Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindome.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#305 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Same here. It's going to be interesting to hear just what type of toys are filling up the IO board more then WOZ. Here's some guesses I have for the toys and features.
1. 11 drop targets.
2. Three of the five Smaug drop targets (the three on the right) may be a rising / lowering drop target bank similar to the one Tron and Attack from Mars. Personally I'm hoping the three targets are a moving target bank so players have some way to attack Smaug.
3. We know there are 4 pop up's in the middle of the playfield but are they all going to be character pop ups? I'm going to guess that one of the pop ups is a trap door and that a couple of them will have targets not only on the front but the back as well. Each pop up can be hit from behind by either shooting one of the ramp shots for the upper two pop ups or hitting the orbits for the lower pop ups.
4. Smaug will be interactive on at least the level of the castle in MM if not more.
5. We haven't seen everything under the playfield. Jack said something along the lines of a lot happening under the playfield in the machine as a lot happens underground in the movie. There could very well be a lower mini playfield.

Panzer,

Can you break it down. How many total slots are in the WOZ IO board?

How many of those slots did they use?

Assuming that they use the same board and like Jack said they fill it, that would mean adding how many more mechs?

2 weeks later
#511 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here's the comments made about The Hobbit from TPF.
From Pinball News
"After showing a brief trailer, Jack said he had been to the JJP mid-west location to play one of the two whitewoods for The Hobbit, which he said is a very different game to The Wizard of Oz. He described how it uses the same driver board as The Wizard of Oz, but where in that game there are seventeen unused drivers, these are all used in The Hobbit.
Although the details have not been revealed yet, Jack said Smaug - the dragon - will be positioned on a mountain on the upper left side of the playfield and would interact with the ball in a couple of ways. He also described it as a strategy game with more than two controls on each side which the player can use to control what happens on the playfield."
Also about half way down the page below you will find the audio clip from when JJP spoke at TPF. Jacks comments about The Hobbit are in the first 10 minutes of the video.
http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/tpf2014/index4.html
I think the coolest thing said during the JJP panel is Jack mentioning that The Hobbit will have even more features / toys packed in then WOZ. Jack said that The Hobbit uses all 17 unused IO driver port inputs that we're not used on WOZ!

Thanks Panzer, I asked you this exact question three weeks ago, better late than never. Thanks : ))

#680 5 years ago
Quoted from riverinapinball:

100,000 is $100 each on 1000 machines. Not that expensive.

$66 each on the 1,500 LE's add in the standards and it is way less than $50 per game. That seems like a well invested $50 dollars per game to have custom speech.

5 months later
#1780 5 years ago

Does anyone know or have a feeling on how many The Hobbit Limited Editions are available?

I believe 1,500 was the total number being produced.

2 months later
#3373 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinister:

Standard in 3D

Going in two days -- did you like the 3D?

1 week later
#3545 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Does Prismatic really give free swatches to people other than shops who use their powder?

They sent me samples of the SE & LE

#3550 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Very cool. What are the samples sprayed on? Metal? Or something else?

They are applied to a very thin piece of metal, 1" X 3"

#3552 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I don't suppose a picture of those posted on here would help that much for us on the fence or would it? Your thoughts between the 2 colors?

I could not do a any better than what has been shown already. The gold color I order that is the closest to what Alex is going to use is Roman Gold # 1638. Alex said that it will have a more aged appearance then the sample.

I liked the gold better, for sure personal preference here.

1 month later
#4237 4 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

That's bs you are forced to get a certain colour smaug and have to pay 200$ extra to change it.

I agree.

I also remember hearing something from Jack about a choice of Dragon Heads irregardless of which model you purchase.

3 weeks later
#4496 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Since JJP did not meet their "contractual obligation"; I wonder what the penalty is?

I don't know what the "penalty" will be but what ever that "penalty" will be, it will probably be a lot better for JJP to pay that "penalty".

If JJP had not retooled Hobbit I was out for sure as I'm sure many others would have been as well. We will all get a better game because JJP did not meet their "contractual obligation" and I'm all good with that.

#4508 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Since JJP did not meet their "contractual obligation"; I wonder what the penalty is?

Don't forget that Jackson and the studio originally planned to release The Hobbit in summer of 2014 but they pushed the release back to Christmas 2014.

Timelines change it's the way of the world. If I have to wait a few more months for my game, I feel pretty damn lucky to have such atrocious first world problems.

#4511 4 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

So you are saying Jack was given six extra months and is still late.

No I am saying timelines change, and I am pretty damn fortunate to have a Hobbit on order. I can also get my money back or sell it at a profit if I wish.

77 if this is one of your big problems in life you too are damn fortunate.

We just helped a village in Tanzania install a local well. They used to have to walk almost three miles to get water. First world pinball wait times seem pretty minor when you compare them to 90%+ of the worlds population.

77 appreciate what you have not what you don't have.

1 month later
#5250 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You are right, a lot of people will shrug and accept it.
Which is sad, really.

What are the other options?

Cancel your order and pay the $9,000+ vs the $7,500 if you want back in?

Go to JJP and help expedite the parts orders?

It's ready when it's ready don't like it, don't buy it, don't pre order!!

Jack is not sitting around his lair holding things up just to f**k with with you. He wants this game rolling more than any one of us.

People wanted a better game than what was shown at Expo. He listened and made a better game, changes take time for most of us that bought the game waiting for a better product is worth the extra time. This isn't a J-pop or TBL thing Jack really wants to put out the best pin he can and it is not to far off.

Good thing he changed the game because if he didn't I was out and I'm still not sure I'm taking delivery but sure as hell I'm not on here bitching that it's taking longer because he wanted to build a better game.

1 week later
#5607 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Can you make JPOP an "offer" as well

^^^^^ Freaking funny but sad : )) - : ((

2 weeks later
#5992 4 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

You might be happier in the long run if you order directly from JJP and end up getting one of the machines produced later. I got a later WOZ and can't stop singing its praises.

This is great advise, I pushed my delivery way back and have had a flawless WOZECLE experience. Only problem is that is everyone delays delivery JJP will never start making Hobbits.

2 weeks later
#6108 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

I would not be at all surprised if I don't see my game until 2016, disappointed yes, but I have nobody to blame but myself. I was an early WoZ pre-order as well. So fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I can live with the shame though, the game will be epic as WoZ currently is. I'm sure I'll get it eventually and will enjoy it. This will be my last pre-order though, getting too old for this. I'll just stick to games that are shipping from here on out.

I am even getting a bit frustrated but then I think about the guys in Magic Girl, Predator, Big Lebowski etc. and it eases the pain a bit.

This is my last preorder (probably).

2 months later
#7566 4 years ago

We need to also look at the resale of these machines.

Here is the dreaded car analogy ---- Buy a new car drive it three years, how much of the value did you lose? 40%+!

I bought WOZECLE for $6,500 (no tax & no shipping) and have played the hell out of it with ZERO issues. I can probably sell it for what I paid for it and have had an awesome time playing the game. Same probably holds true for The Hobbit at $7,500. So yeah the the upfront cost is high and the preorder ride can be a bit long but to have this much fun playing the game and get my money back or even possibly make a couple bucks is not a bad investment.

Also I may be a bit unusual in that I don't mind the wait, it is interesting to watch the game reveal and entertaining to watch you guys on here get your panties in a wad every time Jack slips the delivery date. The game is taking longer to build than originally projected, those of us that ordered get a better game because of it --- there could be worse things!!

reposted from another thread

1 week later
#7877 4 years ago

cite="#2638759">Nope. And I'm unlikely to ever buy any JJP honestly, for one simple reason: they're too expensive. Someone just started that "what's your max?" thread about buying pinballs, and I said the most I've ever spent is $7200 (METLE), and I hope to never top that. I'd maybe consider it if I could get one for $7500 shipped, I could push my price point a little, but that's already stretching it, and I think the standards are at least $8k now right? And shipping on top of that? Not 100% sure.

Full Throttle LE is over $9,000 US Dollars plus shipping.

I purchased Hobbit Smaug LE for $7,500 including shipping.

In my opinion Hobbit appears to better bang for the buck. Bonus having my preorder money with Jack and not in the market saved me some coin. : ((

Aurich, Jack does say some things that can rub us Pinsiders the wrong way but the guy is passionate about pinball! So I take some bad with a lot of the good. I like the fact he is on here on giving his opinion Good, Bad or Ugly. Hobbit updates have been few and far between, so what the hell are these guys gonna talk about if Jack doesn't come on and stir things up from time to time. : ))

#7891 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Where did you pull that $9k number from?
$7500 is a solid price, and with shipping? Awesome. I could hang with that. But that's seriously the upper limit of what I can justify spending on a freaking pinball. As much as I love the hobby there gets to be a point where it's too nuts. I make pretty decent money, but I'm not rolling in it. Upper middle class, not rich. And after a while it's just too crazy for me. I could buy it if I really wanted it, it's not outside my reach, but it's hard to justify.

I went on H.P.'s site and converted the discount price of 5,750 english pounds for a Full Throttle LE to US Dollars = $9,032

#7895 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The U.S. price is quoted right on the site. And shipping is local, not overseas, from US distribution site. So same price as JJP or Stern to ship.
If we're gonna compare dicks you can't suddenly hand me a ruler with longer inches!

Quoted from Aurich:

The U.S. price is quoted right on the site. And shipping is local, not overseas, from US distribution site. So same price as JJP or Stern to ship.
If we're gonna compare dicks you can't suddenly hand me a ruler with longer inches!

I just clicked buy and the price defaulted to English Pounds.

Looks like the U.S. price is $7,950, plus shipping, plus $200 for credit card payment, getting very close to $9,000 delivered.

$7,500 Hobbit Smaug LE delivered is looking more and more like a deal but you gotta ride the preorder roller coaster.

We should probably blame Aurich for the Hobbit being so late! If it wasn't for his so many great ideas Hobbit would be rolling down the line by now. Seriously, great job Aurich my Hobbit will be a whole lot better because of you!!!

I am very excited to see Alien knowing you are involved in the art.

1 week later
#8236 4 years ago

Does anyone know or have a reasonable guess as to how many Smaug SE's will be built vs the 1,500 LE's?

#8405 4 years ago
Quoted from Dalbok:

I haven't been 100% sure either which is why I switched to the SE. Since the SE had the limited window I decided to pick that with the thinking that if I really wanted to later I could switch back to the LE. It was the decision that kept the most options on the table but you have a fair point nonetheless.

Same strategy that I used when switching to the SE, easier to go back to LE vs get locked out of the SE. Plus I really did like the SE better. Now with new trim I really like the SE even more.

They are all good and it is really nice to have a choice.

Has Alex commented on this new trim? Are you doing the powder? Paging Alex do you have an opinion old vs new - differences etc?

1 week later
#8602 4 years ago

Sweat update, hope Jack continues to deliver interesting updates all the way up to when games are shipping. Keep the buzz going - I am looking forward to my SE, glad I hung in there.

Maybe it's just me but as the video teaser ends it's pretty cool how that video forms the backglass of the game in the JJP ad. Well done JP.

Oh and Gandalf sounds pretty damn good.

2 weeks later
#8776 4 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Hopefully he also tones down the price

That made me laugh

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 21.00
6,895 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Dallas, TX
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindome.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside