View topic image gallery

edwardCIA-NSA-Edward-Snowden_1.jpg
Hobbit_playfield.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 11.36.21 PM.png
hobbit-42014.jpg
diverter-777.jpg
whitewood.jpg
01.jpg
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 10 years ago

2nd movie was awesome!

#52 10 years ago

Has subway for sure. Upper left magnet to bottom right VUK. Looks to have 2 magnets up top. Very interesting fish tales style ramp arrangement. I still am also completely lost when it comes to the 3rd and 4th flipper. The right upper can hit all smaug shots that might be enough for that side depending on game rules. I have yet to see anything for the left flipper. There is a place to the lower left of the pops for a bank of drop/standing targets but I could not tell by the schematic what was in that location. It looked like two metal plates separated that could have a switch of some sort in between. It could also be some kind of pass through into the pops from below. I would place bets at this point that the lower flaps are entrances or exits from the subway/subways. Very interesting.

Too funny that they are using parts for the whitewood that another company designed. I would think they would be mocked up as something different for the video. Copyright police where are you.....

#53 10 years ago

Cool update.
Looking forward to this game.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

2nd movie was awesome!

I will certainly give it a view, hope for the best.

I am not saying the pin is bad, was only pointing out so far that I was not excited. I did not appreciate the MM trolls which I think is bush league, not only steal the idea but steal the actual mechanism from MM. I think trolls work great for MM in a funny, campy type of humor.

I hope this pin is spectacular in every way possible. Just from these teaser videos, I am not moved to place a pre order.

But more pinball is always a great thing in my book and I hope JJP the best success with WoZ, TH and every other pin they make.

I really want to buy a JJP pin ASAP, but am willing to wait, I think the video technology is going to be great, and can only imagine will get better with each successive game.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Seems a lot faster then WOZ the slingshot battle axe is a little cheesy though.

Maybe its just cause its whitewood, but in no way does it look faster than WOZ to me. Lots of long shots to the ramp from what I can see. WOZ has some mid playfield shots to shoot at.

#56 10 years ago

This is definitely going to be a player's pin.

I have no intention of buying one, but I wish JJP the best.

#57 10 years ago

I could see them coming up with a new troll for the pin, and just using the mm trolls for now (like the WOZ tree bumpers)

#58 10 years ago

I like how the pop-ups block the ramp so you cant spam the same shot.

..but it has haunted forest pop bumpers, so i guess im out.

#59 10 years ago

WOZ whitewood oct 2011

#60 10 years ago

Looking nice. I really hate The Hobbit theme, but whatever. Hopefully it's a really good game.

#61 10 years ago

My god what a bunch of negative Nellies. The trolls will be orcs, duh!!!! Game looks extremely promising. It's always all the guys that didn't pre order that come on and try and make themselves feel better. Lots of ways to keep the ball under control. Ramps and VUKs feeding the flippers. Kickback yeah!! nice captive balls in the middle. Subway!! Orcs!! And Smaug himself will likely be very good.

That being said, I do agree that I hope the upper flippers are used more. maybe when the orcs are up, the upper flippers are the only way to hit Smaug and the banana target on the right. Left loop shot to upper right flipper (Smaug turns to follow ball and exposes his weak spot) upper right flipper shot at Smaug.

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

My god what a bunch of negative Nellies.

so you're saying we can not say what we honestly think of the videos? Only positive comments are welcome. Good to know.

in that case this is sure to be:

01.jpg01.jpg

#63 10 years ago

No that's not what I am saying.

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

so you're saying we can not say what we honestly think of the videos? Only positive comments are welcome. Good to know.
in that case this is sure to be:

01.jpg 33 KB

I think he's simply saying folks don't seem to be familiar with the purpose of a white wood. It's not like it's anywhere near a finished game or even callibrated (pf level) like a finished game. It's simply for evaluating shot angles and playfield layout. Obviously there are no rules, art, lights, or even toys for that matter. So to judge it beyond that is pointless. Comments like "it seems floaty" or "I did not appreciate the MM trolls" are actually kind of funny.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Because they seem to be confident that they are on target for the first shipments starting in December. Given that, I think they would need to be further along in development (a white wood close to finalization, if not finalziaed, with a fully-functioning Smaug.)

What makes you think this is the only white wood? This could have been done months ago; JJP may have a newer version that we haven't seen yet. I wouldn't show "real time" progress with updates ...

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

What makes you think this is the only white wood? This could have been done months ago; JJP may have a newer version that we haven't seen yet. I wouldn't show "real time" progress with updates ...

Oh, I highly doubt this is the most recent white wood. I was only saying that to try and judge the game from the video shown alone is silly (responding to the other post).

#67 10 years ago

Spot lights on lower slingshots.
GI response from WOZ critiques?

Anyone else notice that the purple targets in front of where Smaug will go are sitting in a slot. I'm guessing that the targets will slide in front of the VUK to allow hits on Samug itself.

whitewood.jpgwhitewood.jpg

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

I think he is saying he would like to see the use for the top flippers. Because in this video they are useless.
Any top flipper that doesn't get to a shot that is impossible to make with the lower flippers is a useless flipper

Think outside the box. The rules will likely implement the upper flippers. What if there is a hurry up after an orbit shot and a troll pops up for you to hit, if you do not hit it with the upper flipper quickly you miss the hurry up.

Most people who play Starship troopers have no idea what the third flipper is for (it counts as two bug kills when used to hit a bug standup target)

Try and keep in mind who is programming the game. While I am at it, play and learn the WOZ rules, there is more to the game then pretty colors.

Flame suit for the hatters.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

What was the last game to be released with a subway?
I think the P3 has subways so they probably have to be credited with bringing them back.

Metallica LE.

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

The ball gets caught by a magnet in the back then it drops down into the subway.

Okay, watched again. Is that when the magnet grabs the ball up top...it rolls down a little...and then pops up through the right VUK? First time I watched the video I thought maybe I just somehow missed how the ball got over there.

#71 10 years ago

Can't tell anything from that video in my opinion; are those the exact same trolls from mm? No one else is worried that the whitewood is not further along?

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Have not even seen the second movie,

Lol, could you not have started your nonsense with that line?

If you did not see it, dont comment on the movie. Jackson did fine.

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Can't tell anything from that video in my opinion; are those the exact same trolls from mm?

Of course, nicely thought out

Quoted from musketd:

No one else is worried that the whitewood is not further along?

No, vid was properly take ages ago IMHO, Its coming out end of year, they will be miles in front

#74 10 years ago

Hey, i am not sure. But on those videos, the flippers dont have rubbers on?

I am i right?

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Hey, i am not sure. But on those videos, the flippers dont have rubbers on?
I am i right?

Yeah, they are there. On my pc it is full screen and HD..quite clear.

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

My god what a bunch of negative Nellies. The trolls will be orcs, duh!!!! Game looks extremely promising. It's always all the guys that didn't pre order that come on and try and make themselves feel better. Lots of ways to keep the ball under control. Ramps and VUKs feeding the flippers. Kickback yeah!! nice captive balls in the middle. Subway!! Orcs!! And Smaug himself will likely be very good.
That being said, I do agree that I hope the upper flippers are used more. maybe when the orcs are up, the upper flippers are the only way to hit Smaug and the banana target on the right. Left loop shot to upper right flipper (Smaug turns to follow ball and exposes his weak spot) upper right flipper shot at Smaug.

Great idea to incorporate Smaug's weak spot. I hadn't even thought of that.

#77 10 years ago

watching that woz video posted several posts above, the final one plays exactly the same.
so we can only assume the final hobbit will play as the videos above.
not $8k there. don't care how cool the 1 toy will be. useless upper flippers and any dreams of anything cool going on under the playfield were squashed yesterday with the reveal that it is just 4 "orc" popups and not any cool subways entrances like ToM, etc...
Flame away. I owned a wozle for a month and have Hobbit preordered and paid in full, but not sure it's going to stay that way.

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

are those the exact same trolls from mm?

I am sure with Matt from Back Alley on the team they will be custom figures for the pop ups that relate to the Hobbit. Likely just used the trolls for testing purposes.

#79 10 years ago

Surely they're joking with those tree bumpers, right?

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

watching that woz video posted several posts above, the final one plays exactly the same.
not $8k there. don't care how cool the 1 toy will be. useless upper flippers and any dreams of anything cool going on under the playfield were squashed yesterday with the reveal that it is just 4 "orc" popups and not any cool subways entrances like ToM, etc...
Flame away. I owned a wozle for a month and have Hobbit preordered and paid in full, but not sure it's going to stay that way.

There is a lot we haven't see. TH is driving 17 more things than WOZ. With that being said there could be an underground playfield that cannot be seen from.above but only on the LCD. If that's the case the Smaug toy could interact above and below the playfield.

#81 10 years ago

Is that a prototype or a Frodotype? MMMMM......Hobbit Burgers!!!

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Well, not too exciting to me. The upper flippers seem to be totally useless. Seems kind of slow or floaty. I did not care for what Peter Jackson did to the book at all. It's like he took a fine book and made it super long and added pointless Hollywood cues. Have not even seen the second movie, and I was the biggest The Hobbit fan growing up, read the book several times.
I was greatly interested in this pin vs MMR, but not feeling it. I know it's just a prototype but this did not excite me.

It's an early proto ffs. Negative-Nancy's like you aren't satisfied by anything less than your childhood fantasy made real. Be thankful that you get to see this much. And don't worry...just like the Hobbit movie franchise, these pins will be fine without your financial aid.

And we care not if you "appreciate" Jackson's treatment of the book: skip the movies then, read the book, and get to work finding a studio to fund your reboot.

#83 10 years ago

These vids look weak the game seems lame. That being said what is an early prototype supposed to look like... I think Stern has the right idea with revealing nothing till its ready to hit the factory line. Not a good teaser imo.

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

This is why I completely disagree with releasing pictures, descriptions or especially videos this early in the design cycle. I just can't see how this early version of the game with no artwork and most of the toys missing is going to influence people who haven't already done so to buy a game? Of course it looks terrible this early on! In my mind this can only hurt pre-order sales and possibly cause cancellations. Wait until it is done and release it to all kinds of wows, ooohs and aaaaahhhs. They proved they can make a good first game with WoZ; no need to do this at all. I sense desperation for sales...

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I sense desperation for sales...

I don't sense that at all. I think they are trying to appease the people constantly asking for Hobbit updates.

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I just can't see how this early version of the game with no artwork and most of the toys missing is going to influence people who haven't already done so to buy a game?

So then if it "looks terrible" why would they release it in a "sense of desperation for sales"? They have already sold a big number and will sell more when it comes out with all the oohs and ahhhs and then if it plays great they will sell even more.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So then if it "looks terrible" why would they release it in a "sense of desperation for sales"? They have already sold a big number and will sell more when it comes out with all the oohs and ahhhs and then if it plays great they will sell even more.

The point is that all games look "terrible" at this stage. I see no reason to be showing this. Its not like WoZ. This game will be out in a matter of months.

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I just watched the 2nd one again to see what I missed. I still didn't see a subway. What are you seeing that I'm not?

0:45 Ball gets caught by middle top magnet after a second is released by the right VUK

#89 10 years ago

I like a lot what I see. I think it will be a strategic game with combo shots to make your way to a shot which is really needed.

From what I see is that there is another diverter on the top left of the playfield. This will feed the circle shaped wireform in the Playfield CAD drawing. Probably a ball lock feature.

Another thing I notice are the four rollover targets in the middle of the playfield. I'm really curious to the drop target bank they came up with protecting Smaug. Must be something interactive. I like how that works in TSPP already software wise. A Shadow loop would be great but am not expecting that anymore. Diverter control is already great!!

Last thing I remember is they spoke about two subways and a lot of underplayfield action. Lots to await!

Enjoy the ride

Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 11.36.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-04-12 at 11.36.21 PM.png

hobbit-42014.jpghobbit-42014.jpgdiverter-777.jpgdiverter-777.jpg

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from PinPeet:

Another thing I notice are the four rollover targets in the middle of the playfield.

Was also thinking about that... and your right.

What struck me most was the idea how they gonna feed the most left wire form. It cannot be fed form the main (right) ramp or from the VUK. There is a 'block' on that wire. Could that be the point where Smaug spits it's load on multiball?

Hobbit_playfield.jpgHobbit_playfield.jpg

#91 10 years ago

^ Looks like there will be a 5-bank of the new drop targets: 3 protecting Smaug, and 2 blocking the VUK entrance. And the top center diverter to change from 2 ramp entrances to a FT-esque U-turn shot is cool. Interesting....

#92 10 years ago

Looks to me like Smaug could be a ball lock, multiball diverter element, I am thinking JD Planet, JP T-Rex and DM Claw here.

The targets (and slot) in front of Smaug seem set for a drop bank in front with hit targets behind, I don't really see the point of moving targets as drops would do the same thing although JJP has hinted at something new here so who knows (JJP does obviously). Maybe a magnet incorporated Drop/Target that would feed Smaug the ball from the playfield T-Rex style, anyway fun to speculate.

Looks like a winner all round anyway to me, upper flipper purpose not withstanding.

#93 10 years ago

Maybe there will be side entrances to the subways on the right and left side of troll targets that can only be hit by upper flippers?

#94 10 years ago

Look's great, fast with good flow. Can't wait.

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Maybe there will be side entrances to the subways on the right and left side of troll targets that can only be hit by upper flippers

I really like that idea

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Was also thinking about that... and your right.
What struck me most was the idea how they gonna feed the most left wire form. It cannot be fed form the main (right) ramp or from the VUK. There is a 'block' on that wire. Could that be the point where Smaug spits it's load on multiball?

Hobbit_playfield.jpg 87 KB

Thanks for taking the time to mock up the ball flow!! That helped me out a lot ... nice job! I also love that apron. I really wish they could add some lighting underneath it to help show the player where they've been on their "journey" and what they've completed. It would definitely be cool to have an interactive apron that actually serves a purpose.

#97 10 years ago

I'm still feeling that they should drop the upper 2 flippers.
Other than that, looking great.

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Thanks for taking the time to mock up the ball flow!! That helped me out a lot ... nice job! I also love that apron. I really wish they could add some lighting underneath it to help show the player where they've been on their "journey" and what they've completed. It would definitely be cool to have an interactive apron that actually serves a purpose.

With or without interactivity the apron looks really nice. Big improvement...

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

I'm still feeling that they should drop the upper 2 flippers.
Other than that, looking great.

I can't think of a wide body pin that only has two flippers.

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I can't think of a wide body pin that only has two flippers.

IJ

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 25.50
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-videos/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.