(Topic ID: 276257)

Hobby, hobbier, hobbiest? The word is Hobbyist!

By DanQverymuch

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Sputnik
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

206px-Hobie_16_catamaran_sailboat_1857 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Just venting on a pet peeve.

"Hobbyist" has been misspelled over 12% of the time here on Pinside as "hobbiest." I find this error rate to be excessive.

Perhaps my thread title will help some remember. One can only hope.

Okay, that's off my chest. Carry on!

#2 3 years ago

A lot of words are misspelled here.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I know how to spell bananana I just don’t know when to stop.

#4 3 years ago

The King of Hobbies would never make that mistake.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Misspelled over their two!

#6 3 years ago

Eye wood nevver mispell "hobbiest".

#7 3 years ago

I’m the hobbiest guy around.

#8 3 years ago

We're right on Lake Michigan here, and Hobies are very popular.

206px-Hobie_16_catamaran_sailboat_1857 (resized).jpg206px-Hobie_16_catamaran_sailboat_1857 (resized).jpg
    #9 3 years ago

Takes a limited mind to spell the same word the same way each time ! ; )

Shane

2 years later
    #10 10 months ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

"Hobbyist" has been misspelled over 12% of the time here on Pinside as "hobbiest." I find this error rate to be excessive. Perhaps my thread title will help some remember. One can only hope.

Guess it didn't. I just checked on the error rate after my post (2.5 years ago), and if anything, it's worse now, almost 13% since then.

I didn't really expect it to make a difference, but it is interesting that the error rate is pretty consistent, for being so high.

For such a silly error! There are over 2800 words in English with the suffix -ist, mostly used to create nouns with the meaning “one that works with or is connected with.” There are nearly as many words with the suffix -est, which usually adds the meaning “most” to adjectives and adverbs.

But apparently a blind spot appears when the base word ends with a "y." I guess people revert to that old "y -> ies" rule even though it is irrelevant there.

But don't mind me, I'm one of those weirdos who read books about languages, how they develop, and that sort of thing.

#11 10 months ago

Oops...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobby-hobbier-hobbiest-the-word-is-hobbyist and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.