Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1749 5 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

I'm just curious Craz, since you own WOZ, who are you going to turn to if you need service or technical help? You've pretty much burned your bridges with JJP.

I'm sure JJP is professional enough to provide the warranty service it has promised to all of its customers, including the blindly loyal, the occasionally critical, and the purely peevish alike.

2 weeks later
#2161 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

What's new besides the button and backglass (way better than old one)?? The art is the same (nut sack king on left, white Orc on right). Disappointed.

I know it's been discussed to death, but I'll agree that it's still a very odd design choice to have the largest and most prominent characters on each side be the villains. Especially when they're as unattractive as the goblin king. With the photoshop art package, it would only take a few clicks of the mouse to pop them out of there, or shrink them down and tuck them in the background somewhere. Oh well, at least they're not on the back glass!

#2174 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

It would be cool if the crossbow shot out a laser light when activated to show where the arrow hits, with a sensor on Smaug in the "sensitive" spot.

New Jack Hobbit?

1 month later
#2926 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Agreed. I haven't seen Jurassic Park in a few years, but I'm pretty sure the T-REX didn't eat a pinball.

You must not have seen the Director's Cut.

#2935 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The original Hobbit animated film is still the canonical version for me. My kids still listen to the vinyl (ripped to MP3) version of it, the story and music are great.

Have to disagree with you on this one. I remember being so excited to watch the movie at school on a rainy day in second grade, and my great disappointment with the animation style and voices compared to Tolkien's illustrations and what I'd imagined hearing my dad read the book aloud to me and my brother. And I wasn't a huge fan of the music either (I know there's plenty in the books, but that "Greatest Adventure" song still grates on me ...)

Having said that, if I watched it again now it would might well compare favorably to Peter Jackson's version. I'll be waiting for someone to release a good fan edit of the films online (like the Matrix DeZionized), trimming the whole thing down to the 2-3 hours it should have been in the first place.

1 month later
#3873 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

It's a waste of production money and resources. That mech isn't cheap. PPL charges $36+ for a flipper unit. So you know JJP is probably paying $12 something a unit. That's a lot of expense for production. You can create a lot of stuff for $12. Things that would be more fun, or more visually appealing. Just to have that expense for maybe a combo bonus with that flipper? Kinda lame. About as good as Demo man when you use the triggers and get the million point bonus per shot.

If it's really only $12 to add an extra flipper on an $9k game, why not throw on a few more?!?

3 weeks later
#4351 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

There isn't a KJ game I haven't played that hasnt been great.

I was wondering about this. I haven't played close to all of Keith's games but his work seems to be universally well regarded. Assuming you enjoy "deep" games why would you worry about him having a bunch of modes to play with? Of course who knows until the code is done, but wouldn't "the more the merrier" seem like a more likely outcome given Keith's track record?

4 weeks later
#4602 4 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Usally when books are translated into movies, they have to cut things to fit it into 2 hours. I think it's refreshing for the opposite to occur once in a while. And if not refreshing, certainly not a travesty.

Farting dwarves, Mortal Kombat Gandalf and an "Over Niagara Falls in a Barrel" sequence may have been many things, but I wouldn't say they were refreshing!

Quoted from Jakenjoi:

From the critics to the everyday movie-goer, everyone said there were scenes and bits that could and perhaps should have been left out.

There's a tremendous amount of lard in the movies. The problem isn't that they made a 9 hours of movie out of a 200 page book, it's that it feels like that's what they did when you watch it. Thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread, if you follow me.

I'm waiting for the fan edit. Someone will trim out all the padding and we'll be left with an enjoyable 3 or 4 hours of Hobbit.

#4604 4 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

How can anyone complain about farting dwarves?

Well, that new lady-elf that PJ tossed into the mix must feel the same way since she fell in love with one of the dwarves at first sight (scent?)

1 month later
#5557 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Are you aware of the other lawsuit(s) against Jack/JJP beyond Elaut that have not been announced? Elaut made a public declaration of their lawsuit. Others did not.

Are you aware that court records are public and that any complaint that's filed against JJP would be on the public record? There's no need to "announce" lawsuits. If you know of other lawsuits that have been filed by all means post them, they could be relevant here. Otherwise you're just making things up in an effort to hurt JJP's business.

1 week later
#5719 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

There is a reason the smartest guys in the room are hated.

You botched the saying, I believe it's actually "there's a reason guys who refer to themselves as 'the smartest guys in the room' are hated." Which there is, and they are.

#5738 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

If you can't get your hands on an original this is a great one to have on hand. (I own it, and it is really nice)
amazon.com link »

Agreed, got this for Christmas last year and it's awesome, lots of great details/background in the annotations, which are integrated with the story text in a nice way. If nothing else it's worth a look for the various international edition illustrations (and Tolkien's dismal responses to all of them).

1 week later
#6060 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I am sure hoping that one of the modes in the game features the skirmish between Galadriel, Elrond, Saruman and the nine witchkings at Dol Guldur. That is a great scene.

I didn't see the third movie. Was that in the theatrical release or is this some kind of outtake? Lots of the special effects look half-baked so I'm assuming this is something they never polished up for inclusion in the film?

Regardless, I'm sure Keith could do something fun with this (along with the "dwarves' flume ride" and various other "inspired by the book" scenes they packed in to fill nine hours).

#6061 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

That would be a good one...and/or a riddle mode between Frodo and Gollum where you have to hit a specific drop target for the correct answers. Would also like to see a mode where Frodo puts on the ring and the pf goes dark and you have to hit a certain amount of shots to relight everything.

I think you meant Bilbo but love both of these ideas (and it's hard to imagine that at least the first one won't be in the final game).

2 weeks later
#6318 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Anything that limits enjoyment in order to prolong that lifespan is redundant imo.

And now that we've established your position on condoms ...

2 weeks later
#6532 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

SE for me. I don't like looking at any nutsack other than my own.

Do you use a hand-mirror for that?!?

#6588 4 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

I played it several times including a couple of games with friends and many games with my wife at the Pinball Showdown earlier this month and really like the gameplay, artwork, video and audio, etc. and also what I'm hearing from David Thiel. I didn't preorder a WOZ and thought I would never own one because I had never spent more than around $3750 for a pin. But after playing and seeing it even in a fairly primitive stage at the Denver show, I eventually bought one hardly used. It was from a person who had it a very short time and then suddenly needed to sell WOZ as his car unexpectedly needed to be replaced. I love it and think it's incredible! I am hoping and now believing TH will be incredible as well. Has tons of modes, seems really fun, and believe I will eventually be owning one.

Did you get the "half price" WOZ that was on Craigslist a few months back? If so, congrats!

1 week later
#6822 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

At least someone could have thrown up a couple of boob shots as a consolation prize.

Sorry dude, those days are over:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-try-and-keep-pinside-family-friendly

2 weeks later
#7308 4 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

I would think Smaug would require some speech... otherwise we would just have to be lip readers... It would be weird if that big talking head didn't say anything....

I imagine he meant hiring a voice actor to do pinball-specific callouts (as opposed to just movie clips).

1 week later
#7453 4 years ago

Thanks for posting. Seeing them all together, that first pic has got to be of a test printed playfield on top of a bunch of blanks, given that the subsequent picture shows routed, printed playfields properly separated on a drying rack.

2 weeks later
#7675 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You obviously have a major personal problem with me, and you let me know it the very first time that you ever directly engaged me on this forum by telling me that "I don't like you one iota."

Now that was a classic exchange, with insults fit for a Captain! Sadly, the quality of the Captain's invective in this thread just isn't up to snuff.

But you should really include the "Full disclosure:" bit when you're quoting the Captain (formatting adjusted to highlight the slant rhyme that gives it a poetic feel):
Full disclosure:
I don't like you one iota.

#7739 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

you guys probably like this guy too, and you know what, he sucks.
morrissey21.jpg

Are you kidding, just look at that hair! What's not to love?

#7758 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

More likely that the new money is used to buy more WOZ parts. New investors are there to make money. There is money to be made selling WOZ right now. No money to be made selling the first 1500 or so Hobbits.

So are all the Hobbit pre-orders fully paid up now? If not there's still some money to be made in collecting the outstanding balances when the games ship.

#7799 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

OT: I simply quoted another post that had been posted here on Pinside.. I took nothing from the JJP forum and brought it here.

Yeah, Jack may have been upset (and if the terms and conditions say no reposting the person that actually did the reposting might have expected a response) but it sounds like Jack banned the wrong guy!

Rules aside, it's also hard to understand how Jack could post something inflamatory on the internet and expect it to remain "private." He's been around long enough to know better.

#7804 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

My posting it caused a rift with someone I highly respect, so I have regrets. But like others have said, if it wasn't me it would be someone - you can't keep things on the internet private.

Did you get kicked off the JJP forums as well?

#7843 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Jack has numerous times mocked pinside, it doesn't bother me and nor am I offended by it. I don't think it's a smart business decision though. You certainly do not see Gary doing that with stern.

Agree 100%. I'm not offended by anything Jack or Rick do, but they both display bizarre behavior from a public relations/company building perspective. I guess the downside of being rich and self-employed is that there's no one to remind you that dignified silence is the correct response to 99% of online criticisms. Ship your games and provide decent customer support and the rest will take care of itself.

#7857 4 years ago
Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

I get that they're shipping Full Throttle but Is anyone buying Full Throttle?

Ooh, epic burn!

#8114 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The Shadow stunk, but it's an awesome machine.

In The Shadow's defense, they at least had the sense to wrap things up after 108 minutes. Say what you will about Peter Jackson, but he evidently doesn't believe in leaving anything on the cutting room floor these days. If he shoots it, it's going in!

#8127 4 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

Am I the only one that really likes the movie The Shadow? What is not liked about this movie? Jonny Mnemonic I think is a OK dated movie and I see why people would hate that but The Shadow a bad movie?

I have very fond memories of watching The Shadow at the drive-in back in '94. And I bought the Blu-ray after I bought the pinball game, and enjoyed it again for nostalgic reasons (plus identifying all of the call-outs) and the camp factor. That said, it's hardly shocking that it failed to become the next Batman ...

1 week later
#8362 4 years ago

Thanks for sharing this update, cool to hear more details on code and sound.

Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

We are on track to begin Hobbit Production this Fall.

Based on this, sound like JJP expects to have the first game on the line by Dec 21 (last day of Fall this year)?

#8445 4 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

It's good to see the "Who's getting there's before me" stuff again. It means we're in the home stretch.

Seems premature to call it the "home stretch" when the first game hasn't even hit the line yet. That said I hope they hit their target of getting games into production before the end of the year, this game looks sweet!

#8455 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

My understanding is that they average about 50 a week. So about 10ish a day

Are they currently pumping out 50 WOZ a week? Are they really still selling that quickly? Or was that the high-point when they were working their way through the WOZ pre-orders a few years back? If they can consistently do 50 a week, they could run 1000 pre-ordered machines (just making that number up by way of example) in about 5 months. So if they're really able to get production started by late December, the last of the pre-ordered games would be shipping in May. Hopefully they'll be able to speed up production to get these games out faster!

#8473 4 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

it could be 75+ a week, starting in November

Has JJP suggested recently that they'll be starting production in November?

#8497 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So is that voiceover in the new video the Gandalf impersonator?

Sure sounds like it

#8601 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Exciting times for JJP ahead, they sound more confident about releasing TH in Fall, so what's that, end of November at the latest?

Not to be a wet blanket but "fall" technically ends December 22 this year (the winter solstice). Of course we all hope they have games on the line before then.

#8673 4 years ago

For everyone admiring the new Hobbit playfield pics but too cheap/broke to buy in, remember that there's an open Project Pinball raffle, winner gets their choice of Hobbit or WOZ:
http://www.projectpinball.org/sweepstakes/

2 weeks later
#8812 4 years ago

Latest I've seen is still that JJP "hopes" to have Hobbit on the line this fall (i.e. by late December). So if they can stick to that hopefully the first owners will be receiving games early in 2016.

1 month later
#8852 4 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Nope. Another guarantee that it will be produced "this month" by Jack is the latest offering.

They've been saying "production starting this Fall" for a while, which gives them until Dec 21 this year. Of course if Jack's updated that to "this month" then the heat is on! I'm just hoping they hit the later date, would be a bummer if no games are on the line in 2015.

#8872 4 years ago

I hope it's true!

#8876 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

I was told tentative Nov 17th the line fires up.
I guess we see next week in 6 days if any new pics get posted...

That'll be great if they pull it off -- having at least a few Hobbits delivered before Christmas would probably make all of the pre-order folks feel much happier. For my part I can't wait to try one on location!

#8923 4 years ago

More recently it's been rumored they'd start the Hobbit line up tomorrow. Hopefully that rumor will check out.

[EDIT] Added source to be clear I have no first-hand knowledge:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/178#post-2792061

#8943 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Let's take your minds off the Hobbit!

100_per_cent.jpg

You're fired.

#8945 4 years ago

Why am I suddenly nervous we're about to discover you've got a disturbingly large collection of optical-illusion upskirt shots!

2 months later
#9252 4 years ago
Quoted from mattenno:

If I put my order in now, how long will it take to get my game?

One thing to consider is whether it makes any sense to pre-order now. Unless I'm mistaken you've already missed the "discount" window so there's no financial benefit. You'd put yourself somewhere in line, but probably pretty far back. And your money would be tied up for an unknown number of months or years during which time you might have a change of heart (or wish you'd used that money to cycle through a few other machines while you waited).

You'd probably get your machine at least as quickly by waiting until the games start shipping and then a) buying from an early adopter that decides the game isn't for them, or b) buying directly from a distributor that has stock.

#9293 4 years ago
Quoted from B9:

New pics from JJP Facebook page (Yes these have already been posted to the 2016 Hobbit thread)

All those winter hats on the production line -- hope Jack isn't freezing his workers, it's tough doing detail work with shivering hands!

#9300 4 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Its amazing.. every pic gets dissected gotta laugh cause what else can we do?

Relax, I'm just having some fun! The guys on the other side of the line in the first pic aren't bundled up so it can't be too cold in there. Just funny to see all those winter hats indoors!

1 month later
#9455 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Lol, I've seen (and been guilty of) many worse auto corrects. Like when I accidentally told my old boss "I love you" because I hit space bar three times and my keyboard automatically entered the next three words it felt was appropriate for the conversation.

Was that the beginning of a beautiful friendship?

3 weeks later
#9659 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Who said there was anything "wrong"?
I simply said "new money > old money" , and I stand by it. It was true for WoZ, it'll be true now.

But for WOZ wasn't it true for a very specific reason, that JJP was taking new orders on WOZ Standards and then making and shipping them out in place of making and shipping the WOZLEs for which it had already been paid? That may well happen again with Hobbit, of course, but it seems like what halpain24 described here is a different scenario.

#9683 3 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Have you guys seen this??! It's pretty remarkable
https://vimeo.com/mattbucy/ootw

Weird! Know any backstory on this, like what the editor was trying to acomplish?

1 month later
#9785 3 years ago

Within the last five hours:

Quoted from Hazoff:

What? i just realized this isn't the GB vs Hobbit thread and I have no business posting here, but what you said is ridiculous. Bye

Quoted from Hazoff:

Look I said it already this isn't the thread for me to be posting in

Quoted from Hazoff:

Jesus did I make a mistake posting in this thread, bye bye.

Quoted from Hazoff:

I did make a mistake and its was my fault for posting negative in a thread where I don't own the pin.

So what you're saying is we'll be hearing a lot more from you in this thread in the days and weeks to come?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 50.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside