Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damonator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6403 4 years ago

wow - a lot of information to digest.

Gandalf is doing the game specific call outs - but they are awaiting studio approval on the voice actor....I think he said two or three weeks before they get the recordings done.

Two Steps From Hell are doing some music tracks in the game (very cool). David Thiel's stuff sounded incredible as well - I think TH will easily have the most sound (and maybe the best sound) of any pin to date.

1500-1600 sold so far.

No ship dates yet, but he did mention WOZs are on a 40 day back order. (is he planning to hire more staff to build TH?).

He talked about Pindemption quite a bit - basically a timed game with objectives that rewards tickets. This will be added to TH and WOZ. He mentioned having to buy the ticket dispensor and a new "dongle" to make it work if you want this functionality.

There will be dedicated GI in TH in addition to RGB.

TH has 17 more drivers than WOZ on the I/O board. (More stuff!!)

The videos of the LCD screens show a much more polished GUI than WOZ. It was really slick.

Overall - I'm very excited about everything I saw, but reading between the lines I think it will be Q4 before the build starts (I hope I'm wrong and they pull off Q3).

And PS - a new code update for WOZ coming in a few weeks.

#6463 4 years ago

Did anyone go to the VIP Hobbit release party in Denver? Or play it this weekend?

#6465 4 years ago
Quoted from eXidy:

I played the game this weekend at the showdown. The game was amazing and way more fun than expected. Today ill take some photos and maybe some video.

Thanks eXidy - that would be awesome - great to hear you were so impressed!

#6492 4 years ago
Quoted from eXidy:

Pix I took at the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown

Thanks eXidy - I like everything I see.

Jack - I think everyone agrees that the game is far enough along now. Please proceed with production startup. I know that you have been waiting on my approval before you began...and now you have it.

#6515 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Here's what I see when I look at the SE:
DragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonHobbitDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragonDragon
(Can you spot the Hobbit???)

I personally wish it had more Dragon!!! SE all the way! My bet is that the gold looks way better in person - similar to the red on the 75th WOZ.

3 weeks later
#7232 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

There are approximately 10,400 Pin2k machines built. How many "just playfields" do you see for sale? I think i've seen one in 5 years. That was swappable and no one went that route especially ops. They had a RFM and a SWEP1 right next to each other. It's great in theory but some ops have a hard time windexing a playfield with their skillset and you want them to swap a playfield and load software?
I'm not seeing it.

I have a mint RFM kit for sale right now in fact!

Quoted from robotron:

I am sitting on the fence with the hobbit to go next to my woz . i am also looking for Pinball Circus. i refuse to pay in full for a game i don't know when will ship! when its ready/in stock ill buy one.

I think Pinball Circus will be a fun novelty - but not even remotely in the same league as The Hobbit. I would only be interested if I had a lot of room to spare...but I don't.

#7235 4 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

I'm pretty sure everyone who JJP was holding cash for got their WOZ. I did. Serious question... what has changed to where there is a concern for TH ? If anything, I would think people feel less concerned with TH because of WOZ shipping to everyone.
I'm glad the prepay model is gone though.

The concern is that JJPs business model was entirely based on prepay. Without funds coming in on prepays for game #3, Jack is forced into a different model and has to find other investors or slowly build up the money to get Hobbit production started. I have faith that he can pull it off - but I'm sure it hasn't been easy.

2 weeks later
#7458 4 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Attention MODS...please unlink MG and RAZA from this thread. Apparently some kook named Crazyoranges linked them. TIA!

Maybe they should stay linked....ispy JPop In line for the Hobbit!

image.jpg

1 week later
#7556 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Yes, they can continue to execute the pre-order model. Just like I can choose to not participate in it. The world has changed in my opinion. Multiple year waits for pre-ordered pinball machines just don't cut it anymore. And outside of Jack, others did it and failed massively. So I'm reluctant to do it again, even with Jack's track record of delivering games. The ups and downs are not worth it. Maybe I'm getting old, but I'll just wait on the sidelines until I can buy it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did an LE that was pre-order only on JJP#3. Standard version would be no pre-orders. This would give him to have some up-front cash and would probably be sufficient risk/reward to compel some buyers to still do a pre-order.

I'd prefer to see a Spooky/Heighway model though - a set # of LEs and a deposit to hold the game.

#7625 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Whether I'm in the majority or minority I have no clue, but in my opinion Tron is one of the best games ever made. For me, it has the one more game factor more than anything I've played.
I sold my Hobbit spot for one, but I hope TH is awesome. I'm looking forward to playing the production version and I'm sure I'll end up with one at some point.

I'm with you 100% - Tron is my favorite pinball I've ever played. Period.

I know Hobbit is going to be spectacular in its own way, but it's going to be a long time before anything surpasses Tron...for me at least.

2 weeks later
#8091 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Agreed. But I think there is new blood in this hobby that will buy.

I saw a buttload of WOZs being built in the factory pics from this past weekend...and they are still have 40 more orders to catch up. As most of the Pinside crowd have already bought their WOZ, that tells me there is plenty of new money out there to support $8k games. The current prices are higher than I would like to pay - but those prices are here to stay I'm afraid.

#8096 4 years ago

What was somewhat disappointing for me looking through the pics of the open house was that there was no indication of a second production line being assembled (for concurrent WOZ/TH production). JJP can't say "we are just waiting on parts" as an excuse for not building out the second production line.

So either:

A) there will never be two production lines and they are going to build a surplus of 200 or so WOZ machines before changing the line over to TH.
B) a second line will be built at some point for TH...but I am highly doubtful they can spin up an entire production line in time to "start production in Oct"

My only hope is that those stacked cabinets were hiding the second line...but I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to show that off at the open house?

Either way it doesn't give me much hope that production will start in Oct. Bummer.

#8219 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

When you see smoke pouring out of the house... do you wait for the flame to burn your hand before you are convinced there is a fire somewhere?
You are making up artificial standards as the only thing that matters so you can conveniently ignore everything else. You quickly seem to forget the LAST round of investment.. what did that actually add.. why they needed a SECOND round as well? There is a reason they won't tell you exactly what the new money will add... and you can keep ignoring realities like
- they supposedly have all this demand.. but won't ramp up production to match it
- they have documented credit issues
- we have cited vendor payment issues
- we have a company that has operated for years with very few income streams
- we have products that have been years late - this does not come for free!!
All of these things are undeniable examples of things that put pressure on financials and are signs of smoke in terms of sustainability. If there were no financial strains, most of the above wouldn't happen, and the founder would not have had to take on investors like he so adamently believed he wouldn't. The reason to change your mind is because you NEED them. If he had all the financial resources he needed w/o them.. he wouldn't NEED investors.
Sometimes this forum sounds like the 'Earth is flat society' -- they just don't want to believe what is in front of them.

My sources say the vendors are now paid and large orders have been placed - so the new money is certainly a good thing. I cut JJP a little slack because the pre-order model completely imploded in the last year...kudos to them for finding new investors. I am much more confident that everyone will get their Hobbit now - hopefully sooner rather than later.

#8223 4 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the pre-order model start with JJP?

They did - and then JPop/SkitB destroyed it. So basically there is no pre-order money to be collected for JJP game 3. That money was probably needed to get Hobbit production going in full force. Since that didn't happen, investment money was necessary...my kudos were for being able to get out of the pre-order model and survive.

#8224 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

What does it mean when a business practicing the pre-pay model is under a cash crunch before the first machine rolls off the line? The first thousand machines are paid for and there isn't money to pay vendors? Just think about that for a moment and realize how bad things really must be in Joisey.

It means that the pre-pay model died before Hobbit production started.

WOZ prepay money funded R&D and startup costs.

Hobbit prepay money funded WOZ production and Hobbit R&D.

JJP3 prepay money would have funded Hobbit production and JJP3 R&D.

So on and so forth...but they had to switch gears and abandon the pre-pay model...which is where the investment money comes in.

I'm sure the original plan was to have successful enough runs of 2000+ units per game and eventually wean off of the pre-pay model in the long run but that didn't happen.

#8334 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well I'll say this, I criticized the Hobbit's art when it came out. And JP really came through with upgrading it. Hats of to JJP for listening, going back, and getting it right. I think it made a huge difference.
I can't see Stern listening to the horrible (and well deserved) feedback on the GoT art and saying "you're right" and taking the time to redo it. There's no point in even breaking down the art problems, it would be a waste of time.
Two medieval themes, with dragons, there's just no way they're not going to be compared here. And Stern isn't coming out as the winner when it comes to presentation so far.

Maybe they will listen and spend a little more time on the Premium art. But it's going to take a while to sell off 700 LEs!

I think the layout looks pretty cool - looking forward to playing it.

#8368 4 years ago
Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

I really like the look of that as well. It just makes the whole cabinet feel more cohesive and well thought out.

Should hide fingerprints MUCH better than normal glossy powdercoat. I like it!

But the coin door needs powdercoat too!!

1 week later
#8502 4 years ago

Seems like we are finally at the end of a long and difficult journey of the making of The Hobbit pinball. The game looks absolutely stunning. Congrats JJP!

#8515 4 years ago

GOTvsHOBBIT.jpg

#8519 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Apple, meet orange.. sigh....

Sorry - couldn't resist.

#8532 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

GOT layout looks more fun to play IMO when looking at them side by side.

Really? GOT is just another fan layout (with a fan layout upper PF). I like the numerous drop targets and pop up bash toys on TH - it will be a nice change from the norm.

#8613 4 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Ugh, yeah after the whole GOTLE and now seeing updated pf of TH..starting to regret canceling mine too.. was in way early Nov 2012 and just got sick of waiting in May..
and was $1200 less than MSRP, including shipping at the time... bummer!

Kind of surprised this is still around now:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-hobbit-smaug-gold-spot-for-sale-8000

something to consider if you wanted back in... (I have no relation to buyer/seller - just remember seeing it a few months back)

#8615 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The "victory" that JJP gets to declare is:
1) The appearance of TH blows away GOT
2) Given what's included in TH, notwithstanding how it plays versus GOT, most people recognize the major value proposition that JJP has over a full featured Stern pin right now.
Because of 1) and 2) above, I would consider "owning" TH if it was great fun, despite canceling my pre order. And I won't consider "owning" a GOTLE because of 1) and 2).
Doesn't mean GOT won't be great to play. I'll be happy to play the $7900 LE on location or at a friends house! I won't "own" it, like many others.

I waited to buy a TWDLE and STLE for a year after their respective releases - their code is finally complete, more character callouts were added (albeit not by Stern on TWD), and both were cheaper than at release time.

I can see doing the same on GOT LE/Prem if alternate translite art is available and the game plays really well.

1 week later
#8760 4 years ago

Rad-Cal video from JJP just dropped. I really wasn't even considering getting these...until I just saw them. Wow.

#8762 4 years ago

It was just published today

#8768 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, definitely an old video.

Haha - ok - new to me then - missed it the first time around.

3 months later
#9249 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

JJP posted some Smaug cabinets on their FB page

Progress...but it feels like watching the grass grow.

I soooo want to see an actual unboxing....

1 month later
#9380 3 years ago

I'm actually ok if it's floaty - I don't want every game I own to kick me in the nuts - TWD/Tron/ST are all brutally fast.

1 month later
#9642 3 years ago
Quoted from halpain24:

Just got the call. My TH SE is out for delivery today!

...and you just recently ordered it? How did you manage that?

#9663 3 years ago
Quoted from halpain24:

Maybe I opened a can of worms with all this being so excited
but I don't see it as new money>Old money because if someone backed out of a pin that the distributor already had and they sold it to me then, unless that distributor had someone waiting in line before me I skipped no one. Maybe someone else had an SE on order but not that number correct? and even then I guess I didn't know where they stand shipping anyway. Are people out there still waiting? I know people waited years due to preorders, but I thought those were shipping now. Anyway, didn't mean to rile people up. Just exited to play it. Plus it's really for the wife. So I'm glad she's happy.

Yes, a lot of people that paid in full 40 months ago are still waiting for their game. If I were a distributor, I would make sure everyone that placed an order through me received their games based upon when they placed their order...then sell any unsold games. And maybe that's what happened in your case - but regardless, you did nothing wrong - enjoy your new Hobbit!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Machine - For Sale
Arlington, VA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damonator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside