Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 289 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Taxman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

apk (resized).jpg
    20160813_195641 (resized).jpg
    BreakfastShits (resized).png
    birdflu (resized).PNG
    th (resized).jpg
    Medicinal,Man! (resized).jpeg
    science1 (resized).jpg
    bubbleboy1a (resized).jpg
    double_dip_1 (resized).jpg
    JM (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2464 (resized).PNG

There are 289 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
    #251 7 years ago

I think someone did mention crop dusting a few posts up

#252 7 years ago

Here's one chilling example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/comments/5na3ry/please_please_please_god_vaccinate_your_kids/

In summary, a mother had an 8 month old, who was being watched by (unbeknownst to her) an anti-vaxxer family, who had a sick kid (also unbeknownst to her). The 8-month old got sick from that kid and died. This 8 month old was not yet scheduled to receive the MMR vaccination, so this baby ended up catching the measles from the anti-vaxxer's kid. If that kid was vaccinated properly, the kid would have never been a carrier for the disease in the first place. But instead, it spread to the baby who was unable to fight it off.

#253 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/comments/5na3ry/please_please_please_god_vaccinate_your_kids/
    In summary, a mother had an 8 month old, who was being watched by (unbeknownst to her) an anti-vaxxer family, who had a sick kid (also unbeknownst to her). The 8-month old got sick from that kid and died. This 8 month old was not yet scheduled to receive the MMR vaccination, so this baby ended up catching the measles from the anti-vaxxer's kid. If that kid was vaccinated properly, the kid would have never been a carrier for the disease in the first place. But instead, it spread to the baby who was unable to fight it off.

And those parents should be guilty of negligent homicide.

#254 7 years ago

No doubt. Parents should be watching their own kids.

#255 7 years ago

I would have never left my 8 month old baby with another family, sick or not. Those parents should have been crucified. However their loss was probably lesson enough.

#256 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Your anecdote lacks even a morsel of self-responsibility. It also really stinks of FAKE NEWS!

#257 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I would have never left my 8 month old baby with another family, sick or not. Those parents should have been crucified. However their loss was probably lesson enough.

I don't agree. I'm sure there are plenty of situations or reasons why someone would be unable to take a baby somewhere. Dentist appointment, doctor's appointment, funeral, or anywhere public where there is a lot of random people and the possibility of disease (the DMV perhaps?). Maybe the parent thought it was safer to leave the baby with a trusted someone at the time.

#258 7 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Your anecdote lacks even a morsel of self-responsibility. It also really stinks of FAKE NEWS!

Sure, anything posted on the internet is subject to a litmus test of validity, but it sounded genuine. Even if it isn't, it's a perfect example of a real possibility. A baby doesn't have its vaccinations yet, somehow comes into contact with someone carrying the disease--friend, family, coworker, or in any public setting--school, doctor's office, grocery store, friend's house, etc.

You can't expect someone with a baby to stay locked up in their own home 24/7 for the first few years of the baby's life.

The same goes for someone with a compromised immune system.

#259 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't agree. I'm sure there are plenty of situations or reasons why someone would be unable to take a baby somewhere.

While my child was young, we never left her in the hands of anybody else. Never. Not once. Even after her mother and I were separated. Having a child is a big responsibility, and if you are not prepared to take on that responsibility, it is probably best that you have no children.

#260 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

While my child was young, we never left her in the hands of anybody else. Never. Not once. Even after her mother and I were separated. Having a child is a big responsibility, and if you are not prepared to take on that responsibility, it is probably best that you have no children.

And that has essentially nothing to do with the vaccine question. They could have encountered this family at a restaurant/birthday party/anywhere and had a similar result. That's the point that has been made 100 times in this thread, the herd vaccine strategy. Blaming the parents is ludicrous.

There is a thing called an unexpected event or an "emergency" that is unavoidable. If you could imagine such an event, you could probably see where someone might have to find child care on short notice even for a young one. Nothing to do with not having the maturity to have kids, come on man. When we had just 1 little one, I was home w/kid, wife out of town on work trip. I got super violent food poisoning--I won't go in to that but I was suddenly, unexpectedly, down for the count. I had to get a friend to watch the kid for a few hours until I was able to get past the worst of it....shit happens.

#261 7 years ago

Had a flu shot back around 2007. They were giving them out at work for free.

Within a week I got sick with a sinusitis and bronchitis which lasted four months. Several doctor visits with multiple courses of antibiotics had no effect. The congestion lasted a full six months before totally going away.

That was my first and last flu shot, never again.

When discussing this with a coworker years later, he told me that an uncle received a flu shot and was dead of encephalitis three weeks later.

I think we should vaccinate against the major diseases that were conquered long ago, polio, measles, etc.
    I was born in 1968 and whatever was done back then is good enough. It seems the reactions to vaccinations are more prevalent today, whether the phenomenon is real or not.

#262 7 years ago
    Quoted from mamawaldee:

Had a flu shot back around 2007. They were giving them out at work for free.
    Within a week I got sick with a sinusitis and bronchitis which lasted four months.

Well there you have it, scientific proof.

#263 7 years ago
    Quoted from mamawaldee:

I was born in 1968 and whatever was done back then is good enough

That story is a bummer but the exception does not make the norm and your problems likely had zero to do with the flu shot. The "when I was a kid" argument feels right but that's just a feeling.

#264 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

They could have encountered this family at a restaurant/birthday party/anywhere and had a similar result. That's the point that has been made 100 times in this thread, the herd vaccine strategy

A child has 1000s time more chance dying being hit by a car or in a car accident, yet I see no movement to get all the cars off the road or prevent children from riding in them.

The world is a dangerous place and it is up to the parents to do what they think is best for their children, not what science or the government tells them they should.

#265 7 years ago
    Quoted from mamawaldee:

I think we should vaccinate against the major diseases that were conquered long ago, polio, measles, etc.

When I was a kid I got vaccinated for polio only. There wasn't even one for measles.

#266 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

A child has 1000s time more chance dying being hit by a car or in a car accident, yet I see no movement to get all the cars off the road or prevent children from riding in them.

The car that hits the kid doesn't keep on hitting kids and spread the "hit by car" disease...this is false equivalence. These folksy examples all sound great and logical, but when you break them down they mean nothing.

#267 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

The car that hits the kid doesn't keep on hitting kids and spread the "hit by car" disease...this is false equivalence.

No, but there are more kids killed by cars so maybe eliminating cars should become more of a priority, don't you think?

#268 7 years ago

and people get stabbed but we don't regulate knives....planes crash but we still fly...people drown but we still swim...all these things are great but they aren't preventable, potentially deadly to some (through no fault of their own), communicable diseases. The comparisons are non sequitur. They don't follow. Apples oranges etc

Things "feel" wrong if they weren't the way you were raised back in the day, that's human nature. Times change, science advances, the world changes...

#269 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No, but there are more kids killed by cars so maybe eliminating cars should become more of a priority, don't you think?

cars aren't contagious

#270 7 years ago

Actually, many laws about children in cars and car seats have been passed to help.

Just saying.

#271 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

cars aren't contagious

So what! They are killers just the same, and one of the #1 killers of children. Once those get eradicated, then preach to me about something much less lethal.

#272 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

#1 killers of children.

and there are laws that deal with it...that means they should make laws to enforce vaccinations? Not sure if I agree with you there, but I'll think about it.

#273 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So what! They are killers just the same, and one of the #1 killers of children.

Only because we "got rid" of the diseases killing them before the car came around

#274 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Only because we "got rid" of the diseases killing them before the car came around

That's right. And if another flu like 1918 hits again, science will be too late to do squat.

#275 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That's right. And if another flu like 1918 hits again, science will be too late to do squat.

But we'll be moving our kids around the world in cars, protected from the filthy diseased streets where they caught the germs back then.
    And that's why we don't outlaw cars.

apk (resized).jpgapk (resized).jpg

#276 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

They'd get a vaccine for it in 4-6 months and the losses would be much less in the interim due to the current state of public health agencies. They have plans and guidelines to deal with a pandemic that had to be thought up on the fly back in 1918.

#277 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

They'd get a vaccine for it in 4-6 months and the losses would be much less in the interim due to the current state of public health agencies. They have plans and guidelines to deal with a pandemic that had to be thought up on the fly back in 1918.

You don't get it do you?

When the next flu like that hits, it will probably be of science's own doing that starts it.

#278 7 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

It also really stinks of FAKE NEWS!

Kind of like how Dr. Sherri Tenpenny stinks of quakery......

#279 7 years ago

On another note wickerman, if that guy that's supposed to pick up Beat The Clock gets the flu and is too sick to pick it up, I'll send STI to get it.

#280 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When the next flu like that hits, it will probably be of science's own doing that starts it.

too much SyFy channel!

#281 7 years ago

me like em Andromeda Strain.

#282 7 years ago

I'm starting to catch something reading all this i think the Russians have hacked into my immune system

#283 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

On another note wickerman, if that guy that's supposed to pick up Beat The Clock gets the flu and is too sick to pick it up, I'll send STI to get it.

Just confirmed...your best hope is a snowstorm at this point I think

#284 7 years ago

Darn! Looks like I stayed well all winter for nuthin'.

#285 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Darn! Looks like I stayed well all winter for nuthin'.

Did they find a vaccine for cirrhosis of the liver

#286 7 years ago

I check my eyes in the mirror every morning when I get up. As long as they are bloodshot red and not yellow, I know my liver's hanging tough.

#287 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Quoted from o-din:

me like em Andromeda Strain.

Just as long as you don't think that in the movie the strain was concocted and accidentally (or purposely) spread by scientists.

But apparently you also don't want a scientist prone to seizures working on a serious viral threat!

#288 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Just as long as you don't think that in the movie the strain was concocted and accidentally (or purposely) spread by scientists.

No, Andromeda was an alien strain. Lesson learned from that story was drink Sterno or die.

#289 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No, Andromeda was an alien strain. Lesson learned from that story was drink Sterno or die.

Or cry a lot. This is Pinside so most here are safe

There are 289 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/holiday-sharing-the-flu/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.