47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider statsdoc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1044 9 years ago

If you look at the playfield art, you will notice that as you move up the playfield, the "art" goes dark blue, as in solid dark blue. That is contrary to what I have seen on pins in the past, and makes me think that there is some reason that the art was toned down so as to not compete or conflict with "art" above the playfield. If I was going to design a pin with attention-getting details/toys/features mounted on the playfield, the last thing I would do is create a playfield below them with a lot of busy artwork.

Thoughts anyone?

1 month later
#1292 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Rather interesting to see where the adjustable scoop the ball directs after kicker launch....
According to the tales the Dragon can only be killed by that single shot with the dragon-arrow bla bla.. Anyway hitting the targets on the right side makes no sense. But after seeing the ball gets directed to that upper right flipper, would indicate you have ONE opportunity to hit Smaug just right to defeat him.
So the ball is hold by the outlane pin, hit left button to launch ball and perfectly time your right flipper shot right after to hit Smaug on that 'certain' spot. Right?

Dragon_shot.jpg 250 KB

I had thought that the "aim-able" outlane kicker was removed from the game in a subsequent update. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

#1303 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Who am I standing with?

LOL. You are now responsible for the Coke on my keyboard. Unexpected and great response.

3 months later
#1502 9 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Note to self: Buy Escalera...buy Escalera....

WOZ was the easiest pin I have ever moved. Two of us took it apart into the playfield, the cabinet, and the head, easily carried each part up some difficult stairs, and put it back together. 30 minutes and no hernia. I wish all pins were this detachable. Good design IMHO.

1 week later
#1881 9 years ago

This thread becomes incoherent when you put a certain individual on your "ignore user list", but it does make for some interesting reading.

P.S. Don't bother responding if you are ignored, I won't see it anyway.

1 month later
#2229 9 years ago

Is the studio giving JJP the freedom to create new lines (i.e. Smaug taunting you like the witch in WOZ)? If JJP is limited to movie lines, then I would guess the repetition is going to be obvious at some point while playing. While denigrated by some, I think the custom lines for the characters in WOZ make that pin so much better, and there are so many different lines that any repetition is mitigated to a large degree. I know that the cost of hiring the actors seems prohibitive (I am not opening that "can of worms"), but wonder if the studio will even allow JJP to record new material by voice impressionists.

If it isn't obvious, my biggest concern with this pin is the limits that the studio is placing on JJP, not what JJP is capable of creating or producing.

1 week later
#2707 9 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Unless I missed the post, nobody has yet discussed the return rail on the left side of the playfield (it leads to the left outlane/kicker)....looks like the mechanism that is supposed to place the ball on that rail is still missing...any ideas as to what is will be? I'm not sure if this was even mentioned on that list of "updates yet to come"...

I have been wondering this myself, then thinking I must have missed something as it is never brought up.

Clarification would be much appreciated if Alex or Keith or anyone else from JJP would like to comment, even if it is a "something exciting is still coming" comment.

#2772 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

... For $7500+ I want a pinball machine to have multiple unique things that interact with the ball. WOZ does that in a variety of ways but I'm just not feeling that with The Hobbit right now. There are a lot of people out there that prefer flow over stop and go and vice versa. I'm glad that JJP is trying to please everyone with games that offer different styles of play. I tend to prefer WOZ style games at these price points which is why I'm holding out for Pats game.

The question is whether the pre-pay discount will go away as JJP gets to the point of rolling out pins more like Stern. There was a notable discount for WOZ and Hobbit if you were willing to take a chance with Jack, which has paid off. In the future, the "chance" opportunity may go away. So ... are the prices we see for Hobbit today ($8k+) going to be the starting price for Pat's game? We shall see.

1 month later
#3530 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Neither and I'm pretty sure it will be. It's neither polished nor matte. It's an aged gold look purposefully. Iron pyrite base which is a real metal not a fake flake.

Alex,
Is there a gold that you can point to at prismaticpowders.com that approximates the gold on the SE? I liked the gold on the early renditions on the JJP website, but the latest picture looks more brassy. I am curious what the color will look like in person.

Thank you.

#3533 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

This right here. +1

Darin, You are I are in the same boat ... and both have orders with Buddy. I like the SE, but am wavering based on the color of the trim in the last pic which is the most recent. The first (older) pic is much better than the second in my opinion. Alex, any insight you can provide is much appreciated

hobbit_se_2-531.pnghobbit_se_2-531.png
336127-i-98.jpg336127-i-98.jpg

1 month later
#4211 9 years ago

I like the red Smaug, but he isn't really that red in the movie ... or the book. I am sticking with the gold Smaug in my SE.

1 week later
#4381 9 years ago

My understanding is that Hobbit will be as WOZ in that it will have separate components that can be taken apart and reconstructed easily. Buddy's (Doughslinger) people helped me take apart my WOZ when it was delivered and it was very simple to move upstairs past some challenging corners. It went back together flawlessly in less than thirty minutes. There were three parts: the cabinet, backbox, and playfield. I will be doing the same with Hobbit.

1 month later
#4869 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Because it could have been a home run and it's looking like a double, and I think its mostly due to the speech only Smaug "toy". A fully interactive Smaug toy, would have been an easy triple, and a base steal with code.
Hopefully JJP can steal some bases with the code. I am still hopeful. And no I haven't played it, but I have played games with more toys and games with less toys and I find more toys a bit compelling, also I do not consider each individual drop target a separate toy. Put that all together and it just some guarded optimism.
I still think it can overcome these shortcomings if the code can do some amazing tricks. I'm looking forward to trying it at Allentown hopefully the line isn't too long, but also hoping the code is complete enough at that time so that I don't get discouraged.
I am a little annoyed myself, but I think my annoyance is more directed at the limited vision of Peter Jackson and the license holders than JJP.

Wow! +1,000,000
Thank you for so eloquently putting my feelings in words!

1 week later
#5087 9 years ago

Every day I see the number of new postings in this forum and I can't help but look, thinking...
perhaps this is the day that we get a Hobbit update.

Every day I close the thread knowing that I was fooled once again.

I think this thread is making me neurotic.

#5102 9 years ago

Dang! I saw the posts and, not being able to stop myself, I checked again ... nothing.

This is becoming obsessive-compulsive.

#5170 9 years ago

I know this may sound like I am echoing a number of you, but the purchase of Hobbit is really coming down to a couple of issues that I have not yet worked out in my head. I would really appreciate any insights from those of you that have played the game, and particularly those that saw the raw WOZ early on and watched it transform into (IMHO) a great pin.
1) The videos on the Hobbit feels more like a chance for Peter Jackson to rerun Hobbit outside the movie theater. I am not a fan of the Wizard of Oz movie, but the clips from the movie augment the game nicely without taking over the LCD. I don't get the same feeling from Hobbit. I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, but am not actually going to see the last Hobbit movie as I thought the first two were meh, and I honestly figure I will see enough of the third Hobbit movie when I play pinball.
2) On the other hand, I am up against my self-imposed budget of $7500 on a pin. If Pat's game comes out higher (seems highly likely) then I am out on new JJP pin purchases. The Hobbit may be my last chance to get a JJP pin in a long while. I am currently in at $7500 for a Hobbit SE.
3) While the game does seem floaty, I do set my pins at 8 degrees, so that should speed things up. I am still unsure if that will be enough to make a difference.
4) I want to be immersed in the Hobbit story when I play. I love STTNG for that reason. WOZ is good at this, but not great. Hobbit should be great at this, but I am not seeing it in the current configuration. My tendency is to believe that Keefer will come through here, but it is not a certainty. The current modes seem pretty random.

I appreciate any thoughts and comments.

#5171 9 years ago

I should add that I liked what I saw in the battle of Bilbo and the dwarfs against the three trolls. When the video reacts to target hits, that is cool. That would immerse me in the battle and motivate me to hit targets within a certain time. That has been my favorite reveal from the pin so far, but I no longer see it on the videos of the live game.

I am also excited to see what Keefer does with the drop targets, which is yet to be revealed.

#5212 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

8 degrees is crazy steep. Any pin set up like that isn't playing anywhere close to how the designer intended in my opinion.

It makes for one hell of a fun game that way

#5229 9 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

The ball was moving around slow enough that the ball would change course because of the roll overs similar to a lifted insert.

It looks like I will be setting the incline of the playfield to 15 degrees on this pin.

#5249 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You are right, a lot of people will shrug and accept it.
Which is sad, really.

True, but what are the options at this point? If you step out of your order, you will lose the discount from getting in early ... and the game seems to be getting better.

There has to be a good colloquialism to use here ...

Good things come to those that wait ... er ... patience is a virtue ... er ...

Wait, I got it ... nothing good ever came out of a pre-order.

#5264 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

The audio on hobbit will be the bad ass when its done...

I hope so. The major missing piece is the callouts ... and that is absolutely critical. A Gandalf sound-alike would be fabulous.

Jersey Jack doing an Orc impression would not be so fabulous.

#5276 9 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

This was a message from Ted Estes on the JJP forums some info on the rules.
The grid in the middle of the screen keeps track of the 31 "Book Modes", each of which is tied to a scene in one of the three movies. Each Book Mode is qualified with one or more of: ELF, MAN, DWARF, Bilbo, Gandalf, Radagast. The lit qualifiers are shown in the center top of the screen. Some modes will only be available after other modes are played. The grid shows the state of each Book Mode: unavailable (dark/greyed out), available (lighter), played (colour w/border). The "lit" Book Mode is highlighted on the grid, and also shown on the book display.
The Beast Hurry-Up rule is separate from Book Modes. Same with spotting Dwarves and Smaug Multiball.
We are auditioning for a Gandalf sound-alike now to do the pinball-specific call outs.

This message solidified my purchase. I am not looking back now. Thank you Ted

#5280 9 years ago

They need this guy ...

#5306 9 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Excellent job picking this up! I also noticed that when Smaug is breathing fire that a flame animation rolls across the book LCD. I can only imagine how this "fire breathing orange insert effect" will look in a darkened room when fully implemented.

I can imagine Keith making the shots illuminated in Smaug's fire breath as negative point shots (i.e. You want to avoid being turned into toast.)

I can't wait to see how he is going to program all of this. This may well turn out to be Keith's magnum opus.

#5314 9 years ago

Ted Estes just indicated that the guy from the video (I posted earlier) is on the audition list and is being considered for the voice talent for the callouts. Yeah!

#5334 9 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

... but it should have when the game was on the drawing board and the first "the upper flipper is useless" remark went up waaaaaaaaay back at the beginning. That's been IGNORED since day one… why??? OR why not put something on the left for it to shoot at like a scoop, Troll, ramp anything?
Right now its a mess; useless flipper ...

He does make a good point. There should be something to regularly aim at with that top flipper. Perhaps it is coming in the code, but I don't see it. With WOZ, there are shots from that top right flipper that are difficult but only possible from that flipper (i.e. into the haunted forest) and shots that are best taken from that flipper (i.e. the witch). I don't see that in Hobbit ... but I trust that Keith will find a way to incorporate the flipper somehow. He deserves the benefit of the doubt here.

4 weeks later
#6057 8 years ago

I am sure hoping that one of the modes in the game features the skirmish between Galadriel, Elrond, Saruman and the nine witchkings at Dol Guldur. That is a great scene. As much as I dislike Saruman in LOTR, he kicks a$$ in that scene:

C'mon Keefer, make it so.

2 weeks later
#6333 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I understand exactly what you are saying. That wouldn't work for me, but I get it. When you have your Hobbit sitting in your home, you can look at it and have memories of how it developed and changed over that two year period, the ups and downs, the Pinside drama, the waiting, the initial disappointment of the Smaug "reveal" with subsequent improvements based on feedback, etc.

That will be better memories than the nightmare of those who may eventually manage to have a Magic Girl sitting in their house.

2 weeks later
#6511 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am going to stay with the SE version - guess I will be the only one with it
Perhaps I will just have the alt color versions of the pins as I prefer the red Oz over the green.
I am spending so much on it - perhaps I can just tell the wife that the thing is made of real gold

I probably prefer the LE overall with more scenes ... I just can't stand looking at nutsack king and remembering that stupid part of the first movie (IMHO) and my wife does not want to see the white orc. So ... the decision is made for me I guess.

#6520 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Here's what I see when I look at the SE:
DragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonHobbitDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragon
(Can you spot the Hobbit???)

You know, for movies titled The Hobbit, there wasn't really a lot of Hobbit in them. Frodo and the other hobbits had more interesting parts in the Lord of the Rings movies, and that didn't even have Hobbit in the title.

1 week later
#6604 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I still wonder if the far left side of the game is complete as the brochure doesn't show the entire playfield. Perhaps some type of molding representing Smaugs tail is going on the far left rail? I did notice that the Hobbit flyer says "subject to change with or without notice".
The Wizard of Oz brochure is done extremely well, shows the entire playfield and explains the features on the game. The Hobbit flyer lacks the same punch in my opinion.
Hopefully each version of The Hobbit has it's own flyer created that shows more of the game then the current one. That approach was done with WOZ and it worked out very well.
flyer.JPG

I think that an upgrade to the current left top of the pin is wishful thinking ... but that does not mean that you are the only one wishing.

#6609 8 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

That would be great!

Not for my wallet.

1 month later
#7449 8 years ago

How long do playfields need to cure after clearcoat is applied? Can they be installed in a pinball machine within weeks?

#7480 8 years ago

Any updates on the voice talent?

3 weeks later
#7958 8 years ago

I know I personally am losing faith. I was hoping for at least an update on production and some news about voice talent.

#7971 8 years ago

What bothers me is that Jack trumpets an accomplishment when it occurs, but has nothing to trumpet now. At this point, no news implies bad news as in that nothing has progressed, not that there is no news.

I was excited that he found new investors, and that information was shared and celebrated. But now, no news at the open house doesn't sit well as I know if there was good news, it would have been shared.

1 week later
#8287 8 years ago

Has anyone been keeping track of the modes we have seen to date? I haven't seen the troll fireside battle in action, but the videos showing it proceed as you get hits was impressive. I am not sure what you have to hit though and assume that it is still in the software.

Not so impressive was a mode I saw on a video that requested you alternate sides on hitting targets. Also bash the orc repeatedly on the orc interogation seemed pretty simplistic. I know pins need a blend of mode dificulty level, but I haven't seen any modes on any posted videos yet that grabbed my attention.

What have you all seen? It would be nice to have a feel for the level that these modes are embedded into the story. I think that is what gets me on the early release of videos. It is "get three locks and fight Smaug" over and over again. It makes the pin look less interesting than it probably is.

4 months later
#9130 8 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

I thought the LE and the SE were getting ramps/habitrails to match the armor. Did that get dropped?

I think Alex indicated that it is not realistic to powdercoat ramps, but the habitrails are supposed to match.

2 months later
#9501 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Good point. I forget that code is only at .81 release. WOZ code wasn't great starting out but turned out amazing! I'm sure Hobbit will be as well with Keefer on it.

My thinking exactly. My WOZ was okay when I first got it, but the code kept getting better and better over time. While I would not have likely kept it if it still had the initial code, it is not going anywhere now. It is too deep and compelling at this point.

2 months later
#9802 7 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Late midlife crisis coming on, thinking of getting a new motorcycle. I have a Hobbit SE with upgraded cabinet decals and the PF protector coming supposed to be in July. Who wants it for $9500? (shipping on you from NC or could possibly have it shipped to you direct from JJP if they'll play ball) Price I paid is delivered to NC.

That's funny, my midlife crisis is probably why I am buying pins.

GLWS

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider statsdoc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1?tu=statsdoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.