47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtowndobe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#312 10 years ago

Very excited to see more detail(s) on this pin. Wish things were happening faster!

2 months later
#1376 9 years ago

Just my opinion, but I see some of the Hobbit PF art complaints in the WOZ PF art...

Got a chance to see WOZ at the Allentown show - damn cool pin.

Can't wait to see the Hobbit when it's all said and done. Like the PF art so far, but agree with some of the complaints - how can you not?! I would imagine it is going to be a deep, deep game that will be an instant classic.

*** looking under couch cushions for extra change as we speak ***

10 months later
#5603 9 years ago

Begging for an update....!!!!!

#5654 9 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

At what point should I have asked for a refund, huh?

You should have asked for a refund the exact second you felt uncomfortable about having your money tied up with nothing to show for it... Doesn't get any simpler than that. If you were on an emotional roller coaster with your WOZ preorder delays and you didn't care for it, I can't imagine why you would go through the experience (potentially) again on TH.

I've got two TH's on order and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. I'm certainly chomping at the bit to get the games. But, I'm willing to ride the coaster in the hopes of a helluva game at the end. If the game ultimately sucks, I'll sell. If I take a loss in the sale, so be it. That's a risk I am willing to take.

If the preorder model isn't your cup of tea, don't write the check. No sense in arguing back and forth about it at this point. Has gotten beyond monotonous seeing umpteen million posts flying back and forth about it, IMHO.

#5656 9 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I just would like some communication as to the delays.

+1

I'm OK with having my money tied up, but I would definitely like some regular communication from JJP - even if it is to tell me a bunch of whatever parts came in wrong...

1 week later
#5932 8 years ago

TH looked fantastic in my opinion. Played it once, didn't last very long...!

Cabinet decals looked awesome, playfield looked awesome, LCD was awesome, music was awesome.

I do agree that the back of the playfield area needs more attention.

Can't wait to get this sucker in my house!!

#6004 8 years ago

I was told, by Jack @ at the Allentown show, that TH production was going to begin in a few weeks. Not sure if that means 2 weeks, 3 weeks or more, but that's all I got to share.

Would be nice if JJP posted pics of TH production when it begins. Would go a long way in making people more comfortable...

#6005 8 years ago

Useless bump to 6000 posts...

Looking forward to more info!

#6007 8 years ago

Choices are good, so I'd like to see a backboard decal provided by JJP and then alternate ones from the likes of Aurich & BackAlley.

2 weeks later
#6134 8 years ago

The silence, for me, is deafening...

3 weeks later
#6519 8 years ago

Have both on order!!!!

(SE for me, LE for dear family friends who went above and beyond for my family during a time of crisis)

1 week later
#6614 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Oh man, my wife still doesn't know this is coming. I'm in so much trouble.

A moment of silence for TimeBandit please....

#6807 8 years ago

Very excited for the next update... And the upcoming JJP open house.

My distro mentioned there might be an update this week. I sure hope so!

Would also like to learn more about TH code/modes/game play. Got a chance to play it at Pinfest and was impressed by everything.

Fingers crossed in anticipation!

1 week later
#6986 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

In all seriousness, at this point do you pre-payers want small updates on minor changes to the Hobbit or do you just want it manufactured and shipped to your door?
I think you all know what I would want, get the game to me now. Assemble that badboy and let me play the crap out of it.

Personally, I want minor updates AND I want the game to ship as soon as possible. I want my cake and I want to eat it too! I do wish there was more transparency about the whole process, for better or worse... Show/tell me the good and the bad!

#7246 8 years ago

Sounds to me like this pin will ultimately be phenomenal...

Lots of stuff to do and modes to complete. Given my lackluster skill level, I doubt I'll ever see half of what TH will have to offer!

I like the planned implementation of the lock down bar button - sounds very cool and adds a nice dimension.

Can't wait for TH to start shipping!

1 month later
#7653 8 years ago

Hopefully the mods will step in and put an end to insanely useless back and forth BS about other pins and personal sh!t.

Supposed to be a thread for updates on The Hobbit, regardless if there are any or not.

1 week later
#8112 8 years ago

I liked TH movies - were they as good as the LOTR trilogy? Hell no. TH and LOTR were on all weekend (TNT, USA or TBS - don't recall) - watched a few of them again. Still enjoyed them all.

TH, in my opinion, is a perfect theme for a pinball machine... regardless of the like/dislike for the movies.

As a comparison, I absolutely despise the Wizard of Oz movie - but damn if I don't love me some WOZ pinball!

1 week later
#8351 8 years ago

I'd be more inclined to rent a place with a pinball machine than one without...!

If I were to ever get a vacation home, and rent it out, I'd consider putting a machine or two in it.

3 months later
#9099 8 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

One day I would like to know why JJP went with the serial light chain design. Such a basic design 101 violation introducing thousands of single points of failure in a critical system. One bad component or wire on one bulb and poof, the game is down. Couple the faulty design with flaky leds components and you have a real mess on your hands. TH has certainly benefited from the lessons learned on WoZ. Let's hope it's a solid performer. Heaven knows JJP has taken enough time to get it right.

I'm not an electrical engineer or anything like that so I don't know a lot, but I can tell you it is very, very easy to isolate a bad light board in a WOZ, and simply "remove" it from the chain, leaving all other boards fully operational. Once you get a the new light board, you're back in business quickly. Neighbor has a WOZRR and it is extremely simply to replace a bad board, should you need to. YMMV

#9107 8 years ago

In general, LED bulbs don't go bad, certainly not with intended usage, even after many, many thousands of hours. If an LED bulb is bad, it's bad from the get-go. So if you've got an LED bulb that is not working, in a socket, it's most likely not the bulb. Then you have to potentially replace the socket (which usually requires soldering tools), or trace it back to the main board and fix something there, no?

I'd rather unplug an LED board, jump it so the rest of the boards down the line work, then plug in the new board when I get it. Doesn't get much easier.

I'm not giving JJP a pass on the original design - seems as though the original light boards were ill-designed from the start. Had they been designed / spec'd properly from the beginning, there'd be zero issue with the daisy chain style integration. And like Dave H says, bulb and socket implementation is rapidly becoming extinct. Like it or not.

John in NC - all my Xmas lights are LED except for the ones on our fake tree - and if one LED goes out, the rest stay lit! To hell with those old bulbs!!! Luckily, if one of the WOZ light boards goes out, it doesn't disable the game - but I agree, it creates a very minor inconvenience of needing to jump the board and replace when the new one arrives. I'd wager it would take physically longer to replace a socket, properly, or trace and repair main light board, than it would to swap a LED light board. One to four screws and a plug.

But I could be and probably am wrong! My wife says so all the time...

#9108 8 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Granted, it's easy to diagnose and fix but this design is equivalent to the wiring in old Christmas light strings, one goes out and you are dead in the water. You can live with a single bulb out but the machine is useless until you fix what should be a minor inconvenience issue. JJP corrected it in TH thank goodness.

How does TH LED light board design differ from WOZ's? I'm curious to know as I try to learn more about the game I will eventually get!!

4 months later
#9741 7 years ago

Looks amazing! Wish mine would get here already!!!

I can tell you have issues hitting the ramps... {sarcasm}

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 25.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtowndobe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1?tu=dtowndobe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.