47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#882 10 years ago

Multi - ball animation is cool.

This game already looks so much better than WOZ.

The shots already look so much more interesting. I can feel myself wanting one!

1 month later
#1112 9 years ago

It gets too expensive to pay 2 designers at the rate games are being made, surely?

4 months later
#1508 9 years ago

334.jpg334.jpg

Decent figures.

#1666 9 years ago

Whatever people's opinions on these, how come Stern release an $8k WD pin with the cheapest, awful pop bumper caps and no one says a thing? I detest those pop bumper caps with the led's poking out. Doesn't stop me buying games as they can be modded but a free pass for those?

1 week later
#1905 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I said that Metallica is the only modern Stern pro to offer metal ramps and rails. That's not the case with other pro's for some reason. Metallica also has several unique interactive toys / features yet that's not the case with every pin the company makes.
Also, I posted the picture because Stern is advertising metal ramps and rails as a feature. Have you ever seen them mention plastic ramps as a game feature? Like I said there's nothing wrong with plastic ramps and rails at the pro price point. However, at the higher price points metal ramps and rails is nice option to have as it helps to justify the price. We see the same type of things with car companies all the time. Standard rims and cloth seats on a regular model but chrome rims and leather seats on a higher end one.

And that is why Metallica is the best bang for buck pro Stern have made

1 month later
#2688 9 years ago

Much improved, much better art.

But, but, while it's still proto - the gold smaug kind of looks like it popped out of an Xmas cracker. It looks cheap, tacky, gaudy.

Get one of those guys who paints warhammer to shade and texture it and it will look a million times better

This is meant as constructive criticism as changes are still being made it seems.

DSC00144.jpgDSC00144.jpg 04-red-dragon.jpg04-red-dragon.jpg
1 month later
#3711 9 years ago

Must admit compare Hobbit to Wrestlemania - they look like they are made in different decades!
I am not buying either but I know where I would put my money if I was. DMD is really antiquated now.

2 months later
#5008 9 years ago

Must admit I am surprised how late this game is. July 2014 originally, then Dec 2014 and now? Yes, worth waiting longer for a better game but from a long term business perspective, delayed products are worrisome.

2 weeks later
#5493 9 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I highly doubt the distributors who have Hobbit on order are paid in full (which probably accounts for the majority of the games). No way. But aside from that, it has already been 2 and a half years since the announcement of Hobbit and the start of taking pre-orders. How many people at JJP are salaried employees and what would your guess of average salary be? How many hourly workers are there? How much does a factory of that size cost monthly to keep open? How much money is spent on marketing, travel, WOZ warranty support, etc. etc.? How much profit do you think JJP can make on any one game? I think they probably lost money on the 1000 ECLE WOZ's (especially considering the number that were sold at the initial $6500 price point.) Considering how efficient and disciplined (particularly on BOM cost) Stern has had to become to turn a profit (much less stay alive) I just can't see how JJP is not struggling financially.
In the end, all I'm saying is it would be nice for some industry veterans to do some analysis based on their own experience and try to quantify just how real the risk is for customers.

Not sure there is a need to do a risk analysis.

Of course there is risk and it gets higher as more time goes by.

If people don't like risk, simple, don't pre-order! Instead do the crazy thing of buying a game when it's available and in stock

1 month later
#6141 8 years ago

Hope Hobbit comes out soon. Really though there are too many red flags for my liking.

2014-08-24-Redflag-thumb.jpg2014-08-24-Redflag-thumb.jpg
#6180 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I tend to agree with you, but I'm actually starting to disconnect Jack with the machine. I bet he's been diluted further than we know. I wouldn't be surprised if the company moves on into the future without him. Just thinkin' out loud.

If he has received a cash injection, shouldn't he announce? Even if he has been diluted big time, a cash injection is a positive.

#6220 8 years ago

Good luck to those on Hobbit pre-order but the risk/reward ratio has changed big time in 2015.

#6253 8 years ago

This is the quietest period I can remember from JJP. Very odd.

#6261 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Jack has been posting in the google group.

I know but everything said is so vague.

Anyway, hope to play Hobbit before end of this year

1 month later
#6629 8 years ago

There are 601 pinsiders who own Woz and yet Jack just criticizes pinside

#6634 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Should he not express an opinion?

He can do what he likes.

For me some of the comments are too general and a bit unprofessional but let the show roll on

4 weeks later
#7395 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Note to Shapeshifter: Stop writing with invisible ink.

1 month later
#7907 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

yes and you don't have your balls on the line financially tied to a company that people are trying to hurt.... do I say on purpose I don't mean anything by this, just to point out it can go on forever depending on your OWN opinions and where you are coming from. Jack sometimes deserves what he gets and perhaps so do others on here, myself included. Point is no ones right, no ones wrong, they are all opinions and we are all allowed to have them. Now arguing about them...............

Jack hasn't said a word on here since the cash infusion deal...........

1 week later
#8285 8 years ago

What Stern do well, is catch people in the 'got to have that now' feeling. Show everything and announce pricing, LE's, same day. People jump in despite incomplete code, not playing it etc. They are in the 'buzz' phase.

Whereas the Hobbit is in the 'buyer's fatigue' stage as nothing has really happened this year except delays.

Maybe Pat's game will be more shock and awe, order now as shipping in next 3 months.

We shall see.

#8374 8 years ago

It does look way more impressive than GOT LE.

Will be real interesting to see which is most fun to play.

4 months later
#9175 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Wrong about what? Do tell?
Wrong about JJP stringing people along? Doubtful.
But, look at it this way:
Either JJP has misled people on the REAL production situation OR they are completely inept at production planning. Pick.
Personally, I don't think think Jack is particularly stupid or inept.... Quite the opposite. However, I DO think he has zero problem misleading folks on delivery because the "end justifies the means" in his mind. AND, more specifically, I think he knows if he had been honest with people on WoZ (and, sadly, now TH), he wouldn't be in business today.

The truth is that if any company said how long they really thought it would take, there would be no business as hardly anyone would have pre-ordered and that is how the business was funded.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 25.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1?tu=shapeshifter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.