47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hazoff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#490 10 years ago

I think the Hobbit is going to be great, due to the theme of JJP first offering which held a lot of people back, this should be the breakthrough pin for the company. I'm not a huge Hobbit fan and I wasn't a big LOTR movie fan either but good theme's for pinball, dragons, wizards, orcs and goblins. Can't wait.

#692 10 years ago

I would rather they use that money for something in the game, stick to audio and voice from the film. I'm an adult and do not need to hear reference to the fact that I'm playing pinball, nice shot or you lost you're ball, who cares. Metallica as an example, so great yet ruined by the cheesy band call out's during gameplay, Xmen I love the game but cannot take the brutal voice work, just use cool clips from the films and be done with it. Just my opinion.

#794 10 years ago

Man, every time I see multiple new post's I think great a video or some new pic's etc. What do I get but little kiddie arguments that do not help anyone especially the updates for The Hobbit and JJP. Please just updates for a game that we all are excited about and looking forward to adding to our collection. Please.......................

#798 10 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

New to Pinside and JJP threads aren't you!
Sadly, this is the way it has been for quite awhile, endless pettiness, trolling, and agendas galore.

Well I had no interest in WOZ so I am new to JJP threads but have experience as I am a Predator pre-order guy and those threads are not much better believe me.

1 month later
#1104 9 years ago

Lawlor better not joke up this pin with cheesy call outs and bad humour, I like what I saw even in the whitewood seems like its going to follow LOTR and be a little darker. Stay away Lawlor.

2 months later
#1447 9 years ago

I see 25 new comments for updates and its just crap and complaints can we please just post updates. Damn

2 months later
#1954 9 years ago

100's of new posts and not one relates to actual updates for TH. In fact there is more talk of WOZ than TH.

#2027 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I love LOTR and the Hobbit and I watched TWD (first three seasons anyway), but I'd rather have an great pin with a mediocre theme vs a mediocre pin with a great theme anyday.

Kinda, but for some us theme is more important. Not that the game can be a total piece of crap but I would rather own Robocop than WOZ I know cost difference and gameplay but no matter how deep or well layed out a pin may be if I'm not into the theme no interest at all. I'm a TBL fan so don't get me wrong great film just not a pinball machine I would ever buy.

1 month later
#2235 9 years ago

I have a feeling that this game is going to be great, after the lackluster showing at expo and all the crap just a gut feeling that this will be special once finished. Can't wait to get mine.

1 week later
#2326 9 years ago

I'll most likely not have a chance to play The Hobbit LE till its in my house and same with Predator and Aliens but I have the cash and love pinball especially the new great titles and if for some reason they suck and I have to sell and take a loss, who cares?

#2438 9 years ago

Looks Great.

#2488 9 years ago

That new PF is amazing. Man it looks cool, and although I was hoping for more of Smaugs body to be represented the head is much better without that mountain back drop. I'm really happy with the look thus far, cant wait.

#2578 9 years ago
Quoted from RealityCheck:

Jesus. Its all the same fanboys on a different day. It's absolutely amazing how little can change on this game and suddenly it's "amazing". The rest of the world are just rolling their eyes.
Smaug is still just a silly talking sock puppet (and still mediocre artwork at that). The gold Smaug is just altogether ridiculous. What about the rest of his body and what about him actually interacting with the ball directly? JJP never listened from day 1. The thing is just silly.
There is a serious lack of actual toys in this game. Extremely weak for the price. I can pay 4500 for a NIB Stern and get more. TWD looks like an amazing bargain right now! That's the sad truth ("oh, but the lcd screen and real metal wireforms ... ", shut up. Give me a break fanboys).
Oh hey, ramp etchings! sorry but they are completely boring. couldn't do some figure or symbol or something more creative there?? It just seems like another weak attempt at following Stern. No creativity whatsoever.
The apron ... just new artwork? I really liked everyone's idea of an interactive and lighted map. I thought that was a no-brainer. This is just another step back. How can you describe this as anything else? people suggested and had been hoping for an interactive apron of some sort (or at least add in some amazing backlighting or something original!) Again, completely boring, static, and unoriginal. Certainly not what I would expect in a seriously expensive game like this.
They threw on a 5" lcd ... which now looks completely out of place, boring, and who knows what they need it for to begin with. Lift your eyes 12" higher to the much touted 22" lcd for crying out loud!! It's basically pointless and at this point the modders could have done a much better job integrating it into the game. What a waste and at the expense of not having a 2nd toy at that. Even yet another step back from WOZ, this time the crystal ball. Terribly weak.
Overall cohesiveness ... im sure it is just me but this looks like a complete mess. A serious kludge. I guess this is what happens when you lose your lead designer.
In the end Im thinking ... maybe this could be moderately fun ... if it cost 5000-5500! But at the price they're asking they've not done their job. A big step back from WOZ. A huge disappointment from what many of us were hoping for 2 years ago.
The fanboys can (and will) thumbs down this all they want. This game will not sell thousands which is what JJP really needed. Hopefully there are enough of you who will still buy no matter what (or are too lazy to cancel or you're still holding onto your pipe dream that this game will somehow go up in value, lol). Because its up to you boys and girls to keep JJP alive until Pat's game comes out.

Hey Reality Check here's a reality check for you, you're a Douchebag. Check

#2630 9 years ago

This game is looking really nice, love to see some gameplay.

#2631 9 years ago
Quoted from RealityCheck:

Look on FB ... the same fanboy comments were and are made on there.
Relax dude. You have your opinion. I have mine.
If you like what you see and think it's a great price then buy 2! As I said, someone needs to keep them in business. But im seriously bummed what they're doing to pinball. Nearly doubling NIB prices and now already backing way off the quality and innovation that was promised.

Do you have any games in you're collection? If you're not buying The hobbit then why do you care at all? Why are you a douchebag? Thank You

#2659 9 years ago

pinballs are rarely set up well at these shows and even arcades in the past. I won't know till I get it home and mess around with different pitches how the speed of the game really plays, plus lighting and background noise, let me tell you TWD is a much different experience in the home with loud volume and dim lighting. I think it looks great and hopefully gameplay follows.

#2737 9 years ago

I like TWD flow, yeah its fast but requires skilled shooting to bring the flow out of the game. Love STLE but quite easy to make the shots except the warp ramp, and how rewarding is it when you make that shot, especially several time in a row. The Hobbit gameplay looks great, like TWD something a little different. Very happy with that gameplay video, needs louder volume.

#2788 9 years ago

Any designer can use feedback, lets not forget Monopoly and Rollercoaster Tycoon etc. Anyway theme is most important and The Hobbit beats WOZ hands down. Its looking so great with that new PF and added goodies. Really looking forward to playing one. I hope Pat doesn't blow it with a cheesy or kiddie theme.

#2806 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yep, you can bet Pat's first game back is going to be EPIC After all the cost cutting with Stern and inability to do old school design and mechs, this one is going to be a reminder for people as to who the real King is!

I hope so, it will depend on theme for me. No matter how good a designer may be theme is very important. I really hopes its a darker style and not rainbows and unicorns or something like that. He has had some real stinkers in the past. Time will tell.

#2808 9 years ago

Looks like all their jaws are a little hidden but they look cool.

#2814 9 years ago

Why bother speculating on gameplay from videos or quick games on a still unfinished game, especially at expos and the like. TWD was almost entirely negative upon the first plays of the pro and really almost every new release has more negative than positive, just human nature I guess but my TWDLE is amazing and I have a feeling in the right setting with proper pitch and dialed in the final game will play well.

#2842 9 years ago

I like the original LE myself especially now with the new PF that's enough Smaug, digging the characters on the cab and like the seaside bronze trim. The pin looks very cool, its all about gameplay now and I'm the only one who can judge that as to whether or not I like it. I liked IJ4 and hated Tron so who knows, once its home and I get 50+ plays on it a proper diagnosis can be made. Quick games at expos tells me nothing.

#2886 9 years ago

That pin looks amazing, not getting the negativity at all, especially considering the percentage of us who have actually played it. I'm really looking forward to this.

#2898 9 years ago

Haven't had a talking toy for a while in pinball so regardless of Smaug's appearance still very cool.

#2902 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Thats a fair comparison, 10 years ago and half the cost

What?

#3011 9 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

How about Rudy from Fun House? At least with Rudy, the taunting head had direct interaction with the ball...

Yeah but Rudy wears make up. I couldn't care less if Smaug eats the balls or ever touches it. Its still a cool premise and the facts the he looks around and talks to you is enough for me. That not going to make or break this game. JP really isn't all that fun and Funhouse is a great pin but not very deep. Lets just wait now and see how the final product comes together. If I get it home and dislike it then I'll sell it, take the loss and move on, its pinball, its supposed to be fun. Backing out because Smaug doesn't interact with the ball to me is foolish.

#3016 9 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

Thanks, but I did not back out because of Smaug as I was (and am) fairly okay with what it was. I was only using Rudy as a side for the Star Trek Vengeance reference.

Sorry, that wasn't directed at you or anyone in general, except the Rudy wears make up and that was a joke. I've seen many people state the toy was disappointing to the degree they cancelled and that's ok, just to me seems strange as that means that was the main purchase point for them. Anyway don't care really.

#3021 9 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

No worries at all... Overall I do feel the toys are great, but game play is most important and at this point I am too concerned in this area.

I can see that, I can't tell though until I have it at home and play under the right conditions. I had a fella come by today, he bought my DM and he wanted to try my TWDLE, he was quite taking with it but passed buying one based on videos and the gossip. Sometimes it works the other way too, I bought Tron based mostly on pinheads telling me its great and all the hype, it was gone in a month.

#3031 9 years ago

STLE is really off the charts, should be in the top 5. Yeah I'm a Startrek fan but it wouldn't matter if it was some other space sci fi theme, the speed, flow, look and sound are amazing. I personally love the modes and multiballs. The vengeance is awesome and Kilngon multiball is something special, the latest code really helped and I think after this next update STLE will become a classic. It will never dethrone TAF and MM,MB etc. but it should have already.

#3034 9 years ago

Are you guys kidding? The ship moves around upon being hit, lots of interactive sound that goes with , which is amazing by the way, magnet, drop target and it fires the ball back at you with the speed of WarMachine. Modes and mulitball based on that toy. It looks great? Have you guys played this game?

#3044 9 years ago

Agreed, name the last talking toy in a pinball machine post 2000, zero. At least with moving mouth and cool speech. Smaug's voice is great in that film and will be quite menacing during gameplay. Can't wait to see this pin completed and in action. I think it will be a sight to behold.

#3054 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That I agree with...but why is IM way more fun than ST??

You're way off. I loved my IM but its not fit to carry STLE's jock strap.

#3056 9 years ago

IM is old news now with the release of TWD sorry but its true. With Met Pre, STLE, TWDLE borg has surpassed that game ten fold. JMO

#3058 9 years ago

I know. Didn't phrase it right, more that the style of speed and fast flow modern pins in the last few years has trumped IM for me. I was going to get IMVE but glad I didn't now. TWDLE is such a great pin. I'm really glad JJP did a an open concept for The Hobbit, looks very cool.

#3064 9 years ago

Well anything is better than what was happening on this thread. Maybe that's why? Ok back to strictly negative comments from non owners and people who have backed out. Go.

#3072 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

This is a classic case of being in serious lust. 5 years from now, lets see how you feel about any of those titles. Then you will truly know.

I'm hoping in five years they have all been replaced by even better pins. Sorry old timer but I think its over for the era of classics. I know most guys will disagree with that but I'm done with 90's B/W's and really any of the older pins. I tried again to enjoy some older stuff and it just felt slow and dated next to STLE and TWDLE, I think the next few years are going to bring some really great innovations and the best pins yet. Just my opinion so take it easy, go have a game of TAF or TZ, maybe highspeed relax and have a drink if need be, I'm glad if you like them. But know that its over.

#3074 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think it's more of a case of ADD than anything else.

wrong.

#3076 9 years ago

No offense Neo but we can't have this debate as we are from different worlds, believe me. Your probably a nice man so I apologize and lets leave it at that. It doesn't take me 500 games to know if I like a game or not and the explanation will not make sense to you, but I understand why you could assume your diagnosis is just, but its not. Anyway if you like the older pins and you think I'm in a lust phase or whatever, cool.

#3078 9 years ago

Yes, and I have something just not ADD I'm glad if your happy with your collection. The pins I really want will never be made, but a few are coming close finally so I am overly enthusiastic right now. Feel free to give me shit whenever you think I need it. Later

#3080 9 years ago

Not to never play again or even own just that they can't compare, its my silly opinion that's all. I know I'm in the minority but some pinsiders will agree with that statement and just don't want the backlash where as I don't mind at all. Someone has to say it. Centaur I would buy strictly for the evil factor and Funhouse is the last of the B/W I've yet to own and need to for a while, to many memories there. Like I said to CNeo no need for analyzing my comments just say that guy is whacked and move on.

#3082 9 years ago

I agree, listen I'm surprised in myself. I've sold off the older games in my collection as it became a case that I had to like them due to being classics and all that, yet I play only the new stuff. Its goes the other way to my friend, I know a lot of guys who hate the new Sterns and I'm cool with that we can't agree on everything, yeah the B/W's 90's stuff is great but like the classic video games which I also tried to like again, built a whole mame cab and have AL's 3 yet I'll play Batman Arkham City or Darksiders its tough to go and enjoy DKong. Lets leave this alone now, I should have never posted that.

#3132 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I finally had the chance to play TWD yesterday. Played it for over an hour.
I'm afraid that I will now be referring to that game as The Walking Dud.
That was the least fun pin that I have played in a very long time. The layout is terrible. The ball exiting the pops caused a SDTM drain about a third of the time. The prison magnet is stupid. I got several SDTM drains from the magnet releasing the ball. Ball is in the pops far too much. Theme implementation is absolutely horrible.
I'm so glad that I backed out of my preorder on this. Ugh.
Just my opinion so take it easy.

You won't admit it but you went into your game time with bias, we can't all like the same thing and now you know how I feel about Tron, Ugh. Back to Hobbit, really torn on whether or not to get the SE, I kinda like the seaside bronze amour and now with that fantastic Smaug pic on the playfield wouldn't mind the OG art which is kinda cool. Mmmmm

#3146 9 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I just sold my pro. Pretty game but I could not get into the ruleset at all. Every mode was the same thing over and over again. People like different things though so to each there own.
Love the new SE smaug, can't wait to see it with teeth.

I thought that at first with my STLE the same shots but in the last code it varies more, and hopefully continues in the final update. TWDLE I love right away in its early code, STLE is growing on me big time. Seems to be better once I put TWDLE beside it? I don't know, I want my Hobbit.

#3148 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

200$ head is crazy...is that with or without teeth?

Depends on the girl.

#3192 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Sorry to piss into the wind here, but the head looked great on its own.... bolted to the "pile of gold (wtf, btw), it loses much of its allure to me.
I wish I could love this game, but its looking more and more like a title ill play in the wild, but not one Id own. BTW, exactly the same disappointment I have with TWD- awesome theme for me personally, but not realized very well in the game... bummer.

I would have liked a full bodied Smaug but that's not going to happen, this pin will shine in a home environment, in the wild usually sucks for pinball, not set up right, low volume bright room. As for TWD Its a tough theme to implement into pinball, the show is a drama not sure what they could have done. I like the gameplay and ruleset, might have been ruined if they went crazy trying to bring in all the actors over the span of the show. Its great, a survival based pin.

#3242 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Monger rising up out of nowhere is junk? Balrog in LOTR is better than anything on any late model Stern, with the possible exception of Sparky. AND lotr has the magnetic ring, which is probably the coolest magnet implementation ever.
I have no problem with the whole Vengence experience, but let's keep it real, shall we?

Stern was smart to release IM VE before TWD, TWD beats up IM pretty good. Listen I love IM and have owned it more than once, was going to get VE but really glad I held off as TWD is a much better game. IronMonger is cool but next Vengeance nothing special at all.

#3244 9 years ago

What do you know? You like the family guy. That's funny, well its not funny but thinking its funny is funny. I like IM too.

2 weeks later
#3381 9 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

You may be right but, dragons are cool, the other characters not so much.
In the wild, a dragon will draw non-Hobbit fans to the machine, a midget with large hairy feet or a geriatric wizard with a large hat won't have the same draw.

Yeah but the sides are never even really seen, and the front of the LE is better looking with Gandalf and Gollum, the gold trim is nice but prefer the seaside bronze. I'm just glad we have options. Either way what a great looking pin.

#3384 9 years ago

I want to see Smaug interaction and by that obviously not physical interaction with the ball but following it around the playfield speaking at me, really haven't had anything like that since Rudy, I know there has been moving heads and figures that speak but the moving jaws and coolness of his voice seem to be neglected when taking in all the aspects of gameplay. Might not be full body or look as good as it should, personally it looks great to me, this could really be something special just want to see it action.

#3386 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I know Im always the negative nelly here but Im not sure I like what I see. It doesn't look like much to me. What are your opinions now that the complete game has been revealed. Looks like a bare bones Stern to me

Remember looks can be very deceiving, one look at AFM and you would never think its a great game, same with many others so toys, highly populated playfields with all kinds of extra crap do not guarantee a great playing pin, IM is pretty bare bones but fun as hell. I'm seeing something unique and interesting when I look at it, gameplay cannot be judged at this point and for me not till I get it home, so we are going strictly by cosmetics right now. The controlled drop targets and pop ups will allow for what I believe will be some great gameplay. Code will dictate whether this pin is a real winner or not, just can't see it being a dud but time will tell.

#3392 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

I'm not sure what kool-aid the guys that think the Smaug toy is 100% wonderful and are disagreeing with me are drinking, but I want some. Especially since I am buying this machine.

I certainly don't disagree but what can we do about it? With all the other crap going on with boutique pins and TDWLE while a fantastically fun pin didn't blow me away in terms of toys and cosmetics I'm just happy its happening and regardless of Smaug's appearance the game looks beautiful if gameplay is on point then should be great.

#3405 9 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Who wants to see a Linda Blair exorcist Smaug

I do. There's a great pin waiting to be made The Exorcist. "The power of Christ compels you" A 360 degree spinning head that you smash and green vomit appears, It might seem like I'm kidding but if someone makes it, I'm in. Exorcist LE sorry no premiums.

#3463 9 years ago
Quoted from dutchi:

But i think the Hobbit playfield is just lacking lots of toys and no upper or under playfield or other cool stuff...

Toys do not make a great pinball, and lower playfields for the most part are very boring and interrupt gameplay. I like and really enjoy that Jack has gone to a more open and once set up I think fast game. If every pin was like TZ I would be very unhappy. IM and AFM are quite baron but awesome, layout and rules is really what leads to greatness. We won't know till its in our homes and a few months go by. I prefer speed and flow over stop and go, some guys like stop and go, I like both. JMO

#3474 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Name one widebody that is a fast playing game?

DM, STTNG in fact if you set up the game just right with a high pitch but still able to hits the ramps you can make pretty much any game fast. The open playfield style helps as well, my Data East games always seemed slow but I used to put Stern legs on the back that are already longer then an inch on the leg levelers and instantly transformed into speed demon, my JD was fast as hell.

#3478 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I don't care for speed personally

I don't understand?

untitled.pnguntitled.png
1 week later
#3584 9 years ago

Don't understand why so many still speculate on gameplay as its been proven time and time again that the only real way to judge a new pin is for us to get it home, set it up, play it for a month or two in the right atmosphere with good volume and a better understanding of the rules than you could ever get from these video's. Yes, if a camera is set up correctly and you can watch a well played game with the rules explained as it goes then its a lot easier to make a judgment, aka The predator. That video solidified my commitment to that pin, even though the companies communication sucks. We haven't seen shit with regards to The Hobbit and the gameplay yet the term boring keeps popping up, if I recall some of the best pins of the 2000's received utterly awful first impressions and now have become sought after dare I say classics. For me anyway I cannot make an honest assessment without playing it myself, and in the right environment, the WOZ sound in the background would be enough to affect my perception that's for sure. See what a couple coffee's can do, I'm babbling.

#3656 9 years ago

I have such a positive feeling about TH it terms of it being a fantastic pin, ofcourse know one knows anything yet but just a gut feeling of greatness, I hope I'm right.

2 weeks later
#4005 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The ball rarely stops in TH

Great news.

#4010 9 years ago
Quoted from B9:

For some reason I imagine using it to whack down the pop-ups, kind of like whack-a-mole.

Like bombs in MM. I could see that as one use.

1 week later
#4152 9 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

I agree with you.
And if these rumors are true, that no tangible changes are being done to the playfield, then I'd be looking to sell or get my money back. But here is the predicament for us Canadians; now that our dollar has lost almost 20%... if we wanted to get get our money back and get some other "new" pinball, it would cost us about 1700$ more! (At least for those that were in early on the purchase, like me)
So if I do want to get a NIB pin, it looks like my options are drying up...may as well suck it up, get The Hodgepodge and trade it for another new pin and not lose on the exchange rate.
If that's the case, I may as well jump on the everything is awesome bandwagon and promote it so I get a better trade...
Everything is AWESOME!

Wow, how can all you guys judge this game before we have even had a chance to play it? Ironman and Tron by appearance alone look pretty dull and they are highly sought after, many other games seem baron but man the rules make them great and your ready to bury this pin because it doesn't have all the stuff that WOZ has on the PF, a populated PF with flashy toys does not encapsulate a great pinball machine.

#4159 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

"Wow, how can you BUY a game before you even have a chance to play it"
See?
Yeah, so if a company wants people to spend their money prior to playing I think they need to expect it to be critiqued prior to play... Right?

I don't want to sound like an jerk but I can afford to buy anything I want, what's wrong with that? If I don't like it then I'll sell it but to bash it before you know for sure whether or not its a good game is just plain foolish. I have bought many games that I tried out and figured I'll like this in my collection yet it lasted only months before I realized it wasn't for me, ex. AC/DC Pre. Look at how many games have been out for years and all of a sudden become great must have pinballs, ones that we all have played before and maybe missed the magic, I don't know and I won't know till I get The Hobbit home to really find out what the game is all about, to judge based solely on appearance is ridiculous.

untitled.pnguntitled.png
#4161 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

You missed the point (you were probably stacking your gold coins at the time or something)
Buy whatever you want....
My point was its foolish to ask people for money years ahead of shipment and then be somehow surprised when people critique a game while in-progress.
In fact, its a good thing JJP *IS* okay with this because all the criticism of the game *prior to completion* has likely resulted in JJP making a better game.

I agree, and its not gold coins but a very valuable manure pit in my backyard that I reap the benefits from. I get it and of course critique is a positive thing as shown by all the improvements made to the original pin. We all want it to be the case that the game is playable and ready for distribution prior to any money changing hands but that's not the case and I will say that if I didn't have the manure pit then I wouldn't be buying any NIB pinballs.

#4166 9 years ago

I'm not a big Hobbit or LOTR's fans but its still much better to me than most themes out there and PL's pin will most likely be a very family friendly happy time theme and that doesn't appeal to me so I'm in for the long haul. If PL's game ends up being a must have its still a year or longer away. I have a gut feeling TH will be something special.

#4172 9 years ago

How about PL doing the original Trilogy of StarWars. Now that's something I would be interested in. I would love even an original space themed pin from Pat, Sci Fi is great for pinball.

#4179 9 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

True, but those pins were THOUSANDS of dollars less expensive...and since I'm paying thousands of dollars more, I expect thousands of dollars more bling and detail!
I don't think I said the game would play bad, I'm sure it will play fine. But in the meantime, i'll be playing a game that has unfinished code and has an unfinished looking playfield (IMO)...and when the code eventually gets done, i'll still be playing an unfinished looking playfield... (that I paid thousands of dollars more for)...

Well I'm used to buying Stern LE's that don't exactly trump TH in terms of playfield and toys hence price seems fair to me, although obviously high but what else is new with NIB pins these days. Sorry but trying to compare the simplistic PF's of IM and Tron with what TH looks like right now is craziness. JMO

#4188 9 years ago

I'm loving the original LE look of Smaug plus I dig the armor as well, glad I stuck with it.

#4267 9 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

It already is better than Woz as far as I am concerned and I haven't even played it yet.

Have to agree, the theme alone already makes it a better WOZ.

#4275 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Just to inform people u like talking shit... U have no interest in buying a Jjp game u have never owned one and u jump in every thread to shit on them....u have a agenda and it's not to help pinball at all...just pointing these things out about u like u like to point things out

I've never understood this on pinside either I'm not buying a TBL and thus I really have zero interest in the pin's development and progress, don't get me wrong I want everyone who ordered it to get the pin and meet all their expectations but since I'm not buying, who gives a shit. I certainly wouldn't go on those threads and talk trash. Anyway back to the Hobbit which is looking great to me and I can't wait to get it in my house.

3 weeks later
#4536 9 years ago

Its close and being a Predator customer makes this scenario of being delayed a little something to be happy about, I know I'm getting this pin, hey that might be the good part of the crap that has transpired with some of the boutique companies. I just have a feeling that this game will blow me away, can't explain it but its there. Now I dance.

untitled.pnguntitled.png

#4559 9 years ago

I fine with the way it looks right now, I think it looks beautiful and love the open concept. Really looking forward to playing this pin.

1 week later
#4617 9 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Why would you assume the game coming to Ohio would be different than the game shown last weekend?

I think he means more pictures, videos of gameplay and a lot more first impressions.

#4631 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hmmm...let's see: $6500 for a Whoa Nellie now? Or $8000 for a Hobbit down the road?
I'm still going with TH, and don't mind waiting. I don't understand why people who don't have a preorder care when the delivery date is. I have a preorder and I don't even care. It's an f-ing toy. It'll get here when it gets here.

Exactly. Same thing on Predator, now yes its a shitstorm but I don't go to JPOP or TBL threads, not a pre-order so who cares.

#4633 9 years ago

What? R U for real. I posted a video regarding drinking and posting, and I go on those threads as I like to see what Jpop and DP, Spooky etc. pinballs are looking like but I don't post negative comments nor do I really care if those games are made, I want everyone to get them but I'm not in so why bother. I think you really blew it on your attempt to establish me as a interested party with zero interest in project.

#4720 9 years ago

It looks amazing, looking forwarding to seeing this in the darkness of my lair. Gameplay seems fast and equally impressive.

#4759 9 years ago

I think with Skit B, JPOP and DP we should be a little more tolerable of JJP delay's. The bottom line is that the pin looks great and it will be built and shipped fairly soon but at least it will be made. I'm hoping to have my by the end of the year and thats just fine with me.

#4762 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I don't think DP should be placed in the same category as Skit B, and JPOP. Yes, there were problems but they haven't actually missed any deadlines yet. In fact they have been very quick to get to the prototype stage. We will see as it unfolds over the next few months.

Yes, but for a while it looked like the whole thing might implode.

#4781 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

I would consider buying a TH if it had all the toy of a WOZ

Boy is that stupid, toys do not make the game and how about every drop target being controlled seperatley, thats a lot of toys.

#4925 9 years ago

What else is new, I remember back in the arcade days pins were always set up like shit. Why? Also something was always broken and then you would go back a week later and it was still broken. I really appreciate being able to play in a nice dark room with good volume and set up to my liking while drinking a cold beer and enjoying other spirits with buddies in the combfort of my own home. Arcades and pool halls, bowling alley's etc. are definetly a thing of the past for me. RobT is quite right in saying at these shows with the potential to sell machines it should be set up to perfectly for maxium speed and flow.

#5032 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

My other worry is that Pat's game is going to be so nice it may trump The Hobbit on gameplay (and perhaps even in the look and sound). So - do I keep in The Hobbit, or wait for #3

Yeah but PL's game is easily a year or 2 away so why not enjoy The Hobbit in the mean time and then sell it towards Pats if its a must have. It could be something your not even interested in, I'm looking forward to what animations will be like without a movie to show clips from could be great. I also don't want a kids game with a overly family friendly theme, I want it for those of you with families but a cool space/sci fi theme which is still family friendly would be amazing, time will tell.

#5042 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Umm, no. Especially the "or 2" part.

What are saying that we will become aware of Pats game soon and within a year is will be available? or the other way that 2 years is still too soon to expect a finished PL JJP game.

#5049 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

We will know about it late summer, play it at Expo and buy it in 1Q16.

I hope your right but I would say The Hobbit is still being built and shipped 1Q16.

#5072 9 years ago

I'm ok with waiting but I'm not ok with waiting then finding out it won't be made and then not getting a refund promptly. At least TH will eventually be in my home.

1 week later
#5371 9 years ago

Any mode based game is going to get boring after time, I don't care what pin it is. I loved my STLE but after a year and achieving the final mode I was done with it, The Hobbit will be the same but I've said it before its a game and all games become boring eventually. The Hobbit looks great and 30 modes is a plus for sure rather than any kind of minus, however if your looking at it in terms of longevity then very few pins are keepers, unless you have unlimited space and money or ofcourse a magical theme that really captures you (even though I haven't played and unless it turns out terrible Aliens LE is most likely a keeper), TWDLE as well but thats more a theme thing than gameplay. The issue regarding sparse playfield is just plain garbage, MB which is loaded with stuff became tedious in a few short weeks for me but AFM lasted a year. Its taken me 5 years of buying and selling pins (60+) to realize my real passion lies in the 80's era, they seem to have more lastibility than any other for the sheer fact that they challenge you but marathon games and wizard modes are non-existent, great for a quick game and quick fun. JMO mind you and 2 coffee's has me babbling. Later

#5373 9 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Popup Monster! That's what my wife calls me

Are sure she's calling you that or something else attached to you? Mmmmm

1 week later
#5710 9 years ago

Better that Stern does the first film, if JJP is doing well and making pins after the next 2 films years from now then JJP for the trilogy but the ultimate for me would JJP doing the classic Trilogy that most of us grew up on.

#5895 8 years ago

Looking forward to seeing this pin played in a dark room, the colors and lighting look amazing and the gameplay is looking great as well. Did anyone get an actual time frame for production?

#6011 8 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Maybe they should make the Playfields out of plexiglass. I know that stuff is strong because they made a whale aquarium with it in Star Trek IV

I think they need the formula for transparent aluminum.

#6012 8 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Nooo, that was transparent aluminum , "Hello Computer"

Wrong, they gave him the formula for transparent aluminum to get the 8 or 9 inch plexiglass. Geek test win.

2 weeks later
#6287 8 years ago

I like the LE better myself but is all personal preference, the seaside bronze looks cooler than the gold for me, side art? unless its in the center of a room who cares, mine will be wedged between 2 other pins, never really cared about the cabinet and would rather a blank cab and an extra interactive toy on the playfield anyday.

#6307 8 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

I would prefer a few bits of strategically placed Mylar instead of a whole playfield protector. My 2 cents.

Thats the ticket.

1 week later
#6379 8 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

LOTR bin there done that.

Have to agree, loved my LOTR's and yeah a vault edition would be a nice pin to add to the collection but I played the shit out of mine, why bother comparing the two as its really apples and oranges. As for the films I don't really follow either series or find the movies all that great but good theme for pinball. JM and The Shadow were crap movies but 2 of my favorite DMD's. I think The Hobbit is going to be great.

1 week later
#6551 8 years ago

I like the seaside bronze more than the gold, LE for me.

1 week later
#6740 8 years ago

Go talk cars somewhere else, this is for The Hobbit regardless if there is new news or not.

1 week later
#6870 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

$1,000 to reserve spot.
and then zero due until machine is build and ready to ship.

Thats exactly what I have with my distributor here in Toronto, I can back out anytime or pruchase once they have them in stock.

#6876 8 years ago

But you posted a video, it must be removed and then you must have a bath in pure vinegar. I recommend then listening to Slayer or Motorhead as a means to redeem yourself. Thank you for your co-operation.

#7005 8 years ago

I don't want to sound callus but I don't really care what Jack has to say regrding JPOP or Stern or any other manufacturer, if The Hobbit plays as good as it looks with a talking dragon and four pop ups, LCD and a great rule set then I'm in, as for Jacks personality? Who gives a shit.

#7016 8 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

You don't care what the owner of a company that has all this money in pre orders thinks about another one going bust? Especially when he says its not on John?

I've never read the letter, where is it?

2 weeks later
#7421 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Last I checked, I have full RGB lighting on my Stern Premium TWD?

Wrong, TWD LE/Pre had a few inserts and nothing in the GI. R u working for Stern?

1 week later
#7498 8 years ago

I just lose interest after years of waiting, really even a year is too long.

#7538 8 years ago

I think Jack knows that enough die hard pinheads will make an early deposit on JJP #3 simply due to the fact thats its Pat Lawlor. Will it be required? I doubt it, as an original theme hopefully means less expenses and time with all the license crappola, if so will people be pissed? either way there will be complaints, I wish Stern would go back to original themes, don't we all? I mean some licensed themes are great (Aliens) but I would rather have The Hobbit be Orcs and Knights vs Elves or whatever, leave it open for the designer to create, I believe pinball has lost that element and needs to get it back.

1 week later
#7703 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

this thread reminds me of this song:

Do you mean to say it sucks, because that song and that band suck. JMO

#7709 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

You know what opinions are like? Remember how $T was the best game ever? Yeah, hobbit update stuff.

No I don't. STLE is still the best pin I've owned and Hobbit update, no idea what your saying?

#7711 8 years ago

As a musician I have to say its really bad playing, I'm open to many kinds of music but that's bad, and not in a good way. Hey if you like it then all the power to ya.

#7720 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

So you probably think Nirvana or The Doors are 'bad' mucisians as well. Sometimes it's not about how great you can play, but about how good the lyrics, emotion, reality of the music is.
Since your a musician, that makes you an expert on what is good or not good and that other non musicians do not have any idea if something is good or not.

But Nirvana and The Doors are actually good, I really don't care.

#7731 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Since your a musician, that makes you an expert on what is good or not good and that other non musicians do not have any idea if something is good or not.

Yeah it does, and that band sucks. Radiohead would be an example of a great band, but I'm not going to waste anymore time, you guys probably like this guy too, and you know what, he sucks.

morrissey21.jpgmorrissey21.jpg

#7834 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

It's so late at this point most people have stopped caring about it.

Thats what happened to me, I think the game looks great but I recently backed out as I just don't care anymore. Still, I will probably pick one up second hand in the years to come.

#7868 8 years ago

Threads often get derailed when theres nothing to update regarding the product itself. Well there is the selling of translites in the JJP store but otherwise?

#7870 8 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Threads get derailed by those that want attention and seek drama. All permitted by pinside rules so the cycle repeats itself endlessly Hazoff.

I agree.

#8145 8 years ago

I would rather the money thats put into display and animation were reverted into the playfield, I would much rather an alpha numeric display and better PF toys etc. I never even look at the display hardly while playing so who cares, for me the least important part of a pinball machine. Give me a simple cabinet and simple display and concentrate all efforts into the gameplay itself. JMO

1 week later
#8296 8 years ago

Why wouldn't Jack shoot a nice overhead video of the TH with an explanation of rules so far and a detailed explanation of shots etc. I remember being ready to get out of the Predator then that asshole did a vid that explained the game and it really sealed the deal for me, granted thats a terrible example but my point is made, I got out of TH but man I would still love to see a properly made turtorial of gameplay, could keep some people in who are ready to jump ship and maybe even bring a few new buyers aboard. Just a thought.

1 week later
#8535 8 years ago

That looks beautiful, I hope JJP does a theme I love and I'll be in, maybe PL's game. I'm also hoping for a game a year from them in the near future, with Heighway, JJP and Stern we are back in business. I really wish JJP would do a Starwars based on the original trilogy, or a classic 80's film like , Oh I don't know, Blade Runner? how about Predator? Someone needs to build that game for real, Looking forward to trying this pin.

#8660 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

True. The thing is, JJP HAS to be better than Stern. If not then what's the point? People would just stick with the bigger, faster company pumping out machines. If JJP was equal in quality to Stern they would be dead

Yep, Stern is putting out 3 to 4 games a year almost vs JJP 1 game every 3 to 4 years, it better be amazing otherwise they are dead in the water. I hope JJP gets into a flow sooner than later but for now not that many people are willing to wait 3 years for their machine. I've lost interest in the TH, not that I wouldn't want one down the road but man way too long, Stern isn't worried about JJP right now thats for sure.

2 weeks later
#8830 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Folks trying to claim "the LCD is useless" is starting to sound silly....

Its very selective, I personally couldn't care less about the display in a pinball, I bought Colour DMD's for a couple pins and after a few games the novelty wore off. JJP has a hell of a display and it looks great but if was between TH and the latest Stern the display would be the last thing I took into consideration.

#8847 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Do you really think the novelty wore off? Here is how you fix that... Play a different copy of the game without one. After you get used to color in a game, an actual DMD in it looks horrible to my eyes. It instantly looks outdated.

It did for me, I had many other games without it and it wasn't like they were all of a sudden less fun to play, I'm not saying it didn't look better but it didn't make the overall pin any more enjoyable in the long run, I find lighting more of an enhancment to the gameplay than the display, JMO

2 months later
#9031 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Oh, and to one of those downvoters to my last post. I thought you were going to "ignore" me and never see my posts. Please do.

I thought it was me for a minute but I now know that its defintely you, I will not ignore just for spite and retract my apology 100%, I don't really like people who try to police these threads, people can ask whatever they like and as many times as they like, I will be all over everything you say. Enjoy

evil_laugh_by_x9thewolf4x_(resized).pngevil_laugh_by_x9thewolf4x_(resized).png

#9037 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I have a Metallica LE. Love it. But I don't think value wise it's an $8000 game.

I agree, STLE has been the only Stern LE that for me justified the cost, TWDLE left me very unsatisfied, great game but I felt cheated. I'm hoping either GB or SW's will redeem my faith in their limited editions but for now I'm out. The Hobbit seems like its worth its price and if I was a fan of the films/books etc. I would have to have it like Aliens LE, which I have no problem waiting for, well to a point, if it reached 2017 and I still don't recieve my game then it will start testing my patience.

4 months later
#9764 7 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Does anyone still think this is a slow pin ?

Yes.

#9766 7 years ago
Quoted from B9:

It's not as fast as the modern day Stern games, but I do find the Hobbit to be somewhat zippy.

Its just a different type of pin than Stern, a widebody with that much open space will never be fast, but thats good for some people, need variety.

#9771 7 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

A widebody is every bit as fast as any standard pin, there's just more real estate to cover making it seem slow. If you want "faster" increase the pitch and crank up the flipper power.

What? i just realized this isn't the GB vs Hobbit thread and I have no business posting here, but what you said is ridiculous. Bye

#9774 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

How is his comment ridiculous?

because its slower. who cares why? whether its a larger playfield or not doesn't take away from the fact its slow and floaty, thats what I meant by ridiculous. Look I said it already this isn't the thread for me to be posting in and I agree not every game needs to be a speed demon, TH is not and thats for sure, thats cool.

#9779 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Just because it's not as fast as Stern pins in general doesn't mean that it is "slow and floaty" either. It's not. If you played one that was, it wasn't set up right.

I'm not saying it like its a terrible thing just not for me, glad you guys are digging the pin. Jesus did I make a mistake posting in this thread, bye bye.

#9784 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Why are you acting like I overreacted? You gave an opinion. I gave mine. Pretty simple.
Why act like you were personally attacked?

Not you Rob it was in general I just quoted you last so it seemed that way, I did make a mistake and its was my fault for posting negative in a thread where I don't own the pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hazoff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1?tu=hazoff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.