Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kidvid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2215 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Bet they do but just cant show them or discuss.

Let's say for the sake of argument that JJP was shown an early (but probably mostly edited) version of the 3rd film 6 months ago, and that they started to incorporate art and sound assets from the 3rd film into a prototype late summer.

I don't see how JJP could pull this off without having multiple physical prototypes, unless they were never planning on doing any demos and we can see that wasn't in the cards because they have done two demos so far with another coming later this month.

That would mean that the prototype that people are seeing now is probably a very old prototype, at least one major revision behind.

#2225 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Jean-Paul de Win stated during his presentation on the DPO 2014 that they do not have access to any of assets of the third movie. However, he did mention they received some kind of script so they know how the story goes.
Indeed the cabinet art seems to be an exception.

That seems like a very strange way to structure the contract with the movie studio - create a pin based on 3 movies but don't expect any of the art assets from the 3rd movie. If I had to guess, I'd say that maybe the way the movie studio designed it was that they were under no obligation to provide the assets. I'm guessing from the cabinet art that something might have voluntarily changed though.

1 week later
#2468 5 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

Teeth are still in the works just did not have them done for Iappa

Where did you hear this? That's really good news!

#2475 5 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

I am the one making them
Also don't know if anyone had noticed but I had the new goblin and orc on the game at expo. So the faces have been redone as well.

Did you also handle the tweaked Smaug sculpt? It looks really good with the smaller coins.

#2513 5 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

It's still a bad playfield lay-out...

As someone who is new to the hobby and quite ignorant as to what's a good or bad layout, why do you feel this is the case?

1 month later
#3737 5 years ago

Can anyone tell if the pin in the video has a playfield protector or the thicker decals?

#3739 5 years ago

Hi Jen,

For a home use setting, would there be any advantage to getting thicker decals or a PF? I.e., would a PF preclude one from needing to clean the playfield with novus once or twice a year?

1 week later
#4003 5 years ago

As someone who is in the queue to get one of these, this is something that worries me a lot. I'd like it if the game were to slow down or stop at the appropriate moments so I can enjoy some of the special effects shown on the LCD.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Regarding the shot between the pops...
The shot as it is today feels like a waste of space in my opinion. I think that area would benefit from a saucer type shot with kick out like the wizard shot in WOZ. That type of shot feels much more meaningful and interesting then just shooting between an open area and having an opto pick up the shot.
The ball rarely stops in TH and a saucer shot would briefly allow it to so that the player can look at the mini LCD or main LCD for certain notifications. The saucer shot would be perfect for collecting rewards, starting modes, and more while allowing the player to see some cool animations in the process.

1 week later
#4081 5 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Agree, JJp is having a hard time integrating the book. Sacrificed perhaps one of the best touches in the barrel pops to wedge in the book. Look at relocating it to the Apron!! Restore the barrels characters, add a 3rd!!

I agree! It would make so much more sense to have the secondary LCD in the apron and flesh out the barrel riders with another toy. Is what we see set in stone or is Jack still considering tweaks like this before production?

#4106 5 years ago

For what it's worth.

On the JJP Google group, there's a thread discussing the placement of the LCD book. In this thread, someone named Andy posted this today: "Let's hope the design is done."

A few minutes later, Jack reply to Andy with: "Done! Best Regards, Jack"

#4111 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

My question is, who would post 'Let's hope the design is done" when there is so much that could be improved, or dare I say corrected.

I can't say why but I do know that he's a WOZ owner.

1 week later
#4384 5 years ago

Is anyone buying one of these just for home use only seriously considering getting the playfield protector?

I've decided against the decals, but for $150 the playfield protector is tempting. Looking at pictures of old pinball machines for sale, it seems like the decals are usually in pretty good shape compared to the playfield - especially the ball ramp area.

#4388 5 years ago

Aren't some folks sticking these on their WOZs?

3 weeks later
#4547 5 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

parts suppliers was the excuse used with WOZ

If not that, then what would you consider to be a valid excuse?

#4552 5 years ago

I'd argue that if this was a software application, then it wouldn't be a big deal to release it on time with the promise of some patches. However, given that this is a mechanical device and you can't "patch" a physical change to the design, I don't see how anyone could give them any flak for letting them refine the product some more even if it means a missed deadline.

2 weeks later
#4912 5 years ago

Does the TPF machine have a playfield protector and if so, how did it look? I put in an order with one from Jen for my home use machine, but given the feedback from the Ohio demo, I'm considering cancelling it.

#4929 5 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

That third flipper is going to rip that upper left ramp apart if it is set too high...still no idea why it's designed that way...
Hopefully the flippers can all be set individually...

Would have a PF protector make any difference here?

2 weeks later
#5444 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

I really really do not understand you have TH on order. It must me that you like to talk BS, otherwise I cannot find a valid explanation.

It only makes sense if it's BS. Most people that felt that negatively about the hobbit would have canceled their pre-order long ago.

#5450 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Thanks to you asshats constantly harping on them, there will be ZERO discussion of Pat's game. No pre-order, no info, nothing until it's ready for production.
So, yeah, awesome work guys!

The thing is - JJP admitted that the feedback made it a better product than it would have been without the feedback. In other words, I don't think they walked with the lesson that all feedback is just bothersome noise and that there's no value in gathering it.

Instead, I think the conclusion they came to is that it's a big pain in the ass to implement last minute changes, no matter how well deserved they are. It's a lot easier on their part to just say "here ya go," without the kind of public "beta" testing that the Hobbit went through.

What I'm really getting at here is that they know that public feedback makes a better product, but it has a negative impact on the manufacturing timeline, so I figure they're thinking that if Stern can sell a lot of units without a public feedback cycle, they should be able to release a game without one too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kidvid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside