• Dialed In 111 votes
    63%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pins (resized).jpg
5f84b5e4bad92e67b25bf07ffd967a11a36c74c6 (resized).jpg
1124736C-FDC3-4768-BF55-07EEB4A63711 (resized).jpeg
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

I was always intrigued that after WOZ came Hobbit, such radically different layouts between the two. I never really liked the hobbit movies because of the, in my view, unacceptable deviations from the book, which I adore. For instance I was so looking forward to that long trek through Mirkwood forest with great cgi (I think they spent about two minutes walking through the forest), but then the way the hobbits escaped from the forest elves made me want to get up and leave the theatre (but I didn’t, but I never saw the third part). So there’s that.

In my view, Di has the best theme in modern pinball and it’s the only game I’ve ever bought NIB (and before somebody feels the need to comment on this just consider how often we have to read silly comments from people not liking the theme). DI is all about the modes (ah, but what modes!). In fact everything else is just kind of a distraction (multiball, bob modes, theatre multiball) which I think is a bit of a shame - but perhaps compensated to a certain degree by the sim card shot - sinking the ball in the sim card hole after completing a mode - truly sublime. I think also DI was the first JJP game to benefit from Mr. Lawlor’s guidance - like putting the electronics back in the backbox where they belong.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hobbit as it has the deepest objective based ruleset ever created for a pin. Mode choreography and theme integration is off the charts.

yeah well that's not enough to save it, its tedious to play.

2 weeks later
#53 2 years ago

I love the theme of the hobbit but found myself incredibly bored by ball 2 while playing in location. Very possible I just didn’t understand the rules so I wasn’t fully engaged.

After high hopes and considerable disappointment with GNR, I had pretty much written off JJP at this point but decided to take a chance and trade for a DI LE. This game is awesome and puts JJP back into consideration for me. The theme is horrible but it plays so much better than their others pins that I have time on. Super underrated game that needs more love.

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Truly the best Lawler IMO and definitely an underrated masterpiece.

Better than Wonka?

#55 2 years ago

Well I have been fortunate or unfortunate enough to have owned 3 JJP games and played all of them. I can honestly say for me Dialed In is by far the best machine of the JJP lot. Looks and game play of JJP machines must be disproportionate because Dialed in is the worst looking one of the group but for me the best playing. The other pins are stunning to look at but by God I can't stand any of them. Dialed in is the only one I have left, it is a ton of fun to play, modes everywhere and great tributes to other Pat Lawlor machines of the past hidden in this one. It has been solid and fun unlike my Hobbit and WOZ. With JJP current pricing I doubt I'll ever own another one, there are much better machines out there for far less money. Just my 2 cents.

#56 2 years ago

That's where I'm at as well. My first game of Hobbit lasted 30+ minutes and I actually walked away from it with no interest in playing it again. Really dig DI though.

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from DK:

The DI code is still being reviewed by “Dr Light” (the coder’s handle on Pinside) so even more things will be fixed/ added/ corrected in the code in the near future

I have Hobbit Black Arrow and a Dialed in LE and love them both. Hobbit (new for me) is getting most of my attention now and is so incredibly fun. I love DI too. The one thing they did that hurt Dialed In on the last upgrade is speed up the speech to fit in with quicker call outs. It sucks. They should have re-recorded them with faster natural speech vs just speeding up what they had. It sounds bad to anyone with any kind of a trained ear. Should I be telling this to DR Light?

#58 2 years ago

I'm always discussing what potential new pin we should get. My son says one day why don't we just only get JJP pins because they are more fun. Couldn't disagree with him. There are some Sterns I like a lot including my Star Trek but they feel like they are built for just speed and tournament play. Might be having a Hobbit coming my way soon. Hopefully the weather cooperates and it works out.

1 week later
#59 2 years ago

I ended up getting this. Very happy with it, so beautiful.

5f84b5e4bad92e67b25bf07ffd967a11a36c74c6 (resized).jpg5f84b5e4bad92e67b25bf07ffd967a11a36c74c6 (resized).jpg
#60 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I ended up getting this. Very happy with it, so beautiful.
[quoted image]

I guess the poll was wrong.

#61 2 years ago

Excellent choice! Hope your family is enjoying it.

#62 2 years ago

I'm not a big fan of either, although I've only played a handful of games on each.

Problems with Hobbit:
Too symmetrical
Pop-up targets can annoy
A widebody that feels like a widebody. (Arguably)
Habitrails give spin to the ball which sometimes sends it to the outlane. (There may be a fix for this, I don't know)
Outlanes were tiresome to me.

Good things about Hobbit:
Back-stabbing the beasts is fun.
Axes on the sling shots are cool.
Lots of modes, if you like that sort of abundance.

Problems with Dialed In:
The mechanic is creepy and cheap-looking.
The world under the glass kinda feels like a run-down amusement park.
Sim-card shot is arguably bad game design.

Good things about Dialed In:
Holograms are cool.
Some of the sound effects are great.
Interesting layout.
The lasers that travel towards and then shock your flippers are, at the very least, a clever idea.

I'd give it to Dialed In. A hologram is a thing of beauty and a joy to treasure, and this is no exception.

Edit:
Didn't see the above post. Sorry. Hobbit's also good.

#63 2 years ago

I could of easily went either direction on this decision. I am enjoying Hobbit a lot more then I thought I would. I was pretty neutral on it from playing it on location but my wife and kids really wanted this as our next pin so my decision was based more on what they wanted this time around. I'm seeing that this is definitely more suited to the home environment, I've been studying up on the rules and am getting the hang of it. The layout is surprising me, the more games I put on it the more I want to play it next time. I love the orbit shot, probably because it feels so much different from an orbit shot on a standard body. I think this one will be bolted down and enjoyed for quite a few years in our home.

#64 2 years ago

I wanted to also clarify that by calling these pins the "runts" I was referring more to general perception and sales and not what I think of them. Here is my current ranking of JJP pins from best to worst...

Wonka - my favorite for sure
Hobbit - epic, amazing
Pirates - wish I could afford one
Dialed In - shoots like butter
WOZ - owned it for awhile, beautiful but we tired of it quickly
GNR - currently have no desire to own it, but it's absolutely stunning to look at

#65 2 years ago

I have owned and sold Hobbit, Pirates and DI.

Upgraded the sound system with Pinwoofer on Hobbit and it was great. To me Hobbit is in a way like EHOH and BM66. a lot of code and visual effects on a relatively easy shooting play field. I guess you need an easier shooter to get thru the depth. I liked playing Hobbit like once every 3 months after awhile of owning. Would have a 20 to 30 minute game and turn it off for another couple of months. It is one heavy SOB! Sold it one day after looking under the play field and wondered how I would fix the computer if it ever failed.

I liked DI's shots. Super smooth. I did not keep it long ,as for some reason every game felt the same to me. Most likely my playing versus the game design. Certainly, DI is the more value pin in this market

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Better than Wonka?

I waited for Wonka to come out before buying DI, I played the hell out of Wonka because I love the theme but it didn't click for me.

I will say a DI playfield in a Wonka outfit would have been my ultimate game, but I chose gameplay over style.

#67 2 years ago

Hobbit is a very beautyful game and the theme is super. The Pin is a longplayer, if you want to play it with friends, it might take hours to finish a game. A friend of mine owned it and he was satisfied with it. I also liked playing this pin and the videos are amazing.
I own a DI LE and for me it‘s a perfect pin. It resembles to the B/W-times, but it‘s absolutely a modern pin and so smooth to play - I really love this machine. If you play the Hobbit for a while and you want to sell it - buy a DI, it‘s still underrated (if you can say in these times that a pin is underrated ), but you get a lot of fun and a high quality for your money.
Sorry for my English if I wrote grammatical mistakes - I’m still learning.

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I guess the poll was wrong.

Nah, in the end the only person's opinion that matters is the one making the purchase.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

Nah, in the end the only person's opinion that matters is the one making the purchase.

Then stop asking us!!

#70 2 years ago

I wanted to also clarify that by calling these pins the "runts" I was referring more to general perception and sales and not what I think of them. Here is my current ranking of JJP pins from best to worst...
Wonka - my favorite for sure
Hobbit - epic, amazing
Pirates - wish I could afford one
Dialed In - shoots like butter
WOZ - owned it for awhile, beautiful but we tired of it quickly
GNR - currently have no desire to own it, but it's absolutely stunning to look at

I see myself defending JJP more and more with collectors based off of themes, gameplay, playfield issues, etc etc

I tell people that you cannot compare a Stern to a JJ. You can’t. Stern pins, to me, are games of varying fun. Some are great. Some are not. Jersey Jack pins, for the most part, are more of an “experience” to me.

I don’t play my GNR often, but you cannot compare the song mode to most any other Stern modes.

I don’t play Deadpool often, but there’s NO Jersey Jack mode like Mech Suit multiball.

I’m getting off of my soapbox now. Lol

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Then stop asking us!!

I'm married, I know the feeling

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from DK:

I see myself defending JJP more and more with collectors based off of themes, gameplay, playfield issues, etc etc
I tell people that you cannot compare a Stern to a JJ. You can’t. Stern pins, to me, are games of varying fun. Some are great. Some are not. Jersey Jack pins, for the most part, are more of an “experience” to me.
I don’t play my GNR often, but you cannot compare the song mode to most any other Stern modes.
I don’t play Deadpool often, but there’s NO Jersey Jack mode like Mech Suit multiball.
I’m getting off of my soapbox now. Lol

I like Sterns and JJPs for different reasons. Been leaning towards JJP recently because our Wonka has been so fantastic, best pin I've ever owned, nothing else comes even close for me. Family just wants JJP going forward. I view Stern as more fast paced pins for tournament players. Nothing else Stern on my radar except maybe a Tron, I do also like Beatles a lot. Next stop for us is getting the Cactus Canyon LE that is pre-ordered. After that JJP Toy Story. Merry Christmas to everyone!

pins (resized).jpgpins (resized).jpg
#73 2 years ago

I like Sterns and JJPs for different reasons. Been leaning towards JJP recently because our Wonka has been so fantastic, best pin I've ever owned, nothing else comes even close for me. Family just wants JJP going forward. I view Stern as more fast paced pins for tournament players. Nothing else Stern on my radar except maybe a Tron, I do also like Beatles a lot. Next stop for us is getting the Cactus Canyon LE that is pre-ordered. After that JJP Toy Story. Merry Christmas to everyone!
[quoted image]

Such a solid choice. I think I have Wonka and Hobbit as 1 and 2 for my personal JJP rankings as well, but I am still in honeymoon period with Hobbit. I would love to get a Toy Story if that is the next one!

#74 2 years ago

[quoted image]

Check out Lawlors other pins if you like Wonka and might consider DI in the future. That man knows how to build games!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.50
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-vs-dialed-in-the-runts-of-the-jjp-litter/page/2?hl=thebeefsupreme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.