Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 6 years ago

Not gonna lie... that video was great. Very excited to see more. This could be the JJP game I've hoped it could be.

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Barrel multiball, light into darkness multiball

I think a 'find the Arkenstone' mode would be neat... Everything goes dark except one shot lights for say, 100k, and every wrong switch hit and every time you fire a flipper subtracts 5k points and slowly wakes Smaug up due to all the noise. Smaug waking up would obviously do some new mode phase like a hurry up or something that would be more difficult but more lucrative with a roving or possibly unknown shot being the collect.

Gives a risk/reward for intentionally waking him up. That and you'd get to see the scene in the mountain where he wakes up

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

That's one helluva idea you got there.

Well if Keith is still reading these threads maybe we'll see it

JJP, I'll only take a small royalty in perpetuity

2 months later
#719 5 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I don't think there was much if any custom call outs for LOTR. I believe they were mostly pulled from the movie.
I could be wrong though.

You would be.

Elijah Wood (Frodo) as well as John Rhys-Davies (Gimli) provided a lot of custom callouts. It's one of the many huge draws with that game.

#725 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

What's the custom Frodo speech? All I know of is the dwarf's speech...

Off the top of my head there's a countdown (maybe more than one) and all the ring callouts that stand out. I don't know the game that well but I think there's more. A watch of the game on youtube would probably let you hear some.

#726 5 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Ahh thanks for that. Were there any other custom call outs?

From other actors? Not to my knowledge. There might be stand ins for other characters for custom work, but I think other call outs are simply pulled from the movie directly.

#743 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Considering he didn't want anything to do with LOTR, I don't think we even bothered to ask him. Hugo Weaving also flat-out denied us on LOTR.

I find this so strange on many levels but it sounds common enough for all the current manufacturers - why WOULDNT actors want to do some minor voice work for a silly pinball? Is it that much of a burden? Are they that busy, or are they that set against sharing their likeness?

5 months later
#1699 5 years ago

Actually yours looks to be about 533% larger than what I described, but it does look quite nice.

Just to justify my math:
1.5 x 1.5 x .75 = 1.6875
2.25 x 2 x 2 = 9
9 / 1.6875 = 5.33333

Not to digress too far or add fuel to a fire, your math is correct but you're leveraging the cubic nature of volume to prop up your argument a bit and that's not usually how scaling works. I would doubt anyone would look at the 2.25" figure compared to a 1.5" figure and say "Wow that's 5x the size!" despite the volume mathematically agreeing with that statement.

Now, as far as the JJP models go, I honestly think they look fine. They will never be perfect for everyone and as long as WB thinks they are good, I say move along and get them into a playing game, and film them being bashed!

#1702 5 years ago
Quoted from jsrfo:

I generally try to stay out of the swill on these threads, and made no mention of any brand or manufacturer purposely, nor did I state anything negative towards any manufacturer or game.
You mentioned Stern, and quoted "dimestore toys and action figures" from listing in the same breath. Maybe you want to think about that. They're your words, no one else's....
If a debate serves to make any one manufacture step up their game in any respect, then it's good. When the debate turns sour, as it does most often on pinside, there's no value added.
You mentioned TWD, and, some of the artwork and toys I saw looked very good. Maybe you're thinking that previous efforts from Stern had "dimestore looking toys and action figures" on them when compared to TWD.
But then again, maybe I am uninformed.

Might I ask to what/whom you were referring to with this statement:

Quoted from jsrfo:

Moving on to the current debate, how anyone can compare 1960's-ish lit bumper caps, dimestore toys and action figures on the playfield to what JJP has been doing? (Deep breath, waiting for the Pinside barrage of Fanboy remarks)

Calling out Aurich on saying 'Stern' after you set it up that way sure seems like "jumping into the swill" to me

#1712 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I think Keith's point was that the depth was a design factor because they are bash toys that need to be robust while also fitting in a tight spot that does not have much depth. It is much easier to make something accurately in appearance when you have no limitations in all directions, unlike the pop up figures which had to be morphed to fit the shallow front-to-back space available.

Could be. But either way JJPs models are not 5x smaller to the average layperson than what was presented as an example. I know there are design challenges but stating it in that way is a bit misleading imo.

#1713 5 years ago
Quoted from jsrfo:

Maybe a little bit.
But apparently, he knew exactly what I was referencing. If he can see it and made comment on it on his own, then maybe he knows what I'm trying to convey. If so, then I think the use of the term "uninformed" is unnecessary and unwarranted. My point was taken without being said.

#1722 5 years ago
Quoted from jsrfo:

Reading over what I wrote above, I'm not sure why the outrage. I purposely did not state anything about a manufacturer, no matter how it was perceived, and yes, it was referring to Stern. After all, a few posts prior, someone complained about the Stern bumper caps.
But my point is this, the terms "lit bumper caps", "dimestore toys", and "action figures" seem to have really resonated with those reading this thread.

I can't believe for a second you're confused by this. Who else would it be? There's essentially two manufacturers of pinball machines. We're in a JJP thread and you insinuated a comparison to another manufacturer. OMG WHO COULD IT BE?!!!111

Despite how clever you seem to think your wording was, you could have used any terms you want, the fact is Stern is the 'other guy' in any comparison with JJP. It's like posting on an android phone site about a phone company that just makes the same phone every year and is copying android and is behind in tech and blah blah blah... OMG IS IT APPLE?!?!?! Wow you picked up my hints!?! Hahaha that must mean they suck cause you said apple, not me!!

Give me a break.

#1773 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Lobotomies for the resilient ones.
LTG : )™

Not everyone in this hobby has something to lobotomize

1 month later
#2289 5 years ago

It's been too quiet on Pinside the last week or so. Excited to see what this sparks in the coming days. Ideally it remains positive...

#2382 5 years ago

I thought the ramp diverter was Smaug's tail?

Regardless, this still looks better than the Expo showing. I have no idea why JJP set themselves up for the backlash from Expo but this a great step closer to fixing all that.

#2444 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The ball flow has changed with the pops and an open drop out. Thats a core design change.

Out of curiosity with Mr. Balcer gone, who is leading the design and making these game changes? Maybe it's common knowledge and I'm out of the loop...

I think opening up the pops is great on any game. I don't care as much for one way in and one way out.

#2583 5 years ago

Casuals don't use the extra flipper buttons on purpose. Generally it serves to confuse more than help. The benefit of the lockdown bar button is that it's way more obvious there's additional input.

It also adds risk/reward to using or not using the button at any given time. With extra buttons by the flippers, it's rarely a risk to activate them on the fly.

#2591 5 years ago

Heyyyyyyy someone gets it!

"But it takes my hands off the flippers"

Ummm yeah that's the point.

#2739 5 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Anyone know what this is that I circled in red and what it will do?

Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

I believe it's a ball save

I think it's been removed:

In games at the show...

- Closed entrance to shooter lane from outlane

#2745 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

so, is the circled orb (which lites up) supposed to be smaug's eye when he first awakens?

Lets not overthink it too much... I think it's supposed to be a flasher.... that flashes.

#2874 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Didn't everyone learn from Expo, that what we're seeing is not final? What makes you think...

The game supposedly starting production in the next 30-45 days makes me (and the rest of us?) think these things. I'm unaware of an official delay and unless one is announced, we have got to be looking at a near-final machine here... no?

If a 3-6 month delay is announced, I'm right on board with your line of thought, but time is running low on the current schedule that I am aware of.

#2893 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Overall playfield design? You bet. Done deal. The action & mechanics of Smaug, and the rest of the whole playfield are set. But I cannot see how anyone can honestly say that Smaug is a "fail" without seeing the final look & how the toy is integrated into the code & gameplay (talking to the player, rotating, waking up, fire breathing effects in a dark room, god knows what other cool ideas Keith has planned for him, etc). It may not be what you expected, but at least reserve judgment until the game is finished.

I think we've all seen enough of Smaug to get a feel for what it's implementation is. Maybe the mold isn't final, maybe the code will add more speech to it, but it's not too hard of a stretch to think that we're all capable of imagining the possibilities of the toy at this point. IMO that toy is 100% final in terms of implementation potential - it's going to light up, talk, and spin, and now have glowing eyes (which I don't recall from the movie but whatever). I'm capable of picturing that in my minds eye and we don't all need to wait until you think the machine is "final" to do so. For the record I think the toy is/will be good, not great.

I was referring to the little stuff, like color of the pillars, molding around the book LCD, the exact final look of Smaug's head, adding his teeth & tongue, the stickers on the sides of the ramp, etc. Cosmetic changes. I have no doubt it's all going to come together over the next few weeks & be ready to go into production by end of December. Just look how much they accomplished (and were probably working on already) since Expo.

Every change to those "little things" goes though licensor approvals (or that's the impression I get from all the 'licensor said so' defenses). Those approvals don't happen daily, or even weekly I would bet, so again, with 30-45 days (~30 Warner Bros working days, ignoring XMas) until production I still don't see why the assumption that we are near final is wrong. If they are building machines next month, I bet there is time for maybe one more revision and approval to all those details, which means this machine is damn near final (unless there's a delay)

#2924 5 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

T-Rex DID eat the pinball and he bleched sometimes after! I have the game... unless you were being sarcastic...were you being sarcastic? Or did you really think T-Rex didn't eat the ball...?

He's talking about the movie

#2929 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, Jackson was a little bitch, sorry to say. Too protective of his precious to let some dirty pinball people have a little fun. That concept video of the pinball bowling down the goblins was hilarious.

It's actually better as a pinball clip than the scene in the movie.

#2930 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

He completely ruined Hobbit/LOTR for me. I read the books so many times as a kid, I had my own visions of what it looked like, and it didn't mesh well with his vision.

I disagree on LoTR and I agree on TH. They are like opposites to me.

LoTR: Overall fantastic with a handful of moments I didn't like.
TH: Overall I don't like it, with a handful of moments that are fantastic.

#3083 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Though I like that the VUKs are now wire, do the VUK's need to sit so high? Can they be given a lower profile? that candy cane look just isn't so cool looking to me.
Here is a link the whitewood for the original wire ramps. Not too bad really. I like the VUKs snake like return in the whitewood.
» YouTube video
I actually like the ways these looks a bit more, but they moved them closer to the edge to not obstruct the PF view. This is fine, but it seems like it made the VUKs look a bit boring. Thoughts? I would like to see the current VUKs styled a bit more. Not a big deal, but I think it would help continue to improve the aesthetics of the game.

I hadn't really realized the change was so big on the VUKs but I 100% agree with you now that I've seen this again. Those old VUK wireforms look much cooler and seem to flow nicer than what is being shown on the newest model.

#3086 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I just like pinball.

Stopped reading after this blatant trolling. This is no place for wild statements such as this

#3234 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

This song was pretty awesome.
You know the last hobbit movie didn't have a powerful song in it. Every LOTR and the first hobbit all had that powerful moving song in them. 2nd hobbit movie did not.

Too busy with slapstick barrel riding and non-canon romancing to have time for actual cinematics I suppose...

#3267 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

The barrel scene was one of the best parts.

I liked the part where they got away by Jar Jar Binks-esque barrel bouncing and head-in-first feet flailing luck. Epic storytelling there.

Quoted from YKpinballer:

a) the barrel escape was actually one of the few parts of the movie that was in the book also.

The idea of escaping in barrels from the elves was indeed in the book. The 20 minute 'Wild River Riot', orc chase, rollercoaster pinball barrel, Legolas prancing, morgul arrow wound incidents in the movie... were not.

b) if you are annoyed because a movie filled with dwarves elves and hobbits fighting a dragon has an over the top barrel escape, you are the problem. Not the movie.

No... pretty sure it's the movie. I quite like the barrel escape from the novel - built on stealth and subtlety, shaping the strengths and the growth of the 'burgler' Bilbo Baggins. The movie overshadowed that with an unnecessary CGI rich action sequence.

#3270 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

But how do you get a surface mount addressable LED above the playfield and say under a sling?

Almost sounds like there's an opportunity to engineer a solution... Or we could all throw our hands up and say "impossible"

2 weeks later
#3358 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

No. It's where I admonish your grammar; the end mark of punctuation goes inside the quotation marks. If you’re going to quote me, please show some deference to proper usage.

Quoted from ek77:

Don't worry Rob Captain pin head always goes to the grammar argument when his argument is weak.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

Don't worry Rob, Captain Pin Head always goes to the grammar argument when his argument is weak.
^^^ Fixed that for you. I'm not sure who you are referring to but quite a lot of folks think a tutor is in need

If my count is right we're approaching something resembling the 2nd or 3rd level of grammar Inception?

1 month later
#4014 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Better yet, makes you disappear and someone thinks nobody is playing the game and tries to stick quarters in your butt.

I would probably prefer a bill validator on said machine...

I think...

1 week later
#4147 4 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

But here is the predicament for us Canadians; now that our dollar has lost almost 20%... if we wanted to get get our money back and get some other "new" pinball, it would cost us about 1700$ more! (At least for those that were in early on the purchase, like me)

If you preordered thru JJP you would (should?) be refunded in USD so no issue.

If you preordered domestically (from who? does Starburst distribute JJP?) in CDN dollars that would be unfortunate. But on the upside, you would be getting the machine for the old CDN price and could sell it into the US somewhat below the USD MSRP and still make CDN profit.

2 months later
#5352 4 years ago

Huh... I much prefer the VUK return wireforms from the video as opposed to the current version. Mustn't have worked well or something? Sorry if I'm late to this realization...

VUK.PNG

1 month later
#6150 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Let's just please keep in mind... It's only pinball, right??! This is supposed to be fun.

Ordinarily I would agree and used to post the same sentiments when we all fought about art, modes, quality, lighting..... but over the past few months I've seen hundreds of thousands (millions?!) of customer dollars crapped all over, sadly all in the name of pinball.

It's becoming not "only pinball" to anyone watching companies play fast and loose with customer pre-order dollars. JJP is very far from the worst offender, but they aren't operating a model business either IMO.

2 months later
#7376 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I do not see anything particularly noteworthy about Heighway's pricing or features that would put "pressure" on Stern's Prem/LE model..... Alien LE is more than $8k

Quoted from Aurich:

I think that Heighway is going to put a lot of pressure on Stern's Prem/LE side of things with their Standard pricing and the features

RobT you are comparing Heighway LE to Stern LE and I agree there is no real compelling pressure there. I THINK Aurich is comparing Heighway Standard vs Stern LE and indicating this comparison will pressure Stern.

The insinuation is that Heighway's standard models will be 'equivalent' to Stern's Prem/LEs and will be dollar for dollar a better value.

3 weeks later
#7654 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

No we mean the one with audio straight off the movie soundtrack and no original clips at all.

Huh? By my understanding half the tracks in the game are original by David Thiel (maybe you know him? ), and the female computer voice narrating portions of the game are also original. Maybe I misunderstand your statement.

There is only so much daft punk one person can listen too with no variability.

False

P.S. No Separate Ways.. Booooooooo.

100% agreed

#7656 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

You are misunderstanding. I meant i hate daft punk LOL

Well that's even worse

Interesting connection between daft punk and pinball:

http://www.space-eight.com/Daft_Punk_Helmets.html
http://www.space-eight.com/pinballSelect.html

Brian Cox is quite the fellow. Hope to meet him someday.

#7715 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Cool Hobbit updates.

Thread may have derailed a tad...

train-derail-o.gif

#7757 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I'm trying to decide if I want to still wait wait wait or get a stern with wrinkled decals. Help me decide.

Quoted from Skyemont:

I'm trying to decide if I want to still wait wait wait or get a stern with wrinkled decals. Help me decide.

Quoted from Skyemont:

Quoted from Skyemont:

Quoted from MrBally:

Love the "improved" Pinside that does not show that you successfully posted so you re-post over and over.....

double_double.jpg

2 weeks later
#8181 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Please post why there was 2 upper flippers and what Smaug was originally supposed to be...don't have the time to listen.

Paraphrasing my interpretation:

Upper flippers were going to be used for increased or special scoring but they couldn't reliably determine if those flippers were used for the shot. Only the right one remains for the Smaug kill shot. Talked about a set of upper flipper buttons. Alternatively sensors near the flippers to determine if they were used - none seemed like good/working ideas.

Smaug was intended to be under the PF. The ball would come around the old 360 loop ramp and be held in place for Smaug to emerge and open his mouth for the ball to roll in, then he would hide again. Talked about Smaugs head being similar in scale to the Godzilla head but with moving parts (jaw). The idea ended up not receiving the support it needed for something that large in scope so it never fully materialized. He indicates that mostly they ran out of time on it both internally and with the licensor.

#8221 4 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I cut JJP a little slack because the pre-order model completely imploded in the last year...

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the pre-order pinball model start with JJP?

#8231 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

No. Started much earlier than that with BBB.

Good point. That was before my time - It also didn't go well if I understand. I guess JJP merely resurrected the idea then.

Us pinheads never do learn...

#8235 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It was delayed, but it ended VERY well for the buyers. They got their machines which ballooned in value substantially. Best pre-order ever probably.

Yeah the end result +10 years of time healing has masked some pretty rocky roads during the process from what I understand. Maybe it wasn't that bad - it certainly wasn't as bad as JPOP/SkitB (so far) - but there were times it seemed almost as bad if I understand.

In any case it's off topic which I apologise for. I'm done on the topic for now

1 week later
#8448 4 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Not premature at all. I just bought one from Kevin Gaskins and I should have it by middle of next week.

Nailed it

get.gif

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 27.50
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside