Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 289 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Taxman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

apk (resized).jpg
    20160813_195641 (resized).jpg
    BreakfastShits (resized).png
    birdflu (resized).PNG
    th (resized).jpg
    Medicinal,Man! (resized).jpeg
    science1 (resized).jpg
    bubbleboy1a (resized).jpg
    double_dip_1 (resized).jpg
    JM (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2464 (resized).PNG

There are 289 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Back in 1984 was like a dark ages of virus testing and diagnosis.

Great idea for the next pinball theme!

#152 7 years ago

The way I see it, a lot of pinsiders must be getting some kind of injection to want the pinball machines they are coming out with lately.

#153 7 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Anyone else down sick with the flu after enjoying some quality time with family & friends over the Holidays?
    With all the alcohol consumed I find it hard to believe germs survived but I am down for the count today. Just wondering if I am alone or if others have also had someone they love share the flu with their family.
    This really sucks! But we did have a great time over the weekend so I guess in the end it is worth it!

I've never had the flu, lucky I guess. I can't even remember the last time I was sick with anything. I hope your feeling better now.

#154 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

WTF? I was talking about not having you're kids vaccinated! Mind-boggling.

conflating everything...nonsense. Obviously we are in great danger from vaccines and should stop all of them...let's see how the avg lifespan does then. These guys are hilarious.

#155 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

But if you think it is as prevalent as in the past you are going conspiracy level.

this is all conspiracy level! The mods should ban debates on science like they do politics. It's like going against a brick wall and the bricks are made of crazy, anecdotal, anti-science horseshit.

I'm getting one of my burrito headaches

#156 7 years ago

Humans make mistakes. Humans are making it, advertising it, packaging it, labeling it, delivering it, stocking it, storing it, paying for it, and injecting it. Nope, no room for error there.

#157 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I hope your feeling better

We should just go with that.

#158 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Humans make mistakes. Humans are making it, advertising it, packaging it, labeling it, delivering it, stocking it, storing it, paying for it, and injecting it. Nope, no room for error there.

BreakfastShits (resized).pngBreakfastShits (resized).png

#159 7 years ago

Wow. The point I was making is that the gov and the corporations don't give a fuck about you. They never have and never will. You are just an avenue for money and power to them. You can find examples of this throughout modern history. Nothing is as it seems on the surface. Do you really think they care about your well being? Shit, ask a Native American how you should trust the government or large corporations I.E. the railroads. If it comes down to life or death such as something like Polio or Smallpox for example I'll step up, otherwise I'll take my chances and that goes for every other aspect of government and large corporations. To them I am a rat in a maze. And don't give me the bullshit about science. They scew their data to show what they want to show. That is not real science.

#160 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

If it comes down to life or death such as something like Polio or Smallpox for example I'll step up, otherwise I'll take my chances

the chance you are taking is with other people's health and lives, that's the point that has been made 10 times already.

#161 7 years ago

You get the vaccine if you are worried about getting sick.

#162 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I've never had the flu, lucky I guess. I can't even remember the last time I was sick with anything. I hope your feeling better now.

Day 6 of being down for the count for me but today I actually feel like I might be able to keep a meal down if I eat one. FYI - I did get a flu shot this year and that is something I typically do not do so this must have been something not covered by that shot or what ever.

Today seems like the first day i can actually say I feel like this might not kill me! I guess I'll never know where it came from or what it actually was but one thing 100% for sure is I never remember being this sick before. Not only how bad I felt but also down and out for so long.

Hopefully by Monday I'll be able to get back underway with life & my plans for 2017!

#163 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Do you really think they care about your well being?

Healthy people generally work, pay taxes, and buy stuff. It's probably in everyone's best interest to keep a population healthy.

An unhealthy population is generally a drain on resources.

#164 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Wow. The point I was making is that the gov and the corporations don't give a fuck about you. They never have and never will. You are just an avenue for money and power to them.

This is sadly true to a large degree. They care about you enough to stay elected and stay in business, but not much beyond that. Just look at the typical "service" one receives from large corporations and the government. Smaller businesses are usually much better, but flu shots don't come from small businesses.

I don't think there's any deliberate malfeasance occurring with flu shot production, but I also don't trust them to get it right, every time.. low costs and production pressures lead to mistakes, and I don't need the shot enough to take the risk.

#165 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Healthy people generally work, pay taxes, and buy stuff. It's probably in everyone's best interest to keep a population healthy.
    An unhealthy population is generally a drain on resources.

I'll be thinking of this as the current Congress tries to revamp Obamacare. I don't think a healthy population is first on the mind of those cost-cutting congresscritters

#166 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

the chance you are taking is with other people's health and lives, that's the point that has been made 10 times already.

No guilt trip here. Flu is far too common to blame "everyone else" for the less than 1% who succumb to it. People with very weak immune systems take chances when they go out in public during FLU SEASON. I will not take a shot that has a good chance of making me sick, but if I do catch the flu, I will stay home until it's gone to prevent transmission. If that's not good enough for you, tough. The flu shot is NOT MANDATORY for good reasons.

Day 6 of being down for the count for me but today I actually feel like I might be able to keep a meal down if I eat one. FYI - I did get a flu shot this year and that is something I typically do not do so this must have been something not covered by that shot or what ever.

Looks like the shot is super-effective this year... sign me up!

#167 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I'll be thinking of this as the current Congress tries to revamp Obamacare. I don't think a healthy population is first on the mind of those cost-cutting congresscritters

That is opening a whole can of worms that I'm not even going to touch in this discussion.

#168 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That is opening a whole can of worms that I'm not even going to touch in this discussion.

Yep. I'm leaving it at that, and will be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong

#169 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

No guilt trip here. Flu is far too common to blame "everyone else" for the less than 1% who succumb to it. People with very weak immune systems take chances when they go out in public during FLU SEASON. I will not take a shot that has a good chance of making me sick, but if I do catch the flu, I will stay home until it's gone to prevent transmission. If that's not good enough for you, tough. The flu shot is NOT MANDATORY for good reasons.

OK, one more time. We weren't talking about the flu shot. We were referring to people (some in this thread) who don't get their children immunized! That's insane and putting someone else's life at risk. At the very minimum children who are not immunized should never be allowed to step foot in a public school (or amusement park).

#170 7 years ago

Today seems like the first day i can actually say I feel like this might not kill me!

Glad you are getting thru this. It's been a long time for me, but I remember how it felt. Hope you get done with it soon.

FYI - I did get a flu shot this year and that is something I typically do not do so this must have been something not covered by that shot or what ever.

Hopefully the shot isn't what caused your illness in the first place. I know one of those shots made my mother deathly ill. Too bad it isn't the miracle fix some would think it is.

#171 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I know one of those shots made my mother deathly ill. Too bad it isn't the miracle fix some would think it is.

Some have reactions like in your case others never do. Been flu free for many years so I'm good getting the shot. Started getting the shot after I was sick for 3 plus weeks straight back in the eighties.

#172 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

OK, one more time. We weren't talking about the flu shot. We were referring to people (some in this thread) who don't get their children immunized! That's insane and putting someone else's life at risk. At the very minimum children who are not immunized should never be allowed to step foot in a public school (or amusement park).

Case in point, happening in Texas right now--Measles is making a comeback:

http://wate.com/2017/01/07/measles-making-comeback-as-parents-opt-out-of-vaccines/
    http://wkrn.com/2017/01/07/measles-making-comeback-as-parents-opt-out-of-vaccines/

Whooping Cough making a comeback in Washington, Ohio, and Kentucky:
    http://sanjuanislander.com/news-articles/23833/more-cases-of-pertussis-in-san-juan-county
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/12/28/county-ohio-sees-uptick-whooping-cough-cases/95912908/
    http://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/wellness/health/2016/12/12/whooping-cough-precautions-urged-louisville/95342014/

The Mumps in various states:
    http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2017/01/spike_in_mumps_cases_nationwid.html
    http://www.newschannel5.com/news/mumps-makes-comeback-in-us

#173 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Bullshit. It is my choice to take the shots or not or give them to my kids or not. If they work so damn well and you believe in them so much you get them and then you won't have to worry about getting whatever from anyone else. Are you worried that your immunizations wont work? you can't force people to take them.

#174 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Bullshit. It is my choice to take the shots or not or give them to my kids or not. If they work so damn well and you believe in them so much you get them and then you won't have to worry about getting whatever from anyone else. Are you worried that your immunizations wont work? you can't force people to take them.

I actually care about the general welfare of the population (and my family's).

#175 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

A flu shot is hit or miss, so that I have no problem with being optional.

But vaccines that target specific diseases like measles, mumps, whooping cough, and polio? If you've ever had them or known anyone who has had them, they are pretty agonizing diseases. And as you can see from the articles I linked to, they are starting to return because it's "trendy" to not be immunized against them. That's just foolish.

Plus, it reduces the herd immunity. And this is life threatening for people with compromised immune systems who can't fight off these diseases on their own or cannot take the vaccines (cancer patients, transplant patients, HIV/AIDs patients, patients with auto-immune diseases, etc). They depend upon everyone around them to be immunized so the disease can't be carried and transmitted to them.

When suddenly you have a portion of the population not immunized and acting as carriers, those immune-comprimised patients then have no protection from those diseases.

#176 7 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

Some have reactions like in your case others never do.

I never get the reaction because I don't take the shot. Sounds logical captain?

#177 7 years ago

The science and logic and facts behind vaccines have been explained thoroughly here. Some people have an almost religious ideology about these things so it's not surprising that a rational point is missed. Your facts are wrong. You are entitled to your beliefs, but not your facts. People don't like being told they are dead wrong on something.

#178 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I never get the reaction because I don't take the shot. Sounds logical captain?

Of course, I was just saying it works great for some people. My neighbor feels the same as you and every year without a shot they get sick as a dog.

#179 7 years ago

Typically I am the same way. This year was my first ever flu shot and as luck would have it also my first time getting the flu in about 20 years. ....

No coincidence. The flu shot is dual-purpose poison. If you get away without the shot itself making you sick, it leaves behind a nice eugenics payload that will kill you early. I know it sounds crazy, but we all are living under a eugenics program.

#180 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I live in the world of facts and believe in and have a degree in science.

Well then certainly you have read the actual drug inserts that plainly state that the shots can cause: flu, Guillain-Barré Syndrome, paralysis and even death.

Quoted from Astropin:

Right, correlation does not = causation. At least not without vigorous testing and tight controls in place.

Is that why they never do double-blind clinical trials on any vaccines?

#181 7 years ago

This is as bad as discussing religion or politics. I know it won't matter to the conspiracy people. But I'll go -

No, a flu shot cannot cause flu illness. Flu vaccines given with a needle are currently made in two ways: the vaccine is made either with a) flu vaccine viruses that have been 'inactivated' and are therefore not infectious, or b) with no flu vaccine viruses at all (which is the case for recombinant influenza vaccine). The most common side effects from the influenza shot are soreness, redness, tenderness or swelling where the shot was given. Low-grade fever, headache and muscle aches also may occur.

In randomized, blinded studies, where some people get inactivated flu shots and others get salt-water shots, the only differences in symptoms was increased soreness in the arm and redness at the injection site among people who got the flu shot. There were no differences in terms of body aches, fever, cough, runny nose or sore throat.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/misconceptions.htm

Quoted from SadSack:

Well then certainly you have read the actual drug inserts that plainly state that the shots can cause: flu, Guillain-Barré Syndrome, paralysis and even death.

So False and False. And I have read the drug insert. But just keep on replacing reality with your own "facts".

#182 7 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

No, that's because in certain circumstances it's unethical to do that type of study. That's another red herring argument.

#183 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Actually in my area they are free. Probably subsidized, yes, but not some huge money machine.

Why? What is on your list? Yes pot is stronger and the hops used for beer has been refined also. But the human race has experienced massive death and harm from disease such as bubonic plague, small pox, polio and yes flu. We take for granted the fear generations used to face from these sicknesses that we now have vaccines to limit.

And all these diseases demonstrate a massive reduction with improved hygiene and sanitation. Dr. Sherry Tenpenny ( http://drtenpenny.com/ ) has thoroughly debunked the vaccine conspiracy in my mind.

#184 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Got sick a week before xmas and just now it's finally almost all gone .. seems like a nasty one going around this year

Same here. I was sick whole Xmas/New Years season. Had to remove myself from both family get togethers. Still fighting a sinus infection and cough I just can't get rid of. Third medication. Crazy thing going around this year.

#185 7 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

More red herrings. As for GBS, you are more likely to get that after having the flu than after getting the actual vaccine for the flu.

As I said earlier, believe what you want. Vaccines save lives. Facts....actual studies...science, proves that. Stories about grandma or your secret elixir to prevent colds and just stories.

#186 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

.. So False and False. And I have read the drug insert. But just keep on replacing reality with your own "facts".

Clearly you haven't or you would not deny reality. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM305079.pdf

And don't get me started on the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Fund: https://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/

#187 7 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

And all these diseases demonstrate a massive reduction with improved hygiene and sanitation. Dr. Sherry Tenpenny ( http://drtenpenny.com/ ) has thoroughly debunked the vaccine conspiracy in my mind.

Look up - Encyclopedia of American Loons (she has an entry).

#188 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

So then you are surely for non-porous borders and mandatory jabs for immigrants? If the shots are so great, you whiners shouldn't be so worried. Keep your kid in a bubble if you are afraid of unvaccinated hordes.

#189 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Look up - Encyclopedia of American Loons (she has an entry).

I would suggest that anyone who is negatively impacting a $100 billion dollar industry would also find themselves on this list.

#190 7 years ago

And Dr. Sherri TenPenny doesn't know what the F she's talking about. She wouldn't know a fact if it was stapled to a 2x4 and slapped her in the face......clearly. Talk about an argument from authority, that would be example A.

#192 7 years ago

Wow.....we really are living in the land of Woo!

#193 7 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Clearly you haven't or you would not deny reality. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM305079.pdf
    And don't get me started on the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Fund: https://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/

OK. Just read through it but I must have missed where it says it can cause flu. You said -

Quoted from SadSack:

...plainly state that the shots can cause: flu, ...

And the pamphlet you linked to does say the conducted double-blind clinical trials when you previously said -

Quoted from SadSack:

...they never do double-blind clinical trials ...

So don't you read you own information?

I'm out. This is stupid. You can't change the mind of a zealot. Dr Tenpenny goes on the Dr. Oz show so it must be true.

#194 7 years ago

The gubermint never makes mistakes.. and they are always honest when it comes to protecting people from corporate donors.

#195 7 years ago

now you are just being a troll.

#196 7 years ago

Wow I'm no doctor or vetinarian but there's a bunch of these on here

20160813_195641 (resized).jpg20160813_195641 (resized).jpg

#197 7 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

And one of the side effects of not getting a flu shot is death by flu.

#198 7 years ago

Old school advice for those of you who love to play "on location" pinball (and don't feel like getting sick). WASH YOUR HANDS RIGHT BEFORE YOU EAT. We have no control over what's on flipper buttons, touch screens, interac terminals or door handles (snot, sweat, urine, dirt, viruses, bacteria, fungi, etc...) but you can still have some control over what gets into your body by washing your hands (with regular soap) right before you eat. My apologies to the OCD folks in the crowd, please try really hard not to think about what's on those flipper buttons!

There are 289 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/holiday-sharing-the-flu/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.