Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider heckheck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1055 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I think there is a possibility that a lockdown bar button ala ST or ACDC will be used.

There is a possibility the diverters will be controlled by both a center button AND an extra flipper side button. Center button is good for new players so they know it's there (or at least that is how Jack explained it). I think I convinced Jack at Allentown that an extra flipper button is also necessary for gameplay, so advanced players don't have to remove their hands from the sides of the cabinet. So with both buttons present, problems all solved for a couple extra bucks.

1 month later
#1381 5 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

Also, I think there is a diverter on the Bilbo ramp that gets the ball off the ramp and into the Smaug area. You can see the diverter in the latest schematic just to the left of the "Smaug" text. You can clearly see the diverter in the two whitewood videos that were previously posted (see the circled area in the attached picture). It isn't activated in those videos, but it's there.
--Luke

HobbitWhitewoodDiverter.jpg 39 KB

Here's a thought. Perhaps that diverter could be part of the lock mechanism (just speculation). Perhaps the balls stage there near Smaug, so that he can access them at the start of multiball and hurl them out onto the playfield. That would be cool.

3 months later
#1618 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Good point, but it doesn't resolve things for me artistically.
As I scan these, my brain says:
1. wolf
2. spider-monster
3. no idea?
4. upset feral cat with cleft lip?
So the attention to detail on 3 and 4 isn't answering, "What the heck is that?"
Bear in mind, I've never seen the movie...
-mof

This comes closest to my own reaction.

1 is a half decent Warg
2 is a pretty nifty looking Spider.
I'm fine with those.

I really couldn't tell what I was looking at for 3 and 4.
3 especially has a really odd mouth expression that makes me think it looks more like some undead zombie than a Tolkien character. This one in my opinion bothers me the most. It doesn't look like any Orc I recognize.
4 may look like something from the movie as has been show, a goblin I guess. It's just passable, and my brain didn't instantly recognize it.

I'll hold judgement until I see Smaug..

I only post in the spirit of constructive criticism. Hopefully like changes to the playfield, JJP will take feedback.

Disclaimer: I've got a game on order. I expect I'll love it. I'm a JJP supporter.

1 week later
#2042 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I can see your point especially if the clips were very long. Thankfully they are not very long move clips though. Maybe 10-20 seconds at most for an entire scene.

Ten to 20 seconds is an absolute eternity. The only thing that deserves a clip anywhere near that long is an intro to a MAJOR multiball or a wizard mode. Think of the buildup to multiball on Addams Family. That's about as epic a multiball intro as there was for a long time, and very well done, and that lasted maybe 5-7 seconds. Longer than that and you're seriously breaking up gameplay.

Repetitive short video clips can be a real problem too. They can get annoying and old. The best thing I can think of would be LOTS and LOTS of very short clips played in a semi random fashion. Group them by relevancy and then select from among them for various "callouts" related to gameplay. Sort of like varied speech callouts, varied video callouts could really add to the depth dimension and replay-ability of the game. But they should by and large play alongside gameplay and not need to distract the player from the real task at hand, playing the game!

1 week later
#2158 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Don't know if this is new or not, but I spot a button on center of lockdown bar that I didn't remember seeing previously.

Dammit, I bet that's the button for the user controlled diverter. But I DON'T see an extra side button in those pictures. I had suggested to Jack when he said at Allentown that the button might need to move to the lockbar so people knew it was there, to instead wire two buttons in parallel. One button on the lockbar and one on the side of the cab in reach of fingers without removing a hand. I certainly hope he took that advice.

One of the biggest gripes I have playing the new Star Trek is having to take my hand off the flippers to hit that big button to attack the Defiance. It's risky and not natural. It will be worse to control a diverter using this method, as that requires acutal coordination with a physical ball.

1 month later
#2559 5 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Hex:

Is the new version still going to have the firing mechanism on the lockdown bar / apron?

I am all for having one on the lockdown bar, but JJP please add one wired in parallel as an extra side flipper button. After all my posting on this during the "feedback phase", I was disappointed not to see that in the list of changes. I think people would really use a flipper finger reachable instance of the diverter control.

-Jim

#2700 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Heyyyyyyy someone gets it!

Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

"But it takes my hands off the flippers"
Ummm yeah that's the point.

The reasoning I got straight from Jack was different, it's not principally risk reward, but rather the novice player. "We tried the “action” buttons and nobody used them - or knew what they were."

I say let them learn by having controls in parallel. I trust pinball players to improve, I've seen many do it in a single game.

Looking at it as a risk/reward maneuver seems silly to me, somewhat like patting my head and rubbing my stomach at the same time. Can I do it, yes. Do I want to do it while I intensely play pinball? I don't get the appeal, I'm trying to play pinball, not Simon.

I respectfully disagree with Keith, that said, it's his game to design. I just don't think a player controlled diverter can improve game flow if one has to do acrobatics to activate it..

Also, I'm still looking for the reasons to stay in. What was changed was a VERY good effort for the time in which it was done, I fully applaud it, but I'm still not completely WOW'd, and I need to be for 7500(+400 extra in decal upgrades). I'm desperately worried about gameplay with all the drops and all the wide open long shots in the widebody form factor. In the Expo videos, it somewhat reminded me of some of the early SS widebodies with lots of drops and super long shots. Will it play differently (faster) than the Expo videos, I sure hope so. Still waiting on good video from IAAPA before I have to decide.

#2780 5 years ago

We're more into fun than flow.

Not every game is for every person. I'm sure there are lots of other super-attractive options for you out there. I'm sure you also have some clue that games can be setup shallower/steeper and we have unprecedented control over coil power?

Well the game was initially touted with flow being a major design consideration, after WOZ which was clearly stop/go. That is why I bring it up so much. For the record, I like pure flow games AND games that are a mix with stop/go (TSPP is a fave of mine), but the latter tend to be much more polarizing across players so it's much harder to design a good one. I just really hope Hobbit IS a good one (I love the theme). Very hard to judge until one plays of course..

Pinball's supposed to be fun, I guess I don't get the constant worrying.

That totally ended when machines shot to 8K. It was much more fun when you weren't marrying 1/4 your pin budget to one machine. The price went up, the expectations went up along with it (fuelled further by long pre-order wait times). Higher stakes for everyone, manufacturer and consumer (be that home or operator).

The only further piece of advice I could possibly offer you is that you've seen the playfield now, it's not going to change further. Now you can either trust that Ted and I have some clue what we're doing or not.

Yes I know the design is set now. Trust of yours and Ted's talent IS the reason I'm still in. Being honest, it is the trust of your vision that is central here, as in it's current form, we can't see 1/10th of where you are going with the rules and software to make this game something really special. That you're passionate is a BIG plus. That you're very talented even BIGGER. In or out, I do truly look forward to playing the game.

#2995 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

If they really listen to the community why not ask for ideas and suggestions for lay out, toys, shots, mechanics, ball interactions, etcetc, when you are working on the white wood?
Dp did it and we may never know if or which community ideas went in the game, but it can only be a positive to get free ideas from fans. And you involve your costumers more and that keeps them committed.
Would also prevent expo rage like we had last time.

They did. On their forum early on, they asked, and there were 100's of ideas posted for the game, some of them quite good (or so I thought). A spreadsheet was even prepared. Some were obviously not close to tractable, but many, many good ideas were presented. A few made it into the game, and I think more were at least tried to some degree.

In the end, though they pretty much seemed to have followed their own vision centered on their new drop targets and trolls, along with a (speculated) plan for a more interactive dragon. The more interactive dragon plan seems to not have panned out fully (I still wonder as to whether they will add the wire ramp to the outlane that was long on the schematics).

As for the drop targets and trolls, we will see ultimately whether it was a good idea or not to base the game so fully around them once the rules are written. Pretty much the whole success of the game rides on this aspect of the game being a home run in the fun department.

#3069 5 years ago

Here's a prediction that's actually relevant and may get us back on topic.

I predict that Keith will take a central timer based approach that is similar to TSPP, where multiple modes can run concurrently all on a single count down clock. I base this assumption on the fact that the left ramp now has laser cut into it the words 'Book/Time', so perhaps hitting the ramp adds time to a countdown timer. This would be a good approach, as it allows lots of stacking possibilities. Since this game will have near 30 modes, stacking them will be a large part of the fun. A single timer makes the most sense, with all running modes ending if you can't complete them before the timer runs out.

This is one of my personal favorite features of TSPP, I'm hoping I'm right that it's making a comeback.

Also, I hope if a timer is employed that it's a creative one that makes good use of the book LCD rather than just a boring static countdown. Just an idea, but something symbolic, like perhaps a video clip where a dwarf is eating Bilbo out of house and home. Hit the ramp and add time and Bilbo brings out another dish. Let the timer run down, and the dwarf runs out of food, burps and the modes all end. Of course something like this could get old, so perhaps a rotating set of different video countdowns, or just do it occasionally.

#3079 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm hoping in five years they have all been replaced by even better pins. Sorry old timer but I think its over for the era of classics. I know most guys will disagree with that but I'm done with 90's B/W's and really any of the older pins.

Time to take Centaur and Funhouse off your wishlist then.

Sure the new games are mad fun and we all hope they get better and better, but to say the classics are done stick a fork in them, is just silly IMHO. Too much fun there to never play again...

#3237 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

The barrel scene was one of the best parts.

True in some respects, but out of place. It was clear pandering to a blockbuster wanting crowd. The movies would have been much better if they kept a little more to the subject material of the books as written and less to the "how can we make the most awesome action scene in history" philosophy.

The magic could have been in the Tolkien world immersion, instead I felt yanked out of the moment by the over the top nature of the barrel scene.

#3262 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

You mean the no one as in the people who complained the RGB LED's gave off no GI in WoZ? You're right. We fix a problem and people want the old problem back. LOL.

Come on. That problem was 90% light pipes, not the LEDs themselves. Light pipes are gone right? Problem solved.

With respect to pumping out enough lighting for GI, RGB LEDs are just as capable as mono color whites. Let's not cloud the issue here that the change was specifically to fix a problem if it wasn't.

#3269 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

But how do you get a surface mount addressable LED above the playfield and say under a sling?

Easy, you bring up the wires to control it, and put it there on a teeny tiny board, as has been done for any number of above the pf toys for time immemorial. Those types of holes are always there anyway under slings. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to find addressable RGB leds in bayonet form factor at this point. The addressing only takes a few wires (and you can still not have to daisy chain and have the WOZ multiple light out problems with the right technology).

Also, you don't need to have 100% of your GI lighting be RGB. Run more than one string and have one be RGB leds. Then turn off (or way down) the supplemental white GI when you use the RGB led lighting for effects.

It's just engineering, I do it for a living as I believe do you. Problem, solve, innovate, problem, solve, innovate...

4 months later
#5708 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I think we all know what a Stern SWLE would look like at this point. It would probably not be bad, but likely not be something to get crazy excited about either at what will probably be a 10K price point by the end of the year...

One thing we know is that a Stern Star Wars pin would be a narrow body and probably given to a very experienced playfield/software design team. Half of me still wants JJP to get Star Wars and do it up with video, etc. The other half (growing steadily as I sit stewing waiting for my Hobbit) is starting to think I wouldn't mind Stern getting the licence, and getting a fast hard playing narrow body pin 1 year from now instead of 4 years from now.

10K forget that, I won't pay that to either company for any pin. Keep it between 7 and 8K or I'm out (and I imagine a lot of others would be too whatever they say on pinside).

1 month later
#6526 4 years ago
Quoted from karl:

I used to think that the SE cabinet decals was enough for me to go down that route but I have kinda warmed up a bit to the LE decals, over time.
They are far from perfect but they do not bother me like they first did and they present more variation. Funny how having all the extra time makes you change perspective
I now think that the overall feel will just be to dark with not enough variation, and also a bit dragon overkill, perhaps?

I actually think having seen it at the show that the LE decals are darker than the SE decals, to the point I thought they made the game look dark. The SE have a great big fireball to make the overall color pallet of the decal brighter, versus the wood and stone motif of the LE, which ends up overall darker IMO.

1 week later
#6805 4 years ago

So any rumor of a new hobbit code update for Pintastic? It's just over a week away.

2 months later
#8479 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Silicon Valley = One of the best shows eva!

Don't you mean Silicon Valley == One of the best shows eva! Equality not assignment

Sorry seemed appropriate...

#8481 4 years ago

The opening cartoon in Silicon Valley is worth the price of admission alone. Tons of funny stuff in there, like the burst and deflated Napster balloon and the near bursting Uber balloon.

#8501 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Woah, a real update:
» YouTube video

Gandalf voice talent is pretty decent.

#8534 4 years ago

There are player controlled diverters in the game, but I'm not sure if the habitrail to outlane is one of them. There is the U-Turn diverter at the top of the ramps, and an under playfield diverter in the subway that can direct the ball to either the left or right VUK. I'm not sure exactly which will be player controlled and at what times, but Jack personally assured me that one or more of the diverters will be player controlled (most likely with the Ring button, but also possibly with flipper sequences e.g. double tap, or triple tap).

2 weeks later
#8771 4 years ago

My first impression (and the one I had been worrying about based on description) is that I would think it perfect if it just weren't a such a super high gloss finish. Something just a tad more matte would be perfect for my taste. I would think matte would be a bit more scratch resistant too (or at least show it less).

I am torn it does look very high quality, but I'm not sure I want a super shiny machine sitting in my collection.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,895 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Dallas, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 27.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider heckheck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside