• Dialed In 111 votes
    63%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pins (resized).jpg
5f84b5e4bad92e67b25bf07ffd967a11a36c74c6 (resized).jpg
1124736C-FDC3-4768-BF55-07EEB4A63711 (resized).jpeg
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

I do like both of these pins, a lot.

We're enjoying our Wonka so much that we've decided another JJP would be a good fit for us. Wonka gets played every single day in our house by all family members, first time that has ever happened. Ultimately waiting for Toy Story might just be the way to go, but I have this feeling it will be a long wait.

WOZ - owned it, loved it, don't want to own it again at current pricing
Pirates - would LOVE to own it, but again, at insane pricing it will never happen
GNR - We all decided after playing this on location that none of us like it and we don't want to own one
Hobbit - love it, could see us owning one someday, but again pricing will be an issue
Dialed In - This one is a wildcard, the theme is not my thing, but it does shoot smooth

So it's Hobbit, Dialed In or wait for Toy Story. Not a fan of another 11k pin though with Toy Story, I'm predicting it will be more like 12k for an LE of Toy Story when they finally release it and at that pricing I'm out.

#2 2 years ago

Dialed In is the better playing game, but I think I rather play a hobbit for the theme integration and movie clips.

#3 2 years ago

I think dialed in is underpriced in the market. It will go up once people realize a) not that many were made and b) its a really good shooter. If I were you I'd have an eye out for Hobbit or Dialed in and if neither comes up before Toy Story, I'd order that. You can almost get 2x Dialed in for the price of a NIB toy story though... something to think about.

#4 2 years ago

Rejecting the premise here. Hobbit and DI are two of my favorites - I'd much prefer either over WOZ any more. But between the 2, for overall fun? Hobbit

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

I think dialed in is underpriced in the market. It will go up once people realize a) not that many were made and b) its a really good shooter. If I were you I'd have an eye out for Hobbit or Dialed in and if neither comes up before Toy Story, I'd order that. You can almost get 2x Dialed in for the price of a NIB toy story though... something to think about.

I think the market is overpriced.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Dialed In is the better playing game, but I think I rather play a hobbit for the theme integration and movie clips.

The heart of the problem! Give me a Lawlor Hobbit and I'd be happy!

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from playtwowin:

I think the market is overpriced.

Hobbits are overpriced for sure. But a silver lining I guess is that they aren't actually selling at the inflated prices, they're just listed at them.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

Yea I probably shouldn't of even mentioned Toy Story. I wouldn't be surprised if they priced the LE at 12.5k. I can finally officially say "I'm out" at those prices. Even if they stay at 11k I'm most likely not going to buy it. 11k Wonka hurt, LOL, not doing it again.

#9 2 years ago

I’d say toy story, but I understand the pricing issue. You know I’m picking hobbit otherwise. DI would be fun too, but the hobbit theme, and different play style are huge when looking for variety.

#10 2 years ago

Hobbit as it has the deepest objective based ruleset ever created for a pin. Mode choreography and theme integration is off the charts.

#11 2 years ago

I'm a bigger fan of Hobbit, but I like the modes (it has a TON) and I prefer the theme. I will admit that DI shoots well, but I don't care for the call outs or theme.

DI is underpriced, however, and Hobbit is overpriced at the moment IMO. Of course, as someone mentioned above...asking price doesn't really equate what they are ACTUALLY selling for.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I'm a bigger fan of Hobbit, but I like the modes (it has a TON) and I prefer the theme. I will admit that DI shoots well, but I don't care for the call outs or theme.
DI is underpriced, however, and Hobbit is overpriced at the moment IMO. Of course, as someone mentioned above...asking price doesn't really equate what they are ACTUALLY selling for.

Yes, huge gap between asking price and selling price right now. The ones listed over 10k just sit, and sit.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hobbit as it has the deepest objective based ruleset ever created for a pin. Mode choreography and theme integration is off the charts.

Looks like you've owned both. Not a fan of Dialed In?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"7106ec8e3a4d2724e865733af5a70a7a8de2c27f-1638138969-1800"};
//]]>

Dialed in is not underpriced. The theme sucks and the rules suck. Sure it’s loaded but a game is much more than that…

#14 2 years ago

I will be extremely biased and tell you to get DI
Hobbit hurt my wrists just as much as playing GNR. If DI is set up right you won’t ever have that problem. I can only play so many 30 minute games.
On top of that, it’s a Lawlor pin which always shoots great.
The DI code is still being reviewed by “Dr Light” (the coder’s handle on Pinside) so even more things will be fixed/ added/ corrected in the code in the near future

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Dialed in is not underpriced. The theme sucks and the rules suck. Sure it’s loaded but a game is much more than that…

It’s more of a Bally/Williams ruleset I’ll give you that.
Theme is weird as well but OP suggested he didn’t care about the theme if gameplay was good

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from DK:

I will be extremely biased and tell you to get DI
Hobbit hurt my wrists just as much as playing GNR. If DI is set up right you won’t ever have that problem. I can only play so many 30 minute games.
On top of that, it’s a Lawlor pin which always shoots great.
The DI code is still being reviewed by “Dr Light” (the coder’s handle on Pinside) so even more things will be fixed/ added/ corrected in the code in the near future

I always wondered if you could "tweak" Hobbit a bit though. Set it up a little steeper, maybe remove the post between the flippers. Make it a little tougher to shoot so the ball times are not so long. Also, is there anything at all in the settings that can be changed so it's "easier" to see/get to modes and progress without having to play so long? Is Dr Light an employee for JJP?

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from DK:

It’s more of a Bally/Williams ruleset I’ll give you that.
Theme is weird as well but OP suggested he didn’t care about the theme if gameplay was good

Theme is definitely a consideration, there is nothing great about the theme, even a little. But I think I could live with it if the code and flow are satisfying enough.

#18 2 years ago

I.guess I don't get the opinion on DI's theme being a negative?
The only pin I regret selling was a great condition Whirlwind.
So DI has so many random disaster modes to engage what's not fun about that ? It's my total cup of tea and the price is a steal. I have both with several thousands of play, no plans to ever sell either.
Good luck.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

So DI has so many random disaster modes to engage what's not fun about that ? It's my total cup of tea and the price is a steal. I have both with several thousands of play, no plans to ever sell either.
Good luck.

So what's your favorite?

#20 2 years ago

We have some personal history here. Your welcome to bring the family and try them both. Only requirement vaccination please.
I feel they are set up great and plenty of fun.

#21 2 years ago

Hobbit for me. It’s unique in the world of pinball, and a work of art. You also have to really think to play Hobbit well. That’s a turn off for some people. It’s even a turn off for me sometimes, but in those cases I’ll just go play a GOTG or Aerosmith or KISS and get my adrenaline jollies.

If you want something truly different, get Hobbit. If you want a “classic Bally Williams style” pin, get Dialed In. But there are dozens of those, and there are also dozens of Sterns with a similar feel. Again, Hobbit is unique. It also shoots way better than it’s reputation.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I always wondered if you could "tweak" Hobbit a bit though. Set it up a little steeper, maybe remove the post between the flippers. Make it a little tougher to shoot so the ball times are not so long. Also, is there anything at all in the settings that can be changed so it's "easier" to see/get to modes and progress without having to play so long? Is Dr Light an employee for JJP?

You could certainly open the outlane posts, remove the center post, and change settings on mode qualifications, but remember what the idea of the game is. You have 3 really long movies to go on an adventure through. That requires time. The playtime’s are appropriate for the length of the trilogy. It’s a different style of gameplay vs most other games. It starts off slow and peaceful, and then things get crazy. There are no other wizard modes like hobbits. It truly does follow the adventures of the movies. If you love the theme, you will enjoy the adventure of the game. The 31 easily accessible modes are all very unique and fun. Is it a game you will play one more game every time? No. But one 20-30 minute game will be far more rewarding than four or five short, 5-6 minute games of most pinball machines.

#23 2 years ago

Dialed In is still the best JJP pin for me and I've played them all extensively.
For me it was down to which shot the best, and if the sim card shot was easier to make like most 3 or 4 flipper Lawler games it would have never left.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

Good luck.

I racked my pea brain against this question for a couple years and never got it either. It's a homage to all of Pat's much loved disaster pins, filled with the same kind of fun, corny humor. But I came to the conclusion that things are just different nowadays and a lot of people now want, even outright *need* media properties in their pins to enjoy them. BKSOR as well. Good game, but probably the most overlooked of Stern's Spike 2 era. Almost forgotten if you go by talk here and in FB groups Pinball Enthusiasts and Stern Pinball Enthusiasts. Give these two games big media themes and they're both in the top-20 and selling for 25% more nowadays.

#25 2 years ago

Comments seem to favor Hobbit. The poll is being dominated by DI.

#26 2 years ago

I have to say Hobbit.

#27 2 years ago

I noticed that. Weird. I would say a couple things. You guys have strongly considered, and enjoyed hobbit for a few years now per our conversations. The theme is one your family loves, and the gameplay is there. Seems like an easy choice here.

DI is great, probably has some of the best mechs/features ever, and the theme is an acquired taste. It shoots really well sure, but is it calling out to you? Hobbit is, and has been for years. DI is probably the better game as far as shots, and magic on the play field. Hobbit though will probably relate to you better with the full immersion. I think both would be great to have. Wish I had a DI, but themes matter, and while I appreciate DI as a theme, most people just won’t and hobbit will stay longer in a hobbit fan’s house.

#28 2 years ago

Hobbit is a terrific "story" pin.
Dialed In is a great shooter.
I still say DI because I prefer shorter ball-times.

#29 2 years ago

Hobbit is by far the worst JJP game

Dialed in by far the best to play

It’s all about theme and licenses for modern pinball buyers.

#30 2 years ago

Dialed in is arguably the best shooting JJP game. In the current market, it’s definitely underrated and one of the lowest prices JJP games. I’ve owned hobbit and Dialed in- Both are great home games

#31 2 years ago

To add to some great opinions and comments so far, I’ve been in the same boat in picking between Hobbit and DI and ultimately decided on DI several years ago. I really wanted Hobbit initially based on theme integration and video/music assets, but DI IMO shoots so much better and has was better flow. The theme doesn’t bother me nearly as much as some and it’s a packed game in comparison. I’m definitely with some others and think DI is underrated and a great value pin at the current prices, if there’s such a thing. Good luck with your choice and I’m sure you and your family will enjoy either one!

#32 2 years ago

Before I sold my Hobbit it was averaging about 2.5 minute game times. It was brutal with no center post, no ball-save, high-tilt, and if memory serves me correctly both side posts were removed. In league play it was very fun and tense and games never ran too long.

#33 2 years ago

The cantankerous clanking of hobbit at the start of every single ball just makes me cringe.

It seems like it’s trying to tear itself apart. The least inelegant pinball machine of all time.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The least inelegant pinball machine of all time.

Don't you mean the least elegant?
Or the most inelegant I guess.

#36 2 years ago

Hobbit is deeper, with a story to unfold. But for your average player are you going to see that depth? Likely not.

Dialed in is so approachable and VERY easy to understand what to do, how to proceed.

Also dialed in, on a cost basis, is a bargain vs hobbit.

Lastly… I think are ready for a DI… just buy mine, your family will love it! I guarantee it!!

Let me know and we can line up a place to meet this weekend

Also Wonka and DI are color coordinated so they just look like they were meant to be paired together…

1124736C-FDC3-4768-BF55-07EEB4A63711 (resized).jpeg1124736C-FDC3-4768-BF55-07EEB4A63711 (resized).jpeg
#37 2 years ago

I'd easily rather play Hobbit over Dialed In. But I rather own nearly anything else than either of them.

#38 2 years ago

Because Hobbit fans are like the pinball, they like to tell stories. Dialed In fans speak quickly like the game does !

I'm a big fan of DI, I have one and I love everything about it. It's smooth and flows like no over game, the quantum theater is a fantastic toy, and everything from modes to the layout is designed to see the ball flowing. Truly the best Lawler IMO and definitely an underrated masterpiece.

#39 2 years ago

I own a Smaug Hobbit only because I think it looks incredible. The gameplay isn’t for me, but guests enjoy the Smaug clips on the display.
I enjoy DI quite a bit as I have an opportunity to play it quite frequently at the Silverball. It shoots like butter and is very easy to understand. My only gripe is the art package. It’s a big turnoff for me.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I'd easily rather play Hobbit over Dialed In. But I rather own nearly anything else than either of them.

I'm a proud former owner of both.

DI was substantially better, and way more fun to play. However, it became monotonous in time. It's weakness was the crappy amateur callouts and pre-school animations. Theme didn't bother me and it really shot smoothly.

TH was horrible in every way except video integration. The open layout was no good. I HATED that game and sold it at a loss just to get it out of my house.

#41 2 years ago

Hobbit is an amazing ride when you get good at it

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from greeneye:

Hobbit is an amazing ride when you get good at it

Everybody is good at it. It’s the easiest modern pin.

#43 2 years ago

I found Hobbit to be criminally boring. Dialed In is the one I keep coming back to on location, trying to keep getting better at it. There are numerous machines I'd buy over either of these, but between these two, DI would be my pick.

#44 2 years ago

Have both currently, each hobbit game seems the same as the last hobbit game, given I'm playing the main multiball multiple times per game, beast multiball multiple times per game, etc. DI is in my top 5 personal pins because every drain you have with an outstanding sim card shot just seems like such a gut punch. And the most of the modes are timed very well. I'm even starting to time the sim card shot after enough plays.

#45 2 years ago

Have owned both, sold Hobbit. That being said, the kill shoot on Smaug is one of the greatest moments in pinball I have experienced. I often debate if I sold the wrong one.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Everybody is good at it. It’s the easiest modern pin.

I disagree. GNR is easier IMO

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from greeneye:

I disagree. GNR is easier IMO

Sure you are entitled to your opinion. But key takeaway relevant to this thread:

Hobbit is way too easy, which is one of the reasons it’s a bad game.

I figured at the time that it was a reaction to WOZ, an odd layout that I think is pretty difficult. It’s like they went overboard in the other direction with Hobbit; with its hungry inlanes and wide easy shots. Once players learn to eschew the pointless upper flipper, balls last forever.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sure you are entitled to your opinion. But key takeaway relevant to this thread:
Hobbit is way too easy, which is one of the reasons it’s a bad game.
I figured at the time that it was a reaction to WOZ, an odd layout that I think is pretty difficult. It’s like they went overboard in the other direction with Hobbit; with its hungry inlanes and wide easy shots. One players learn to eschew the pointless upper flipper, balls last forever.

I’m not sure which game is easier, but like Levi says, Hobbit is incredibly easy and I’m nothing more than an average player.

#49 2 years ago

Dialed In for me.

#50 2 years ago

I owned Hobbit. Great theme integration...boring open floaty layout. I'd get 30 minute ball times. Some people would then say "Make it harder" by increasing the pitch, opening up the outlanes or removing the center post. The thing is you need long ball times to progress. The game isn't necessarily deep. You have 5 qualifiers and only one is actually deep (modes). Definitely has some playability as you explore all of those modes. Would be a decent game in a larger collection but not worth the money people are asking nowadays.

DI is a great layout with a shitty theme. It's like they started with a decent theme (catastrophe) but then a bunch of 70 year old dudes were like "We need to appeal to younger people...how about we add a cell phone. Kids like cell phones!". The game is super fun to shoot though so I would take that any day over Hobbit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-vs-dialed-in-the-runts-of-the-jjp-litter?hl=dcp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.