Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lotr-hobbit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3289 5 years ago

I am so perplexed by all of the heat and possibly the bit of light that has been generated on Pinside about this game. I profoundly applaud JJP for its willingness ( and Jack's personal willingness) to put early versions of TH out their for people to see and ultimately criticize. Although I agree the Pinside community has ultimately improved the play and value of the new game, it has come an a significant cost to the production time-line and total number of sales of this machine(see all of the cancellations of the pre- order of TH). As an owner of LOTR and some other games, and as someone who has played pinball for 50 years, I understand Stern's shock and awe approach to the marketplace with 3 games a year produced, vault editions, and relicensing deals. But at some point, we need to recognize and value what Jack has done and is doing. I opened a NIM WOZ recently, and it is simply the most visually stunning pin I have ever seen. And that was before the LCD screen was turned on. I marvel about how excited the community has become when a new color DMD has been announced. Great. How about an LCD for LOTR or MM??? Bottom line.......give Jack a lot of slack here. He is producing a different, higher level product than either Stern or Dutch pinball.

2 weeks later
#3449 5 years ago

I think it helps to keep the whole TH design process in perspective. It has been a long and arduous journey with a lot of challenges including the departure of J.B. and the multiple reboots following substantial criticism by the pinball community of earlier versions. But in the end, it appears this game will have a great chance, depending on its play, call outs, theme, code, and music. It's really hard to build a top five machine(ask Stern). But at least Jersy Jack is delivering quality games(see TBL). Only time will tell for TH, but that is ultimately the nature if this business.

3 months later
#5007 5 years ago

I am perplexed. At times, the analysis on this forum is spot on and frankly, refreshing. At other times, the comments seem to kind of take the shine off of things. I have a TH pre-order which I converted to THSE. Granted, it has been so long ago since I made payment, I cannot even remember when I did it. Was it 2013? Or 2014? But I think that is the nature of the pre-order. I am anxious about when production begins and honestly, will not be 100% comfortable until I actually receive the game, but at least I am not experiencing the angst of ordering a TBL. Anyway, I would wish we could be more understanding of the viscissitudes of the whole pre-order and JJP deal. The world is a better place with more manufactures than just Stern ( even though I own 3 Stern games). I wish JJP the best, but I expect only the best from them also.

#5047 5 years ago

In the TPF presentation, Jack implied he is still 30 days back ordered on WOZ and continues to receive multiple orders daily. Assuming he can run only one game line at a time, it seems he would be motivated to continue to produce WOZ and delay TH. At this point, each new WOZ order is bringing in "new" money, and probably at decent net margin. He is into the most profitable portion of the production cycle, so he will want to continue to make WOZ as long as there is demand. Interestingly, he stated he has already shipped 2500 WOZ's (I wish Stern published his numbers.....I wonder how many Wrestlemania's he has sold), continues to build more, has TH ready to go, has Pat's 3rd game well into development, and even mentioned a FOURTH game! It appears he has withstood the viscissitudes(there's that word again, ha ha) of developing a new pinball business from the ground up. Congratulations Jersey Jack!

#5052 5 years ago

I understand your consternation. However, at the end of the day, Jack needs to satisfy his bottom line as well as that of his investors. He cannot refuse new money in favor of the money he has already collected. I regret the fact that he is sitting on my $7500 collected two years ago. But in the current benign interest rate environment, I still would rather pay $7500 two years ago than $9000 today. That assumes an 8% annual ROI. Not necessarily an easy return. If you are unhappy, you can ask for a refund and never pre-order again. Pre- orders carry inherent risk. Look at TBL fiasco. If, at some point, this deal no longer makes sense to me, I will call Jen and ask for a refund. But we are not to that point yet.

#5057 5 years ago

Again, I understand your unhappiness with the whole Hobbit delay. I too am not happy to tie up cash with JJP that I could have invested elsewhere. But I wanted this game and I still want it. But I also recognize that Jack needs to maintain a profitable business. WOZ may not have been a home run, but it was at least a triple. He needs to build some equity in case one of his games is a flop. He needs to sell as many high net margin WOZ's as he can. He needs to prepare in case one of his subsequent games is a Wrestlemania or RCT.
From our perspective, the pinball market is tough. Either you buy the latest Stern offering, or you buy from someone else with added baggage like pre-orders. Consider the whole TBL situation. I became an instant convert with JJP when I opened a new WOZ. A beautiful LED, a headphone and stereo jack, and the most extensive diagnostic and documentative software ever makes so much sense to me. And soon, presumably WiFi capability on future games.
Bottom line......I really look forward to getting my Hobbit. I had hoped to receive it late this Fall, but now I suspect I will not receive it until 2016. I am disappointed, but I recognize pinball manufacturing is a cottage industry and is subject to many uncertainties. I think it is enormously healthy to have more than one major manufacturer in the market place, so I am still willing to cut Jersey Jack some slack. If that does not work from your perspective, I understand. You might consider calling Jen for a refund and buy a Stern instead. I like a lot of the Stern games. And, they are available now. But personally, I will hold pat for now with my Hobbit pre- order.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Virginia Beach, VA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Neepawa, MB
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lotr-hobbit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside