View topic image gallery

secondscoring_relays (resized).JPG
secondscoring5 (resized).jpg
secondscoring4 (resized).JPG
secondscoring3 (resized).JPG
secondscoring2 (resized).JPG
secondscoring1 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

My Hokus Pokus 2nd player scoring was known not to work well at purchase. I used some of the methods in other posts (such as cleaning a few things and adjusting a switch, nothing groundbreaking) to fix some of the issues, but I have one issue left:

- The 10,000 point wheel will incorrectly increment by 10,000 points, and I think I observed it giving out an extra 20,000 once or twice.
- Occurs only on Player 2
- Observed when the hundreds digit flips to zero (e.g. 14900 + 500 will end up at 25400)
- Occurs regularly

I figured that maybe the 1000's wheel switches might be off and sending a constant signal that the 1000's digit was 9, based on the schematic, but I've attached a pic of that switch and I don't think it is that. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

secondscoring1 (resized).JPGsecondscoring1 (resized).JPGsecondscoring2 (resized).JPGsecondscoring2 (resized).JPG
#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Flamingo43:

- Occurs only on Player 2
- Observed when the hundreds digit flips to zero (e.g. 14900 + 500 will end up at 25400)
- Occurs regularly
I figured that maybe the 1000's wheel switches might be off and sending a constant signal that the 1000's digit was 9, based on the schematic, but I've attached a pic of that switch and I don't think it is that.

Why don't you think it's the 2nd player 1000s score reel 9th position switch?

If it occurs only on player 2, the pulse to the 10,000s score reel is most likely coming from the 1000 point relay switch, through the 2nd player relay switch and through the 2nd player 1000s score reel 9th position switch as @currieddog suggested.

If you block the 2nd player 1000s score reel 9th position switch (green-white wire to orange-red wire) with a piece of paper, does it still happen? It could be that the switch is stuck closed, or there could be a short elsewhere like a bent solder tab or solder blob somewhere, etc.

/Mark

#4 5 years ago

I guess the angle is not the best on the pic, but that is my 1000s reel, and the lower switch is what I think is the 9th switch (only closed in 9th position). When it is not in the 9th position, there is a lot of room between the contacts - it seems like you could drive a truck through it.

I had not thought of your troubleshooting step with the paper - I will try that later today on this switch (and also P1's switch for a control) and report back. Thanks for the tips.

#5 5 years ago

Here are the results of the test: I put the paper in the 10's reel 9 switch, hit the 10 point bumper 10 times, hundreds did not jump so I went back to zero. That worked as expected. I tried this on the 1000's reel, but it did not have the same effect, the 10,000's digit (as well as the 1,000s digit) is still sequencing when the 100 digit flips.

I am uploading a couple more pics of the 1,000s switches. (On the second pic, I moved the plastic a little so you could see underneath.)

Any ideas what to try next?

secondscoring3 (resized).JPGsecondscoring3 (resized).JPGsecondscoring4 (resized).JPGsecondscoring4 (resized).JPG
#6 5 years ago

When you blocked the switch on the 2nd player 1000pt score reel it was the switch that connects the green-white wire to the orange-red wire, right?

Quoted from Flamingo43:

the 10,000's digit (as well as the 1,000s digit) is still sequencing when the 100 digit flips.

I'd like to eliminate the 100s score reel from the equation since it shouldn't directly affect the 1000s or 10,000s score reels. Normally the 100pt relay only fires the 1000pt relay when the 100s score reel shows a 9. So can you reproduce the error (10,000s score reel advances when it shouldn't) by just hitting 1000pt targets, or manually closing the 1000pt relay? If so, that simplifies the problem and makes it easier to recreate.

#7 5 years ago

Hi Mark, I am badly color blind but I believe it was the right one, not just my eyes but also by doing it with a different wheel. Just to be sure, I circled it on the attached pic.

Here are the results: Repeatedly hitting the 1,000 point target resulted in normal expected scorekeeping, 8k->9k, 9k-10k, etc. I did not notice any errors.

I re-tried the 500pt targets and they are still incorrectly incrementing. ( 10,900 -> 21,000)

Not sure if this helps: There were a couple times when the 500 target did not result in extra scoring. Just a few, but I noticed them.

I am extremely grateful for your help.

secondscoring5 (resized).jpgsecondscoring5 (resized).jpg
#8 5 years ago

Tried an experiment on my own: Put the paper in the 100s 9 switch. The thousands did not increment, but the 10,000s did, e.g. 10,900 -> 20,400 after a 500pt target.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Flamingo43:

Tried an experiment on my own: Put the paper in the 100s 9 switch. The thousands did not increment, but the 10,000s did, e.g. 10,900 -> 20,400 after a 500pt target.

Can you repeat this experiment and watch the 1000 point relay? It's probably in the backbox near the score reels. From your description it sounds like when the problem occurs with the 10,000 point score reel, the 100 point relay does fire but the 1000 point relay does not. I'd like to confirm that.

#10 5 years ago

I've attached a pic of (what I think to be) the scoring relay just to make sure I'm giving you what you need.

Repeated the experiment of the paper in the 100s 9 switch, and yes, you are correct, there is a lot of activity (and some sparks) on the 100 point relay as it gives out the points of the target being pressed. The 1,000 point relay does not appear to do anything.

New information: With the paper still in there, I went around front and slowly incremented the score using the spinner. (100 points each, instead of the 500 points of most of the targets.) When the hundreds digit turns to 9, I noticed a slight movement in the 10k wheel - not enough to change the score but it definitely moved slightly. With the digit still at 9, I tried to move the 10k wheel with my finger and I can increase the wheel as much as I want, it never snaps into place. (i.e. it will move freely in a positive direction, just isn't being pushed on its own.) I could not go backward, however. When the hundreds digit moves to zero after hitting the spinner again, the 10k wheel digit then attempts to snap in place like it is tightening back up, and that's when it moves to the next digit.

I can take a video of this if that didn't make sense.

secondscoring_relays (resized).JPGsecondscoring_relays (resized).JPG
#11 5 years ago

Have been playing around a little bit, cleaned up some things around the 10k wheel. It is not sticking/sitting in free fall much any more. But the extra points are absolutely happening at the 9 digit in the hundreds, not the flip to zero. I have verified this by looking for the pulse in the back as well.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Flamingo43:

Repeated the experiment of the paper in the 100s 9 switch, and yes, you are correct, there is a lot of activity (and some sparks) on the 100 point relay as it gives out the points of the target being pressed. The 1,000 point relay does not appear to do anything.

Please clarify. The schematic shows that the 1000s and 10,000s score reels can only advance if the 1000 point relay fires or if the Score Reset relay fires. So when you add 100 points to 900 points for example both the 100 point and the 1000 point relays should fire. Similarly, when you go from 14,900 to 25,000 (in error) both the 100 point and 1000 point relays should fire. So when you see the error when adding 100 to xx900, does the 1000 point relay fire?

Also, if you manually close the 1000 point relay repeatedly, do the points reliably add correctly on the 1000s and 10,000s score reels?

#13 5 years ago

I will try to explain it better, because I have this down to a repeatable and reproduce-able pattern now.

First experiment: Hit 1000 pt target repeatedly. Each hit, 1000 pt relay fires. Each hit increases score by 1,000. Everything works as one would hope, there are no errors.

Second experiment: Hit 100 pt target repeatedly with no paper blockers:

Target hit, 100 pt relay fires, 100 wheel activates, score moves from 000 to 100.
Target hit, 100 pt relay fires, 100 wheel activates, score moves from 100 to 200.
(fast forward)
Target hit, 100 pt relay fires, 100 wheel activates, score moves from 700 to 800.
*** Target hit, 100 pt relay fires, 10,000 pt wheel activates and 100 wheel activates, score moves from 800 to 10900.
Target hit, 100 pt relay fires, 1,000 pt relay fires, 100 wheel and 1000 wheel activates, score moves from 10,900 to 11,000.
(back to top)

Third experiment: Hit 100 pt target repeatedly with a paper blocker in the 100 9's switch.

Results: The same as #2, except the 1,000 relay never fires and the 1,000 wheel never moves. Same 10k errors.

I do not think the machine is intending to add points. I noticed from the back that when the hundreds digit turns to 900 and the 10k wheel starts to move, it seem like the solenoid of the wheel (hope that is the right term) is pulling in but it does not let go. It holds it there. This is in contrast with all the other wheels that I observed that quickly pull in and then let go. The 10k wheel sometimes gradually lets go after a second or two, or it lets go when the hundreds goes to 0 after another 100 pt target is hit.

Very weird, it doesn't make any sense. Could there be something about a 900 score that would apply a stead connection to the 10k wheel to activate the solenoid and pull it in, but not let go? (I'm a beginner, chances are that's not it but if I were to guess...)

#14 5 years ago

Your last reply has two key bits of information:
- advancing the 100s score reel from 800 to 900 can advance the 10k score reel.
- the 10k score reel can advance when the 1000pt relay doesn't fire.
If these are true I think you're looking at a short between unrelated parts of the schematic rather than a maladjusted switch.

The way a score reel works is that its solenoid receives a very short pulse from the circuit which causes the plunger to be pulled into the solenoid. This effectively 'cocks' the score reel. When the pulse ends the solenoid relaxes and a spring returns the plunger to its rest position and simultaneously advances the score reel by one position. Any lingering with the solenoid active is an indication that something isn't right. You should be able to manually push the plunger all the way into the solenoid and then release it and have the score reel advance. Does that work with the 10k score reel?

Figuring out how your 10k score reel solenoid gets power from the 100 score reel solenoid is a little trickier. Here are a few things to try to see if you can zero in on the problem:
- Have a close look at the 100 point score reel. Since the error seems to happen only when the 100 point score reel shows 800, that may indicate that your 9th position switch and maybe others are mangled somehow. Ordinarily nothing should happen on the 8th position of the 100s score reel. Compare it to the 1st player 100 score reel.
- Pull the 10k score reel out from the bracket partially or even all the way to see if the problem persists.
- Do the same for the 100 score reel to see if its position affects the error.
- Have a close look at all the wires on the 100 score reel. Look for worn insulation, bent solder tabs, solder blobs, etc.
- Have a close look at the 100pt relay and the Score Reset relay just above it. Do the switches all open and close if you manually activate the relay? Any signs of shorts?
- Dim the lights to see if you can catch any arcing when the error happens. Any arcing not on switch contacts would be bad.

One more experiment:
Since you can get the 10k score reel to advance going from 800-900 I'm curious if you can get the 10k score reel to make the 100 score reel advance. Manually set the score to 9800 and then manually close the 1000pt relay. The 1000s score reel should force the 10k score reel to fire. If there's a short you may see the 100 score reel advance too.

#15 5 years ago

Mark - you rock; success! I went down your checklist, nothing really seemed out of the ordinary to my newbie eyes until I got to dimming the lights. I noticed that there was arcing twice as the hundreds digit went from 800, 900, 000. The arcing was in slightly different places. As for the unexpected arcing - I think the bottom part of the 9 switch, even though it was not touching, must have been close enough to the side of the metal bracket to make a spark when the wheel pushed the switch down. After a bit of fiddling with that switch to give it some breathing room from the bracket, no more extra points!

I did run into a snag in my test game where, all of a sudden, I could hear the motor running, and no points/chimes were being awarded. I shut down, manually hit the Score Reset and 100 pt relay a couple times, and screwed in the 100 pt relay a little tighter. Played two games and did not experience the problem again. Hopefully that was just related to my poking and prodding and a one time thing!

I can't thank you enough for your help - I appreciate all the time you donated to my game.

#16 5 years ago

Was following this thread just out of curiosity. I noticed how far down that bottom blade was and thought it looked close to bracket, but thought it was probably just camera angle...wish I would have asked

Cool to see you figured it out and AWESOME to see all the help that was offered to you.

Congrats on finding problem

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hokus-pokus-player2-10k-wheel-giving-out-extra-points?hl=flamingo43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.