy1a (resized).jpg
    double_dip_1 (resized).jpg
    JM (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2464 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 7 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_vaccine

They are generally safe, unless you are allergic to eggs.

Obviously, effectiveness varies depending on what virus is going around and what virus the vaccine was intended to target.

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cybergoonie:

Uggh...Seriously? I generally don't interject my opinion but when I saw someone say get a flu shot I just reacted. I'm not a Doctor but am very well educated and well versed on physical health. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. My knowledge is based on fact. Injecting vaccines can actually lead to serious health problems including harmful immunological responses and altering and or mutation of cells and a host of other infections. This further increases the body’s susceptibility to the diseases that the vaccine was supposed to protect against.
    I'm 38 and haven't been sick or gone to a Doctor in 20 years. I speak from experience when I say Flu shots are absolutely dangerous and do nothing for your health. When I was 14 the school I attended told my parents I needed a flu shot or wouldn't be allowed to come to school. I was in perfect health at the time. 24 hours after I was given the strain (I mean vaccine) I had to be rushed to the hospital. I had experienced a seizure. I developed severe scoliosis in my lower spine, hepatitis C, and spinal meningitis. I missed an entire year of school and lost the majority of my basic motor skills which I regained through physical therapy. So yeah....I know my shit.
    Ever noticed how vaccinated children within days or few weeks develop runny noses, pneumonia, ear infections and bronchiolitis? The reason is the flu virus introduced in their bodies creates these symptoms. It also indicates immuno-suppression i.e. lowering of the immunity. The flu vaccines actually do not immunize but sensitize the body against the virus.
    The Flu vaccines contain mercury, a heavy metal known to be hazardous for human health. The amount of mercury contained in a multi-dose flu shot is much higher than the maximum allowable daily exposure limit. Mercury toxicity can cause memory loss, depression, ADD, oral health problems, digestive imbalances, respiratory problems, cardiovascular diseases and even different forms of cancers.
    There is mounting evidence that flu shots can cause Alzheimer's disease.  One report shows that people who received the flu vaccine each year for 3 to 5 years had a 10-fold greater chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease than people who did not have any flu shots.  Also with age the immune system weakens, thus lowering your ability to fight off infections. Introducing the flu virus in the bodies of elderly could have dangerous consequences.
    Can we trust the authorities who are promoting the wide-spread use of flu vaccines?
    For the other pinsider who thinks the CDC is your friend. The Center for Disease Control appoints a 15-member Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).  This committee is responsible for deciding who should be vaccinated each year.  Almost all the ACIP have a financial interest in immunizations. It’s all about the $$$$$$$$$ and has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your health and well being.  The very people pushing these vaccines stand to make billions of dollars. 
    Then when you get sick with a strain that may remain dormant in your body for days, weeks, or even years Doctors are paid bonuses by the pharmaceutical companies to push certain drugs for you to take.
    Flu shots are more dangerous than you think, and it is best to rely on natural ways to protect against the flu.
    Isn’t it interesting that the main stream public health officials never promote the various proven ways to avoid the flu other than through vaccination?  This won't happen but wouldn't it be nice for the CDC to spend some of the billions of advertising dollars teaching uneducated people natural ways to boost our immune systems and avoid the flu without harmful and deadly vaccinations?
    I hope this is received well. To those that aren't ready to unplug from the pile of crap society, the government, or CDC feeds you etc...then that's fine. They want you to be sheeple. They want you to fall in line.
    Anyway....Happy New Year & health to all. Now back to pinball.

Sorry to hear of your issues. However, that's correlation, not causation--those are often mixed up outside of proper scientific study.

Most of this is just nonsense and misinformation. It's the same paranoid alarmist and unsubstantiated musings anti-vaxxers like to proliferate on facebook and whatnot.

A good summary of facts in an easily digestible format:

http://deadstate.org/this-comic-strip-is-the-definitive-smackdown-to-anti-vaxxers-everywhere/

#115 7 years ago

People can have all sorts of bad reactions to things. Some people can die from exposure to peanut butter. But, there's medication available to help keep that under control.

There are lots of medications that can save lives and vastly improve the quality of life. They don't "make someone weak" by taking them. Insulin, penicillin, nitro, corticosteroids, chemo, heparin, tetracycline, thorazine, l-dopa--all life saving or life changing medications.

It's unfortunate, but any time you eat, drink, or take medication, there's always a risk in a small percentage of cases that it will affect someone adversely.

Going with the peanut butter example again, a few years back, some peanut butter was tainted with e. coli and ended up harming quite a number of people.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/19/us/peanut-butter-salmonella-trial/

However, that doesn't mean this is the norm or that all peanut butter is bad or harmful. Nor is every drug, medication, or vaccine. If you look back through history at the millions of people who died because of various diseases and conditions that we had no treatment for, and look at today where treatment is easily accessible, who can honestly say that modern medical science has not helped in some way?

In the meantime, you have some people insisting that medication is evil and will kill you even though that same medication has saved an insurmountable number of lives. Some people take this for granted. And to me, it's mind boggling.

#120 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I think someone missed the

Just being thorough for others reading along

#163 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Do you really think they care about your well being?

Healthy people generally work, pay taxes, and buy stuff. It's probably in everyone's best interest to keep a population healthy.

An unhealthy population is generally a drain on resources.

#167 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I'll be thinking of this as the current Congress tries to revamp Obamacare. I don't think a healthy population is first on the mind of those cost-cutting congresscritters

That is opening a whole can of worms that I'm not even going to touch in this discussion.

#172 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

OK, one more time. We weren't talking about the flu shot. We were referring to people (some in this thread) who don't get their children immunized! That's insane and putting someone else's life at risk. At the very minimum children who are not immunized should never be allowed to step foot in a public school (or amusement park).

Case in point, happening in Texas right now--Measles is making a comeback:

http://wate.com/2017/01/07/measles-making-comeback-as-parents-opt-out-of-vaccines/
    http://wkrn.com/2017/01/07/measles-making-comeback-as-parents-opt-out-of-vaccines/

Whooping Cough making a comeback in Washington, Ohio, and Kentucky:
    http://sanjuanislander.com/news-articles/23833/more-cases-of-pertussis-in-san-juan-county
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/12/28/county-ohio-sees-uptick-whooping-cough-cases/95912908/
    http://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/wellness/health/2016/12/12/whooping-cough-precautions-urged-louisville/95342014/

The Mumps in various states:
    http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2017/01/spike_in_mumps_cases_nationwid.html
    http://www.newschannel5.com/news/mumps-makes-comeback-in-us

#175 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Bullshit. It is my choice to take the shots or not or give them to my kids or not. If they work so damn well and you believe in them so much you get them and then you won't have to worry about getting whatever from anyone else. Are you worried that your immunizations wont work? you can't force people to take them.

A flu shot is hit or miss, so that I have no problem with being optional.

But vaccines that target specific diseases like measles, mumps, whooping cough, and polio? If you've ever had them or known anyone who has had them, they are pretty agonizing diseases. And as you can see from the articles I linked to, they are starting to return because it's "trendy" to not be immunized against them. That's just foolish.

Plus, it reduces the herd immunity. And this is life threatening for people with compromised immune systems who can't fight off these diseases on their own or cannot take the vaccines (cancer patients, transplant patients, HIV/AIDs patients, patients with auto-immune diseases, etc). They depend upon everyone around them to be immunized so the disease can't be carried and transmitted to them.

When suddenly you have a portion of the population not immunized and acting as carriers, those immune-comprimised patients then have no protection from those diseases.

#228 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Wtih over 7 billion people in the world that would be a smaller percent than those that took the vaccination and died from it.

The figure was for the US only, from what I understood.

#252 7 years ago

Here's one chilling example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/comments/5na3ry/please_please_please_god_vaccinate_your_kids/

In summary, a mother had an 8 month old, who was being watched by (unbeknownst to her) an anti-vaxxer family, who had a sick kid (also unbeknownst to her). The 8-month old got sick from that kid and died. This 8 month old was not yet scheduled to receive the MMR vaccination, so this baby ended up catching the measles from the anti-vaxxer's kid. If that kid was vaccinated properly, the kid would have never been a carrier for the disease in the first place. But instead, it spread to the baby who was unable to fight it off.

#257 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I would have never left my 8 month old baby with another family, sick or not. Those parents should have been crucified. However their loss was probably lesson enough.

I don't agree. I'm sure there are plenty of situations or reasons why someone would be unable to take a baby somewhere. Dentist appointment, doctor's appointment, funeral, or anywhere public where there is a lot of random people and the possibility of disease (the DMV perhaps?). Maybe the parent thought it was safer to leave the baby with a trusted someone at the time.

#258 7 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Your anecdote lacks even a morsel of self-responsibility. It also really stinks of FAKE NEWS!

Sure, anything posted on the internet is subject to a litmus test of validity, but it sounded genuine. Even if it isn't, it's a perfect example of a real possibility. A baby doesn't have its vaccinations yet, somehow comes into contact with someone carrying the disease--friend, family, coworker, or in any public setting--school, doctor's office, grocery store, friend's house, etc.

You can't expect someone with a baby to stay locked up in their own home 24/7 for the first few years of the baby's life.

The same goes for someone with a compromised immune system.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/holiday-sharing-the-flu?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.