Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vireland.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8665 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Powder coating ramps is a TERRIBLE idea. Habittrails are ok as they have a pre-determined path they take so ball tracks aren't an issue. In a ramp you don't want a groove to be created. The powder isn't thick but repeated pathing from the ball can certainly create a valley and that isn't something you want on a ramp.

Have you done it? I have on The Shadow. No grooves on black powder coated ramps after like 10 years. Seems like speculation of people who haven't done it, based on my first-hand experience with actually doing it. Especially when we're talking non-routed pins for the most part.

#8666 4 years ago

Double Post

1 week later
#8754 4 years ago

DaveH said:

Vic came in with attitude, and Vic might be the nicest guy in the world, but you don't walk into a party at someone's house and spit on the floor...

Quoted from Rarehero:

Vic is a legend!
Look up Working Designs! Glad to see you here, Vic!

Haha! I'll take "legend", but it might be a bit much...

Was the one the other guy was referencing the post where people were positing that powdercoating ramps was not to be done because the ball will make trails in it, and I posted, that no, that doesn't happen because I've done it and it looks great many years later? Never had a personally observed, firsthand-fact called an "attitude" before. I would say that spreading false information is more like "spitting on the floor".

3 months later
#9141 3 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I think Alex indicated that it is not realistic to powdercoat ramps, but the habitrails are supposed to match.

Why not? I've powdercoated some and they look and hold up great.

#9174 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

No they don't. Powder coating ramps is a really really bad idea. Wireforms are one thing as the ball follows a predefined path, ramps will get ball tracks, valleys, and divots which will impact the roll of the ball significantly. There is a reason none of the manu's or pinball coaters will do it and it's certainly not cost. A ramp would be about the cheapest part to coat as there is little to no prep on it.

I did this to a Shadow. It looked great and had none of what you are talking about. Still looked great years later after heavy play. I should follow up with the person I sold it to and see how it looks now ~5-7 years later.

#9193 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

What do you consider heavy play? Certainly not 2-3,000 games.

Well, 3 plays a day (it probably averaged at LEAST that in our house) x 365 days x (just) 2 years = 2190 plays. (I think I had it 3 years after the powdercoating, but I'm calling it 2 to be conservative). Still looked great when I sold it, and we all know how to play, so our playtimes per game were definitely longer than a routed one. I actually emailed the guy I sold it to so I could post a follow-up. It's been 8 years now since I did the powdercoating. You have me curious about how it held up after I sold it.

#9204 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

What do you consider heavy play? Certainly not 2-3,000 games.

Checked with the guy I sold it to, and it still looks fine, almost 10 years later. Also, he said he was inspired by my Shadow job to powdercoat his Stargate ramps gloss black, and after 4000 plays, it has no grooves, chips, pits, etc in it, either.

So I call bull. I've DONE the powdercoating, seen the results and lack of wear firsthand. I don't believe there's any reason they couldn't powdercoat JJP ramps to match rails of PF until I see some real-world testing that runs counter to my firsthand real-world years-long experiment, and my second-hand experience of my friend's powdercoating that had the same wear results when he did it - none. Aside from some dulling of the gloss, he said his is still perfect, and 4000 plays is plenty of time for some wear to show up.

#9206 3 years ago

triple post (yes, that was weird)

#9217 3 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Not a powdercoater by any means, so no expert opinion here, but wouldn't powdercoating the ramps accelerate the degradation and smoothness of the balls? And wouldn't those damaged balls then possibly be more damaging to the rest of the playfield?

Not my experience at all. The finished surface is smooth as glass.

#9220 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I don't want my ramps power coated on the hobbit. If anything, that should be done by request, or aftermarket (if that is the right word?).

It's not happening, there was just a side, semi-related discussion about why this hasn't been done in production machines.

#9267 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

You can call bull all you want. You've powder coated 1 machine I've done 4000. I think I have a little bit of knowledge here. I've seen it first hand. The "dulling" of the gloss is micro scratches. That will give way to tracking and also cause ball skid and direction change. It's not a good idea. Again there is a reason manufacturers don't do it and it isn't cost.

You powdercoated 4000 ramps? Or 4000 external cabinet hardware pieces? Different. Applying external cab powdercoating experience to ramps seems like a stretch.

Also, the minor finish dulling after so long is little different than what you see on stainless steel ramps MUCH sooner. Given that after 4000 plays on the Stargate and almost 10 years on the Shadow, all that was evidenced was the minor dulling of the gloss, how many decades would it take before *actual* ball tracking happened?

Now, ball skid I can totally buy as a potential issue, but that would be due more to the gloss of the finish than the amount of wear in evidence after all this time. Basically the same as waxing the crap out of a playfield.

8 months later
#9874 3 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

What are the reaction to the black arrow SE?
I really want a hobbit game, but I wanted the Smaug SE. But that is too late. The Black arrow looks perfect.
I guess there isn't much of a shock to the owners, as it was with the woz 75.

There are plenty of Smaug SE units out there, some still NIB. Just get one of those if that's the one you want.

#9945 3 years ago

31 "totally" different modes might be stretching it. There's a lot of sameness to many of the modes.

Wonder what the "Super wizard mode" is?

#9947 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

They are all pretty darn unique...except the two "one-shot" hurry up modes (The One Ring and A Thief in the Night). Where is the "sameness"?

(This is not based on 1.90, which I haven't played much yet)

Almost 40% of the modes fall into three general categories: Shoot Drop Target(s), Shoot Ramp(s), and Bash Popup(s). Some have like one shot on top of the basic thing, but that's about it (if even that).

Shoot Drop Targets
------------------
Roast Mutton
Dol Guldur
Riddles in the Dark

Shoot Ramp(s)
------------------
The Bait
Moon Ruins
One Ring
Resurgence of Sauron
Demise of Bolg

Bash Popup
------------------
Radagast the Brown
Flies and Spiders
Interrogation
Duel in Lake Town

There are some really cool, unique modes, but too many of the above feel like filler, especially since I can't watch the video while shooting the game.

#9949 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Well, all modes are shoot shots. *shrug*
They all have variations

I guess my problem with the ones I listed as being "same-y" is they are not as involved as the other modes that lead you from shot to shot instead of hit this x times over and over (Sauron spam the left ramp one is ridiculous), or hit this, then that, repeat. They just feel lazy and in need of fleshing out.

That said the other ~60% of modes I actually like give me hope that they'll all eventually be fleshed out to be fully satisfying.

#9952 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Seriously?? That Sauron one is actually one of my favorites!! Like I said, it's all about maxing switch hits before cashing in and strategically extending the timer at the same time. The lighting and sound is excellent in that one too. Different strokes...

I love the lightshow on that one, but bashing the left ramp repeatedly is just brain-dead. Why not left-right alternating to finish the mode or something else to add a little spice to the mode?

#9956 3 years ago
Quoted from Troz:

If you're just shooting the left ramp in that mode you're doing it wrong: ยป YouTube video

No, I'm doing what's needed to finish the mode.

#9958 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

There are 31 modes. Why do they all have to be brutally and meticulously fleshed out? Why can't one or two be hurry ups or a single repeated shot? There's enough variety here we don't need to brow beat the dev over nuances with one or two of the 31 modes I think.

12 Modes have very simplistic and similar completion parameters, not one or two.

#9960 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So you're saying this game has 19 non-simplistic modes and that's not good enough for you?

No, but why have the filler modes I have to groan about when they come up (flies and spiders and bash spider are groaners for me)? If you can't do 31 fully awesome modes, just have 25 rock solid, fully engaging modes in the game and cut the fat. I'm totally fine with that.

That said, since this is still essentially a framework, using the WoZ software roadmap, I expect that they'll all eventually be fleshed out before it's considered finished. So, I can wait.

#9965 3 years ago
Quoted from Troz:

I believe the modes are finished objective-wise and only score balancing will happen from here on out. Wouldn't hold your breath.

Compare the "final" Woz 2.0 to the actual pretty close to final WoZ 6.06. HUGE difference in all aspects including objectives. I think Hobbit will evolve similarly.

#9968 3 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I trust Keith and Ted aren't done. I think Keefer knows what he is doing. If 31 modes aren't varied enough, sell hobbit and buy 5 Stern to get your 31 modes back. Even then, you might find Tron or LOTR limited by the zero drop targets. (I own Woz , TH and 7 Sterns - so not bashing any of them )
You are the first I've heard saying TH modes are too similar.

Well, it's not my Hobbit, anyway, so I don't need to sell it. But I'm looking forward to the polish to come. I would call it good, but not great yet.

3 weeks later
#10032 3 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

At Freeplay Orlando tonight Jack said that new code drops next week. So who wants to take odds on when it will actually drop? I hope he's right of course!

They had to fix the lockup bug in 1.90 pretty quickly. Thankfully this isn't Stern.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vireland.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside