Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Budski
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have a Hokus Pokus that none of the lights in the head/light box work. I should clarify further. The "OVER THE TOP" and "SAME PLAYER SHOOTS AGAIN" will light when the they are supposed to. None of the scoring reel lights are on and none of the other lights are lit. I have checked all the fuses in the 4 Bank of fuses and the one 5amp under the playfield and all are good. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dave

#2 7 years ago

The first thing to check is the 6 VAC fuse for the lamps in the head.

If the fuse is good but you still don't have lights, the jones plugs on this era of Bally game were notorious for failing. Try wiggling the jones plugs connectors slightly in the head and see if the lights suddenly come on.

If this makes the lights come back on, and the plug and socket contacts are not badly burned, it's possible to clean the plug and socket contacts and then bend the spring-metal contacts of the socket to re-tighten them.

- TimMe

#3 7 years ago

I should have mentioned before I took all the Jones Plugs out and cleaned all the male pins with Scotchbrite and also wiggled them while the machine is on with no success. Where would the 6Volt fuse be located for the head that you mention? I have checked the 4 in the 4 fuse bar down by the transformer and one fuse on the underneath side of the playfield and all are good.

Thank you TimMe for your help.

#4 7 years ago

The fuses down on the bottom board were the ones I was talking about. If you have confirmed that the fuses, the fuse holder clips, and the wiring to the fuse holder solder lugs are in good shape, then you should have power to the lamps.

Does your game have a lock relay? If so, there is usually one switch on the lock relay for the PF lights, and another switch on the lock relay for the head insert lights. Check the switches on this relay to be sure they are clean and adjusted and making good contact. Also look for a detached wire at the solder lugs of these switches.

It's always a good habit to tighten down the switch stack screws before making any adjustment to switch blades.

- TimMe

#5 7 years ago

Dave,

Do you have a schematic for this game? If not I could scan the area of concern for you.

Ken

#6 7 years ago

I will look for the Lock Relay and check that out. Thanks TimMe
Hi Ken, thank you yes I do have a schematic, but am a novice at reading these. I am learning but it is slow.

#7 7 years ago

Yes, there is a lock relay and I cleaned and gapped the contacts. No success. The relay is operating okay.

#8 7 years ago

AFAIK here's nothing else in the circuit. From the transformer, the power rail for the GI lights in the head go through a fuse, a lock relay switch, and the jones plug and socket. I'm pretty sure that's it.

You probably should use a meter, start at the transformer, and check the voltage at each of the above items to find the place where you are losing the 6 VAC supply to the GI lamps.

I assume you've already put couple of known good bulbs in the GI sockets in the head to confirm that you don't just have a whole bunch of blown lamps, right? I've had that happen on rare occasions when the coil voltage accidently got shorted onto the lamp bus.

- TimMe

#9 7 years ago

I tried a couple in the head but maybe I should try more. Maybe I was lucky enough to try a couple that also have bad sockets. I'll try that tomorrow night. Thank you for all your suggestions.

#10 7 years ago

Okay I tried a few bulbs with no luck so I ran a jumper wire from the 6V lug on the transformer to the Lock relay blade for the head and I have lights. Now I just need to trace down the broken wire.

#11 7 years ago

Not sure how the female half of the plugs are shaped, but on a williams machine of mine, I had some lights out. Cleaned the male end, then realized the tabs on the female end were broken off causing bad connection thru plug.

Just an idea, maybe check voltage at both sides of jones plug to make sure it isnt there?

Good luck with problem. Hope you share what it was.

#12 7 years ago

Just realized that I dont know where relay is, so not sure if you are going through jones plugs or not to get there...

Certainly check voltage on both sides of fuse holders as well.

#13 7 years ago

Looks like the yellow conductor on the jones plug located lower left in the light box is the feed for the lights.

#14 7 years ago

Found a bad connection of the RED/BLACK wire from the fuse block to the Lock Relay...all is good now. Thanks TimMe for the Lock Relay direction.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Various Other Swag
UpKick Pinball
Various other swag
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hokus-pokus-lighting-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.