Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#136 6 years ago
Quoted from tjsynkral:

The best non-actually-damaging way to get this effect that comes to my mind is strands of fiber optic popping out of his mouth for a moment. But that may just look cheesy, tho that never stopped JJP before.

You could put a fan in the dragon's mouth, silk paper and LEDs that would trigger at certain times and that would look like real flames.

silk-flame-simulated-fire-effect-light-base-unit-halloween-869-p[ekm]340x255[ekm].jpg

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

That's actually pretty cool. It sounded cheesy when described- but it looks pretty slick.

It is what I plan on doing to my WOZECLE topper when I get the game. I hope to make it interactive.

1 month later
#239 5 years ago

^The prices are already too high for most and you are suggesting they raise it some more?

Most people would rather have two Stern Pros for around $9000 than one LE for about the same price. I personally feel that between $6000 and $6900 is the sweet spot for a full featured game in the present economy.

3 weeks later
#356 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I would personally rather buy direct from jjp.

Why, so you can be one of the last people to receive the game? That is what is happening with WOZ.

#362 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

That did not happen to me. I was 250 in line to get my wozle and that is what happened. Nothing but good things to say about the processes.

The people that ordered late in the process from Pinballsales (JJP sales entity) got jumped by the customers that bought from distributors.
For example, TaylorVA ordered from a distributor in 3/2012 and received his game in the middle of last year. I ordered mine from Pinballsales in 2/2012 and still don't have a clue when it will arrive. There does not seem to be any sense of urgency to get the pre-ordered games finished. I see one or two trickling in, but not at any rate that will get them done in the next few months.
They have been working on the early June 2011 orders going on 4 months now. For example Ken in Texas ordered June 16, 2011 and was shipped on 12/2/13, and Cleland (a June 13 2011 order) was delivered 3/18/14.

3 weeks later
#917 5 years ago

The ramps look really cool. Likely the diverter can make the ramps go to the inner dueling ramp based on extra buttons next to the flipper buttons similar to TS.
It will be interesting to see how the upper flippers are needed in gameplay as I am sure they have a specific purpose.

#919 5 years ago

Anybody else notice the serpentine return habittrail from the right ramp? It appears to be a small tribute to the Mount Doom serpentine habittrail in LOTR.

#967 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yup, lots to see still. WOZ has a ton of toys / features on its playfield and with the The Hobbit supposedly driving 17 more things than WOZ I think we have only seen less than half of its toys so far

Couldn't quite a few of the extra drivers in Hobbit be for flashers which WOZ does not have?

#969 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

They way Jack was emphasizing the use of these extra drivers leads me to believe they are something more significant than flashers.

Just to put it into perspective, LOTR has 9 drivers for flashers. I believe JJP said that 17 drivers are not used in WOZ but are used in Hobbit. Either way I am sure Hobbit will be loaded with stuff in a similar manner to WOZ.

3 weeks later
#1113 5 years ago

That certainly does not sound/look good when they also recently dumped that other vice president last week. It especially is worrisome in that Balcer is the Hobbit designer and that game is not finished yet.

I am starting to feel that everyone with skin in the games should prepare to lose out.

#1121 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Really? Come on the design of the game is done. If Joe has moved on than who better than kieth to dial it in. The hobbit is a lot farther along than you all know. Pf art almost done.....rules done being programmed now......all parts designed and being fabricated.

You honestly believe that all the mechanical engineering is done and tuned?
I truly hope you are correct.

#1165 5 years ago

Perhaps Robin could edit the thread to remove the personal content that has nothing to do with JJP.

Quoted from iceman44:

Seriously, sometimes I wonder wtf is wrong with people………how STUPID do you have to be to post something like that. It's not funny…...

4 months later
#1587 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

These are in the game. Deal with it lol
Fucking bash toys hidden most of the time...no one has a issue with his pop
Bumper caps. Everyone loves those.. Get over it already. If u remember the wolf had set of led eyes in a early picture. Shows that it can be moded. Do u really care about how detailed they are once u led them all? I don't, be happy they come with the game and u don't have to pay extra for them as a mod lol
Just my 2 cents as a hobbit buyer

You make a somewhat good point. I think all four of these figures will look fairly good once people mod them with menacing LED eyes. The eyes will give them that dark aura that may be missing, particularly with the spider, goblin and Orc(?). To me the Warg looks good anyway.

I also agree with Pimp above, the toys always look better when in the game. They are not meant to be stand alone toys. They are not action figures or models.

#1589 5 years ago

288460-i.jpg

I would say that the detail is similar between the MM troll and the Hobbit bash toys, only that Hobbit is a dark ruddy theme and the characters are consistent with the theme. MM has bright colors and comedy thus the bright green goofy troll goes with that theme.

#1590 5 years ago

Take a look at that spider and tell me that will not look awesome with six red LED eyes.

#1594 5 years ago

You have to keep in mind these figures are fairly small. This Goblin looks pretty darn close if you ask me:

goblin_hobbit.jpeg

#1600 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If you think that constitutes "pretty darn close", may I suggest a visit to your optometrist?

So what you are saying is that all toys based on characters should be 3-D CAD drawn and made by machines then.
No human, that a pinball company can afford, is going to make them like the LOTR figures where you can see the actors likenesses despite them being 2 inches tall.

#1709 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Not to digress too far or add fuel to a fire, your math is correct but you're leveraging the cubic nature of volume to prop up your argument a bit and that's not usually how scaling works. I would doubt anyone would look at the 2.25" figure compared to a 1.5" figure and say "Wow that's 5x the size!" despite the volume mathematically agreeing with that statement.
Now, as far as the JJP models go, I honestly think they look fine. They will never be perfect for everyone and as long as WB thinks they are good, I say move along and get them into a playing game, and film them being bashed!

I think Keith's point was that the depth was a design factor because they are bash toys that need to be robust while also fitting in a tight spot that does not have much depth. It is much easier to make something accurately in appearance when you have no limitations in all directions, unlike the pop up figures which had to be morphed to fit the shallow front-to-back space available.

#1719 5 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

This whole thread reminds me of the MMre coin mechanisms.
Some don't like the two heads. I think since three members of JJP posted here, and acknowledged the thoughts presented, the job is done.
Time to move on?

Yes, and the fact that we could go through any game ever made and pick apart individual toys, plastics and mechanisms for likes and dislikes.

I am not in on Hobbit or any other new games. I will wait and see how each game looks and plays when they are finished and be a comprehensive judge at that time. It is really hard to keep perspective when things are shown in piecemeal. It would be best if everybody tried their best to take a wait and see approach and also put away their biases.
Zeppelin is the only theme I may jump in without even seeing it first. There is always one.

#1771 5 years ago

I guess my question is how do they show the full game and still satisfy the studios requirement to avoid spoilers from the 3rd movie.

#1842 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Maybe they're just placeholders, I really hope so. Because they look awful. Frankly I'd trade pop bumper barrels for proper 3D molded axes, that's what's right in front of you.

I am not sure what you are looking for in an axe. Most have a fairly narrow profile. I am sure there will be mods if people don't like what is put on by the designer. Look at what people do with SS. Whatever JJP uses needs to have reinforcement to keep from snapping from a ball impact.

axe.jpg

#1986 5 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Id rather look at camel toe then read the tripe crazy has been posting incessantly. Yes forums are to discuss but youve got your point across 800 pages ago.

It sets the tone for all of Pinside. I was under the impression that Robin did not want that kind of Frank Further type posting on here.

#2018 5 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Doesn't mean the pin won't be great but Peter Jackson can't seem to make a great movie.

That is your opinion (peter Jackson wins best picture Oscar):

#2022 5 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Why are you wasting bandwidth and everyone's time with this crap?

chessiv stated an opinion as though it were fact. I felt it was right to show that a plurality of people disagree with his opinion.

#2024 5 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Dude you posted a stupid nearly 6 minute video that nearly no one cares about.

Nobody made you watch it.

There sure are a lot of rude people in this thread.

#2054 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

You guys are not thinking innovation. New stuff to push the envelope. That's what I'm talking about!

An LCD in the apron?

#2056 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

For what purpose (that would make more sense than showing the video on the main lcd?)

It may be helpful to have a display in the apron so you can see it while using the lower flippers.

1 month later
#2492 5 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

Here u go, keep in mind they look different in the machine, there is just white behind then and that doesnt give u the best idea of how they look in the game with the cover and the pf and lighting of the game. The ones on the bottom are the new ones. Old ones did not get a great reaction but more importantly I made them to large and they did not fit in the mech. So it was very clear for 2 big reasons they had to change

IMG_3272.JPG 116 KB

Great work Matt. These are especially nice considering the near 2D depth they have to be made.

#2820 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

The next redesign of the hobbit they should remove the third flipper. I know this has been brought up a bunch in the past and after viewing the latest video it is starting to bother me even more! Whats the point of the third flipper???

I would recommend asking Keith if it has a particular purpose. For those are not involved with the design it does not appear to have a specific purpose yet, but with code it could be very important or we could simply be missing something.
WOZ initially was this way, but I assure you the upper flipper is now a big part of the game for a good player.

#2822 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I read that it is used for quick shots after the ball leaves the pops or loops to it...such as a captive ball hit.

I would assume then that means some kind of timed shot payoff.

#2852 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I really love my WOZ... But I have to disagree with this statement. The mini playfield hides balls coming to the 3rd flipper (I'm assuming that's the one you're talking about??!), making it very tough to time. Nearly impossible actually, especially in multiball.
I can sometimes get a good Witch bash from it, and on RARE occasions I get a flukey crystal ball shot, but more often than not it feels like a flail shot.

I can make the witch skill shot from the plunge about 90% of the time which includes a nice skill shot bonus that increases the more times you do it. I don't even bother trying for the much riskier crystal ball or monkey skill shots that don't pay off well enough to match the risk. You do a short plunge and then can see the ball through the opening in the munchkin playfield and then strike the ball into the witch. Similarly, I use the upper flipper to get witch hurry up shots when the ball is coming out of the pops which is easy since the ball is slowed coming out of the pop bumpers. Additionally, the upper flipper can often be used to direct the ball to the left flipper in a controlled manner by holding it up. These are all skills that take a little practice but can be mastered by decent players.
The Witch hurry-ups are one of the most important parts of the ruleset so I bash the crap out of her while also trying to keep the risk of draining down.

#2859 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Light Bulb moment! How about changing the back of Smaug from the mountainside which is now gone, to a pile of gold and treasure? That way we can keep the 180 degree turn and he can "reveal" himself from the gold pile?
I realize its a kluge, but it might work. You could even have the rest of a Smaug body/neck going to a turning head in a pile of gold and have it still kind of work/make sense?

We already discussed that after Expo:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-improve-the-final-version-of-the-hobbit?tu=dcfan

#2871 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Good points for sure. I never go for that skill shot, as I think the better plan is a full plunge hoping to light the Winged Monkey targets.
What's that skill shot worth anyway? 17 points??!! Haha.

Witch skill shot is 5000 and increases each time you do it.

I also forgot to mention that the player must use the upper right flipper for the last shot in the melt the witch battle.

#3195 5 years ago
Quoted from vega:

Will the Hobbit LE And SE have a topper ?

no topper on the Hobbit

1 month later
#3727 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

» YouTube video

video is set to private

#3749 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

First a useless upper flipper in WOZ, and now one in Hobbit. I guess the useless flipper has become one of JJP's signature playfield features.

The upper flipper in WOZ is a big part of the game, especially if you want to win the witch hurry-ups to get to battle the witch. You also need to use the upper flipper for the final shot to melt the witch.
The upper flipper is also convenient for controlling the ball in several circumstances throughout the gameplay.

I could make the argument that the upper right flipper in TAF is useless. You can play that game and advance to the wizard mode without ever taking any other shots other than the center ramp and scoop.

#3754 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It's good to hear that Keefer figured out some clever ways to integrate the upper flipper. This was not the case back when I owned the game.

I guess the moral of the story is always give Keefer a chance to get deep with the code.
I have not played or even seen Hobbit in person, but I expect Keefer has some things planned for the extra flipper if they are not already programmed into the software.

#3758 5 years ago

I should have included Ted Estes in my comments. He also seems to really put his heart into the games he works on. He has often discussed code details with WOZ owners on the google group.

#3841 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Each drop target is individually controllable up and down. Never been done before.

The WOZ winkie drop target has that. Look at the mechanism under the playfield. There are two coils. One for raising the target and a small coil for causing the target to drop.

I believe what may be novel in Hobbit's drop targets is that they are banks of targets where each individual target is controllable up and down.

Edit: Keefer beat me to it.

#3842 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Point out a game that has multi bank (or even single) BI-DIRECTIONAL drop target control.

Cactus Canyon.

#3862 5 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Can't really tell what I'm looking at. Is it a lit drop target? All the drops on hobbit are black are they not?

It is the Mezelmods lighted drop target that is so popular.

#3921 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Cool...that yellow MMr armor in the background bugs me. Uggghhh. Glad Hobbit gold looks great and not like that yellow color.

In the video (post 3909), is that seaside bronze trim or gold?
Whatever it is, it does look better than the MMr gold for Hobbit.

2 months later
#5285 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Wow! This guy is talented, he's also an artist:
Web page and contact details here (for JJP):
http://quintonkappel.com/vocal-talent/

Holy crap. I wonder if he is expensive. He could be a goldmine for pinball manufacturers.

#5507 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

It's both. Better get your e-lawyer ready.

Keefer, if there ever was a case for Jack to get a lawyer involved with what someone is saying about JJP, this guy may be #1 on the list.

#5509 4 years ago

Vague implications and insinuations can be just as slanderous as straight up lies, especially when harping on those vague notions over and over again.

2 weeks later
#6028 4 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

You are better at searching to find the group than I am. Can someone post the actual name of the JJP owners group to make it easier for the rest of us to find it?

You have to contact Jen at JJP to ask to be invited to the group.

2 weeks later
#6254 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

This is the quietest period I can remember from JJP. Very odd.

Jack has been posting in the google group.

#6288 4 years ago
Quoted from madscientist101:

I feel getting the SE edition is best if your going to have the hobbit next to a Lotr as they match very nice. Just my 2 cents and why I changed from a LE to a SE

I doubt the Hobbit SE gold paint would look good next to a brass plated LOTR.

3 months later
#8105 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Just for clarification, when people are hoping Stern puts an LCD into the game, do you mean an LCD the size of JJP's or an LCD roughly the same size as a DMD?

Any of the above is what people want.

#8106 4 years ago

double post, Pinside is acting strange again.

1 week later
#8353 4 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Sure...the name is Tee's Tease which is in a gated community in Corolla. It's rented under Village realty (CC125). You can Google it. I'll make a donation to Pinside for rentals from here. There's a trolley to take you to the beach during summer months.

I just looked it up. Nice place.

1 week later
#8723 4 years ago

Thanks for posting the link. I enjoyed reading the history of your business. Thanks for what you have done and continue to do for our hobby.

6 months later
#9540 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Recessed start button is awesome! I wonder if that can be retrofitted to WOZ.

I doubt the large Hobbit start button would work on WOZ since the cabinet hole is small.
Herg made a mod to house the start button to prevent accidental presses.
I don't think a lot of people saw this thread. The parts are inexpensive. Herg posted the housing on shapeways so anybody could get one at the shapeways price.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/request-start-button-cover-for-woz

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Prairie, WI
$ 12.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside