Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#449 5 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

The longer the wait, the sweeter the taste...

Quite the opposite is my experience.

#452 5 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Yes your right... It's just from which point of view you're looking... If you KNOW upfront your getting something incredibly awesome but you have to wait for it vs. fake promises by not making dead-lines and postponed deliveries.

Exactly.

#483 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yep and while you continue to wait, games are sitting *in stock* locally at the distributor where I picked up mine a few months back. Lol.

You can definitely purchase a standard WOZ and get it delivered almost immediately if you wanted to.

#633 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I had a really nice time playing nimblepin's WOZ last night, the 3.0 code is great, very cool game. I still don't think I want one, but it's definitely fun and different, and I would like to play it some more.
One complaint though, I found the 'heat wave' effect of the color changing inserts somewhat off putting, not sure why they made it do that. I hope Hobbit doesn't have the same issue. Star Trek certainly doesn't, so it's not a technical limitation of using those lights in inserts or anything. I'm guessing they did it on purpose?

Can you try to explain the effect? Heat wave isn't registering.

#636 5 years ago

I have Invisiglass on my STLE and it definitely doesn't do what you are referring to.

#664 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Reliable: How is WOZ the highest earner at many locations if it's not reliable? Does adjusting switches / coils make it unreliable? Every pin regardless of manufacture would be deemed unreliable then. I know of a WOZ near me that was one of the first shipped yet still out earns every other pin, including modern Sterns, right next to it...

Sometimes I have to wonder if you really believe half the stuff you write about regarding WOZ.

I'm sure that you are a member at the WOZ forum, where there is plenty of talk regarding all the problems with WOZ, particularly with regard to the LED issues.

#920 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I dunno - after watching this whitewood I had a ton of questions/criticisms...but I'm just kinda sitting on it since it's clearly just an early shooting whitewood with most features "temp'd" in. Cool to see...but not sure I can judge what's to come by seeing it.

Funny, my reaction was virtually identical. Plenty to criticize but things will obviously change a lot, so there's not much reason to comment about the pin.

I personally don't think that there is much positive to come out of JJP posting these whitewood videos.

#933 5 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Probably the most negative post EVER.

Says the biggest troll on Pinside EVER.

4 weeks later
#1051 5 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

He's still there, heading up the hobbit design.

Are you sure about that?

#1079 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

You've fallen for some poor Photoshop, my comrade.

But it was on the internets so it must be real.

#1091 5 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

You keep throwing out this nonsense regarding the WOZ software updates like it's something of which JJP should be proud. The only reason WOZ required "over a dozen code updates" was because the code was seriously incomplete when the first games started to trickle out from the factory. All but the last three releases (1.2x, 2.0, 3.0) would reasonably be considered prototype level code.

Yep. It's called spin.

#1141 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Iis Balcer still at JJP or did he leave?

Quoted from Hitch9:

He's still there, heading up the hobbit design.

Quoted from RobT:

Are you sure about that?

#1150 5 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

It's unreal to me how some of you people are still on these threads drumming up shit.

Like what?

Balcer is no longer with JJP. That's a fact, not that dirty word that you said.

#1157 5 years ago
Quoted from Bartstoys:

And here's the conveniently missing part ...

Super poor taste.

Really, this is beyond ridiculous.

#1158 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

JJP mixing up their designers is a good thing, there will be more variety in their games.

I agree.

I still *really* wish that Nordman got to design a pin for JJP!

#1160 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Drunk driving.... save you the research.

In 2005 no less.

How the hell is it relevant to anything on this forum?

1 month later
#1362 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

WOZ has a lot of toys...

Tell us more!

3 months later
#1531 5 years ago

Lumpy

#1565 5 years ago

I'd be shocked if these wind up on the game as is, given this backlash.

#1575 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

And just how fast do you think they could get a new artist to do 4 of these characters (much less capable of creating thousands of copies for all games AND at a price they can live with), and get the artwork approved by the studio? They've had almost 2 years up to this point to reveal these.
If only they had looked for feeback earlier ...

Good point.

#1595 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

This looks pretty darn close if you ask me:

goblin_hobbit.jpeg 26 KB

If you think that constitutes "pretty darn close", may I suggest a visit to your optometrist?

#1603 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

So what you are saying is that all toys based on characters should be 3-D CAD drawn and made my machines then.
No human, that a pinball company can afford, is going to make them like the LOTR figures where you can see the actors likenesses despite them being 2 inches tall.

Wow. You sure went out of your way to put an awful lot of words in my mouth.

#1708 5 years ago
Quoted from jsrfo:

I generally try to stay out of the swill on these threads, and made no mention of any brand or manufacturer purposely, nor did I state anything negative towards any manufacturer or game.

You mentioned Stern, and quoted "dimestore toys and action figures" from my post in the same breath. Maybe you want to think about that. They're your words, no one else's.... You drew that conclusion.

1 week later
#2007 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The lesson here is you gotta be careful when you choose your theme. Some licenses are going to handcuff you and restrict your creative freedom. Unfortunately Hobbit was one of those, and we've already gone through what that meant. No point in beating that horse any further.
Luckily JJP was able to work around some of it, but TBL to me is what pinball art should look like. And that's a purely personal thing, but seeing that hand drawn stuff just tickles the right spots for me. And I wish Hobbit could have had it.
So it goes. We haven't even seen Hobbit populated with an attract mode running, I don't think it's entirely fair to even start comparing things.
And as much as I'm super impressed with TBL, the code is a giant mystery. Hobbit has Keefer, and he's about as far from a mystery as you can get, unless you mean "how the hell does he keep creating these incredibly complicated rule sets?"

Well said.

There will be pros and cons to each. TBL looks fantastic so far. I'm sure that there will be some people who cancel their Hobbit orders to get TBL instead.

However, while I love TBL as a movie, I'm still not convinced it's a great theme for pinball. I think Hobbit is the better theme overall. A lot of this will have to do with how well the theme is implemented though.

How much of theme implementation comes down to the code? Quite a bit. And we know Keefer can do a superb job in that regard (this is something that often seems overlooked, as everyone always talks about how deep his rulesets are, but nobody talks about how well he implements the theme) as seen by pins like LOTR, TSPP, and yes even pins like WOF, not to mention WOZ (even though I don't like the theme for a pin).

TBL is still a complete unknown when it comes to the code.

#2068 5 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

They really need to shorten production to < 12 months and eliminate the pre-payment model. Looks like #3 may bring them into that mode.

I'd be shocked if there is no pre-payment model for JJP pin #3.

#2092 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I'd want my money going into a GAME feature instead of a camera for high scores...but that's just me maybe.

I agree, and I think that this "feature" wouldn't be wanted by enough buyers to warrant the extra cost. I think it would make more sense to spend some development costs to make it feasible to just add the camera later, similar to how a shaker motor isn't included on most Stern pins. The owner can decide if they want to spend the money to add it later.

1 week later
#2137 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Right now TBL is the new pin to beat for me. Hobbit could end up the better game for sure, but in terms of what's been teased and revealed so far? TBL is my winner. Stoked to see it in person.

That pretty much mirrors my thoughts. Looking forward to both of them being made. TBL has a bit of an edge for me on theme (though I think Hobbit is great too) as well as the fact that it is a standard vs Hobbit being a wide body.

1 month later
#2709 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Casual pinball enthusiast? Is that an oxymoron...or are you simply a moron? Perhaps a flat out, stone cold dope.

Always taking the high ground.

You are one classy dude.

#2736 5 years ago

I don't give a damn what you think. Full disclosure: I don't like you one iota.

whiny.jpg
#2782 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Ball interaction toys on Hobbit:
1) 11 drop targets
2) 1 ramp diverter
3) 2 VUKs

When did things like drop targets, diverters and VUK's become "toys"?

#2785 5 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Pat's game will be released 3rd 1/4 2015. No teasers, unveiled and ready for sale. The momentum of JJP is finally getting there.

Is this true?

Does this also mean that there are no preorders for Lawlor's pin?

If so, I think this is really great news.

Then again, if Hobbit was sold without showing the prototype at Expo first, and simply sold once complete, all these improvements couldn't have been made based on the feedback provided.

#2798 5 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Pat Lawlor designing a non-licensed pin does not need feedback.

Quoted from BoJo:

I was thinking the same thing but hopefully a great designer like Pat doesn't need feedback from us to design a machine.

Even if you accept that as true, what about feedback on things like artwork? One of the main (positive) changes to Hobbit based on feedback is the PF artwork. Is Lawlor an artist? I doubt he has a ton to say about artwork.

#2800 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

No, but John Youssi is a pinball art expert. He's the artist for Pats game.

No shit?!

That's excellent news!

#2854 5 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

I agree with both of these points.
The broken concept of Smaug is the main reason I cancelled my order. It's a poor sculpt and even worse mechanics. A rotating Smaug marionette doll head is just lame in every way. I agree that something more dragon-like should've been attempted (dragon's don't spin their heads around like Howdy Doody; they twist their necks more like snakes, so just leave off the motion if you can't do it right, I say). But it is what it is at this point, and they are trying to dress it up as best they can with gold paint and what-not. As bad as the Expo Rock-head Smaug was, I actually think I prefer it to this painted gold Smaug.
For WOZ, the crystal ball is an exceeding cool design. Not only do you have an extra tiny display, which is not in any way distracting, it's in the flipper view, so you don't have to look up. It's also like a personal player monitor, because it's difficult for anyone but the player to see with the small viewing angle. For Hobbit, the "book" is just a smaller monitor directly under a bigger monitor, sort of looks added on and distracting. I guess it depends how it's used in gameplay, but that's my first reaction to it.
The Smaug toy fail was the deal-breaker for me, but if everything else is done superbly and gameplay draws me in then I certainly won't rule out a Hobbit eventually. And I honestly still can't wait to play it this weekend. I initially ordered it because of my love for the book as a kid, not to mention the awesome 80's cartoon. It's a theme I love, and maybe that's why I'm slightly overly critical of it (full disclosure).
Beyond all of that is my biggest fear: the kinetics of the game. No shots really look all that appealing, other than shooting the moving drop targets. The center ramps are just awful kinetically. When I watch gameplay video and see the U-turns constantly rattling back down, and center shot after center shot... Just doesn't look fun, I'm sorry. I feel Hobbit may suffer from lack of a Sweet Shot. Why is Balcer so opposed to placing in the sweet shot of a ramp? Especially a well-placed and paced left ramp shot, for right-handed players to get that release of a full power ramp shot right in the wheelhouse. The center ramps, perfectly symmetrical, look like something which was drawn in and looked cool in CAD but which unfortunately don't translate to great gameplay.
A nameless friend of mine text me a short, disappointing text from IAAPA yesterday:
"Played Hobbit
Horrible"
That's what I'm worried about more than the toys gone wrong. The software will be superb. Artwork looks 1000x better now. Toys are toys, and they'll grow on you, or you can ignore them. But the kinetics of great pinball gameplay can't be painted back in or added on or updated. And that's the main thing I'm worried about. The layout just doesn't look fun to me. I hope I'm wrong, though.

I don't see how anyone could summarize the current Hobbit situation better than you did here.

I do give a ton of credit to JJP for being able/willing to make as many changes as they have at this late date based on the feedback received at/since Expo.

Still...Smaug is still pretty much what it was (a disappointment), and the changes have done little to improve that (Gold Smaug might be worse?).

#2863 5 years ago

Not the best angle to see, but what are you aiming for with the upper flipper?

I don't see a shot there.

#2998 5 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Why is anyone pre ordering a game they haven't played. Can we all agree not to do that?

Obviously not.

If we actually all agreed to that, nobody would ever buy a pin since we could never play it first.

#3007 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL...of all the interactive "toys" to compare with, really, the ST ship?? It's a drop target and magnet UNDER a the ship. The ship does nothing with the ball. It's a cool "toy", but it's not interactive.

And yet...it appears to be a *much* cooler toy than what Smaug is going to be.

#3059 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

IM is old news now with the release of TWD sorry but its true.

Funny, you say that like you actually mean it.

#3085 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm hoping in five years they have all been replaced by even better pins. Sorry old timer but I think its over for the era of classics. I know most guys will disagree with that but I'm done with 90's B/W's and really any of the older pins. I tried again to enjoy some older stuff and it just felt slow and dated next to STLE and TWDLE,....

Just my opinion so take it easy

I finally had the chance to play TWD yesterday. Played it for over an hour.

I'm afraid that I will now be referring to that game as The Walking Dud.

That was the least fun pin that I have played in a very long time. The layout is terrible. The ball exiting the pops caused a SDTM drain about a third of the time. The prison magnet is stupid. I got several SDTM drains from the magnet releasing the ball. Ball is in the pops far too much. Theme implementation is absolutely horrible.

I'm so glad that I backed out of my preorder on this. Ugh.

Just my opinion so take it easy.

#3098 5 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

We pinsiders tend to be biased of course. If we bought a game or backed out of a game we tend to shape our view to match our decisions

Nope.

Call it like I see it, regardless of whether I bought, preordered, or backed out.

If anything, I would be biased towards liking TWD since I'm a huge fan of the show and I have wanted a zombie themed pin more than any other theme since being in the hobby. These are still readily available if I wanted one.

Plus: my avatar.

#3113 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Different strokes Rob, I love "the Walking Dud". I haven't had more fun playing a pin at the outset than this one, of every other pin that has come through the door.
The layout is great, because its different, the shots are "satisfying" and Lyman will do his usual great job on the rules.
Even though this is a "Hobbit Update", TWD is NOT a "dud", far from it!

Sorry bud, I'm really glad that you are enjoying yours, but it fell completely flat for me. Nothing about the pin enticed me, and the layout is a huge negative.

Edit: sorry for the hijack.

I like the updated Smaug.

#3161 5 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

» YouTube video

I think Smaug looks great. Big improvement!

But....Matt, come on man. Vertical video?!

2 weeks later
#3297 5 years ago

Looks good

#3307 5 years ago

What's the latest information in terms of when these will be on the assembly line at JJP?

#3310 5 years ago

lol

Can't believe that I missed that!

Yet another missed deadline by one of the new pin makers.

#3342 5 years ago

Why do you care? Are you in on the machine? Just let those of us actually buying TH worry about shipping and production dates. I'll wait another six months provided the final product looks good and is fun to play.

Nope, I don't play the preorder game.

That doesn't mean I'm not interested in this pin. And I don't care if you believe me or not. I will continue to give my opinions as I see fit.

Is this where you come in and tell me again that "you don't like me one iota"? Lol

#3346 5 years ago

No. It's where I admonish your grammar; the end mark of punctuation goes inside the quotation marks. If you’re going to quote me, please show some deference to proper usage.

"lol?" Are you a 16-year-old girl?

Well you sure showed me!

You so smart. Me not compete with you!

#3349 5 years ago

So, does this mean you still don't like me one iota?

#3403 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Remember looks can be very deceiving, one look at AFM and you would never think its a great game, same with many others so toys, highly populated playfields with all kinds of extra crap do not guarantee a great playing pin, IM is pretty bare bones but fun as hell. I'm seeing something unique and interesting when I look at it, gameplay cannot be judged at this point and for me not till I get it home, so we are going strictly by cosmetics right now. The controlled drop targets and pop ups will allow for what I believe will be some great gameplay. Code will dictate whether this pin is a real winner or not, just can't see it being a dud but time will tell.

Well said.

#3447 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

We all are...tomorrow is a big day. I hope at least.

So, how did that work out?

1 week later
#3535 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

It's basically in the middle of those 2. It's VERY hard to photograph and even harder to render.

Yep, a lot of powder coat colors are hard to photograph/render, but this color is probably about as hard as any of them.

#3544 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Order a free sample swatch from prismaticpowders.com

Does Prismatic really give free swatches to people other than shops who use their powder?

#3546 5 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

They sent me samples of the SE & LE

Very cool. What are the samples sprayed on? Metal? Or something else?

#3553 5 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

They are applied to a very thin piece of metal, 1" X 3"

Perfect. Spraying on something else would not show the color as accurately.

1 week later
#3640 5 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Lates I'm hearing for actual delivery of games... not till March or April..

Who are you hearing that from?

1 month later
#4186 4 years ago

Smaug is actually starting to look bad ass!

#4220 4 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

I think both Smaug's look great, quite frankly better than I thought the finished product would be!
The amount of changes and improvements that have happened since Expo are astounding, I wasn't disappointed in what I saw there at all, but they listened to what the majority was saying and I think it's pretty apparent that we will all see a better game because of it!

I agree. The delay in production is the only negative, but the improvements are worth it. Can't wait until my friend gets his. Really looking forward to playing this one!

#4295 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I think he was just typing fast to outrun the impending threadkick....
Re: TH,
Im not a prepayer, but have HUGE interest in this theme....
I have to say its improved 1000% over the last few months, but if Im being honest, I was hoping for it to eclipse WoZ (at least in appearance).... Im not feeling that.
I will say that I would probably have a considerably BETTER opinion of the game if it was just revealed today as-is.... All the hype about Smaug set very high expectations. The current iteration, while better, is still a letdown (IMO).
I look forward to playing one on location this year. (Come on Flippers in the outer banks, please tell me you have one coming!).

This very much coincides with my feelings on Hobbit.

I am very much looking forward to playing it. I am not nearly as concerned by the "open playfield" as others seem to be, as personally, that is a good thing compared to WOZ. My favorite pin of all time has an open pf (AFM) so this could wind up playing great. Have to play it to know for sure. The theme is excellent, and I love the video clips we've seen.

Pricing is a real killer though.

2 weeks later
#4499 4 years ago

No. Wrong. That's pure conjecture. Show me where JJP ever stated a contractual obligation.

Not surprisingly, it is actually you who is wrong.

For someone who likes to act as though he knows a lot about JJP, you sure don't know much about JJP.

#4507 4 years ago

I don't think that there are too many people that are particularly upset or critical that Hobbit is going to be delayed by 90 days or so. I think most of us are happy that JJP has listened to the feedback since Expo and are taking steps to improve the pin. And from what we've seen, many of the improvements are worth the wait.

The bigger point is people being upset with what appear to be false statements like "we are contractually obligated to ship when the third movie opens."

2 weeks later
#4657 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Sorry. I just don't see it.

That's because you still have your JJP blinders on.

#4698 4 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Recorded some video of The Hobbit at the Ohio Show.
» YouTube video

Wow! Those decals are the most reflective decals in the history of pinball!

1 week later
#4918 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Always heard the same thing about WOZ at shows...

Why does JJP insist on setting up their pins at shows with no pitch?

Nate at Coast 2 Coast pinball mentions in it in his podcast re the way Hobbit was set up too shallow at TPF:

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-149-texas-pinball-festival-2015-part-1_43660

#4921 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakenjoi:

Lower pitch and less coil power means less wear on a machine.
It's not using as much energy, things won't be as hot, things aren't happening as frequently, ball isn't tearing into things at full speed, etc.
I'm just guessing that's the reason, but it follows a logical train of thought. I'm sure games at shows get put through the ringer. All eyes are on them as new developers, so not breaking down probably trumps properly leveling the machine and increasing your risk of downtime from a PR standpoint.

But it seems to completely defeat the purpose: showing off game play.

Result: complaints about the pin playing like crap because it's floaty.

Set it up right so people can get a more accurate feel for how it plays.

#4973 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinister:

Wow you guy's are a tough crowd, 9 thumbs down for a little humor? OUCH! My feelings .

I don't think you would have got any thumbs down if, in fact, there was a little humor in your post.

#5081 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I suspect you will see a lower price tag for JJP #3.

Definitely not holding my breath on that one.

#5130 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well...I suppose the music is nice. I'm still not seeing anything that's getting me really excited. But I'm still staying in and will judge when I have it in my house and the code is nearly complete. I'm still thinking somebody might get a really nice price on a lightly used Hobbit, though.
There goes RobT's theory that I'm a fanboy.

You're just faking your lack of excitement for the sole purpose of proving me wrong!

#5148 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Doesn't AFM have a wide open PLAYFIELD but yet it's ranked 13th out of 300 on the Pinball Database.

Yep!

But it's not a wide body.

#5201 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

While the game does seem floaty, I do set my pins at 8 degrees, so that should speed things up.

8 degrees is crazy steep. Any pin set up like that isn't playing anywhere close to how the designer intended in my opinion.

#5247 4 years ago
Quoted from generica:

50% complete code isn't great but the code support for WoZ has been so stellar that most people are not sweating it. WoZ code started out basic and got substantial updates regularly until the programming team was satisfied, if the hobbit is the same I think most people would shrug and accept it.

You are right, a lot of people will shrug and accept it.

Which is sad, really.

#5321 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Why on Earth does everyone think 30 modes will be so awesome?

I certainly agree that simply having more modes doesn't mean it will be awesome. It totally depends on how they are implemented, including things like stacking strategy etc.

ST has 18 modes, and that's too many for me...at least with the way they are set up on ST as most of them feel the same.

#5452 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Thanks to you asshats constantly harping on them, there will be ZERO discussion of Pat's game. No pre-order, no info, nothing until it's ready for production.
So, yeah, awesome work guys!

Perfect!

Give it to us when she's ready to go!

#5463 4 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

I think there is some merit to what JJP has done. Showing parts of the machine is very brave of them. It has allowed them to make changes even close to the end which has made the pin much better. It opens them up to pretty harsh critisism however. That all went along with the prepay model.
If Pats machine is the new model...ie, it's finished, and you pay for it, then there is something lost. The ability to have some changes made that might make the pin better. I understand that is the way pins were made since the 1940's, and Stern makes them that way even today, but I enjoyed some of the ideas that others that have come up with along the way with WOZ and TH. I hope the JJP team continues their open communication for game #4. Who says the old way of producing pinball machines is the right way.

I agree, there is definitely a down side to announcing a pin when it's done since they can't really change/improve things at that point like they have done with TH. Still...I personally would rather see them announce the game when it's ready to go.

#5543 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I don't see the irony or your point. Lloyd providing technical support to a paid customer has nothing to do with the viability of JJP going forward and this person's conern. This person has expressed a desire to help and (unless I missed something?) is trying to simply gather some information on how many pre-order folks there really are and how much money they paid up. Where did he say he wanted to disclose negative information? If folks prefer to keep their heads buried in the sand and have no concern about when or if they'll get their games then great. Don't email this person. But I don't see the need for the personal attacks. He openly offered who he is (Pro Pinball) and noted they had forged a "financial relationship" with JJP. Sounds legit, no?

Funny how you are the only one in this thread who is defending Sj1000 and what he's saying about JJP, including the negative financial things that he's implied.

Then again, you were formerly Craz4Pin, so I guess it all makes sense! Back to troll JJP threads and encourage others to do so under a new handle. Good luck with that.

#5547 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

If that makes you feel better about yourself Rob then great. You're special. But me not mob attacking every single person who comes on a JJP thread with questions does not make me a troll. There are real questions that should be asked right now. I do not wish to start any disagreement on the games JJP are making or attempting to make. To each his own. But it is not wrong to be basking the tough questions right now.

If you think that I have a problem with asking "the tough questions", then you don't know me very well.

But you encouraging posts like the stuff that sj1000 was making? No, those weren't "tough questions". They were largely indecipherable posts supposedly having something to do with JJP's financial situation? Where was a single "tough question" in any of his posts?

#5610 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Omg man get a life. You have NO reason to be here and you're making demands to see progress? Why do you care? You don't want to see people getting hurt? If people were getting hurt, which they are not, wtf would you even be able to do about it. Hobbit is looking awesome and everyone I spoke to at MGC loved it! Get out of this thread!

OH MY GOD! Talk about the ultimate in irony!

#5641 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I get your frustration, but this shouldn't come as a surprise. WOZ was way overdue

So we just need to accept that JJP will always be really, really late in delivering pins and that's just the way it is? After all, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

And if it "shouldn't come as a surprise", then why is it that everyone was supposed to know that TH would be late except JJP, as they said mid 2014, and absolutely no later than December 2014 "per license agreement"?

#5644 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Not at all. But based on past practice it shouldn't come as a surprise. If you don't want to wait, you shouldn't preorder. Surely we agree on that principle?

I don't preorder.

But that isn't the point. Just because some of us won't preorder, doesn't mean that we should be so easily accepting of so many missed deadlines.

It's like deja vu all over again.

#5699 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

The concensus seems to be that games will ship end of May.

How the hell was this "concensus" (sic) reached without me?!

Was there a "pole"?

#5816 4 years ago

So September then?

Seriously though. This is very disappointing. Even late June puts this at half a year late from the "contractual requirement".

#5900 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

sucked for me, was on 2 ball play, my first ball was an instant drain and there was no ball save timer. I understand wanting to keep the players moving along so 2 ball is ok, but to not have a ball save timer after waiting 30 minutes was disappointing. So I played one ball. Waited again and this time tilted on second ball after 10 seconds there was no tilt warning, just one tilt and you're gone.

Are you sure? Maybe they changed the settings, but you can clearly see a tilt warning in this video at the 2:38 mark:

#6014 4 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

I was told, by Jack @ at the Allentown show, that TH production was going to begin in a few weeks. Not sure if that means 2 weeks, 3 weeks or more, but that's all I got to share.
Would be nice if JJP posted pics of TH production when it begins. Would go a long way in making people more comfortable...

Interesting. Someone else posted that Jack told them production would start at the end of June.

#6018 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I think most people would agree that a "couple" means 2 & a "few" means 3. If Jack said a few weeks, then we should just double that expectation, based on his track record. I think we can safely assume production will start in 6 weeks from now, which would put us right at the end of June.
You're both right.

I have not talked to Jack, I am only repeating what someone else said before, so I can't really be right anymore than I can be wrong.

Quoted from Rferullo:

Did Jack say that? I know it was supposed to be close to complete. If true then we should start seeing the first ship VERY VERY soon.

1 week later
#6100 4 years ago

Quoted from RobT:

So September then?
Seriously though. This is very disappointing. Even late June puts this at half a year late from the "contractual requirement".

#6197 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I have 0 worry that I won't receive my Hobbit.

Zero worry that you won't receive your Hobbit because you can afford to take the hit if it's not made, or zero worry because you think there is zero chance that it won't be made?

#6327 4 years ago
Quoted from tu71586:

Though we are not fully paid in, we do have a fair amount of money put into the payments. Well, that was a little over two years ago that we put in our first payment, and since then, I've learned more about other pins (attended the pinball expo in Chicago and the VFW in Brighton, MI -- very fun). Increasingly, I'm wondering if we should pull out and just spend the money on a pin we could play now.

Wow. Has it really been two years already that some people put down payments on The Hobbit?

I really hope that these get on the line at JJP soon.

Quoted from txstargazer3:

I played it at TPF. If you pull out now, I think you will regret it later.

How much later?

#6329 4 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

It has been, but believe it or not, and I'm not trying to be a douche, the up and downs are kind of enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, I will be glad to get it, but sometimes the anticipation is more fun than the reality of getting it home. This is true of lots of things for me, not just pinball.

I understand exactly what you are saying. That wouldn't work for me, but I get it. When you have your Hobbit sitting in your home, you can look at it and have memories of how it developed and changed over that two year period, the ups and downs, the Pinside drama, the waiting, the initial disappointment of the Smaug "reveal" with subsequent improvements based on feedback, etc.

1 week later
#6371 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

LOTR has the advantage because those films are so much better

Plus you can actually own and play LOTR this year.

#6419 4 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

What are the feelings about the vendor/supplier issues based on the seminar presentation and Q/A's.
1. Are the quality of parts ok now and are vendors supplying in quantities to build games?
2. Are all parts coming in for a least complete parts sets to build entire games?
Seems most of the past 4 month delays have been blamed on "can't control" issues on those two questions - did Jack and team get specific on either question, or is it still generic answers?

Generic answers and he never indicated when he thought Hobbit would be on the production line. At one point he guessed at what a question was from someone online, saying "he wants to know when he's going to get his Hobbit" (or words to that effect) but that was not the question asked, and therefore it was never answered.

#6422 4 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Let's just hope yours is one at the front of the line when they finally go into production!

Thanks, but as you probably know, I don't preorder pins, so there's no chance of that happening, is there?

#6424 4 years ago

Obviously.

#6428 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Based on WoZ standard line jumping, why wouldn't you think if you place fresh order "near the start of production" you won't be getting your game near the front of the line?

Good point!

#6448 4 years ago

You know you guys could actually watch the seminar video and listen to Thiel himself talk a bit about wanting to take a break and how he came to do work for JJP, right?

#6450 4 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

To clarify: I have never been an employee of a pinball company (except when I did video game audio for Gottlieb). Since 2006 each pin audio package was a new contract. After Mustang was done I decided to take a break from my existing client. I've known Pat Lawlor since 1984 when we worked together at Action Graphics. I sent Pat an email when he announced his return congratulating him. Pat replied and asked if I was available and I was. When I talked with JJP they asked if I would help with The Hobbit audio package as well. I am thrilled to work on the JJP hardware system. More CPU, 1000 times more memory and good speakers takes away so many audio limitations and gives me the tools to provide great audio for the player. I am psyched about the headphone jack as well. Back to Middle Earth....

Great to hear from the horse's mouth.

I'm a big fan of your work, and am very much looking forward to hearing more of what you've done on Hobbit, and Lawlor's game when it comes out.

1 week later
#6571 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

After watching the presentation by David Thiel starting at 7:22 below I'm considering getting back in on The Hobbit.
I've been very impressed with just how many changes the game has gone through since expo. What began as a dark and bleak looking game now looks far more vibrant, complete, and fun to play. The amount of audio, programming and FX work being put into the game by Keith, Ted, David and JP is extremely impressive.
A couple highlights from the video below. I'm sure some of these have already been mentioned.
1. Custom dialog from a Gandalf sound-a-like is coming. JJP is just waiting on final approval
2. 1000 voice clips already pulled between the 3 movies and all 33 characters
3. Less looping in music. Nick Phoenix from The Two Steps From Hell is a pinball guy and doesn't like looping in games
4. Two Steps From Hell created 34 custom pieces for The Hobbit pinball amd there isn't really a need to loop any of them
5. The "Old Friends" theme is licensed from Howard Shore but David has created several variations of it
6. David has FX stem tracks for all 3 movies. From what I heard in the presentation it sounds like being able to pull audio from the indvidial sound layers that when compiled together create the final audio track in the films.
7. David is creating what he calls "Award Stingers" which let's players know that they have hit the correct shot. These are combined with video clips from the films. Think of LOTR during a mission when the DMD animation changes with each correct shot hit. It sounds like David is doing this for all 34 modes!
» YouTube video

Yep! Very impressive stuff. I love Thiel's work, and the above is a great example of why. He'd be as much of a reason for me getting a Hobbit as almost anything.

But, this:

Quoted from Aurich:

It was a great presentation. But at this point I'd just wait until they're shipping, and buy then. No reason to put up cash with all the uncertainty. We don't even have a real clue when the line might start. Hopefully soon! But if that's the case all the more reason waiting makes sense, why pay up front?

....is spot on.

#6681 4 years ago
Quoted from maf-mi:

I took my money off the horse in this race and put in on another horse that has already been delivered. Couldn't be happier.

IMG_1892_2.jpg

Congrats!

I have been seriously considering selling most of my collection in order to get a Hellcat.

image.jpg

#6701 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Better off getting a tesla. It's faster . It also won't fall apart after a year or have regular electrical fires after a year Like everything that comes out of Chrysler.

Yeah, cuz Tesla's never catch on fire!

(and the Tesla is not faster than the Hellcat in the quarter mile)

#6708 4 years ago

There is plenty of proof of guys taking their stock Hellcats to the drag strip and slapping radial racing tires on, who have got 1/4 miles times in the high 10's. You can pick and choose numbers from various sources all day long to try to make your point. Motor Trend is not the final word when it comes to which car is faster in the 1/4 mile. There are many variables. Clearly the Tesla will be faster 0-60. That's where that electric motor really shines.

But from a purely aesthetics point of view, the Tesla looks like a nice luxury car vs. the in your face aggressive style of the Hellcat. And as mentioned, it costs a lot more than the Hellcat, so I'm not even sure why the two cars would be compared to each other as they aren't in the same market segment.

A better comparison would be with the Mustang GT500 (668HP, $55k) and the Camaro LT1 (580HP, $55k-$60k). The Hellcat is 707HP, $60k sticker (but dealers are still trying to charge $10k-$20k above sticker based on the high demand).

#6711 4 years ago

Straight from the article that Alex posted:

"That'd be a great point if the Tesla wasn't $64,000 more than the Charger Hellcat. It would take you more than 30 years of driving the Tesla -- per the EPA -- until your electric car finally earned back its price premium".

#6717 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Agreed. Please start a new thread in the off topic section about this car matter.

Sorry, we didn't mean to derail the flood of new info coming in regarding The Hobbit!

#6723 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Rob, For someone who has owned an exige (I think or was it an elise), i'm shocked you would ever want something like this.

Why? It's not like I don't have a complete understanding of what the car is, and what it is not. This is 100% pure unadulterated muscle! Nothing like it. Did I mention 707 horsepower from the factory?

I've owned plenty of great handling cars, like the Lotus Exige S and a Porsche Spyder (and a Third Gen RX-7 before those). Great fun! Love the handling of both of those cars. Both will *easily* out handle the Hellcat. Duh.

But neither one of them has anywhere close to the raw power that the Hellcat delivers. If you don't think that kind of raw power can't give you as much of an adrenaline rush as a slower but great handling car, I don't know what to tell you.

1 week later
#6905 4 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

He should talk to Popadiuk.

Oh, he has. There's a good discussion about it in the JPop thread.

#6942 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I just wish that people were more respectful of each other, and of the people who make these incredible machines. Sadly, JPOP has lost that respect through his colossal failures... But I think we could cut Jack a LITTLE slack.

Really enjoyed your post. I would say though, that to many people, Jack was so far off base in so many of his comments on the JPop fiasco, that it was really difficult to feel like he deserved even a LITTLE slack.

I mean he actually said "those who "invested" in him - well - you got what you paid for. You got to be on the roller coaster ride of ups and downs. You got to be an insider and an outsider. You had the money to burn for a big toy that nobody needs and that money got burned alright."

It makes me cringe every time I read that quote. It scares me to know that he actually thinks this way.

#7188 4 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

JJP is looking for ways to produces the highest quality pin, my intention is to own each of them. Sad truth , stern is searching for ways to cut corners everywhere, and they are having many quality control issues. I know, as I have bought all of their releases. It seems that a handful of haters seem to project and hope with their overbearing , constant negative
Rants, never intending to to own, that Jack will fail, and they could be the I told you so
hero s ! Get a life.

#7200 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

All very gratifying to hear...
I assume TaylorVa's new PF is on the way then?

And that all vendors invoices have been paid in a timely manner?

#7227 4 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

If you are not a vendor why are you worried about this? That dosent seem like anyones business but Jacks.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Is this post even serious? Let's see, JJP is holding cash from how many people for a pin that has yet to be made? And you say that it's nobody's concern whether JJP is paying vendors???

#7280 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

I corrected that for you.

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

#7312 4 years ago

I assume those are the new ones? Pretty cool that they got them that quick.

#7316 4 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

OH MY GOSH! That's it...JJP is going down the tubes now! Why has Jack chosen to fall even further into debt???

?

Why would they have fallen further in debt by getting replacement parts that the vendor had screwed up? JJP shouldn't have had to pay twice.

#7318 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I don't think you read his post right (or maybe I didn't).

How so? He says JJP fell further into debt in response to getting the replacement back glasses. What did I misread?

#7320 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

He put the big "Sarcasm" emoticon after it.
Then he said, In all seriousness... before he complimented JJP on getting them back so fast.
I think he was making a parody of a typical attack on JJP.

Yes, he was being sarcastic in criticizing JJP *for going further into debt*.

My point being: there is no sarcasm applicable here because JJP didn't go further into debt.

#7375 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Agreed. Stern owns the entry level. I think that Heighway is going to put a lot of pressure on Stern's Prem/LE side of things with their Standard pricing and the features

How so?

I mean Heighway seems like they will indeed offer *alternatives* to Stern's Premium and LE pins, so if that's what you mean by pressure I agree as it will take some money away from Stern.

But I do not see anything particularly noteworthy about Heighway's pricing or features that would put "pressure" on Stern's Prem/LE model and pricing that would force them to do anything differently (that they aren't already planning on). Alien LE is more than $8k, and unlike Stern, I am assuming that is pretty much the price you will pay instead of getting it substantially less than the MSRP like you can on Stern pins. So how is having a higher price for an LE going to put pressure on Stern?

We've seen lots of video of Full Throttle now as well. The non LE version is priced just a bit less than a Premium Stern would be (with shipping included). I think Full Throttle is pretty cool, but I don't look at it and say "holy cow, you are getting so much more for your money here than you'd ever get with a Stern Premium, Stern is really going to have pressure to change things."

#7379 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Rob I just responded in another thread to you about this, so don't want to repeat myself too much, but the short version is Heighway Standard is priced like Stern Premium. But with Heighway you're getting full RGB lighting, high rez LCD screen, widebody if you care about that. Etc. More features.

Last I checked, I have full RGB lighting on my Stern Premium TWD?

Widebody is not a selling point to me or most people as far as I know. I know I wouldn't go into buying either FTH or Alien with the mindset that "it's so cool this is going to be a widebody pin."

I definitely like the LCD screen that Heighway has in the PF, but it's hardly a game changer or something that would compel me to buy a Heighway pin over a Stern Premium. As usual, it will still come down to theme and game play. But is the LCD screen on the PF an advantage that Heighway has? Sure! It just isn't a particularly big one to me.

And what about the areas where Stern Premiums have an advantage over Heighway? Sorry, but the backbox on the Heighway pins looks pretty darn goofy on Full Throttle. It looks cheap. Stern has a clear advantage there. I am really hoping that something is done so that the backbox on Alien will look better.

Quoted from NJGecko:

And.....reel it back in on topic folks....Hobbit info. Or don't post.

Wow, that did go off topic. Apologies. Aurich, lets take it to the other thread.

2 weeks later
#7540 4 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

I really hate the idea of commenting on a thread directly vs the topic. Its what makes forums toxic and prevent it from being a conversation.

Yes, you have done a great job of toning down the toxic nature of the forum and really moved the conversation forward with your post in a JJP Hobbit thread when you said this:

Quoted from VacFink:

Instead they want the immediate reward and are happy to get stern level of quality and design. That's sad.

Your post is so ironic it isn't funny. You engage in the very thing that causes the constant bickering in so many of the JJP threads with your above statement. I.e, you can't just praise JJP for things that they may be doing right, you have to knock Stern in the process.

#7545 4 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

That wasn't the intent but your right if its taken that way. I didn't intend it to be a knock, I just don't see the two have the same goals in terms of design and focus. The Hobbit shows very little restraint for time or cost in terms of its build and focus, which is not the case for Stern. I'm not perfect either.
I guess if I had to put a point on it, I would say I wanted to take my best shot at suggesting everyone posting here isn't as bad as they seem. I'd like to the community is caught up in a toxic negative spiral that's hard to get out of unless you stop and think about what it means and does. I really hate looking to this thread for updates and finding what I see today.
Either way, I took a stab and tried to put up a few blocks on the foundation, and see I pushed out others in the same way without realizing it.

It's nice to get a thoughtful response. At least you considered the other side of things and how they can be interpreted, and realized how part of your own statement could lead to the very things that you wanted to avoid.

#7571 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Stern was on life support when JJP announced WOZ.

Were they?

I thought that things had started to turn around before then and things were looking better.

#7575 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Tron was considered the type of "cheap" games that Jack claimed his customers didn't want to buy. It was also the 4th game in a row Borg designed, as he was Stern's only designer at that point. Tron wasn't even that well received at first. The usual complaints of "cheap", "no toys", "Photoshop art", "DVD cover translite", "shallow rules" are what Tron dealt with at first - just like Iron Man. Now they're two of the most beloved modern games...go figure!

Seems to me that it was just the "cool" thing to do back then. We were all mostly on RGP at the time (Pinside was a complete non-factor in January 2011), and there was nothing but bashing everything that was released. "Stern Sucks" was a very popular mantra on RGP.

But that list shows that Stern was already starting the LE model before JJP came on the scene. And the themes were starting to get better, with Batman, Avatar, Tron, Iron Man and Transformers all close to the time that JJP was first announced as a company.

#7618 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Glad we established that people agree the gameplay and music sucks on Tron.

Do you really think you are being funny with this stuff?

#7620 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Nope. Dead serious. Why?
Does everybody have to agree with you?

Dead serious that "we established that people agree that the gameplay and music on Tron suck"

What are you smoking?

#7634 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Now you know how people feel when you say the same thing about WOZ and XMEN
For the record I think Tron is awesome.

What are you talking about??

I have never once made the statement that "we established that people agree that the gameplay and music on WoZ (or XM) suck" as though a well established consensus existed, which is what Beelzeboob was doing.

#7639 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Oh, it's a consensus, all right. WOZ ranks above both versions of Tron in the top 100.

#7651 4 years ago

Strong "words." Way to defend your argument with an emoji. Why not mix in an "lol" with a dash of "omg" and deal Boob a mortal blow? When I look back over the vista of years and consider history's celebrated rhetorical virtuosos, I think of Homer. I think of Shakespeare. I think of Vonnegut. I think of RobT. Keep up the scintillating posts, big fella'.
(p.s. - Tron is a top 50 pin at best, and the lighted ramps on the LE are tantamount to putting perfume on a pig. And the art package? I'd prefer if it was designed by Jackson Pollock.)

When I think of someone on Pinside who posts more personal attacks than anyone, and whose posts almost always get more thumbs down than thumbs up, I think of you Cap'n!

And in the name of full disclosure, I *still* don't think that you are a real Cap'n!

And speaking of Homers, seems that you are the one that rated TOTAN a perfect 10.0. Freaking hilarious! That TOTAN thread must really piss you off!

#7674 4 years ago

You got me. I’m not a real Captain.

I knew it!

Here’s another startling revelation, genius: despite my Jolly Roger Avatar, I’m not a real pirate either.

Not a "real" pirate huh? So you just like playing one on Pinside?

I couldn’t care less what other people think about TOTAN as my game isn’t going anywhere.

You sure about that?

Because this post of yours (with 16 thumbs down) would seem to indicate quite the opposite as you seem pretty pissed off with those who have said less than nice things about it:

Here’s my question to all the nit-wit haters: if TOTAN is shit, then why is it priced at $6,500 and up for an average machine? Riddle me that, geniuses. Hands down – TOTAN is a Mt. Rushmore pin – along with IJ, TZ and AFM. Bright, fast and fun!

..just like I don't see how anyone likes the POS EMs you drool over. Slow. Garbage.

Sounds like you probably *could* care less given that response.

Who knows, maybe you’ll flop again like a blue fish just as you did with TWD and have a markedly different opinion of TOTAN inside a week.

I doubt it as I've played TOTAN a lot, and I don't expect a code update to come out any time soon. Besides, it's not like I think TOTAN completely sucks.

As for TWD yeah, I definitely changed my tune on that one as all of my initial opinions were based on playing a pro on location that had terrible SDTM drains from the pops. Thank God I was able to play some HUO LE's to change my opinion. If I were someone who only cared about being right all the time, I would not have done a complete turn around on TWD. It's good to have an open mind. You should try it some time!

At this point, I’m done engaging you and your banal replies because every time I do, I feel like a kitten smacking around a ball of yarn. Cause you got ugatz!

Please do not make promises that you very well know that you can't keep. Too much data on this one. You obviously have a major personal problem with me, and you let me know it the very first time that you ever directly engaged me on this forum by telling me that "I don't like you one iota." You don't even post very often, but it seems that an unusually high percentage of your posts are spent responding to me with some type of personal attack. I think it would be great if you stopped "engaging" me and my "banal" replies, but I'm certainly not naive enough to think that will actually happen. Your dislike of me runs too deep for you to do that!

In the meantime, why don’t you walk away from the keyboard and bang a few balls around on your Bow and Arrow or Mustang. That should be fun for all of zero minutes.

Nice zinger!

#7687 4 years ago

Let me try and address a few of your assertions. I will try my best to keep it civil. I do not have a “major personal problem” with you, but where I take umbrage is with your sanctimonious and arrogant tone as if you invented pinball. You are not Steve Kordek. You make hundreds of posts on Pinside every week as well as a countless number in this thread over the past year plus. It’s a public forum with thousands of members - do you not expect dissenting opinions? And perhaps the occasional pushback to match your supercilious musings? In the spirit of accuracy, I did not state “Full disclosure: I do not like you one iota” the first time I engaged you. I was respectful. Your endless digs at WOZ, JJP, and TH were getting stale. Not much has changed in the last year. Oh sure, you’ll occasionally post some disingenuous message about how you hope JJP succeeds, but it reeks of phoniness. You’re as transparent as InvisiGlass in that regard. No, it was you who immediately went for the knife in the top drawer and came at me. Because it was easy. Because that’s what you typically do. Because you like to bully people. So instead of folding like a house of cards, I punched you in the mouth (metaphorically, of course). And I’ll continue to swing for the fences [at you] whenever I see fit. You picked the wrong Pinsider to strong-arm because I have No Fear of poking around in the hornet’s nest at a “Pinside Immortal.”

Thanks for proving my point, genius.

#7698 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

There is no winner here. You both look weak arguing back and forth.

I agree, but at least I'm not stalking the Cap'n/Pirate all over Pinside like he's doing to me:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/plea-for-an-update-anything-really/page/3#post-2626197

1 week later
#7878 4 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

Full Throttle LE is over $9,000 US Dollars plus shipping.

This can't be true. Epic fail if it is.

Quoted from pindome:

I purchased Hobbit Smaug LE for $7,500 including shipping.

That's probably going to wind up being a great deal when you get your pin. I don't have the stomach for the pre-order train (I'd have gone insane with the pin being this late) but at least it will probably pay off for you guys who had the patience/balls to stick with it.

#7919 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

You know the difference between a translite and backglass right?

Why would you expect him to, when even Stern doesn't?!

#7968 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Oh well. I am still in on the hobbit - I think JJP makes amazing pins. But their marketing and PR sucks really really bad. There isn't any hype or excitement. It seems they don't mind having all the air sucked right out of the room.
EDIT: I will say that Jack opening the doors today for the community was great. Looks like it was fun.

I'm surprised by how few people are in that room for the Q&A. I guess there's only so much info/answers you can keep repeating regarding the status of Hobbit at this point.

#7978 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am not surprised by the attendance - it is a very local event.

What does that mean? You had to live in Jersey to attend?

#7981 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Did you expect there to be a lot of people there?

What's your definition of "a lot?"

I expected more people to be there than what's seen in the pictures, that's all. It's not like New Jersey is a place with a small population. Just seemed surprising to me.

#8213 4 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Now with GOT officially announced. What will be the impact of this on JJP and Hobbit sales. Seems like a race to get the game out at this point. Of course, still no details on display for Stern at this time.

GoT would have a bigger negative impact on Hobbit sales if it came with an LCD. From what I've heard, GoT will not have an LCD. I'm sure the majority of Hobbit buyers want that big LCD that it comes with. Still, I'm sure that some will bail as they are tired of waiting several years for their Hobbit, and now they can get a similar type theme from Stern in the next month or two.

#8226 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

The first thousand machines are paid for

Is this true?

People who are in on Hobbit surely are not paid in full are they?

#8407 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

COMPLETELY disagree with you. The hammered look is awesome...especially improved the gold one! The powder color was the one thing LE had over SE, now I can truly say the SE is better all around! Thank you for the last minute upgrade!!

Not only that, but the hammered look perfectly fits the theme.

1 week later
#8547 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Wow!!!.....never thought I'd have interest in this title, but might be changing my mind.....

I've always been interested, as I love the theme. Since they have listened to feedback and improved numerous things, it looks fantastic (both cabinet and PF). So the only thing left is how it plays. I have a friend getting one, so I will get my chance soon (ok, maybe not soon, but some day). I'm still worried about that right upper flipper, as it looks like it's only good for hitting drop targets.

#8550 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Isn't there a vuk beyond the two left drop targets that also require the right upper flipper to sink the ball into the hole once the targets are down to reveal it?
That would give more value to that upper flipper.

The VUK that's about 4 inches from the flipper? It might make that right upper flipper more valuable but it doesn't seem like it would be a very satisfying shot.

Edit: misread it. Is there a hole behind the drops? That would be cool.

#8692 4 years ago
Quoted from mattster:

WOZ is basically a HEP game straight from the factory.

lol

#8711 4 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Sorry but a 2006 version isn't too relevant these days.

#8724 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

So your work wasn't that relevant in 2006 yet you still charged THOUSANDS for your work back then. Interesting.

Right. He was supposed to either do it for free, or never improve on his techniques.

2 weeks later
#8823 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Folks trying to claim "the LCD is useless" is starting to sound silly....
You may NEVER look at it during a game- fine- I myself suck at pinball, so I can barely keep track of my score- much less watch an LCD during gameplay- but i certainly still DO cradle a ball and check status every once in a while for stuff needed for next multi ball, mode, etc. Seems an LCD is pretty sweet in this situation...
Also, it seems these folks keep wanting to ignore that a significant value of the LCD is in ATTRACTING people over to play the game. Walking past a row on traditional pins and ONE JJP machine? Impossible to NOT have your attention caught....
I'm anything but a JJP-fanboy, but it's foolish to suggest the LCD (done right) will not improve the experience.
I'm extremely pissed off at Stern for not including it in their latest title- it's a phenomenal opportunity LOST.

Exactly. Having an LCD screen is not going to make the game play more fun. Or the rules/code better. Or the geometry of the shots smoother. But obviously having an HD LCD screen capable of showing high def clips from the actual movie (Hobbit in this case) will most certainly add to the overall immersion of the theme, and therefore the overall enjoyment of playing the pin.

Everyone will have their own priorities when it comes to things like an LCD screen and how important it is to the overall experience. And while it isn't super high on my list of priorities when it comes to a pin, it's ridiculous to claim there isn't significant benefits to having one.

I think Hobbit has infinitely more ability to impress with the use of the LCD screen that WoZ did. Fire breathing dragon > flying witch on a broom.

7 months later
#9777 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

because its slower. who cares why? whether its a larger playfield or not doesn't take away from the fact its slow and floaty, thats what I meant by ridiculous.

Just because it's not as fast as Stern pins in general doesn't mean that it is "slow and floaty" either. It's not. If you played one that was, it wasn't set up right.

#9782 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm not saying it like its a terrible thing just not for me, glad you guys are digging the pin. Jesus did I make a mistake posting in this thread, bye bye.

Why are you acting like I overreacted? You gave an opinion. I gave mine. Pretty simple.

Why act like you were personally attacked?

1 month later
#9818 3 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

EB at 50k and 100k,

No.gif

#9821 3 years ago

On 1.21 we now have the "daily high score."

Is there a way to disable this in settings? I don't care for this at all. RS has this (as do other pins) but I hate having the screen come up for your initials....only to be told that it's just for the day.

#9825 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I just AAA the initials real quick

That's exactly what I've been doing. But it's more the way it prick teases you by making you think you just got a high score.

Quoted from BillySastard:

It's in the high score settings menu. I turned it off after my first game on the new code.

Great, thanks.

#9829 3 years ago
Quoted from hillbilly:

I have mine set at 12 degrees. Plays perfect!

lol

#9836 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Had a bbq last weekend people absolutely loved the daily high score! It gave them something to shoot for as all my high scores are in the millions. They talked about it a lot.
And whats awesome is that you can turn it on or off for parties.
I wish my WOZ had that feature. People would like it more.

Exactly. We are having our big annual 4th of July BBQ Monday, and I will turn the daily high score feature back on for that day.

3 months later
#9905 3 years ago

Please, please, please let there be more callouts. I really need to hear more from Smaug during multiball!

Exactly. I am pretty sure that we have not received all of the call outs that we were promised to this point, so I hope that this next (final?) update includes more callouts.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside