Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pin-Geo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Relatively new to pinball, I have an LOTR and I’m looking into getting another mode based game. I’ve got it narrowed down to These three:

The Hobbit
Twilight Zone
Indiana Jones

Any thoughts?

#2 3 years ago

I prefer TZ from the last IJ would be my second choice.

#3 3 years ago

If you prefer objective based rulesets that work the entire playfield in interesting ways then I would highly recommend The Hobbit. TH is a game you can own for years and still find things to unlock and work your way through. I owned a TZ for nearly 10 years and while it's a great game its ruleset never really appealed to me as the modes tend to focus on hitting the same shots just for points versus progressing through a story. I haven't played a ton of IJ but would consider that a close second after Hobbit.

#4 3 years ago

I would recommend the IJ if you have one available just based on the rarity of them coming up for sale anymore. I’ve been sniffing around for one and they only seem to pop up every couple months nowadays. If nothing else you get a trading piece that will allow you to get almost every game out there. I haven’t put enough time on the Hobbit to really comment and when I did it was early code. TZ is amazing and will be a top 10 game forever. I’m still amazed at how complex and unique mine is every time I play.

#5 3 years ago

Is there a meaningful difference between the different versions of the hobbit? Other than side art and trim color.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from blokcube:

Is there a meaningful difference between the different versions of the hobbit? Other than side art and trim color.

Gold has a gold Smaug and I think some different voice lines for him. Otherwise they all play the same.

#7 3 years ago

IJ - best theme integration ever in a pin, great modes with 3 good video modes, good difficulty(tight shots) and some nice mods that in my opinion make it the best game ever made. Pinsound and color dmd take it to another level.

#8 3 years ago

I've owned TZ and own and love Hobbit. IJ never did it for me. TZ is an absolutle marvel of machinery, and I think it is a fantastic game, bit the thing that kills me on this game are those damn pop bumpers. You WILL drain sometimes when they go in, and you're helpless to do anything about it.

Hobbit is fantastic, but the shots aren't like "ooooh baby" satisfying. The rules on the other hand are absolutley amazing. One of my all time favorites that I have like 20 bad games for every good one. Most people don't like it.

All three games can be a mechanical nightmare, and not good for a beginner.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from blokcube:

Relatively new to pinball, I have an LOTR and I’m looking into getting another mode based game. I’ve got it narrowed down to These three:
The Hobbit
Twilight Zone
Indiana Jones
Any thoughts?

Well...you got it right, but in reverse order.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

IJ - best theme integration ever in a pin, great modes with 3 good video modes, good difficulty(tight shots) and some nice mods that in my opinion make it the best game ever made. Pinsound and color dmd take it to another level.

I think I love you.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

bit the thing that kills me on this game are those damn pop bumpers. You WILL drain sometimes when they go in, and you're helpless to do anything about it.

But that's pinball. And you can avoid them with skill unless you want to take the risk.

It's no contest for me - TZ is a masterpiece of play field design, mechanics, theme integration, sounds, and when set up properly is deep enough to be a long-term part of a several pin collection. Still the best overall world-under-glass.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

But that's pinball. And you can avoid them with skill unless you want to take the risk. It's no contest for me - TZ is a masterpiece of play field design, mechanics, theme integration, sounds, and when set up properly is deep enough to be a long-term part of a several pin collection. Still the best overall world-under-glass.

Eeeehhhhhh. Agree to disagree I guess

#13 3 years ago

You already have LOTR so scratch Hobbit, so now do you want another journey adventure game go with IJ or science fiction go with TZ. Both are awesome titles, modes are little easier in IJ then TZ.

#14 3 years ago

I have played all three I own a twilight zone and love it. Twilight zone is a mode based game with 14 modes on the door panel which awards lost in zone a 6 ball multi-ball Hobbit I like and played at the expo and I like jjp a lot if you want a jjp game I would buy a wonka or dialed in they are amazing games made by the amazing Pat Lawlor just like tz. My uncle owns a ij and I have played it I lot it is fun but in my opinion is not very lasting I think it is a great game to play I might buy one sometime when I expand my collection but a tz a game that blows all other away it is a true work of art in pinball and the best game ever in my opinion.

#15 3 years ago

No brainer. TZ by a mile. Hobbit is a bore, worst of the JJPs also by a mile. IJ... it’s not TZ.

#16 3 years ago

TZ is still one of the best games ever. It’s still amazing to play after so many years, even compared to the newer games.
IJ, assuming you’re not talking sterns, is a close second. You can’t go wrong if you also like the theme.

And go play a few game on TH on location and you’ll have enough of it for a few weeks, if not months.

#17 3 years ago

TZ 'nuff said.

#18 3 years ago

IJ. (Mic drop)

#19 3 years ago

For the longest time IJ was considered a distant third of the three Williams widebody superpins. I have no idea when and how the narrative shifted to where it’s even considered on par with TZ. STTNG remains the firm 2nd IMO. IJ while good just isn’t as fun or satisfying.

#21 3 years ago

Tz>/= TH>IJ

To me, TH is one of the most immersive games ever made.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Tz>/= TH>IJ
To me, TH is one of the most immersive games ever made.

My opinion>your opinion<Anyone’s opinion of our opinions.

#23 3 years ago

Love all three pins and own each of them. If it were me, i would pick IJ, but that title is getting really expensive and hard to find. Long gone are the days of picking up an Indy with full brass armor for $4600.

#24 3 years ago

I’ve never found TZ to be a fun shooting game, always felt cluttered and clunky.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’ve never found TZ to be a fun shooting game, always felt cluttered and clunky.

You don't shoot that game for "flow." But I certainly wouldn't call it clunky, either.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

You don't shoot that game for "flow."

Yeah I realize that and maybe I’m a flow oriented player and TZ is a game that really highlights that for me more than any other ive played. I’ve tried a few times to get into and and will likely try it again as I like the theme.

Not saying it’s a bad game, just give IJ a bit of the edge since in my mind it shoots better.

#28 3 years ago

Id say IJ
I own IJ since 7 years and have owned TZ some years ago, before letting it go.
Twilight Zone is a great game, but Indiana Jones is a great game and great experience

If you like the movies they will make the IJ even better,
IJ always leaves me with a good feeling after playing it, that was something Twilight Zone never did, its just a good game.

Indy will be the last game ever to leave my collection, and i also own JJP Pirates, JP, AFM & Iron Maiden.....

#29 3 years ago

Wow, 3 wide body games , all of which I am fortunate to own and all 3 bolted to my game room floor!

TZ is a beautiful , rules packed (for its era ) game that has many engineering features that were first of a kind. I believe the game set a record for new patents applications when it was developed. It is a stop and go type design and there are collectors that believe it is the greatest of all time. They can be found, sometimes in really excellent condition. Great integration with its title material. 6K plus average condition. 7K plus if found in excellent condition. This is the game that started the mod fad.

IJ is also a beautiful , rules packed game for its era. You easily could make the argument that it is the most "immersive" game of its era. Packed with features. True to the first three movies. Like TZ, add a pin sound board and color dmd to bring out more of its life/performance. Pretty expensive to find in excellent/restored condition. They can be found in the 6K range for average condition. This may include a faded cabinet, a playfield with some play field wear. 8K plus for excellent condition / restored games. I would say the most collectable of the three. you can have games where you hit a lot of clunk shots.

Hobbit is a beautiful incredibly packed rules game also. Totally different technology period and its code is loaded. Of the three, the least desirable from a collectors standpoint. A pretty much wide open play field design that has a lot of shots. There are 4 pop ups that can impact shooting lanes during play (per design) that bother a lot of players. tremendous integration with the movies. Expect much longer game play times with this title. Put in a pin woofer sound system to really bring out the immersion factor.JJP built a ton of these and excellent condition ones are easy to find. Can be bought for the low 6K range and maybe hi 5K range.

I love all three. I would make my decision on what is available and price. Nice TZ and IJ's are harder to find but when priced correctly, re sell pretty fast. Hobbits are much easier to find and unless priced pretty favorably may be harder to resell. Any of the three in a one game collection may become "old" after a while. All three ,especially Hobbit , are heavy as hell. Bring a friend to move.

One other option for you would be STTNG. Packed features wide body game from the TZ/IJ era that can be had in nice shape in the 4K range. Well integrated with its title and some may consider a better "shooter" then all 3 games above. If it was me, as a new collector, with say 7k to spend. I would buy a STTNG and with the money left over buy 1980's game like FG or a game like Taxi/Diner. two games for the price of the above. Have fun
Sully

#30 3 years ago

Hobbit. Best mode based game with 31 very unique and fun modes. Wizard modes are epic, and if you love the theme, the pin brings you right into that movie series like no other. Just my opinion. As far as trims, no big difference other than cosmetics really.

#31 3 years ago

TZ is the most innovative and best pinball ever. Excellent Art, Sounds, and Gameplay, based on one of the most unique and best shows and it will never be remade bc it would be way too expensive. IJ will never be remade either and is a great game...

#32 3 years ago

This is basically a two horse race. TZ and IJ are all time classics. Each needs to be experienced to its fullest, so buy the one you can get first in the best condition for the best price. After those two there is a HUGE gap to get to the Hobbit. You already have LOTR, so no need to go there anyway.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

This is basically a two horse race. TZ and IJ are all time classics. Each needs to be experienced to its fullest, so buy the one you can get first in the best condition for the best price. After those two there is a HUGE gap to get to the Hobbit. You already have LOTR, so no need to go there anyway.

Agree. You already own the superior Tolkein pin. Go for IJ or TZ or STTNG.

#34 3 years ago

those are 3 good pins...all of them fun. Play each one and see what you like.

I own and IJ, but I absolutely love the theme...... its a really fun game as well... (but unlike above I would give AFM the nod over IJ.... AFM is still my fav of all time). I need to upgrade IJ to pinsound and color dmd at some point.

Hobbit has the advantage of the being newer.... big LCD, I really like the sound package in the game.... I have only played it casually but it falls a bit short of the others here from TZ or IJ....BUT I will say, I dont really understand the rules of TH, so please discount my vote.... For some reason when I play that game I find myself just shooting the ramp all the time to get multiball going..... I really need to go study the rules for that machine.

#35 3 years ago

I absolutely LOVED spending some time with IJ. But in a small collection it was a bit too easy and did not hold my interest for long. If you don't mind rotating I say go for it. If you want to spend a bit more time I would suggest TZ or possibly follow suggestions listed above on other games. If I had 20+ games in my collection I'd definitely keep an IJ.

#36 3 years ago

I’ve owned both IJ and TZ both fantastic games. But I’m accustomed to and prefer games with better lighting and displays.

I’d rather have WoZ or Dialed In from JJP or AFM remake with larger display.

I can’t comment on the Hobbit except that I didn’t love it as much as Woz or Dialed In. Maybe I’d like it more if I had more play time on it. I’ve only played around 20 games on TH.

Not sure of your experience with AFM but to me it’s the best of the 90s.

#37 3 years ago

I have extensive time on all three. Before you plop down $6-$10K I'd suggest getting some time on each. For me it would be an easy decision as my Hobbit is bolted to the floor. It's value is unmatched since it got so much hate before the code was finished. A lot of people have also only played Hobbits that were set far too flat and slow. IMO it's the greatest theme integration ever in pinball by a huge margin. You already have a LotRs so you would need to decide if you want two journey games. I can tell you that if LotRs ever gets Vaulted I'll have one next to my Hobbit. All three are solid titles. TZ can be a nightmare to keep running and is probably going to cost you several thousand more than a Hobbit. Path of Adventure on IJ can also be a pain in the ass. IJ will also cost you a few thousand more unless it's really beat. Or you could grab a Hobbit with modern hardware and less than 1000 games on it for $6-$6.5K. Easy pick in my mind but again, log time on all of them before dropping that kind of coin. Best of luck.

#38 3 years ago

Having a great day at the race track. These three pins ended in a dead heat, until photos at the finish line were examined.

#1 - IJ

#2 - Hobbit

#3 - TZ

No one noticed all three are widebodies? If you added JJPOTC to your list, you’d have an undisputed winner.

#39 3 years ago

TZ such a great classic. It's packed with great features. Four flippers, powerball, working clock, gumball machine, best mini pf, magnets, wizard mode, etc. I've owned one for several years and still learning tricks.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Having a great day at the race track. These three pins ended in a dead heat, until photos at the finish line were examined.
#1 - IJ
#2 - Hobbit
#3 - TZ
No one noticed all three are widebodies? If you added JJPOTC to your list, you’d have an undisputed winner.

I give IJ the edge over JJPOTC on a couple fronts, theme integration, modes aren’t generic and POTC is very multiball heavy.

Love me some POTC but INdy is the total pkg!

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

No one noticed all three are widebodies?

Quoted from sulli10:

Wow, 3 wide body games

#42 3 years ago

The Hobbit wins this one easy for me as there are so many modes and the video/voice integration is amazing. TZ is cool but I don’t love working on older games. IJ’s rarity makes it the most solid investment but doesn’t wow me as much as The Hobbit

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.95
Hardware
RavSpec
Hardware
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
Toys/Add-ons
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.95
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-vs-tz-vs-ij and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.