Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00512 (resized).JPG
DSC00511 (resized).JPG
DSC00510 (resized).JPG
4419FD10-2CE5-41F8-A674-994604440D87 (resized).jpeg
90752784-20DE-401B-9394-AAC57F1A4345 (resized).jpeg
B2230475-944E-4CA4-8C7C-7A92DDA4A4FF (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballHaven.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

It will sometimes quickly flip one or more times before locking in the hold position. Cleaned EOS and flipper button switches, re-flowed a coil wire that seemed suspect, then when those ideas didn’t work I replaced EOS switch without any improvement.

Appreciate any help here, switch test indicated EOS is off and on when it’s happening.

Thanks in advance-

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd concentrate on the coil lugs. Especially the thin wire from the coil windings to the coil lugs. Easy to have a crack or break you can't see, dig around them.
I'd reflow all three lugs, or replace the coil in case it has a break inside you can't see.
LTG : )

Thanks, appreciate the quick reply Lloyd!

#4 2 years ago

Not sure exactly what it’s called but the wire/diode/resistor that jumps from lug 1 to lug 3 on the coil broke at the middle by the guts, can’t be resoldered. Will probably just order a new coil and start fresh on this with a flipper rebuild to be sure since I’ve had multiple issues with this flipper since getting the machine and the coil is not original, not even sure it’s the right one for that flipper. Hobbit ownership is an adventure......

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

1N4004 or 1N4007 diode will work. Get the silver banded end back in the same spot as the broken diode.
If you replace the coil, be sure the diodes match up the same as the old coil and get the wires back in the same spots.

Ok thanks. Pardon my ignorance, but what does it do and why is it there? I’ve seen other posts saying these are not required / optional. Trying to learn as I go, appreciate all of your help!!

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If a coil has them, don't leave them off.

Wouldn't the parts diagram in the manual be the definitive source? They are not listed in The Hobbit diagram, specifically I'm on pages C-18 & C-19 for the flipper assemblies. I ordered replacement coils from JJP when I first got my machine, and there was no mention of this part in my dialogue with them either. The upper flipper I'm rebuilding had a replaced coil there and it was poorly installed in several ways and has given me trouble since day 1, so I'm not sure I trust that the diode is correctly placed there.

For what it's worth I had the correct JJP coil on hand and did the rebuild before I saw your latest reply. It plays fine without the diode although I don't want to risk damaging the machine, so I will order them and leave the game off for another week waiting for this 11 cent part to arrive! Guess I'll order some extras.....adding photos to show replaced, and what appears to be factory left and right coils which are different in their diode layouts

Cheers!
4419FD10-2CE5-41F8-A674-994604440D87 (resized).jpeg4419FD10-2CE5-41F8-A674-994604440D87 (resized).jpeg90752784-20DE-401B-9394-AAC57F1A4345 (resized).jpeg90752784-20DE-401B-9394-AAC57F1A4345 (resized).jpegB2230475-944E-4CA4-8C7C-7A92DDA4A4FF (resized).jpegB2230475-944E-4CA4-8C7C-7A92DDA4A4FF (resized).jpeg

#10 2 years ago

Thanks, your lower ones seem to match mine. I called JJP and they said only the early WOZ games had diodes, and all games are ok without them due to having the resistors on the boards. So confusing......but it plays fine without it on the upper.

What is your model / build date if you don’t mind me asking? I will share this info back with Ken just for informational purposes since both our machines appear to have the same (factory) diodes on the lower coils, contradicting what he stated about their history. He stated you can see the resistors on the board if you look on all JJP machines, so I suppose that is easily verifiable if one knows what to look for!

#12 2 years ago

Right, diodes. I was using the terms interchangeably.....my mistake.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballHaven.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-upper-flipper-twitch-chatter?tu=PinballHaven and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.