Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jsrfo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1688 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Good call. I'm glad somebody mentioned the cheap crap Stern uses on their games. JJP had the first bumpers I'd seen that were sculpted, but everyone just takes that for granted now.
The Hobbit Troll, CraZ, is welcome to come to my house and play mine when he realizes how great the game is and can't buy one anymore. I'll even hand him some Kleenex.

Just want to mention that going back to 1994, Stargate had some cool resin sculpted toys on it, including two sculpted Mastages for bumper caps (with a lit ring below them) and a rising Horus and Anubis, and of course, the glidercraft. Very cool, especially for their time, and well integrated from the movie.

I own Stargate, and seeing the similarity between its sculptures and the WOZ sculptures swung me to the purchase of the WOZ. Wish I could afford The Hobbit (or any other NIB for that matter), but the wife would probably kill me.

Moving on to the current debate, how anyone can compare 1960's-ish lit bumper caps, dimestore toys and action figures on the playfield to what JJP has been doing? (Deep breath, waiting for the Pinside barrage of Fanboy remarks).

You don't have to like every aspect of every piece on every game. The WOZ trees are excellent, but the witch could have been executed better. But, within the game, it is good, and no one looks at it and says that it's mesed up. Everyone knows what it is, and isn't that the point? I suspect the Hobbit will be the same.

To me, JJP is making an attempt to return to the good days of the 1990's with their products. We all know that it hasn't been without issue, but they have kept improving their game. At least acknowledge or respect that. In any event, more pinball manufacturers means more pinball for all of us.

#1700 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Stern hired a professional to sculpt some great looking custom toys for TWD. There are no dimestore toys and action figures on the playfield. Gregory Nicotero is an industry vet, very talented, with an extensive career, and he did some beautiful work for the game.
So just stop, it's not even true.

So I'm not bashing Matt. I'm not bashing JJP. And I'm utterly uninterested in uninformed attempts to bash Stern. I just want pinball to be great.

I generally try to stay out of the swill on these threads, and made no mention of any brand or manufacturer purposely, nor did I state anything negative towards any manufacturer or game.

You mentioned Stern, and quoted "dimestore toys and action figures" from my post in the same breath. Maybe you want to think about that. They're your words, no one else's.... You drew that conclusion.

If a debate serves to make any one manufacture step up their game in any respect, then it's good. When the debate turns sour, as it does most often on pinside, there's no value added.

You mentioned TWD, and, some of the artwork and toys I saw looked very good. Maybe you're thinking that previous efforts from Stern had "dimestore looking toys and action figures" on them when compared to TWD.

But then again, maybe I am uninformed.

#1707 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Might I ask to what/whom you were referring to with this statement:
Calling out Aurich on saying 'Stern' after you set it up that way sure seems like "jumping into the swill" to me

Maybe a little bit.

But apparently, he knew exactly what I was referencing. If he can see it and made comment on it on his own, then maybe he knows what I'm trying to convey. If so, then I think the use of the term "uninformed" is unnecessary and unwarranted. My point was taken without being said.

#1718 5 years ago
Quoted from jsrfo:

Just want to mention that going back to 1994, Stargate had some cool resin sculpted toys on it, including two sculpted Mastages for bumper caps (with a lit ring below them) and a rising Horus and Anubis, and of course, the glidercraft. Very cool, especially for their time, and well integrated from the movie.
I own Stargate, and seeing the similarity between its sculptures and the WOZ sculptures swung me to the purchase of the WOZ. Wish I could afford The Hobbit (or any other NIB for that matter), but the wife would probably kill me.
Moving on to the current debate, how anyone can compare 1960's-ish lit bumper caps, dimestore toys and action figures on the playfield to what JJP has been doing? (Deep breath, waiting for the Pinside barrage of Fanboy remarks).
You don't have to like every aspect of every piece on every game. The WOZ trees are excellent, but the witch could have been executed better. But, within the game, it is good, and no one looks at it and says that it's mesed up. Everyone knows what it is, and isn't that the point? I suspect the Hobbit will be the same.
To me, JJP is making an attempt to return to the good days of the 1990's with their products. We all know that it hasn't been without issue, but they have kept improving their game. At least acknowledge or respect that. In any event, more pinball manufacturers means more pinball for all of us.

Reading over what I wrote above, I'm not sure why the outrage. I purposely did not state anything about a manufacturer, no matter how it was perceived, and yes, it was referring to Stern. After all, a few posts prior, someone complained about the Stern bumper caps.

But my point is this, the terms "lit bumper caps", "dimestore toys", and "action figures" seem to have really resonated with those reading this thread.

If I'm off base on that, and if others aren't thinking the same thing, please, let me know. But it seems that those terms struck a universal nerve. And everyone went to the same place or logical conclusion. Why? Apparently, whatever competition for market share has developed, it appears that has driven TWD at least partially in a new direction. Isn't that a good thing?

Sure, I own a WOZ. I don't really like or dislike the witch. It's part of the game, that's all. I bought the WOZ instead of something else new, because I have an opinion of which I liked better. Now, owning a WOZ has had it's on share of issues, some well documented here. There isn't anything perfect, and I won't hide from WOZ issues either. There's a lot to like, but there are things to dislike as well.

Shouldn't have stepped into the swill...

#1729 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I can't believe for a second you're confused by this. Who else would it be? There's essentially two manufacturers of pinball machines. We're in a JJP thread and you insinuated a comparison to another manufacturer. OMG WHO COULD IT BE?!!!111
Despite how clever you seem to think your wording was, you could have used any terms you want, the fact is Stern is the 'other guy' in any comparison with JJP. It's like posting on an android phone site about a phone company that just makes the same phone every year and is copying android and is behind in tech and blah blah blah... OMG IS IT APPLE?!?!?! Wow you picked up my hints!?! Hahaha that must mean they suck cause you said apple, not me!!
Give me a break.

Lighten up, Francis.

It's a game, and this is a forum about games.

I really tried to recant my snarky/snide remarks about Stern's toys to the point where they did not need to be snarky and snide. And I probably took a little unnecessary offense to the uninformed remark. I'm disappointed with myself about that. Once posted, you can't take it back. All you can do is clarify or attempt to make amends. But my opinion remains unchanged, and my comment got a pretty visceral reaction from a few people, so there must be something to it. It just should not have come across like it did. I took liberty with the previous comment about bumper caps.

Whether someone thinks the toys Stern uses look like the stuff a three to eight year old boy plays with or not is up to that person. As I said, TWD is a big step in a better direction, if only from viewing the online pictures. Hope it continues, because a lot of Stern's games are quite fun. No competition equals a monopoly equals Status Quo. Status Quo isn't good for buyers.

#1731 5 years ago

I can't get out of my own way on this, can I? I fall on my sword....

#1747 5 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

I'll be honest though. That last one cracked me up. You really made an effort, and then...

You're right. I suppose I couldn't help myself.

My review of available pics of TWD tell me that for whatever reason, Stern has stepped up their game, and there's nothing wrong with that.

As for the Hobbit, the overall impression I get is that in the context of the game, the pieces shown here will be good representations of the movie, and they don't look to be inferior products to me, whether you like them or not.

I'll just go start a "Bash Stern Toys" thread on the Stern forum and see how that goes (just kidding).

#1752 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You've got that right. I don't have to like a person, to do my best to help them with their game.
LTG : )™

Always the gentleman.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jsrfo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside