Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dgpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#795 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Man, every time I see multiple new post's I think great a video or some new pic's etc. What do I get but little kiddie arguments that do not help anyone especially the updates for The Hobbit and JJP. Please just updates for a game that we all are excited about and looking forward to adding to our collection. Please.......................

New to Pinside and JJP threads aren't you!

Sadly, this is the way it has been for quite awhile, endless pettiness, trolling, and agendas galore.

#959 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

That's been a rumored feature for quite some time. Lots of people on here have tried to poo-poo that rumor, but it still seems to be in play. I think it's pretty cool, myself. Time will tell.

Cool idea, yes very, but the problem is now if it isn't in the game it will be disappointing!

Regardless, game looks very good, I think it will be a worthy successor to WOZ, different, but maintaining it's high standards!

1 month later
#1173 5 years ago

Never good to hear of people leaving a company, but in this case seems to almost make sense. JJP doesn't at the current time have the ability to turn out mulitiple games a year like Stern can, therefore makes no sense to have more than 2 designers on the payroll. It also seems like a good idea to bring in new design blood for the future, especially since the first 2 games were done by the same person. The plan originally was probably to have Dennis Nordman do the second game, but as we all know it took much longer to get WOZ off the ground than was originally planned and Dennis left for whatever reason, so the first 2 games were designed by Joe. Since PL is doing the 3rd game, and someone unknown the 4th, unfeasible for JB to stick around for maybe 3 years or more to design game # 5.

Like most of us, I hope that JJP can produce more games in a shorter time span, but as it stands now, having more than 2 designers at a time on staff is not good business.

4 weeks later
#1343 5 years ago

Overall, very impressed, but the Smaug in the middle of the playfield seems off somehow, needs to be a little bigger to my eye.

5 months later
#2634 5 years ago

I'm late getting into this because of my schedule, and I'll admit to being a little bit nervous to see what they came up with since Expo, (and I was not upset at all by what I saw there), but I'm just blown away by the new playfield art and everything else, can't understand how anyone can not be impressed!

JJP is to be commended on listening to their customers, taking criticism as feedback even when it was obviously agenda driven, and not being stubborn as some companies are.

This is going to be one FANTASTIC pin!!

#3028 5 years ago

IMO "Toys" are really way overrated in pinball, especially in the long term.

In the vast majority of cases they are there to attract the player to the game, it's the what does that do factor to lure you in, but after discovering what they do, it quickly wears off. What makes a game great is combination of shots, sound, light and a gratifying experience when you reach a goal, not the action of a playfield feature that you've seen a million times before.

What will make or break The Hobbit will be how the drops and pop-ups are integrated into the rules and how satisfying the quests in the game are, not if Smaug touches the ball or not. That said, it seems completely forgotten that he does shoot the ball at you from right beside his head, at Expo I initially thought it was coming out of his mouth, so it does somewhat give you that illusion.

1 month later
#3885 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

There's a thin line between love and hate...it's indifference that shows you don't care about something.
I'm really shocked at how people pick apart everything JJP does. Every single item on every game has to come under scrutiny from somebody that doesn't even have money down or the slightest interest in the game. And I just don't understand it.
I have ZERO interest in Stern's new WWE machine, so I don't say a word about it. I couldn't give a shit if it's good or bad, whether it has spinners on it or drop targets, or whatever. I'm not getting one, and I'll probably not even play the damn thing.
Why do some people care so much about Hobbit when they claim they really don't care about it?

Wish I could have thumbs upped this post about a 100 times, feel exactly the same way!

#3944 5 years ago

Anything over 1M on WOZ is a very,very good game, a lot of things have to come together to get to that point.

3 weeks later
#4219 5 years ago

I think both Smaug's look great, quite frankly better than I thought the finished product would be!

The amount of changes and improvements that have happened since Expo are astounding, I wasn't disappointed in what I saw there at all, but they listened to what the majority was saying and I think it's pretty apparent that we will all see a better game because of it!

1 month later
#4689 5 years ago

I'm somewhat surprised by the reactions to the Rad-Cals, I saw them at Expo and thought they looked fantastic, unfortunately at over $500 CDN I can't justify them right now, maybe later when our dollar bounces back.

1 week later
#4874 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Because I wanted it to be great.

Don't you think you should at least let it be finished before you pronounce it not great

This is the same thing that happened with WOZ, people judging it in the early prototype stages before it was released, makes no sense. I really thought lessons would have been learned from that, but jumping to premature conclusions seems to be the norm here rather than the exception.

1 week later
#5030 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I'm anxious to see the finished machine but I'll never beleive another word from his mouth that's not backed up by action.

Well, he said he was going to make a great pinball machine with the Wizard of Oz, he backed that up and then some!

3 weeks later
#5698 4 years ago

Posted on the JJP Google group a few hours ago by JJP:

We learned a lot with this license.

Doing a movie series that has not been released is something we will not do again. Sure if there are 2 in the bag and one more - OK - but all three not done - too many IP assets that are not available to you to make something that is complete.

The whole redesign after Pinball Expo was almost the same as making a whole new game. I guess we will list all of the ECN's and part changes and all of the ripples that had on the physical, virtual and BOM.

BTW - we do not "get" our parts from China. Some electronic parts naturally come from China. Out met parts, etc....good old USA, Wires are made in USA - maybe the wire comes from China (?) - speakers come from China, etc....China is not our issue.

Engineering side of the company was an issue but is not now as we have added the right people there.

3 weeks later
#6161 4 years ago

Jack can be his own worst enemy, I think even he would tell you that, putting his foot in his mouth, or not knowing when to let a sleeping dog lie, are common occurrences. He simply does not communicate well on forums like these, it's just not his forte.

I'm a day 1 order for TH, and was in early on WOZ, so all the pre-order drama is old hat for me, and I've listened to various people piss and moan about how Jack conducts his business for almost 5 years now, and I doubt it's going to change much in the future. All I know is that Jack made an incredible game with WOZ, I think The Hobbit is going to be as good if not better, and until something concrete happens to change my mind, I will continue to support JJP, ignore all the speculation, and not worry about whether I like how Jack comes off on forums.

#6312 4 years ago

I've got several protectors on different machines, I would recommend them for games you've done touchups on, that have sunken inserts, or other defects, but I don't really see the need for them on a new clear coated machine, just seems like over kill to me.

1 week later
#6415 4 years ago

One of the better seminars I have attended, really enjoyed both Dave and Butchs presentations, and the whole feel was very positive. Jack has to walk a very fine line between being truthful and not revealing something that could come back to bite him, Im sure he would like to say a lot more!

#6458 4 years ago

One of the few seminars that I've attended where I wasn't kind of waiting for it too end, and a big part of the reason was Dave Thiels presentation, very interesting and informative. I've always thought that sound was absolutely crucial to a games success, yet some companies have continuously downplayed it's importance

#6481 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There's no sugar coating what they had at Expo. If you were there then you know, the whole floor thought it was disappointing. Sorry, it's just the truth. I talked to a ton of people there, people I knew, and people I didn't (lots of people saw my nametag and just introduced themselves, which was awesome, loved meeting you all). Everyone felt the same way. Obviously JJP heard it and went back to the drawing board. Good for them! But they needed to do it, or the game was in trouble.

I guess I was in the minority then, I thought the game at Expo was fine, not saying it isn't better now, it is, but I had no problem with it as it was, and was really surprised by all the negativity.

Regardless, the game as it sits now is looking very good, I think the word that Dave Thiel used in his presentation at the NW show best describes it, "EPIC"

3 weeks later
#6973 4 years ago

I read Jack's comments about Jpop when they were first posted in the JJP forum, didn't agree with everything he said, but certainly didn't cause me any concern about The Hobbit or the future of JJP.

One thing I've learned since first sending getting on board with WOZ is that Jack can be his own worst enemy. especially when it comes to expressing himself in print, he just doesn't seem to know how to phrase things to avoid trouble. He would be a horrible politician, wouldn't last a second in that viper pit, and unfortunately, Pinside is not far removed from that, the slightest misstep is pounced on.

If what Jack said really bothers you so much that you won't buy a JJP product now or in the future, that is certainly your prerogative, but seems like a bit of an over-reaction to me.

#6982 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

In all seriousness, at this point do you pre-payers want small updates on minor changes to the Hobbit or do you just want it manufactured and shipped to your door?
I think you all know what I would want, get the game to me now. Assemble that badboy and let me play the crap out of it.

I'm in no hurry for The Hobbit to arrive, in fact with the CDN$ taking such a hit because of the Greece situation, I'm really hoping there will be some rebound time before I get the call, (I should have one the first 250 games off the line). To me, it'll get here when it gets here, felt the same way about WOZ and that worked out just fine.

"Good things come to those who wait" has always seemed like good advice to me!

1 week later
#7337 4 years ago

You'll never please everyone when you use anything but the original voices, but they did a pretty terrific job on WOZ. I'm sure They will do right by The Hobbit as well.

#7350 4 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

If you like the theme and lay out on the hobbit you will love this pin, i am pretty sure about that.
I like everything but the layout. Way to simplistic for me. Both sides same shots, and Smaug doing nothing, cant get passed that to be a buyer in the future. A bit gutted about it, cause this should have been my dreampin.

I wouldn't give up on it yet, sometimes repeated play on a machine that initially didn't like will change your mind, pinball to me is one of those rare exceptions to the "you can't undo a first impression" rule. I didn't care at all for CFTBL or The Shadow when they came out, now a couple of my favorite games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 88.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dgpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside