• Latest reply 3 years ago by Occelot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Hey guys! Long time solid state pinballer, and pseudo-restorer, first time EM owner.

I bought a hokus Pokus this week. It enters game
Mode when you manually push the interlock relays. There does not appear to be any broken Wires. There is good continuity for as far as I can trace the orange and white wire from the start button.. all the coils respond to 9v application. But when I press the start button, it does nothing.

I know this could be a multitude of things, and I am not necessarily asking for the “fix”, but more of where to even start debugging this. I do have the schematic, all though it’s not the best or most informative.

So, I guess my main question is... how do you debug dead switches in an EM?

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Occelot:

when I press the start button, it does nothing

If the Credit button doesn't activate the Credit relay, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 3 years ago

Hey thanks for the concept of jumpers. I usually just press the relay with me hand to see if it energizes.. But I guess that's not the best way to do it?

I discovered coin slot 1 had a wire disconnected (Y). I connected it, and now when I drop a coin in, the coin slot 2 relay energizes and a reset occurs. Are both coin slots supposed to energize coin slot 2? The game won't actually start until I manually energize "coin" relay. At which point the replay / gameover interlock energizes. Still no ball index / game over occurs. I think this is because the trough switch isn't working either. I didn't realize the importance of all the switch wires being connected. That really can mess up the game as whole. In modern games having a switch not working doesn't generally doesn't effect the rest of the mechanical parts of the game

#4 3 years ago

Quick question... In order to "jump" the relays.. I attached the alligator clip to the positive lug on the Lock relay which is always energized, and then touched the other end to the various relays in order of appearance on the schematic... Is that not what I was supposed to do?

This was a pretty informational video:

#5 3 years ago

So, recent discoveries for posterity, recommendations welcome!

- Power On
- Coin Slot switch adds credit to credit reel.
- Credit Button does nothing
---- Manually energizing Coin relay starts game
---- Attempting to manually engage Credit relay does nothing
---- Holding Credit Button while manually engaging Credit Relay starts game

Other issues:
- Ball index does not increment when I activate the Outhole relay, though it does go through the bonus / end ball cycle, ( game never ends )
- Trough switch isn't doing anything (Doesn't know when ball drains), Though outhole relay does engage the trough kicker solenoid
- 100's digit on 1st play score reel is wonky when resetting / scoring
- 1000's digit on 2nd player doesn't register anything.
- Outlane gate opens, but is pretty weak.

#7 3 years ago

haha, Hey man, I got it working Just gotta debug the outhole and some sticky score drums.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hokus-pokus-start-game-issues?hl=dgampguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.