• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Playdium
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Name of game, manufacturer and year: Hokus Pokus, Bally 1975

Did it ever work in your Possession?: The basics worked at the demo, just recently got the game home.

Where did the game come from?: The basement of a kind, older gentleman with little pinball knowledge and apparently multiple ink pens.

What was the last service you performed?: Repaired the fuse holder, added new fuse, turned game on, and began tuning - but nothing major. Assessing.

Incandescent lighting

Obvious Past Work Performed: Previous owner enjoyed using WD40 and bypassed one of the fuses in a most unsafe manner.

Blown fuses: Added 15A fast blow fuse, left the other working fuses as is

Do you have a Volt Meter?: Yes

Can you solder?: I am a beginner but have a soldering station.

Thank you in advance for any help. Two questions:

1) I just noticed today after turning off the basement main lights that blue sparks form on the switches of the left and right slingshot each time the ball activates them. Should I be worried about this and if so what can I do about it?

2) The lights on the playfield intermittently go out completely. They flicker on and off again occasionally or outright die for a period - I assume it is not a fuse issue. Wiggling the Jones plug under the playfield will sometimes bring the lights back on. I know this is a very vague question but how would you attack this problem? Is there some way to figure out how to make a certain connection more snug/stable? How safe is it to adjust the plug while the game is on?

Thank you.

#2 5 years ago

Was this the one on C/L?

Get a Dremel with a wire wheel and polish the Jones plugs.

#3 5 years ago

I will try the Dremel/polish this weekend, thank you.

Should I be worried about blue sparks?

Yes, this was on C/L. The guy that sold it was very nice, I do not think he was the one who maintained it though. The machine overall is good, the price was right, but while the magic pen and other creative repairs do not affect game play, they are unfortunate. It is my first EM and I love spinners.

#4 5 years ago

I would drop the sling shot switches from the bottom of the play field and clean the contacts.

These are the wire brushes I use to clean contacts and general cleaning and polishing.
www.walmart.com/ip/Dremel-428-02-3-4-Carbon-Steel-Brushes-2-Pack/149147299

They do throw loose wire from the brush as you use them. Wear eye protection!!! And cover the lower relay board when you attempt to clean any play field switches. You don't want a loose bristle becoming lodged in a relay switch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hokus-pokus-blue-slingshot-sparks-and-random-blackouts?hl=flamingo43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.