Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metahugh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9551 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

lol....decal upgrade....
I can only imagine the pitchforks and torches if Stern ever required a $400 charge for premium DECALS!
I wonder whats next?
$200 if you actually want your game tested before it ships
$500 for a "thicker glossier" clear on the playfield
JJP is definitely breaking new ground in the area of selling upgrades to your order.... Jack must have worked in a car dealership is a former lifetime

The decals that are standard on the Hobbit are pretty nice print quality wise so I can't see paying the extra $400 for the upgraded decals. You don't have to buy them if you don't want them.

The clear doesn't need to be any thicker, the standard clear on the Hobbit playfields is very nice. It is much nicer than what Stern puts on their fields by far.

#9597 3 years ago
Quoted from B9:

I think this was a bug because I haven't encountered it in version 1.01 of the code

I think it is a bug as well. The game tells you to hit the right ramp to load the arrow and the insert is lit but the ball just drains. It has happened to me multiple times.

#9599 3 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Have you had it happen while running the 1.01 code ?

I'm not certain but I will be putting in some quality time this week which I will video and put on YouTube and Twitch.

#9614 3 years ago

I put about an hour's worth of gameplay up here:

The last game starting at the 46:30 mark is the best, the rest is typical play from me

#9618 3 years ago
Quoted from B9:

I like the video with both the screen and playfield
What angle and flipper strength is your game set at ?

I am using what came with my game out of the box. The playfield is at 7 degrees.

What is interesting to me is my game shows that the coils were changed from the factory and are not the defaults.

IMG_4370_(resized).JPG

#9636 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Notes on the video explain the audio issues. It's a feed from the headphone jack

I just ordered a new shielded cable that will hopefully clean up that noise. If not I will place my mic next to the top of the head for better sound. The sound on this game is nothing short of amazing. The quality is so crisp and clear.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Also, does it seem like the pop ups have the ability to pop up differently in terms of motion? Sometimes I see the pop ups going immediately up and other times its more of a rapid back and forth motion at mid height.

The mechs use a flipper coil to bring them up and keep them up so there can be a lot of control over how they move, all dependent on how Keith codes the game. I suspect what you are seeing though is the switch for the beast head is gapped too tightly and it thinks it was hit and goes right back down. You have to be careful how much of a gap there is, if the gap is too close it will get a false trigger and if the gap is too wide you won't get that cool hit from the rear (the back stab).

#9688 3 years ago
Quoted from B9:

That's because you did the delta update and it doesn't update the settings.
I had the same results and moved my main flippers to 22 after the delta upgrade but didn't touch any of the other settings.
I set my playfield to 9 degrees for fast action

Thanks! I didn't mess with the settings since I got the game and now that I have updated I wonder what the defaults are for .81. I checked my settings and 22 is the default for flippers with the new code. IIRC the default for the ball trough VUK is 8 which is way too low, my game set at that couldn't eject a ball. I had to set it to 22 which seems like a good setting.

I just received my new shielded audio cable and tested it out on my lunch break. It cleared up all of the audio issues I was having. So my stream and upload to YouTube this evening will be so much better. My play... probably not much of an improvement

#9692 3 years ago
Quoted from B9:

» YouTube video
Looking good
What do you use to capture the video ?

I'm using three Logitech C920 web cams. Let me tell you they weren't built to run all on the same PC, it took some doing to make them work correctly.

#9702 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I didn't watch the whole video yet, but wow! This is the best video and representation of hobbit I've seen yet. Well done! Is this Hugh's setup? May I ask what pitch you have the game at? And it looked like you may have changed the difficulty to light lock, no? I'll watch the rest tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!! I'm glad to hear it looks and sounds good. Someone on YouTube commented that the audio levels were a little low, does it sound good to you? I have been lowering the levels of the mic and I raised the level of the game's output to the highest level.

I have my pitch set at 7 degrees and I did change the lock setting. The default is 3, I have it set at 4. It can be configured between 1 and 6 with one being the easiest and 6 being the hardest. I felt that with the default setting it was too easy to start Smaug multiball but technically if you pay attention you can skip locks by pressing the ring button. I haven't tried any of the other settings.

Quoted from mof:

Thanks for shooting the vid above, that really helps me evaluate the game. Some quick notes:
+ This game looks like it shoots extremely well. I am a big fan of the balance of shots, 2 spinners, 3 banks of drops, 3 flippers, and the absence of mini-playfields. I'm open to the idea that it may very well be the best layout of all time. We'll see... I cannot wait to play this in person.
- As for the audio. I listened to it while coding (with the video off), and I gotta tell you, it was very... "frenetic" -- I gotta say -- it didn't sound like a pinball machine *at all* to me, it sounded like a cat attacking a dvd remote, and not letting any scene on a movie finish out. Does that make sense? Listen to the audio in isolation... Does that stop/start/stop/start movie soundtrack feel work for you? Not me.
-mof

I agree, the audio really pulls it together and is altogether a different pinball experience than any other game I have ever owned. I find myself getting distracted by the videos on the backbox quite often. I still haven't seen the movies so I think the little video clips are a distraction to me right now. Not a bad thing though!!

I tested taking my videos with and without the direct input from the headphone jack this morning and having it connected definitely helps with the clarity of the audio in my videos. Someday when I'm not streaming or recording I would like to try out a pair of headphones for an extended length of time. I love the use of stereo in this game! I tried headphones once when I first setup the game and with the headphones it will switch from the left to right channel often. It of course does that with the backbox speakers but the effect is much more pronounced with the headphones on. Maybe I will pickup a splitter and see how that works, hopefully it doesn't introduce any noise into my recording setup.

I just played another hour or so and it is uploading now:

#9703 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Thanks!! I'm glad to hear it looks and sounds good. Someone on YouTube commented that the audio levels were a little low, does it sound good to you? I have been lowering the levels of the mic and I raised the level of the game's output to the highest level.
I have my pitch set at 7 degrees and I did change the lock setting. The default is 3, I have it set at 4. It can be configured between 1 and 6 with one being the easiest and 6 being the hardest. I felt that with the default setting it was too easy to start Smaug multiball but technically if you pay attention you can skip locks by pressing the ring button. I haven't tried any of the other settings.

I agree, the audio really pulls it together and is altogether a different pinball experience than any other game I have ever owned. I find myself getting distracted by the videos on the backbox quite often. I still haven't seen the movies so I think the little video clips are a distraction to me right now. Not a bad thing though!!
I tested taking my videos with and without the direct input from the headphone jack this morning and having it connected definitely helps with the clarity of the audio in my videos. Someday when I'm not streaming or recording I would like to try out a pair of headphones for an extended length of time. I love the use of stereo in this game! I tried headphones once when I first setup the game and with the headphones it will switch from the left to right channel often. It of course does that with the backbox speakers but the effect is much more pronounced with the headphones on. Maybe I will pickup a splitter and see how that works, hopefully it doesn't introduce any noise into my recording setup.
I just played another hour or so and it is uploading now:
» YouTube video

Well crap. My software didn't output 1080P when recording, it scaled it down to 720p.

Oh well I guess I have to play it some more and upload another vid

#9705 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yea, the audio levels were a little low.

Thanks for the heads up! Was it the game audio or the mic? (coils, me speaking, etc?)

#9711 3 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

On the first upload, the game audio (music and call outs) was a little too low. I could barely hear the call outs to know what was going on, even with the volume maxed out on my iPad.
On the upload yesterday, the music and call outs were fine on the last upload, but the coils were a little too loud, like you were playing with the glass off. I could also hear you speaking on the last video, which I don't recall hearing on the first video.
Of the two, the 2nd video was easier to follow, but the mechanical sounds of the pin were still a little too high.
Overall, I love the 3-camera setup. Best video I have seen to date from a viewer's perspective.

Thanks, that is excellent feedback! I will work on the level balance some more. I listened to a little bit of the latest upload and I definitely hear myself talking more than I remember.

Here is my recording setup:

Hobbit_Rec_Setup_HBM_(resized).jpg

Having the microphone right above the game contributes greatly to how loud the sound of the coils and my voice are.

Quoted from cooked71:

Great video thanks for sharing. Your setup plays really fast. And the flippers are more than powerful enough. Did you increase flipper strength and/or any other coil strength?

Everything is at stock settings except for the trough VUK which was increased to 22 from the default of 8. At the default the game couldn't kick a ball out.

#9717 3 years ago
Quoted from B9:

That way more elaborate than me clipping a point and shoot camera to a tripod wedged in the ceiling
The videos are great!
Try getting it in the barrels a few times and one of the drop targets will go up under Smaug, I think this advances something about the barrel or something.

My previous setup was just a single mounting point on my ceiling and a single HD camcorder which I use to capture the DMD and the playfield. I use Cyberlink Powerdirector and I put my video twice in my timeline so can have a separate DMD and playfield section of the video. It works fine for DMD games but this game needed something different to capture the huge LCD in the backbox

I hope a lot of us put up videos of this game in action in whatever format they can. I am really enjoying the gameplay so far! You are clearly a better player than I so please continue to post more vids

Quoted from visi0n:

Is your Hobbit's VGA port free, like it is on WOZ or do they have that tied up for the storybook screen / thing? If it is free, you can go into a VGA->DVI converter and into a game capture card, using the capture card as a source in XSplit (or whatever you are using) to get pure game audio and video. If it isn't free, you can still do something similar with a pair of splitters. (Split the DVI, then go into a DVI to HDMI converter, then split the vga, vga->hdmi converter.)
The elgato capture card works pretty well, though I don't know if most notebooks would be happy powering two at once

I can see buying some capture equipment someday. I may want to upgrade my PC first, right now I am rocking an old i7-960.

I want to thank Pinsider Lou for making me aware of something I didn't know. The headphone jack's volume is affected by the main game volume! I had my volume set at 22 for the main which is part of the reason why the sound levels from the game were so low. I am testing volume levels but it sounds like 30 is a good setting so far.

The only problem for me is my game room is upstairs and 30 is too loud for night play. Right now I have the game output to my line in and I am using my PC to monitor the sound so I can listen to the game and record at the same time. I will probably buy a splitter so I can wear my headphones while I play and record. The built-in speakers in my monitor aren't doing the game justice

1 month later
#9773 3 years ago
Quoted from Bizzenya:

Man, it feels like there was a big drop off in hype for the Hobbit after it released. Seems like they are still pretty scarce in the wild though. Maybe it will pick up after more people see them out of location?

I think some of us owners aren't posting because of all the negativity on here. Some people don't seem to understand that everyone has their own opinion and just because I don't agree with you doesn't make either of us right or wrong.

I love my Hobbit so far and I am excited for the future. 1.10 was a game changer in my opinion, it totally transformed the game. In my personal collection it offers something the others do not. Right now my collection is SM, IMVE and HB. I like the different play styles each game offers.

It may feel a tad bit slower but I agree with the comment about the playfield being bigger so it can give you the impression of being bigger and slower. Those flippers can hit the ball with the same amount of force the Stern games can so the velocity of the ball is the same. Try stacking beast and Smaug multiballs at the same time and then tell me if you still think it's slow and boring!!

4 months later
#9995 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

A lot of us actually enjoy those what you are calling filler modes. I like the hurry up ones and the shoot the ramp ones and the bash the spider ones.

When you aren't the best player in the world, an easy to achieve mode is a blessing!!

3 weeks later
#10039 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Woohoo! Just got "the call" from Jen that my THLE is shipping today - no early call that it is on the line for me! Now if I can just get that Escalera that I ordered a couple of weeks ago shipped in time. My wife (a avid pinhead too) does not know that I bought the TH yet. She does know about the Escalera though - she pushed me to get that. This will either be a good surprise or a begging for forgiveness surprise. It was supposed to be a birthday surprise for her back in June, but ...
Excited for the pin, but nervous for the "surprise" response.
Order date for my LE was in late Oct 2015 (a little over a year ago), so they must be catching up ... at least with the LE's.

You are going to love it, congrats!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Ridgeland, WI
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metahugh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside