Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hitch9.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1012 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

is that the arkenstone in the near the flippers ?

That would be my guess,, from this angle,...just a guess.

#1028 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Iis Balcer still at JJP or did he leave?

He's still there, heading up the hobbit design.

#1029 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

took my best crack at it

Nice job Frolic. Thanks

#1110 5 years ago

Wow, I had no idea either. This is big news if Pat is at the wheel.

#1151 5 years ago

Rob, I really thought he was. It floored me when I found out today.
It's all good though.

2 months later
#1401 5 years ago

That puppy looks ticked.
I wonder how many wives of pinheads look like Smaug in that poster, when their hubbies say "I bought another pin"?

1 month later
#1574 5 years ago

I'm a JJP supporter, but I think these are not what I was expecting. I hope they can pull a rabbit out of their hat at the last minute. Production is not too far away, and to go get someone to sculpt something new, get approved by Warner brothers, pass testing (bashing), then get sent out for producing, and get back in time for a late December production line, is going to be a real miracle.

#1717 5 years ago

This whole thread reminds me of the MMre coin mechanisms.
Some don't like the two heads. I think since three members of JJP posted here, and acknowledged the thoughts presented, the job is done.
Time to move on?

#1764 5 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

It's fun bashing Trolls on MM, but gets very annoying on forums.

^^^^^post of the day^^^^

#1768 5 years ago

T minus 5 seconds and counting...

3 months later
#3655 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

New Year's bump for those that missed the Hobbit music post

Nice...thanks

2 weeks later
#3890 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

They're still drop targets.

Yup, my engine in my 2012 car, is still an engine like a model T ford,
But it's just a tad different.

4 weeks later
#4376 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Mighty neighbourly of you! I appreciate the thoughtful response. Water under the bridge then?
My biggest hope for the Hobbit, rules, and final mech details aside... Is that I don't have to carry it in to my basement. Anybody have a spare Escalera??

I do. You are welcome to use it when the time comes. I'm in Mississauga.

2 months later
#5460 4 years ago

I think there is some merit to what JJP has done. Showing parts of the machine is very brave of them. It has allowed them to make changes even close to the end which has made the pin much better. It opens them up to pretty harsh critisism however. That all went along with the prepay model.
If Pats machine is the new model...ie, it's finished, and you pay for it, then there is something lost. The ability to have some changes made that might make the pin better. I understand that is the way pins were made since the 1940's, and Stern makes them that way even today, but I enjoyed some of the ideas that others that have come up with along the way with WOZ and TH. I hope the JJP team continues their open communication for game #4. Who says the old way of producing pinball machines is the right way.

1 week later
#5729 4 years ago

I'm not worried. Jack has proven he can put out a pin, fix any issues with that pin, and finalize code for it. He's also proven that he listens to potential customers and modifies the product to suit. Has this cost him some delays? Sure, but that is to be expected. I'm much more comfortable with TH compared to a lot of other pins out there. That includes Stern, which sometimes does not fix code on some of their machines for a long time, if ever. I don't want to ruffle any feathers here, but action speaks louder than
Words, and I've been happy with JJPs actions.
Stern is good too, and I have been happy with them with the exception of code updates. The others, I'm not sold on yet. I'm not a high risk person though.

#5797 4 years ago

Wow, nice long video tata. Thanks.
I'm really liking the whole package. The colors, smaug, some of the call outs....The trim color and the cabinet decals look great. Very impressed overall. Would love to play it.

#5802 4 years ago

Well the Dutch threw in a rug when they sold each TBL pinball. Maybe JJP should give a towel with each Hobbit they sell, so they can wipe down the drool on the playfield glass. Looks like a couple of folks have their mouths wide open in the picture above, when they were watching the game play.

#5803 4 years ago

A few others in the picture, have their arms crossed. Looks like their brains are in overdrive, trying to figure out how they can get one of the Hobbits, into the house without the better half knowing.

#5841 4 years ago

Awesome video Pinstym. Thanks for posting. The game really looks great. I'm sure a lot more code to come as well. Great times for pinball, for sure.

#5883 4 years ago

The videos that everyone put up, and the pictures, including comments about the game play, has been one of the biggest updates since the game was announced. It really made a difference. Thanks for everyone that went, and posted here. Greatly appreciated. Safe trips home.

#5909 4 years ago

Thanks fantasyG. Nice to hear some feedback of the pros and cons. I agree with you on appreciating the developers. Pure courage, is my opinion.
Thanks again.

#5914 4 years ago
Quoted from pindel:

Widebody loaded with beef? This game must weigh a ton. I haven't seen a game with this much hardware. No shortcuts there.

abeef.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Looks awesome, but I cringe when I think about troubleshooting a problem in all this. Yikes, but what the heck, bring it on !!!

#5935 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I wonder if the software recognizes a "u-turn" like FT does? (when it doesn't quite make it around the ramp and goes down the other entrance). They could add some kind of award for that

That's a great idea. +1

#5981 4 years ago

I had an early run WOZ and I had quite a few problems, but the silver lining to having an early machine, is I got to learn how to troubleshoot a lot of the problems, and help some others with theirs. I even sent messages to JJP to help them understand problems, so they could fix it on production. I started life as an aircraft mechanic and am a ham radio Operator, so digging into problems is fairly natural. If you aren't scared of this kind of activity, then go for an early machine. If that is something you wouldn't care to do, maybe a later run would be better. I will say this, once I got the teething problems fixed, the machine has really stood up well. It's built like a tank.

#5997 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I hope the PF board can handle it long term - I doubt there has every been a heavier playfield...

Yeah, I worry about warping. It would be a shame if a year after production starts people start complaining about a bowl in the centre of the playfield. Hope it's been considered.

2 weeks later
#6259 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I think the cab art of the LE is horrendous personally. The smaug Art is 1000x better. I do like the seaside bronze trim better than the gold, but not enough to overlook the amateur collage of art on the LE. Plus, with the SE you get an extra attract mode thrown in (not a big deal at all). Plus, it's the same price for me so it's a no-brainer to go SE.
Edit: if you like the LE art better it's a no-brainer for you. Go LE.

Yup, different tastes. I had the option to go SE when it was offered and kept the LE. Way too much Smaug and red for me on the SE. I feel the LE is way better than SE. It's all about preferences. I'm glad we had options.

#6302 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I know this has been debated before but I have two quick questions for those in on the hobbit:
1) Do you think cliffy's will be available for install when delivered (are they 'standard' size?)
2) PF protector or not? I want to skip because I think it could lose that PF shine sooner - but I don't want to risk too much damage to the PF. Are you guys going with the PF protector?
Also, I think I am going to skip the Radcals because it is going in my home - and I usually baby my things - so I don't think it will be needed. I guess I can always put them on latter.

I don't think cliffys will be available right away. I helped him with WOZ, as did a couple of other people. Cliffy needs a playfield, and pictures of the parts around the holes, and how the parts are attached. I would think that info will happen within the first month and a half of production, and then he has to manufacture a set and then trial install them. I was part of that trial install on WOZ along with another pinhead. It takes a couple of weeks for that. These will probably not be standard.

As for the playfield protector, I personally think it's overkill.

#6303 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Tell that to the guys with HUO WoZs with chipped playfields.

I had a chipped playfield. I put some Mylar on and cliffys and it's been fine since. I would prefer a few bits of strategically placed Mylar instead of a whole playfield protector. My 2 cents.
Note, I had an early playfield which was prone to chipping. The new vendor playfield JJP are using now, have had no reports of chipping. Another reason it's overkill.

2 weeks later
#6455 4 years ago

David, you did a great job with your presentation. I wasn't very excited about my Hobbit purchase until I heard your presentation. Your work is really "epic" and I'm looking forward to my pin, thanks to you.
Now, I'm really starting to get excited about Pats new game. You, Pat, Ted....Whow.

#6508 4 years ago

I'm an LE believer too. Chose LE over SE. Way too much Smaug for me. Looks great on the playfield however. Looking forward to having that beauty in my home.

#6518 4 years ago

The great part is, there are choices. Those that like either one can get what they like.

1 week later
#6650 4 years ago

Great pictures Joe. Thanks for taking the time to do this. One day closer...

#6734 4 years ago

I have a friend with a tesla, and it is fast. I really wouldn't want a car that looks like a muscle car because they are police magnets. Same goes for cars that are weird or bright colors. You want a ticket? Go ahead.
I'll take a car that goes fast, performs well, and is a sleeper on the outside.

Ok...back to Hobbit.

2 weeks later
#7150 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The session mentioned 700-800 more wozs he expected to build in two years.. In addition to the hobbits he already owes... Plus whatever happens with #3. If the man has sales demand to predict such great numbers yet to be sold of his 'old' game... Why would he not be converting that demand into invoices now? He is either full of it... Or can't build enough games to fulfill demand.
He doesn't mention time to deliver because they don't have a good answer under their control.

Stern did the same thing with Lord of the Rings back around 2003-2007. They built many of them for years, because demand was so high. It seemed like they built a batch, and then more orders came through. I bought a LOTR back in 2005, two years after production started. WOZ really didn't start production until May 2013. We are just after the two year mark now. If it's successful Stern keeps pumping them out. They did it until they created the LOTRLE model. I don't see any difference with WOZ. You aren't going to build 700-800 and then have them sit in a warehouse. This is bad business. You will produce them as demand comes through. You can bet that JJP will keep producing them as the orders come through. This is no different than many factories.
The only difference is Stern was building other models as well, in between. JJP is just starting to get to that point.

#7162 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You are going to try to convince us shipping a handful of games a week is enough revenue to support your entire org? Or
We are not rubes jack. You may have reserves but cash flow is in vs out. You can micro-manage out to stretch it... But you need to ship. You boast about demand... But are mum on moving units.

Stern is also 'mum' on how many units they pump out as well. Why would you think JJP would give you that kind of information. Your post seems more of a taunting, than stating facts. A lot of fear mongering and speculation if you ask me.

#7244 4 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

OK folks...let's do a reset here. This is a Hobbit update thread, and the moderator team has discussed the need to reign this back on track.
It's gone sideways pretty badly. If you want to discuss the prepay concept, start a new thread. If you want to discuss JJP finances, start a new thread. If you want to discuss anything not directly related to Hobbit updates...this is not the place.
Let's keep this thread on topic. People don't want to open a thread, see a hundred new posts, and zero relevant info. So...like the moderator team has done in the past with other threads to try to get them under control, off topic posters are subject to ejects moving forward.
And just as a preventative mention...if you don't agree with that, please open a thread in the moderator feedback forum. We don't want to see a ton of posts in this thread with comments on us re-railing the thread

Thank you....really! Way past due.

#7314 4 years ago

Yeeeah baby. That's what I'm talking about!

1 week later
#7396 4 years ago

Good comeback shapeshifter!

1 month later
#7851 4 years ago

^^^ An update^^^
Thank goodness an update, instead of people ragging about the delays, Jacks behaviour, etc..etc.. God Bless you GravitaR

3 weeks later
#8471 4 years ago

If they double the shift and get things running smoothly then it could be 75+ a week, starting in November, depending upon learning curve of employees and smoothing out the production flow. That could be about 500- 600 before Christmas, give or take. I just hope all the talk of vendor problems is gone, because that held up the WOZ line quite a bit.
One bad vendor like the Hobbit back glass incident could hold up the line completely.

3 months later
#9125 4 years ago

Great to see some progress.

3 months later
#9622 3 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Anybody from Canada hear when Starburst gets their first shipment?

i just emailed Jenn at JJP. When we last talked (February 19) she said " I would say that they should have all their machines by late May/early June"
They were rationing out games to all dealers to be fair, so some would come much earlier.
I will report back on any update.

#9630 3 years ago

Sammy,
Jen said " Cineplex has already gotten a few games from us and they are scheduled to get 9 more either the last week of April or first week of May."
Mine is in with the 9.

Hope yours is as well!

1 month later
#9797 3 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

I have the same issue with my Goblin. It is about 50% of the time he just insta dies.
Also, my windlance up post was missing a piece of rubber and had magnetized itself in the down position since the metal was touching metal. To fix it temporarily I stuck a zip tie through the hole so it breaks contact and the post can move up.
The other issue I'm waiting on a with the factory is my Smaug's mouth motor seems dead. If I use a multimeter I can see the voltages toggle on the brown wire, but can it gets no movement . Smaug is a pita to take apart btw.

Are you sure it's not a connector? My Smaug wouldn't work, and I found the data connector was not tight. I reseated and Smaug came back to life. Not a problem since.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 27.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hitch9.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside