Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 289 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Taxman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

apk (resized).jpg
    20160813_195641 (resized).jpg
    BreakfastShits (resized).png
    birdflu (resized).PNG
    th (resized).jpg
    Medicinal,Man! (resized).jpeg
    science1 (resized).jpg
    bubbleboy1a (resized).jpg
    double_dip_1 (resized).jpg
    JM (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2464 (resized).PNG
    There are 289 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 7 years ago

I'd never let them stick them dirty dead virus needles in me.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'd never let them stick them dirty dead virus needles in me.

I haven't had a flu shot since I was in the Army.
    I had no choice then.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

And you are qualified to say this how?

I live in the world of facts and believe in and have a degree in science.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

I had no choice then.

Here are the basics: Thousands of people, typically the elderly and kids, die every year from the flu(just the regular old normal flu). This number would be even higher without the vaccines. As it is, maybe only half of people get the vaccines. You are healthy, why bother, right? Wrong. You can carry the flu and not be sick and thus be contagious to others. This is especially dangerous if you spread it to the at risk of dying population. This is why healthcare workers are required to get flu shots.

This is the fundamental thing about healthcare that lots of people don't get. This applies to all illness. We are all in this together. Denying someone good, sound, science based healthcare comes back to bite us in the end. You can't live in a bubble.

bubbleboy1a (resized).jpgbubbleboy1a (resized).jpg

#55 7 years ago

science1 (resized).jpgscience1 (resized).jpg

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

I don't get them either, especially after all of those people died several years ago from a tainted lab creating vaccines.

And how many people die by *not* getting the vaccine?

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

And you are qualified to say this how?

Let's first hear Cybergoonie 's medical and scientific qualifications.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

And how many people die by *not* getting the vaccine?

Right.

Past few years avg is around 25000 in U.S., 250000-300000 worldwide...though some of those might have had the vaccine as well, it's not 100%

#59 7 years ago

This is interesting. I just figured I was somewhat allergic to the trees themselves, but this year's tree didn't really bother me.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Here are the basics: Thousands of people, typically the elderly and kids, die every year from the flu(just the regular old normal flu).

Had a relative die from the flu. Young teenager who appeared healthy otherwise. I'd just about guarantee that kid never had a flu shot. Pretty sad situation. Another relative took the kid to the ER, but she wasn't seen as they left because the wait was long and the kid supposedly started feeling better. When the kid got worse again the parents didn't take her to the ER or even call an ambulance. Moral of the story, get an f'n flu shot.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cybergoonie:

Hate to get preachy but flu shots are by far one of the worst things you can do for your body's overall physical & mental health. Many diseases & cancer causing micro bacteria you are injecting yourself with can & will remain dormant for years. Flu shots are manufactured by private corporations that care nothing for your health. Don't drink the government koolaide. They're not your friend. Do some research. Soapbox over...play pinball.

Not true. Please reference the information. Even better, please reference peer reviewed information.

Actual information about flu vaccines below

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2016-2017.htm

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cybergoonie:

Hate to get preachy but flu shots are by far one of the worst things you can do for your body's overall physical & mental health. Many diseases & cancer causing micro bacteria you are injecting yourself with can & will remain dormant for years. Flu shots are manufactured by private corporations that care nothing for your health. Don't drink the government koolaide. They're not your friend. Do some research. Soapbox over...play pinball.

Not trying to start a stupid debate, but let me guess, you think vaccines cause autism too?

I doubt so many places and multi-million/billion dollar business (CVS, etc.) would offer it without looking into it first.

#63 7 years ago

When it comes to those that practice medicine, unless it is a dyer emergency, I prefer to not have them practice on me.

I believe better safe than sorry.

http://www.yeoldejournalist.com/vaccine-horror-stories-they-dont-want-you-to-know/

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When it comes to those that practice medicine, unless it is a dyer emergency, I prefer to not have them practice on me.

Reminds me of when the polio vaccine first came out. My father kept insisting that us kids get the shot. He wouldn't let go. Until my mother told him that he'd go first, and if nothing bad happened, then us kids would get the shot.

Us kids got it a year or so later after they figured out how to successfully kill the virus and not infect people.

LTG : )

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

http://www.yeoldejournalist.com/vaccine-horror-stories-they-dont-want-you-to-know/

I am talking primarily about baby vaccines that protect against serious decisions. There are 0 studies or evidence that has ever surfaced legitimately that points that they cause autism or anything like that. Instead, the people who don't vaccinate are the ones putting their kids, and others' kids, in great danger. If Polio is eradicated in the US and one kid brings it back again from a trip overseas...

Oh boy, I think I've been on Pinside too much. Never thought I'd see the day when I am the derailee. I'm just gonna blame the other guy from before.

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I am talking primarily about baby vaccines that protect against serious decisions

Gotta immortalize that autocorrect...

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Reminds me of when the polio vaccine first came out.

No body wants to get polio or any of those diseases from the early 20th century that they successfully nearly wiped out by creating vaccines. I myself stood in line at school as they did the dip and stick one kid after another. I'm not sure we didn't all get the same needle.

But if I ever get it again, I think I can handle a bout with the flu and just fight it off naturally. No more needles for me.

#68 7 years ago

I was down for the count on Christmas Eve. Had family over, wife made our traditional prime rib dinner, and all I could do was listen to the fun everyone was having while I was in bed with the flu.

A couple days later, my youngest daughter got it. A couple days after that, my oldest daughter got it. Well, a variation of something anyway, because the symptoms were actually quite different.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

This makes sense..at least in my case. My son and I got our annual flu shot in October and have been sick for nearly 2 mos. I'm on my 2nd round of antibiotics and feeling great now but hoping to finally knock it out of the system. I Can't get updated flu shots or vaccines for my kid until we're 100%. This has been a nasty sick season.

My wife works in healthcare, and the hospital that she works for requires that they all get the flu shot every season.

She has got sick about half the times that she received the flu shot. If she had a choice, she would not get it.

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No body wants to get polio or any of those diseases from the early 20th century that they successfully nearly wiped out by creating vaccines. I myself stood in line at school as they did the dip and stick one kid after another. I'm not sure we didn't all get the same needle.

That's OK, the CDC hadn't invented AIDS in order to scare the population into getting flu shots back then.

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The internet does not make Doctor Science dude's blog equal to peer review scientific research. Modern anti vax propaganda appeals to raw emotion with mis-information aimed and a willing and receptive audience.

Best summary I can find, for those who aren't professionals.

http://www.upworthy.com/16-years-ago-a-doctor-published-a-study-it-was-completely-made-up-and-it-made-us-all-sicker

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from no-extra-balls:

The flu shot is the government injecting us with micro GPS trackers. NEVER get a flu shot.

Not our government. The commies!

#72 7 years ago

I figure you can either live like a lab rat or guinea pig and let them give you all the shots in the world and hopefully you won't see it on that bad drug ad a few years later.

Or you can take the necessary steps to stay healthy and become immune to those illnesses before somebody blows a big old juicy sneeze in your face.

#73 7 years ago

I was at a cardiologists office today and witnessed an elderly woman walk in, approach the receptionist, and proceeded to cough up a lung directly at her. Damn...

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Or you can take the necessary steps to stay healthy and become immune to those illnesses

Medicinal,Man! (resized).jpegMedicinal,Man! (resized).jpeg

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

you can take the necessary steps to stay healthy and become immune to those illnesses before somebody blows a big old juicy sneeze in your face.

bottle that formula and you'll be a billionaire...

Immunotherapy exists and is a real thing for allergies and the like, I'm not sure I've heard anything other than an anecdote or wives tale about making yourself immune to diseases like the flu or bad colds otherwise.

There are a few vaccines for deadly childhood illnesses and then a vaccine for flu. It's not like they are going X-files on you all the time!

Can't believe it's 2017 and we're still on the fence about science. NOTE: I'm not talking about trusting drug companies that make up drugs to make money (US and NZ are the only countries that allow TV commercials for that crap). I'm talking government health research into vaccines to keep the public at a basic, not dying level.

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Can't believe it's 2017 and we're still on the fence about science.

It's disheartening, isn't it? I've got a degree in environmental science, my fiancé in bio, my very close friend is an engineer, and another close friend is in grad school for physics. We're basically the Big Bang Theory when we all get together. I feel like whenever I hear someone deny science/research/medicine, I'm taken back because so many of my peers wouldn't think to really question it. I've tried to entertain other arguments, but... I can't.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

the CDC hadn't invented AIDS in order to scare the population into getting flu shots back then.

Another science experiment gone wrong?

http://www.originofaids.com/articles/early.htm

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Was this guy at your party?

Thank you - funny!!

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

uggh...this is by far one of the worst bits of advice uttered on pinside.

Uggh...Seriously? I generally don't interject my opinion but when I saw someone say get a flu shot I just reacted. I'm not a Doctor but am very well educated and well versed on physical health. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. My knowledge is based on fact. Injecting vaccines can actually lead to serious health problems including harmful immunological responses and altering and or mutation of cells and a host of other infections. This further increases the body’s susceptibility to the diseases that the vaccine was supposed to protect against.

I'm 38 and haven't been sick or gone to a Doctor in 20 years. I speak from experience when I say Flu shots are absolutely dangerous and do nothing for your health. When I was 14 the school I attended told my parents I needed a flu shot or wouldn't be allowed to come to school. I was in perfect health at the time. 24 hours after I was given the strain (I mean vaccine) I had to be rushed to the hospital. I had experienced a seizure. I developed severe scoliosis in my lower spine, hepatitis C, and spinal meningitis. I missed an entire year of school and lost the majority of my basic motor skills which I regained through physical therapy. So yeah....I know my shit.

Ever noticed how vaccinated children within days or few weeks develop runny noses, pneumonia, ear infections and bronchiolitis? The reason is the flu virus introduced in their bodies creates these symptoms. It also indicates immuno-suppression i.e. lowering of the immunity. The flu vaccines actually do not immunize but sensitize the body against the virus.

The Flu vaccines contain mercury, a heavy metal known to be hazardous for human health. The amount of mercury contained in a multi-dose flu shot is much higher than the maximum allowable daily exposure limit. Mercury toxicity can cause memory loss, depression, ADD, oral health problems, digestive imbalances, respiratory problems, cardiovascular diseases and even different forms of cancers.

There is mounting evidence that flu shots can cause Alzheimer's disease.  One report shows that people who received the flu vaccine each year for 3 to 5 years had a 10-fold greater chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease than people who did not have any flu shots.  Also with age the immune system weakens, thus lowering your ability to fight off infections. Introducing the flu virus in the bodies of elderly could have dangerous consequences.

Can we trust the authorities who are promoting the wide-spread use of flu vaccines?

For the other pinsider who thinks the CDC is your friend. The Center for Disease Control appoints a 15-member Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).  This committee is responsible for deciding who should be vaccinated each year.  Almost all the ACIP have a financial interest in immunizations. It’s all about the $$$$$$$$$ and has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your health and well being.  The very people pushing these vaccines stand to make billions of dollars. 

Then when you get sick with a strain that may remain dormant in your body for days, weeks, or even years Doctors are paid bonuses by the pharmaceutical companies to push certain drugs for you to take.

Flu shots are more dangerous than you think, and it is best to rely on natural ways to protect against the flu.

Isn’t it interesting that the main stream public health officials never promote the various proven ways to avoid the flu other than through vaccination?  This won't happen but wouldn't it be nice for the CDC to spend some of the billions of advertising dollars teaching uneducated people natural ways to boost our immune systems and avoid the flu without harmful and deadly vaccinations?

I hope this is received well. To those that aren't ready to unplug from the pile of crap society, the government, or CDC feeds you etc...then that's fine. They want you to be sheeple. They want you to fall in line.

Anyway....Happy New Year & health to all. Now back to pinball.

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Get back to finding Bigfoot, the world awaits your scientific discoveries.

Found him years ago in a whitewater pinball machine. Or was that a yeti?

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cybergoonie:

I'm 38 and haven't been sick or gone to a Doctor in 20 years.

that's great and I'm sorry you had some health issues in the past but that is the definition of anecdotal evidence. You CAN research and find "something" to support almost any idea on the internet. There are people that actually claim climate change is a hoax and site evidence. Like the climate, the vast majority of medical and scientific data shows that vaccines work. Even more mild side effects from a flu vaccine are extremely rare, 1 in a million, so the adverse effects you speak of, if they happen at all would be far more rare than even that.

Remember: YOU can carry the flu and not be sick and you are still contagious. There are people that DIE from the flu. You are being irresponsible at best but it's still a free country...we'll see how long that lasts but for now, you can do what you want.

#82 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cybergoonie:

Ever noticed how vaccinated children within days or few weeks develop runny noses, pneumonia, ear infections and bronchiolitis? The reason is the flu virus introduced in their bodies creates these symptoms. It also indicates immuno-suppression i.e. lowering of the immunity.

this is 100% factually wrong.

Immuno-suppression!!?!?!? It creates antibodies that fight the disease if you come in contact with it. That's the exact opposite. The mild symptoms(a runny nose, yes, pneumonia???, NO) show the body is making the antibodies to fight the imitation infection that a vaccine delivers.

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

We're basically the Big Bang Theory when we all get together

Do you hear canned laughter after every other word you say ?

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cybergoonie:

Uggh...Seriously? I generally don't interject my opinion but when I saw someone say get a flu shot I just reacted. I'm not a Doctor but am very well educated and well versed on physical health. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. My knowledge is based on fact. Injecting vaccines can actually lead to serious health problems including harmful immunological responses and altering and or mutation of cells and a host of other infections. This further increases the body’s susceptibility to the diseases that the vaccine was supposed to protect against.
    I'm 38 and haven't been sick or gone to a Doctor in 20 years. I speak from experience when I say Flu shots are absolutely dangerous and do nothing for your health. When I was 14 the school I attended told my parents I needed a flu shot or wouldn't be allowed to come to school. I was in perfect health at the time. 24 hours after I was given the strain (I mean vaccine) I had to be rushed to the hospital. I had experienced a seizure. I developed severe scoliosis in my lower spine, hepatitis C, and spinal meningitis. I missed an entire year of school and lost the majority of my basic motor skills which I regained through physical therapy. So yeah....I know my shit.
    Ever noticed how vaccinated children within days or few weeks develop runny noses, pneumonia, ear infections and bronchiolitis? The reason is the flu virus introduced in their bodies creates these symptoms. It also indicates immuno-suppression i.e. lowering of the immunity. The flu vaccines actually do not immunize but sensitize the body against the virus.
    The Flu vaccines contain mercury, a heavy metal known to be hazardous for human health. The amount of mercury contained in a multi-dose flu shot is much higher than the maximum allowable daily exposure limit. Mercury toxicity can cause memory loss, depression, ADD, oral health problems, digestive imbalances, respiratory problems, cardiovascular diseases and even different forms of cancers.
    There is mounting evidence that flu shots can cause Alzheimer's disease.  One report shows that people who received the flu vaccine each year for 3 to 5 years had a 10-fold greater chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease than people who did not have any flu shots.  Also with age the immune system weakens, thus lowering your ability to fight off infections. Introducing the flu virus in the bodies of elderly could have dangerous consequences.
    Can we trust the authorities who are promoting the wide-spread use of flu vaccines?
    For the other pinsider who thinks the CDC is your friend. The Center for Disease Control appoints a 15-member Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).  This committee is responsible for deciding who should be vaccinated each year.  Almost all the ACIP have a financial interest in immunizations. It’s all about the $$$$$$$$$ and has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your health and well being.  The very people pushing these vaccines stand to make billions of dollars. 
    Then when you get sick with a strain that may remain dormant in your body for days, weeks, or even years Doctors are paid bonuses by the pharmaceutical companies to push certain drugs for you to take.
    Flu shots are more dangerous than you think, and it is best to rely on natural ways to protect against the flu.
    Isn’t it interesting that the main stream public health officials never promote the various proven ways to avoid the flu other than through vaccination?  This won't happen but wouldn't it be nice for the CDC to spend some of the billions of advertising dollars teaching uneducated people natural ways to boost our immune systems and avoid the flu without harmful and deadly vaccinations?
    I hope this is received well. To those that aren't ready to unplug from the pile of crap society, the government, or CDC feeds you etc...then that's fine. They want you to be sheeple. They want you to fall in line.
    Anyway....Happy New Year & health to all. Now back to pinball.

Sorry to hear of your issues. However, that's correlation, not causation--those are often mixed up outside of proper scientific study.

Most of this is just nonsense and misinformation. It's the same paranoid alarmist and unsubstantiated musings anti-vaxxers like to proliferate on facebook and whatnot.

A good summary of facts in an easily digestible format:

http://deadstate.org/this-comic-strip-is-the-definitive-smackdown-to-anti-vaxxers-everywhere/

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cybergoonie:

The Flu vaccines contain mercury, a heavy metal known to be hazardous for human health.

No it doesn't. Well, large multi-dose bottles of the vaccine contain thimerosal (which contains mercury), but single use injections do not. Also, the mercury found in thimerosal is completely harmless for all intents and purposes. Saying "vaccines contain mercury, so they're bad!" is like saying, "table salt contains sodium--an element that EXPLODES when touching water--and chlorine, a harsh element we use to SANITIZE our pools! Never EVER consume salt again!" When salt/sodium chloride is absolutely necessary for nervous system/neuron transfers. No sodium in our bodies=death.

Also, it's important to recognize the different forms of Mercury: Ethylmercury and Methylmercury. Methylmercury=bad. Found in fillings, fish, can harm your central nervous system. Ethylmercury=type that is broken down by the body in thimerosal, and is cleared from the bloodstream quite easily. Harmless.

Source: CDC "Understanding Thimerosal, Mercury, and Vaccine Safety" February 2013

Quoted from Cybergoonie:

There is mounting evidence that flu shots can cause Alzheimer's disease.

Absolutely not true. Not even close. This myth was perpetuated by Hugh Fudenberg who made the claim with absolutely no evidence. In fact, yearly flu vaccines are being found to decrease your risk of Alzheimer's.

Source: Alzheimer's Association and Journal of the American Medical Association October 2013

Quoted from Cybergoonie:

It’s all about the $$$$$$$$$ and has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your health and well being.

Wrong again, sir. Flu vaccines developed by Glaxo SmithKline, Sanofi Pasteur, and Novartis, (the top 3 companies who develop the flu vaccine) only accounted for 0.3% of their total profits per year, and around only 4.5% of their total combined profits.

Source: Kalorama Information April 2014

Quoted from Cybergoonie:

To those that aren't ready to unplug from the pile of crap society, the government, or CDC feeds you etc...then that's fine. They want you to be sheeple.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but as someone who has peer reviewed countless articles of scientific literature in my college days, and has worked in the government, I'm confident in the scientists who tirelessly work to keep completely preventable diseases at bay. Who'd have thought we would be able to eradicate entire diseases that have a devastating impact on humans?! (I'm lookin' at you Smallpox, and hopefully you too, Polio).

Vaccines are truly a modern marvel. Not supporting them has a profound impact on human health (i.e. Measles, Mumps, and Whooping cough outbreaks in NYC due to non vaccinated children.)

Links to citations:
    http://www.kaloramainformation.com/Content/Blog/2014/04/04/Quadrivalents-Boost-Flu-Vaccine-Sales
    http://blog.alz.org/timely-topic-flu-vaccine-not-linked-to-alzheimers/
    https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/patient-ed/conversations/downloads/vacsafe-thimerosal-color-office.pdf

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Do you hear canned laughter after every other word you say ?

Everyday The laughter keeps me up at night, and I can no longer go to the movies without disturbing everyone around me

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Remember: YOU can carry the flu and not be sick and you are still contagious. There are people that DIE from the flu.

Am I wrong for thinking that if the flu shot is so effective, then those who get the shot shouldn't have to worry about dying from the flu just because they ran into a contagious person who hasn't gotten the shot?

Another interesting tidbit is that people actually trust Big Pharma to be safe as if they're looking out for us. It's amazing. Oxycontin wasn't cleverly designed to create addicts. Doctors in cahoots with Pharma reps writing scripts out like there's no tomorrow. All the ADHD nonsense doping of our kids... Curing cancer? Screw that, there's more money in maintaining it. Every damn commercial for some new pill full of unpleasant side effects. Sure, let me be a guinea pig. Sounds fun.. I could go on. They lost credibility and trust with me eons ago.

I suppose we should trust everything the government and media tells us as well.

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

Am I wrong for thinking that if the flu shot is so effective, then those who get the shot shouldn't have to worry about dying from the flu just because they ran into a contagious person who hasn't gotten the shot?

Yes, because flu vaccines are developed months before "flu season" starts. Scientists, using field models and historical data, try to predict which flu virus will be the most virulent that particular year, and essentially use a "best guess" to determine what strain they'll use.

Generally, there is more than one strain used in vaccines for broader protection. More often than not, they get it right. Sometimes they don't, and other strains become dominant that aren't protected through the vaccine. Either way, there's always more than one strain of the flu floating around. Getting vaccinated doesn't guarantee safety 100% of the time, but it gets damn close.

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Scientists, using field models and historical data, try to predict which flu virus will be the most virulent that particular year, and essentially use a "best guess" to determine what strain they'll use.

Yeah, no thanks. I don't need my body used to confirm or deny how right or wrong someone's guess work is. I'll stick with my 20+ years of being illness and disease free as an adult.

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

Sort of, flu shot reduces your risk by 60 or 70% I think, so it's not 100% no.

Quoted from sevenrites:

Another interesting tidbit is that people actually trust Big Pharma to be safe as if they're looking out for us

Flu vaccines aren't their big money makers, so I wouldn't put this in the same category as the masses of made up mass marketed drugs you see TV commercials for

Quoted from sevenrites:

What you're doing is creating a fallacy, a false argument. Assuming something is true, then applying it to every situation.

Nobody said trust them 100%, what we are talking about is the science behind vaccines.

Believe what you want, we're somehow becoming a fact free society I guess.

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

Another interesting tidbit is that people actually trust Big Pharma to be safe as if they're looking out for us. It's amazing. No, oxycontin wasn't cleverly designed to create addicts. Doctors in cahoots with Pharma reps writing scripts out like there's no tomorrow. All the ADHD nonsense doping of our kids... Curing cancer? Screw that, there's more money in maintaining it. I could go on. They lost credibility and trust with me eons ago.

So how is the 14th century?
    You should join us in the 21st.

#92 7 years ago

Do you believe in gravity? That's just a theory....or an educated guess. I wouldn't jump off a building though.

This stuff is basic scientific method, don't turn it in to a faked Moon landing type of thing.

Repeat, you have the right not to get a flu vaccine, but know you are putting kids/elderly and other at-risk populations in danger by your decision. You being healthy has NOTHING to do with it.

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

That's just a theory....or an educated guess.

Be careful how you word yourself, wickerman.

In scientific literature, the word "theory" has a completely different meaning than it does in "standard english;" and in my opinion, the failure to make the distinction between the two meanings is what causes such controversy between the public and scientists.

To clarify:

In terms of "common" usage, the word theory does convey "educated guesses" or "contemplative thinking."

In science, however, the word theory (It SHOULD be referred to as a "formal theory" or "scientific theory") represents a wholly substantiated explanation of the real world though repeated testing using the scientific method. Scientific theories are the most reliable and comprehensive form of knowledge.

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Scientific theories are the most reliable and comprehensive form of knowledge.

Right on. So, don't base your life and health on internet anecdotes? Check

#95 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

It's disheartening, isn't it? I've got a degree in environmental science, my fiancé in bio, my very close friend is an engineer, and another close friend is in grad school for physics. We're basically the Big Bang Theory when we all get together. I feel like whenever I hear someone deny science/research/medicine, I'm taken back because so many of my peers wouldn't think to really question it. I've tried to entertain other arguments, but... I can't.

It isn't science itself that has sometimes causes skepticism, it's the people behind it.

#96 7 years ago

My mother is 95 years old and spent many of her early years as a laboratory technician and then went onto become a biology and physiology teacher teaching students that would go onto become top doctors so she knows a little bit about the science. That being said, a few years ago she had a terrible reaction to a flu vaccine and said she will never get another and her health has improved ever since.

Quoted from Wickerman2:

bottle that formula and you'll be a billionaire...

Somebody already beat me to it. Wish I had the patent.

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#97 7 years ago

my cousins sister one time....ahh forget it. Freedom!

#98 7 years ago

I used to eat burritos quite often, I also got really bad headaches, stopped eating the burritos..bam. No more headaches. Burritos cause headaches.

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Burritos cause headaches.

If you're holding your breath from the gas. Cause and effect. Look at me I'm a scientist.

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I used to eat burritos quite often, I also got really bad headaches, stopped eating the burritos..bam. No more headaches. Burritos cause headaches.

Right, correlation does not = causation. At least not without vigorous testing and tight controls in place.

There are 289 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/holiday-sharing-the-flu/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.