You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0149 (resized).JPG
0Hokus-Pokus-Work-01 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Pinsiders -

Good evening. Hokus Pokus quit working a few months back. After testing coils, running through the start up sequences, cleaning switches I have identified the issue but not sure how to make the correction. Manually resetting the bonus step unit. Can start a game and everything sets up to play ball #1.

When ball #1 drains. Outhole switch closes. Score motor starts. Bonus relay energizes but will not hold to score the bonus. Score motor keeps cycling. Bonus relay also keeps pulling in. Not sure why it's not holding.

If I manually hold the bonus relay in during the score motor cycle process. It does score the bonus, outhole kicks out the ball, increments to ball #2. Can simulate all the way through game over.

Traced through the schematic back to the score motor switches, bonus relay, and double bonus relay, and outhole relay. Cleaned and adjusted all the switches using the schematic. Cannot get the relay to hold to score the bonus.

Anyone out there with a HP that has had this issue? Any information you'd be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

OHEMIO

#2 7 years ago

Check the solder tabs at the Relay to insure one isn't bent over and touching another.

#3 7 years ago

Just looked through the relays bonus and double bonus no contacts touching. No loose wires.

Going to pull the lower board and look through everything again.

#4 7 years ago

Make sure all your contact points are clean . Also make sue all your points are are in the proper position , meaning the ones that should be open or closed when the relay coil is energized or not . Some points should be making contact when the relay is energized other points making contact when it is not . With the game unplugged you can push the relays open or closed . Proper position of each point should be clear when doing this.

#5 7 years ago

Hi OHEMIO
what happens when You first put some bonus on the unit - THEN start a new game ?
The pin should in the start-up / reset procedure: STEP-DOWN due to "pulling Reset-Relay closes a switch called in the schematics: Reset-Relay (Switch)".

A short wire runs from one side of the coil on "Bonus-Score-Relay" - runs to "switch mounted on the Relay" - it is shown in the upper left corner of my JPG - encircled red. When the Bonus-Unit is stepped down towards position-Zero: A rod mounted on the turning wheel OPENS the (encircled red) "Bonus-Unit Zero Switch".
Want to inspect "my encircled red switches" - the wires in question I did "encircle green", greetings Rolf

0Hokus-Pokus-Work-01 (resized).jpg0Hokus-Pokus-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Make sure all your contact points are clean . Also make sue all your points are are in the proper position , meaning the ones that should be open or closed when the relay coil is energized or not . Some points should be making contact when the relay is energized other points making contact when it is not . With the game unplugged you can push the relays open or closed . Proper position of each point should be clear when doing this.

Trilogybeer,

Appreciate the response. I've cleaned and adjusted all contacts on the lower board. The bonus unit and the credit unit. That being said still have the issue where game isn't functioning properly. Going to walk back through all the relays and switches. This believe or not is why I love this hobby as a collector. The payoff is solving the problem. Again appreciate the advice...OHEMIO

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi OHEMIO
what happens when You first put some bonus on the unit - THEN start a new game ?
The pin should in the start-up / reset procedure: STEP-DOWN due to "pulling Reset-Relay closes a switch called in the schematics: Reset-Relay (Switch)".
A short wire runs from one side of the coil on "Bonus-Score-Relay" - runs to "switch mounted on the Relay" - it is shown in the upper left corner of my JPG - encircled red. When the Bonus-Unit is stepped down towards position-Zero: A rod mounted on the turning wheel OPENS the (encircled red) "Bonus-Unit Zero Switch".
Want to inspect "my encircled red switches" - the wires in question I did "encircle green", greetings Rolf

Rolf will look at these particular area's tomorrow morning. Appreciate you pointing me into a specific area of the game to locate the potential fix...OHEMIO

#8 7 years ago

Gentlemen

Happy to report that the issue was found and we are back up and running 100%.

I spent a lot of time working on the lower board, on the credit unit, and really just filed and cleaned the switches on all three. Even found one disconnected wire on the 2nd player score reel.

Checked contacts and connections more on the lower board and where I thought I had issues.

Today based on Trilogybeer's advice and specifically looking at Rolf's specific switches. I located the issue. Also thanks to you Phil-Lee for chiming in.

White-Yellow wire disconnected from the bonus unit switch from his diagram. So buried under the score unit you can hardly see it on visual inspection.

Should have stuck to the more simple things first per Trilogybeer...connections and switch evaluation in every location of the game first.

Absolutely love the game play of this pin. A lot of fun to play. Can't thank everyone enough for all the assistance!

OHEMIO

IMG_0149 (resized).JPGIMG_0149 (resized).JPG

#9 7 years ago

Hi OHEMIO
congratulations - You fixed it. "Close to none" 2-player-pins were imported into Switzerland in the 1970ies --- so I don't know the pin - BUT it looks great (ipdb). You do have an schematics --- do You also have the manual ?
Maybe of interest - here https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals/manuals_pinball.php then here http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_list.php?letter=H&type=Pinball scroll down to Hokus Pokus: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=2878 - then down to the "2.1 MB data, 26 pages 'Manual' " - the schematics is on the last pages.

With the free service in here https://online2pdf.com/de/convert-pdf-to-jpg (maybe want to look around in "Functions / Help" and only split the PDF into single pages ?) I can make single JPG (s) from the PDF - and then in MS-Paint I can put the pages together to have an continuous schematics, Greetings Rolf

#10 7 years ago

Rolf I do have the schematics and manual. Although I did use them for some of the issues I had. I'll say that I'm still learning to read them well.

Again appreciate all of your time and help. Onto the next project total basket case Williams Triple Strike single player. Complete restoration including maybe my first playfield restorations

Will definitely be a learning experience...

#11 7 years ago

Good to hear ! Hokus Pokus is an awesome game , I've had others come and go but Hokus Pokus is staying put .

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hokus-pokus-outholebonus-score-reset?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.