47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thewool.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3169 9 years ago

Look stunning, and in the lighting of a pinroom will look amazing. Am imagining the lights picking up the gold accents.

#3173 9 years ago

Nice mock up, with teeth and lighting effects Smaug will look fantastic.

JJP have really listened to feedback here.

edit: yes awesome job Matt!

#3176 9 years ago

PinPatch has a point, with just a small piece of neck he would look more 'whole'.

3 weeks later
#3517 9 years ago

Has anyone seen the seaside bronze up close, it looks like an off-black.

Edit: i haven't seen it in real life, just going by the photos available

#3519 9 years ago

Good idea and I would but it won't get to the UK before Dec 31st

#3529 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Wireforms match the armor powdercoating on both machines. That's one big reason I'm sticking with my LE...the dark bronze powdercoat looks SO much better against the playfield. I really don't know what people are seeing in the gold, but to each his own.

Hey there bzb, I know bronze and I know dark, but the colour of the LE is not dark bronze. It looks somewhere between metallic black and grey.

#3539 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm not in on Hobbit, and I haven't seen the gold powder coat in person.
But the glossy Smaug cabinet at Expo looked bad ass. That would be the one I'd have if I was buying.

Cheers For chipping in Aurich, I trust both your eye and judgement. Can get back to enjoying Christmas now...

4 months later
#5790 8 years ago

Still don't know about those daft things on the slingshots, what are they trying to accomplish? Game looks good though.

Edit: that colour scheme fits the game much better than the gold, nice.

2 weeks later
#6101 8 years ago

Not bothered either way with the news, would rather just had the money in the bank for this length of time. Cheers?

#6184 8 years ago

There are a lot of dispersions being cast on Jack from people who are reading into comments posted on the interweb. I would say if people are really not happy call him up and talk to him man to man instead of just whinging on a pinball website. I did, and it certainly helped me to make a decision one way or the other.

#6263 8 years ago

SE looks tacky in gold with the same artwork overkilled 3 times. LE is earthy and manboobalicious.

#6265 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You forgot scrotumalicious. LOL! Plus, you can see Gandalf, what 4-5 times at once!? Great composition!

Nothing wrong with a good saggy scrotum...

#6309 8 years ago

I started off thinking about the pf protector... but I have one on my LOTR - it causes horrible reflections (even with invsiglass), gets crap behind it and worst of all it does affect ball phyics I don't care what anyone says.

My pf is going commando on my Hobbit!

#6314 8 years ago

It's funny that some people say the feel of the ball is the same with or without the protector, I'm not in that camp... Maybe some people are just more sensitive to having a pf protector than others.

Pinball machines (like couches!!) have a lifespan. Anything that limits enjoyment in order to prolong that lifespan is redundant imo.

note: in an operator environment it's about protecting your investment against hooligans, different story....

1 week later
#6381 8 years ago

QRs are a gimic and will be redundant in my machine's home use.

Stern are really raising the bar with their recent social media campaign and cool little innovations. Come on JJP!!

1 week later
#6503 8 years ago
Quoted from karl:

I have been pondering back and forth in my mind for a long time now, after seeing the LE model in the recent show videos.
Finally decided to revert back to LE from SE. I just have this feeling that the silver look will suit the game better.
I used to think that the SE cabinet decals was enough for me to go down that route but I have kinda warmed up a bit to the LE decals, over time.
They are far from perfect but they do not bother me like they first did and they present more variation. Funny how having all the extra time makes you change perspective
I now think that the overall feel will just be to dark with not enough variation, and also a bit dragon overkill, perhaps?

You took the words right out of my brain. I also switched from SE to LE, the overall tone and colours are perfect for the theme. I love the colours of the habitrails, can't wait to see them in person.

The only thing I might do if I have the spare cash is order a gold Smaug toy as I honestly preferred that.

#6506 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Ahh...finally people are starting to come over to the dark side!!!
I had a lot of people tell me I'm crazy when I didn't change my order over to the SE. "You can NEVER have too much Smaug!" they said.
Um...yes you can. And that mustardy gold still makes me want to puke.

beelzeboob I always saw the method in your madness, it must be those hypnotic canine eyes of yours...

1 week later
#6631 8 years ago

I can totally see why he's not keen on pinside. Some people here shit on him and his business every chance they get.

#6638 8 years ago
Quoted from danisme:

If he wants to criticize individuals that's his prerogative, but I don't like the jabs at "Pinside" as a whole since not everyone on Pinside is a jerk or an enemy of JJP. Personally I think he should limit the editorial content and just share facts and information.

He's not silly enough to be talking to the whole of Pinside, for example I know he's not referring to me. But there is a core of people here who just love to yank his chain.

2 weeks later
#6983 8 years ago

... and there was me stupidly thinking all this activity was relating to a Hobbit pinball machine update.

#7207 8 years ago

Looking at WOZ and FT they are in a totally different leagues in terms of licence and production values, so the difference in price can be justified for me. I hope Alien closes this gap.

1 month later
#7818 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Heighway just shipped the first customer Full Throttle. Being unboxed today.
It was on the show floor at Expo last year with Hobbit, both prototype games. Both totally playable, but not really done, and with a lot of tweaks in their futures.
My point isn't to say that Full Throttle "won". It wasn't a race really. Rather I'm saying look, there was the game, playable, and this is how long it took to ship it.
Now that I'm working on a game myself I'm really very sympathetic to how long this shit takes. You can think you know it, but when you're inside you just see how many crazy things can go wrong, and how many of them are totally out of your control, even if you're being careful, planning, and doing things the "right way".
I'm not big on cutting Jack slack, I think he's been less than truthful with people here, and constantly shits on this community. And who knows if he's been totally broke before this cash infusion. But there are good people working on this game. Passionate, long-time supporters of pinball, who do awesome work. I'm sure they'll come through.

I think the only difference here is one was a heavily licensend machine, one wasn't. Last week I got a glimpse of what HP are striving to achieve with Alien but licensing is still waiting in the wings so time will tell, I really hope it works out. I saw some pretty amazing things early on with TH but which later got slashed or had to totally redone as they did not fit with the brand or they did not get permission for. I'm in for an Alien LE and am being cautiously optimistic, whatever happens I know it will not be due to the passion and talent at HP, the same goes for TH and JJP.

Also Jack doesn't need me to defend him but I think it's harsh to say he constantly shits on this community. He loves pinball and the people in pinball or I don't think he would be in this so far. And let's be honest there are some people in this community who are absolute morons, trolls, shit-stirrers, etc. however you want to label them. They just thrive on disrupting threads with no real reason, these people deserve to be shitted on from a great height imo

#7822 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's a legit point. Licensing is a struggle, no question. Alien has definitely been slowed down by it. But pinball in general is just a complicated endeavor, even once you've solved the licensing problems. Anyways, like I said, not trying to set the two up as a race with Hobbit losing, just saying that even after you've seen and played a pretty complete feeling game it can take a long time to get the real thing in your house.
I know that Keith and JP and David Thiel and everyone else have put in a ton of hard work, and they're pinball heroes, and I'm sure the end product will show it.

It's not harsh, it's a fact. He craps on Pinside constantly. In emails, in forum posts, in private conversations, at shows, in presentations up on stage that are video broadcasted worldwide. Over and over and over. Calls us "Wrongside", mocks us, whatever. It's childish and petty and I wish he'd knock it off, because it really hurts the JJP brand.

I take your point, but I would still say some of that is deserved for some people on here. The speculation about the financial situation of his company, accusations about his character and buisness practices, etc. then all the trolls jump on the bandwagon. I'm a JJP customer and I know his comments are not aimed at me. Any issues I've had as a customer I've phoned him up and aired my concerns/grievances and we've sorted it out privately.

#7959 8 years ago

So is this the final Hobbit, no extra Smaug plastics, no backboard decal, no Bag End? I'm in for this but this pin is so late it's starting to feel old before it's out.

Come on JJP, what's the crack?

#7974 8 years ago

Even if no hardware info then something on the code would have helped.

#8005 8 years ago

Third flipper is the Smaug kill shot.

#8121 8 years ago

People are tired of bashing JJP so let's just bash the movies whole we wait for some news...

#8183 8 years ago

I was there for Joe's speech. What a lovely bloke he is, a true pinball gent.

I think Smaug was supposed to be a real dominating toy, but it sounded like the concept was just too ambitious. You can see how crowded TH is at the moment so it would be hard to find space for a mech that actually comes through the pf and then eats balls. Great idea, just didn't work out. As far as why he left JJP he would not comment, instead he opted to keep his integrity intact. The trolls and cynicists in this thread could learn a thing or two from him.

#8189 8 years ago
Quoted from mslow:

It almost makes it harder knowing what TH could have been.

I disagree. In the development stages of anything direction can change for a number of reasons. Looking back it's easy to say that this could have been an a very different machine, etc. the fact is some ideas had to get dropped for a number of reasons whether they be tech related, licence related, etc. I would at least wait and judge the machine on it's merits instead of on concepts or ideas.

#8191 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Interesting. Hmmm. So did Peter Jackson really say to JJP that Smaug couldn't be hit by a pinball? That has always sounded crazy to me because *SPOILERS Smaug gets smashed in the head with pots filled with gun powder, has hot liquid gold poured all over him and has a giant iron arrorw shot through his heart. After all of that no way in he'll could a pinball hit him right? lol
I believe I also heard that Jack said the original Smaug toy that got rejected by Jackson was already done but to be honest the Smaug toy shown at Expo last year looked very unfinished. I guess it's possible that the Smaug toy shown at Expo was a quick mockup due to Jackson's rejection of the more interactive version.
Has Joe Balcer said anything about Smaug being more interactive in the original design?

He never really commented about anything being cut due to licensing. It sounded like more down to the fact that a huge Smaug could be made to emerge through the pf to take balls of that 360 ramp, just couldn't happen and you can see why.

I had the chance to chat with him in private the next day and asked him what his inspiration was for the drop target arrays. He said he always tried to introduce something unique in his game designs. The ability to be individually dropped/reset is that unique element in TH, i'm really keen to see how this will be implemented.

#8227 8 years ago

There are also two words standing in the the way of GOT killing The Hobbit - Keith Johnson

#8324 8 years ago

Interesting to see the influence (hesitate to use the word plagiarism) of TH on the pro with regards to the ramps. Knowing this has been blatantly copied cheapens it slightly, was hoping to see something more unique. Not blown away with either to be honest.

#8328 8 years ago

You're right Rick, but my first reaction was "I've already seen this" which naturally negates an urge to be interested in ordering it. I think they missed a trick to come with something fresh and exciting. This smells of lack of ideas.

Once could even say the other models resemble WOZ but that is more than a stretch... if they had come with something more unique and progressive I may have been interested. Until then my money stays with Middle Earth.

#8408 8 years ago

Sticking with the LE, it just looks like it has a bit more class. You can have too much of the same dragon, although the new gold is much better.

1 week later
#8498 8 years ago

Looks great, good stuff JJP

#8507 8 years ago

God that looks absolutely awful, I'm cancelling my LE pre-order for a GOT Pro...

... said no one ever

#8520 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

GOTvsHOBBIT.jpg

When GOT grows up it wants to be a Hobbit.

2 weeks later
#8792 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Someone should put up the comparison between the Stern video mode DMD and the gold SE dragon graphics on LCD I know I know it doesn't make it more fun to play or contribute to the all around experience And don't worry I love me some Stern but it's really getting ridiculous.

Even with their first LCD machine Stern will be playing catch up to JJP from here on out. By that time JJP's base code will have matured so much. I think if nothing else the gap between the two companies will widen, they are leagues apart in terms of the product they offer. One is quality over quantity, the other quantity over quality, with the choice up to the buyer...

6 months later
#9624 8 years ago
Quoted from Biv:

Isn't that how it's supposed to be?
I almost wet my pants when I hear the knocker of modern Stern machines, but not because of it's loudness.....

Also when you think back to the complaints levelled at WOZ's knocker. Now it sounds like nobody can complain

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thewool.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1?tu=thewool and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.