47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1964 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

100's of new posts and not one relates to actual updates for TH. In fact there is more talk of WOZ than TH.

Yea, but this is a great thread to come to for drama and debate!!!

#1988 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And? Who cares. Pick a better theme then. I'm tired of the excuses. No one put a gun to Jack's head and said "make a Hobbit pin". I love The Hobbit, but let's face it, the movies pale next to LOTR. The world would have gone on without a pin based on it, plastered with PR stills from the film and actor's faces.
As a theme for a pin it's a great idea! As a movie product it's okay. If they licensed the book instead, and did original art for it? Like Rankin Bass style? Or watercolor. Or whatever, but not photoshopped heads. Yeah, it won't have a big movie billboard on it. Tell me people wouldn't buy and play that still.
Whatever, I'm sure that wasn't an option, it's just an example, and it's too late now, I look forward to the completed project still. But companies, are you listening? F this studio promo PR photoshop shit. If your theme will require it, then stop, and pick another one. If you must do licenses, be imaginative, pick ones that will give you freedom to make something incredible. We'll buy it. Find partners who think the right way. Stern did it with Metallica, and it turned into IMHO one of the best games they've ever made.

While your post has merit consider this point: where would JJP have obtained his movie footage from the LCD screen had they licensed the books and not the movie?

I love hand drawn art, but we have to be reasonable in prioritizing what we want. Do we want HD movie clips or dots. I prefer LCD to DMD.

#1993 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Same place they will get it for Pat's game - original animation or video.

That is going to cost crazy money. Time will tell how it will be implemented in Pats game, we do not know enough at this point to really comment on that - it is just substituting unknowns in my view.

6 months later
#5101 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

From Jack from the JJP forum:
'We have two Hobbits heading to shows this weekend - I'll be in Michigan with one (MGC is the other show) - programming coming along - first articles and parts coming in - it's happening.'

Great news. I have not been following this thread recently but I'd like to get the game when made. Delays are never fun but they come hand and hand with manufacturing...sadly.

2 weeks later
#5608 8 years ago

Ugh, I haven't checked this thread in over a week...the trolling seems to have picked up. Please pm a mod when you see clear trolling and remember...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#5713 8 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Not really understand that anti china sentiment.
They stepped up massively. They have good and bad supliers, just like in the rest of the world.

They do have good suppliers, but they also have limited legal recourse as far as Americans are concerned.

Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Didn't jack just allude to the fact that he's got the Star Wars Licence??? Isn't Star Wars the exact situation all over again, all three new movies not yet released and IP assets may not be available.
I don't get it
QSS

I'm sure if he has the license it would be for just the first movie, not the entire trilogy.

#5859 8 years ago

Looks fantastic! Wow that game has come a long way!

#5876 8 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Does anyone know if JJP will build these concurrently with WOZ or will they need to overhaul the one line. I think the success of WOZ is delaying the build start of the Hobbit.
I don't buy the bs that Jack cant afford to build the hobbit pins.
The animations must take ages more to program, design than a dot matrix display.
Machine looks great by the way.

I've heard they can be built concurrently. I do not believe they will be though. Jack has built a lot of WOZ's the past couple of years. How much more demand is there for WOZ at this moment?

1 month later
#6490 8 years ago
Quoted from eXidy:

Pix I took at the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown

I will be all over this game when a distro I trust has one ready to ship. Instant order for me then, whenever it is.

2 weeks later
#6716 8 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

start a new thread guys. this is supposed to be for Hobbit updates.

Agreed. Please start a new thread in the off topic section about this car matter.

#6763 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Also, can one of the mods delete the linked games to this thread?

Yea, I will delete those when I'm reunited with a CPU if another mod doesn't see them and delete them first.

1 month later
#7528 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

I mean trust, that indeed has to be earned.
Not seeing that happen at the moment.

JJP had some start up pains, no doubt, pinball is hard.

The biggest problem JJP had with WOZ PR was how long it took to satisfy the preorders. They eventually delivered on every game and that was good, then TH got delayed seemingly indefinently. Now, TH would seem to be back on track and that is great.

I've long said I'm a buyer for TH once it is available at a distributor I trust for instant delivery. I look forward to the game.

#7529 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

He did say they were contractually obligated to ship when the third movie came out.
People expected that to happen. It didn't. More delays followed. Hence, frustration.

This is true and was never really explained by anyone (and it did give a lot of people ammo to say "I told you so", which is never good), but a lot more people than just Jack said this, many of the people that work for him trumpeted this as well.

Doesn't really bother me, perhaps it was true but delays with the studio approving use of assets or something resulted in an extension. Perhaps the requirement was just to have a demo done or something less than shipping games to customers. I just don't know, never saw the contract.

3 weeks later
#8001 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

But seriously, Stern is gonna upstage TH with GOT and snipe away tons of current and future sales.

Only if it has the LCD display. Absent the LCD display I don't think GoT will have that big of impact on TH.

If GoT is LCD and beats TH to market...

#8049 8 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Nice to see the off-topic forum is doing well.

JJP could have filled this thread with news and buzz had this past weekend been what we were lead to believe it might be.

Regarding the discussion of Stern's LCD display as it relates to the Hobbit, I personally don't feel it's off topic. Stern's employees have been hinting that GoT is going to surpass the Hobbit and have this massive BOM with a dragon ball lock and what not...now we hear that GoT might not have an LCD display like the Hobbit will...

Directly relevant? Nope. Ballpark relevant? In lack of other news I'd say it's certainly ballpark relevant. Similar themes. Supposed to have a similar release date (though now it seems GoT will beat it to market). Similar price points. Rival development teams.

The lack of an LCD display will mean GoT is less likely to poach customers off the NIB market from TH.

#8053 8 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Nice to know a mod team member views the lack of on topic material the right to post anything they want anywhere despite the thread subject.

Read my post again. I think it's related topic. My opinion. Sorry you don't share it.

2 months later
#8929 8 years ago

Well if the rumor of tomorrow is true that is the best pinball news I've heard in awhile. I guess we will know tomorrow.

#8952 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

I pre-ordered 8 pins, 8 I tells ya. Never again!
WOZ
Hobbit
MG
RAZA
Predator
P3
Nemo
MM-R
My success rate on these to date (1 of 8 received, 3 of 8 court cases, 4 of 8 nearly there, honest) has been somewhat less high than I would have liked. On the plus side, Nemo (with gold plating!) should be completed by end-Nov, and I may get it by Xmas, assuming islamic bandits don't get to it first I also got into collecting jukeboxes while waiting for these pins, which has been fun. One of these jukes was used in a West End show recently in which Ben Whishaw (who plays Q) was stripped down to his underpants and got tied to it, but I digress. That's Ben for you.
More seriously, making new pins is a slow and painful business. I certainly wouldn't contemplate such an endeavour.
Yep, I'm drunk in the jacuzzi again. Soz.

That's a very interesting post (and I mean about the success to lawsuit comparison, not Ben Whishaw being tied naked to your juke box)!

I preordered just Predator so my success rate is 0-1. I'm going to get on the P3 bandwagon though when it is ready.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 25.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1?tu=tigerlaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.