Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highnoon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#327 5 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

Before the ring was destroyed Sauron was still alive. I think that's why the eagles, and almost everything else, stayed away from Mordor.

Correct! The eye of Sauron would have seen them and the ringwraiths would have hunted them down and captured the One Ring.

Source: I'm a Tolkien nerd

--Luke

2 weeks later
#732 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

100k for 10 minuts is just embarrassing.
But, there is still hope Smaug will scream out loud MULTIBALL in the 3rd movie.
You never know, .

LOL...I was thinking the same thing.

--Luke

#885 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Initial thoughts:
Standups and not drops? I assume this is for testing and drops will take their place.

From the JJP release:

"There is much more not revealed including JJP's proprietary target banks as several of them are not populated into this earlier whitewood."

--Luke

#891 5 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

-Top right under Smaug looks like a POTC style spinning disc?

I took this for a piece of plastic covering the hole where Smaug will be, not necessarily something that will be in the final version.

Quoted from mummite:

- Looks like there is a ramp divertor in the top middle ramps to divert the ball L/R I bet that is player controlled ala Shadow.

Looking at the drawings, I always thought that diverter would be Smaug's tail.

Quoted from mummite:

- Pin apron looks like a map "very cool"

I was thinking the same thing!

--Luke

#892 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

That's what I get for looking at the pics before reading the blurb

LOL

It's easy to skip over when there's videos to watch!

--Luke

#893 5 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

The far left wire form is not used currently. I assume some way the ball will be diverted onto this left wire form by Smaug's tail or something? down to the left kick back.

Again, looking from the drawings, I've always thought that Smaug will be a physical ball lock. When multiball starts, I think the balls will come out of his mouth like fire and end up on the habitrail. If you watch the new multiball animation in the update, it looks like the balls come out of his mouth.

--Luke

#898 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Good thinking. That is only one of the things that Smaug is

Go on...

#911 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Yeah Whirlwind scoring that's fine, but this is super low. The guy got 759 points on one entire ball and was playing for over a minute. WW gives you more than that for hitting one bumper.

You realize that this is a whitewood with like, basically no code to it, right?

--Luke

1 week later
#978 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Those 17 drivers not used in WOZ were originally intended for the GI

I know you're joking, but just so there's no confusion for people not familiar with such things...

High voltage drivers are not used for lamps (GI or insert). Drivers are only used for motors, coils, flash lamps, etc.

--Luke

3 weeks later
#1008 5 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

These just came in
Jack posing with PINBALL, the new photobook by Santiago Ciuffo.
Aside noticing the book, is that playfield artwork on that game? http://www.pinball-magazine.com

Thanks for sharing.

Must...see...more...playfield...

#1184 5 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

Why is everything "happening from Middle-Earth up" an "of course"? Is Jack under the impression that Middle-Earth is a subterranean realm? Or are we assumed to believe this? If we're to intuitively assume that there is an under-playfield for things to pop up from, is this a confirmation of elite video lower playfield?

I think you might be reading way to much into that comment.

--Luke

#1204 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I do and its in addition to what's on the apron.

What a tease!

#1215 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

If you're not going linear, then displaying a map is pointless.

Actually, quite the opposite. A map is MORE important if the game is not linear.

--Luke

#1223 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Disagree completely.
To what purpose? To blink in one spot, and then randomly blink somewhere else?
Pointless.....

Quoted from JoeJet:

I would think it would act like inserts to show completed progress toward a goal, though not necessarily linear.

This. ^^

If it's linear, you don't need a map to show you where you're at. You'd know where you were at by whatever mode was running.

--Luke

3 weeks later
#1350 5 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

What's the blue and yellow ball at the bottom center?

It's the Arkenstone.

--Luke

#1378 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

With all I've read about TH in the last week, it seems that everyone is obsessed with critiquing the playfield art. That's fine because some great suggestions have been made. But personally I find the playfield schematics much more interesting to look at.

Here Here!

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Of course there are no parts shown that are related to Smaug. However I keep trying to figure out the ball lock mechanism. I feel the clue is the rail on the far lower LT side of the playfield, and this is where the locked balls will end up. This rail connects to nothing, but it is placed right above the kickback, so that when they're released, they'll be fired back into play.

I agree with this...I think Smaug will place the balls on that habitrail as a physical lock.

My guess for Smaug's tail is that it will be the diverter where the two ramps cross over (at the middle-top of the playfield). This is based on the playfield schematic that was in the machine at the last JJP open house.

--Luke

#1379 5 years ago

Also, I think there is a diverter on the Bilbo ramp that gets the ball off the ramp and into the Smaug area. You can see the diverter in the latest schematic just to the left of the "Smaug" text. You can clearly see the diverter in the two whitewood videos that were previously posted (see the circled area in the attached picture). It isn't activated in those videos, but it's there.

--Luke

HobbitWhitewoodDiverter.jpg

#1388 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Thanks for posting that, I didn't notice the ramp diverter when I first watched those videos. That could be the locking/diverting mech under the gold tunnel I suggested. I still say the balls are getting locked on that LT side rail that connects to nothing. I'll just have to stare at the schematic some more. haha

I think you're right that the balls will get locked on the lone left habitrail.

--Luke

#1390 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Whats with the WoZ trees hiding over in the right corner?

It's an early whitewood...just put together to see how it shoots and test things out. So they probably just put those on for fun. The latest schematic released by JJP has barrels over the pops.

--Luke

1 month later
#1400 5 years ago

Poster looks sweet. Hopefully we hear more about the Hobbit at the JJP open house.

--Luke

#1403 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Unfortunately I cannot be there........too far away............

Yeah, me neither...but I still hope to hear some good news even though I can't be there!

--Luke

#1424 5 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

Heres my update on Hobbit. I shot the whitewood last week. Bad Ass Game
And Don't even Ask, the answer is no on info!!! LOL
Pincades
Chicago land JJP DIst
JT

You're killing us man!

No info? Was it the latest whitewood? <Slips Jamaster some cash under the table>

--Luke

#1426 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol, nice. Based off the flyer it doesn't appear that Godzilla interacts with the ball at all in that game?

He does...the balls come out of his mouth.

--Luke

#1428 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

There's a joke there, but I'll leave it.

#1436 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

This game "is under contract" that it has to be out by Dec, and they are still working on whitewoods????

Who said they were still working on it (the whitewood)?

--Luke

2 months later
#1838 5 years ago

I'm waiting to see the slingshots when the whole machine is shown rather than passing judgement on a blurry "enhanced" cell phone picture. I think the machine is going to be awesome.

--Luke

1 month later
#2247 5 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

I will post pics and some video nest week from Iappa
Pincades
Chicagoland JJP Dist.
JT

Thanks! Can't wait!

--Luke

1 week later
#2851 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I appreciate all the comments about Drop Targets. I agree for the most part. The physicality of them certainly makes the shot more satisfying. I FAR prefer when dropping a target opens another possibility though. I'm a big fan of the mech, I love their implementation in my machines, MET's Inline Drops, STLE's Vengeance Drop, WOZ's Winky Target, TSPP's Itchy and Scratchy Hole (Yes, I meant to say that!) and TWDs Woodbury Drop.
How nice to see thoughtful responses to my post, instead of "You're a frakking TOOL. You must not know ANYTHING about REAL Pinball! What sort of moronic idiot faced jackhammer doesn't like Drop Targets??!! Go Whine to Gary Stern you Frakking Crybaby!!!"

You're in luck, then! ALL of the Hobbit drops open up another shot...either the shot into the Smaug upkicker or a dwarf standup.

--Luke

1 week later
#3250 5 years ago
Quoted from oopsallberrys:

I think the beast GI lighting is for the 4 popups

That's what I thought. Maybe they're lit from underneath when they pop up.

--Luke

#3272 5 years ago
Quoted from Zebulon-74:

I hope Keith and Ted come up with some exciting modes. Personally I hope that not all modes are timed modes.⌛️ Anyone else has opinions about timed modes? Or ideas for some other type of modes. (Other than multiballs)

I've been thinking about this a bit, too. FWIW, the flyer states: "Player's choice to tackle over 30 game modes through standard timed play or in multiball" which sounds pretty cool to me.

Also, I was thinking that it would be cool if there was some kind of "Book Modes". Each Book Mode would be a simple thing. For example 2x scoring or maybe something that makes a certain kind of mode easier (like all Dwarf modes or all Man modes, etc.) Each Book Mode would be displayed on a page in the book and whichever page the book was open to would be the only Book Mode that is running at that time. It would then be up to the player to turn the pages of the book and choose what mode he/she wanted running at the current time. It could be set up to involve some real strategy in choosing what Book Mode to have running depending on what you were trying to do in the game at that moment.

--Luke

#3274 5 years ago
Quoted from Zebulon-74:

Yes. Like for example you could play a situation with or without the ring on Bilbos finger. (Visible or invisible)

Yeah...I like it!

--Luke

2 weeks later
#3305 5 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

What a difference from the original! The red and gold Smaug looks great.
I'm sure they're going to add something to dress up and explain the "fire" button on the lockbar. Hopefully it will be creative and better than the boring lettering on the ramps. "Book Time" reminds of going to the library as a preschooler for story time and cookies.

I believe that "Book" and "Time" are two separate lights that indicate two separate things.

--Luke

#3382 5 years ago

I prefer the LE, too. I like the seaside bronze better than the gold, and I like the picture of the group of Dwarves on the left side of the LE.

--Luke

4 weeks later
#3876 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Well we can clearly tell that there's at least one outlane mode on TH already, Gollum & the ring on the RT outlane. Since there's an insert there, I'm guessing you'll have to light it first before starting the outlane mode (perhaps one of the mystery target awards). I'm really looking forward to whatever that mode becomes, guessing riddles by making timed shots, etc. For me as a little kid, that was the most memorable part of the Rakin/Bass animated movie, not Smaug.

There's also a standup target with Beorn in the same outlane.

--Luke

2 months later
#4624 4 years ago

IO

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
6,895 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Dallas, TX
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highnoon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside